UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BruceWayne

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:06 pm

RVP11 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:You're being harsh on people but you have to remember that everyone doesn't think like the TLS majority: i.e. they don't solely decide where to live/work based on highest chance at a firm job. For a lot of people QOL, family, friends, and COL determine where they want to live/work. A lot of people aren't happy living somewhere where they can't have any of those 4. To a lot of people NYC isn't really a great place to live if you don't have friends/family there and aren't loaded with funds.

I agree with you, but how exactly was I being "harsh?"

The "not learning" part. I just think it's a lot easier said than done (giving up on trying to live where you would actually be happy and choosing solely based on likelihood of getting a firm job).

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:13 pm

quakeroats wrote:What's your favorite Feb Club party?

--ImageRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

The one where I stay home and play Scrabbulous.

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:53 pm

Are there any decent golf courses near the school? Is golf a hobby that many students at the school partake in? It's hard to get a feel for what hobbies most UVA students are involved in, aside from partying and softball lol.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:56 pm

pjo wrote:Are there any decent golf courses near the school? Is golf a hobby that many students at the school partake in? It's hard to get a feel for what hobbies most UVA students are involved in, aside from partying and softball lol.

Birdwood Golf Course which is associated with Boar's Head. Its a nice course that offers good student discounts.

http://www.boarsheadinn.com/Golf/About- ... Passes.asp

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:00 am

plum wrote:does anyone know if you are allowed to submit the same note to law review as you use to fulfill the VJIL note requirement? thanks.

While some people will stay on their secondary journals, many, if not most, people will resign from their secondary journal after they're offered a position on the Law Review. I think there is little to advantage to remaining on a secondary journal and Law Review tends to be a pretty significant time commitment at times.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Is anyone familiar with the Clarke Court area?

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:Any one currently at UVA or who has been looking at places to live have a suggestion for a one person place? I don't care about style (studio/efficiency/1 bedroom/whatever) and don't mind having to drive in a little ways My commute for work was generally 20-30 minutes and I thought it was a nice break between work at work and work at home. Preferably ≤750/month, but I realize college towns are expensive. I'm coming down for a few days around the March open house and would love to be able to get housing taken care of then. Thanks in advance.

Shameless bump.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:45 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:
Shameless bump.

Northwoods at the Four Seasons is advertising a 1BR for $775 - not sure what the conditions are since that's less than their usual rate. That's for 750 sq ft.

I know some grad students that have stayed there in the past.

Here's a google map link: http://Error.com/4b7tnrf

dubunamjah

Postby dubunamjah » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Can someone who has access to the exam database give me access to Elizabeth Scott's Crimlaw exams? This is her first year teaching Crimlaw at my school, so we don't have access to any :(.

Thanks a lot!

useruser

Postby useruser » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Hey guys, Id appreciate anyone would weigh in on my poll
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149543
Thanks a bunch!

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:50 pm

useruser wrote:Hey guys, Id appreciate anyone would weigh in on my poll
Thanks a bunch!

Are you trying to skew the results in UVA's favor??

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:27 pm

How many attempt to note onto Law Review? At first I would have assumed not very many, but I'm starting to get a different idea.

useruser

Postby useruser » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:36 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
useruser wrote:Hey guys, Id appreciate anyone would weigh in on my poll
Thanks a bunch!

Are you trying to skew the results in UVA's favor??

Haha, no I posted in both schools discuss your law school. I am just trying get some perspectives from people who have had to make similar disicions. thanks for your help.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:57 am

BruceWayne wrote:How many attempt to note onto Law Review? At first I would have assumed not very many, but I'm starting to get a different idea.

A lot of people submit notes to the pools, but I don't think many are making a serious effort--most them basically just submit a paper they wrote for a seminar and hope for the best, I believe. Your toughest competition won't be from students trying to note on; it will be from Law Review members trying to publish to boost their clerkship and/or academia prospects.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:02 pm

As for electives in the spring, do 1Ls pretty much have all classes available to them?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:55 am

Cavalier wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:How many attempt to note onto Law Review? At first I would have assumed not very many, but I'm starting to get a different idea.

A lot of people submit notes to the pools, but I don't think many are making a serious effort--most them basically just submit a paper they wrote for a seminar and hope for the best, I believe. Your toughest competition won't be from students trying to note on; it will be from Law Review members trying to publish to boost their clerkship and/or academia prospects.

So they count these people as part of the pool that non law review note writers compete with for the various "pools"?

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:10 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

So they count these people as part of the pool that non law review note writers compete with for the various "pools"?

I think they count them in the sense that if you want to note on you have to get published, and it's harder to get published the more decent work gets submitted. It's on big pile of student notes I think.

Noting on is, I've gathered, very difficult. Grading on is a pretty sure thing, writing on is a grab bag, noting on is very unlikely. I know a lot of people didn't do the journal tryout and said they would publish on their own. I doubt many of them ever do it. The journal tryout is a screening mechanism for doing boring rote editing, compressed reading, and then writing. If you can't do it in a weekend it's hard for me to imagine people do it on their own time with no pressure constraints to drive the work.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Yeah, in each pool all submitted notes are considered together. There are no spots "reserved" for note-ons; if a non-member's piece is selected for publication, then he or she will be invited to join.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:07 pm

LLB2JD wrote:As for electives in the spring, do 1Ls pretty much have all classes available to them?

Basically, there are no restrictions. But some classes won't be available because either (a) 2Ls and 3Ls have filled them already, or (b) they meet at the same time as Con Law or Property.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Cavalier wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:As for electives in the spring, do 1Ls pretty much have all classes available to them?

Basically, there are no restrictions. But some classes won't be available because either (a) 2Ls and 3Ls have filled them already, or (b) they meet at the same time as Con Law or Property.

or you haven't fulfilled the prereqs because you're a 1L.

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Random topic here and I apologize if it's already been covered...I'm looking to go the less-traditional route for 1st year housing and forgo the Jeffersonian/Ivy Gardens/etc. I've been searching on Craigslist for a week or 2 and I haven't received one response back, not one! I've never had this problem before, is there something I should know? Do renters in Charlottesville just hate law students?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:04 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

I think they count them in the sense that if you want to note on you have to get published, and it's harder to get published the more decent work gets submitted. It's on big pile of student notes I think.

Noting on is, I've gathered, very difficult. Grading on is a pretty sure thing, writing on is a grab bag, noting on is very unlikely. I know a lot of people didn't do the journal tryout and said they would publish on their own. I doubt many of them ever do it. The journal tryout is a screening mechanism for doing boring rote editing, compressed reading, and then writing. If you can't do it in a weekend it's hard for me to imagine people do it on their own time with no pressure constraints to drive the work.

Not at all. You only have 72 hours to do a hell of a lot of bluebooking (the 10 pg editing comp) and then you have to read quite a lot of material, then pump out a 10 page correctly footnoted extremely well written essay in the middle of the 1L semester when you have other things to be doing. You could write a note over the summer or during 2L. That said it seems apparent that your competition is higher for the note. I'm not sure I'd call grading on a "sure" thing. The only time that's "sure" is after you've completed 1L and seen that your GPA is a 3.8. At any point before that it's totally up in the air and you could lose it within the span of 4 hours (i.e while taking one of your 1L exams) and you wouldn't even know it.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:51 pm

when should you start freaking out if you have nothing over the summer? I had a few interviews... and I am still waiting to hear back. If people don't hear anything, do they just RA?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:31 pm

uvahooo wrote:when should you start freaking out if you have nothing over the summer? I had a few interviews... and I am still waiting to hear back. If people don't hear anything, do they just RA?

That's what the people who haven't found anything yet have told me. I wouldn't stress about it, but you should start talking to professors quickly.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:40 pm

uvahooo wrote:when should you start freaking out if you have nothing over the summer? I had a few interviews... and I am still waiting to hear back. If people don't hear anything, do they just RA?

Don't freak out. You still have interviews remaining, and you can RA as a backup plan. There's nothing wrong with being a RA; OGI employers won't hold your 1L summer job against you as long as it's law-related.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”