UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kohinoor

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:20 pm

uvahooo wrote:when should you start freaking out if you have nothing over the summer? I had a few interviews... and I am still waiting to hear back. If people don't hear anything, do they just RA?

You're ahead of the many people who had no interviews or already got rejections. As said above, put out feelers with the profs you have relationships with. You should probably talk to someone about interning with local judges so you also are able to move on that option.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 pm

I'm sure it's been discussed, but does the roommate situation really make Copeley unlivable for a law student? Are all other graduate students party animals? It seems like you'd have roommates in most other housing as well. The relative cheapness and convenience appeals to me.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Frankie55 wrote:I'm sure it's been discussed, but does the roommate situation really make Copeley unlivable for a law student? Are all other graduate students party animals? It seems like you'd have roommates in most other housing as well. The relative cheapness and convenience appeals to me.
I haven't heard of any problems with non-law roommates partying too much (though I have heard a lot about freakishly introverted types), but, dude, you're on TLS. Find a roommate here.

BushyPotter

Postby BushyPotter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:22 am

Is UVA a crazy party school? I'm not really a party goer and I don't drink so being pressured to party and drink all the time would be a huge annoyance...I'm used to parties and drinking being a huge part of college life and at my undergrad college I have a bunch of friends and they all know I'm the homebody type so I have no problems with that now, but I know that in law school, being part of the law school student community would make things easier for me so I was just wondering if you had to go out and party to make friends at UVA or could you be laid back and still fit in?...Kind of a stupid question, but it helps put things in perspective

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:21 am

Frankie55 wrote:I'm sure it's been discussed, but does the roommate situation really make Copeley unlivable for a law student? Are all other graduate students party animals? It seems like you'd have roommates in most other housing as well. The relative cheapness and convenience appeals to me.

At Copely you share a bedroom with someone else, like in an undergrad dorm. Furthermore, since no law students live in Copely, odds are your roommate won't be a law student. For reasons involving privacy, getting a good night's sleep, and interactions with members of the opposite sex (or of the same sex, if that's your style), you will almost certainly want your own bedroom.

BushyPotter wrote:Is UVA a crazy party school? I'm not really a party goer and I don't drink so being pressured to party and drink all the time would be a huge annoyance...I'm used to parties and drinking being a huge part of college life and at my undergrad college I have a bunch of friends and they all know I'm the homebody type so I have no problems with that now, but I know that in law school, being part of the law school student community would make things easier for me so I was just wondering if you had to go out and party to make friends at UVA or could you be laid back and still fit in?...Kind of a stupid question, but it helps put things in perspective

You don't need to go out and party to make friends. You can make friends in your classes (especially your small section), and in student organizations. Plenty of people here never go out and fit in fine.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Cavalier wrote:

At Copely you share a bedroom with someone else, like in an undergrad dorm. Furthermore, since no law students live in Copely, odds are your roommate won't be a law student. For reasons involving privacy, getting a good night's sleep, and interactions with members of the opposite sex (or of the same sex, if that's your style), you will almost certainly want your own bedroom.

BushyPotter wrote:Is UVA a crazy party school? I'm not really a party goer and I don't drink so being pressured to party and drink all the time would be a huge annoyance...I'm used to parties and drinking being a huge part of college life and at my undergrad college I have a bunch of friends and they all know I'm the homebody type so I have no problems with that now, but I know that in law school, being part of the law school student community would make things easier for me so I was just wondering if you had to go out and party to make friends at UVA or could you be laid back and still fit in?...Kind of a stupid question, but it helps put things in perspective

You don't need to go out and party to make friends. You can make friends in your classes (especially your small section), and in student organizations. Plenty of people here never go out and fit in fine.

Several law students live in Copeley. And frankly having a non law student roommate is a great idea.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:50 pm

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:57 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Several law students live in Copeley. And frankly having a non law student roommate is a great idea.

I know of no 2Ls or 3Ls that do (or 1Ls for that matter, but I know less about 1Ls). The only law student I knew who lived there was there for a few months because his off-campus apartment burned down.

:|

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:50 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I know of no 2Ls or 3Ls that do (or 1Ls for that matter, but I know less about 1Ls). The only law student I knew who lived there was there for a few months because his off-campus apartment burned down.

I don't know any either.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:19 pm

This brief can eat me.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:12 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:This brief can eat me.

Just remember, it's pass/fail.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:16 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

I'm just curious, but what percentage of students actually fail LRW? And what sort of things would generally constitute a fail? In other words, if you turned it a piece of crap, as long as you completed the task, would you generally be fine?

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:24 pm

How do students looking to go into IP do compared to rest job-wise? Same/worse/better? Depending on background?

I want to go to UVA but having a hard time pulling the trigger because I'd be giving up a decent job to go. I am trying to get a decent picture of the actual risk I would be taking on.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:35 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

I'm just curious, but what percentage of students actually fail LRW? And what sort of things would generally constitute a fail? In other words, if you turned it a piece of crap, as long as you completed the task, would you generally be fine?

I don't know of anyone who failed LRW. I do know of some people who were placed on fail watch. As long as you turn in your stuff on time and make a reasonable effort, then you'll be fine.

If it looks like a brief, is written in English, has acceptable structure, and regurgitates the legal analysis that you've been told to apply, you'll be fine.

FWIW - you should at least make sure you understand the basics of what you're doing. But, beyond that, take the time to focus on other classes.

UVAHoo2013

Postby UVAHoo2013 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Last edited by UVAHoo2013 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cholza00

Postby cholza00 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:39 am

Do any current students or locals have any insight into SO's working in the Charlottesville area? My fiancee is graduating with her accounting degree in May, she's already landed a few offers in other areas, so I think if the opportunities are around, she shouldn't have too much trouble... What we don't is if the opportunities are actually around in the smaller Charlottesville market?

plum

Postby plum » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:54 pm

does anyone know of a storage facility in charlottesville where i can keep furniture and stuff?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:30 pm

so why do i hear so many terrible things about ivy gardens on TLS when like half the 1L class lives there and has nothing THAT bad to say about it? i am here now touring and TCR for 1Ls is pretty much ivy gardens

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:40 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:so why do i hear so many terrible things about ivy gardens on TLS when like half the 1L class lives there and has nothing THAT bad to say about it? i am here now touring and TCR for 1Ls is pretty much ivy gardens

Has anyone you've talked to had anything very negative to say about anything?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:so why do i hear so many terrible things about ivy gardens on TLS when like half the 1L class lives there and has nothing THAT bad to say about it? i am here now touring and TCR for 1Ls is pretty much ivy gardens

Parking?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

yes, i mean not much but some little things

r6_philly wrote:Parking?

one example of several

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:06 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Parking?

one example of several

I saw a lack of places to get things to eat.

I also think there is a lack of free food and drinks - but I may be wrong on this.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Has anyone you've talked to had anything very negative to say about anything?

I was kinda mystified and even a little frustrated that I couldn't get anyone to say anything substantively bad about UVA. I even spoke to a 3L who doesn't have a job lined up yet, she still seemed pleased.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:17 pm

suspicious android wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Has anyone you've talked to had anything very negative to say about anything?

I was kinda mystified and even a little frustrated that I couldn't get anyone to say anything substantively bad about UVA. I even spoke to a 3L who doesn't have a job lined up yet, she still seemed pleased.

It's in the water!

The experience is apparently very very good. I think many people expressed feelings of sadness about graduating.

I may be a bit too old for feeling that way though. This is but a stepping stone to better things.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”