UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
plmls

New

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by plmls » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:38 pm

I want to try my luck with negotiating for more money although the scholarship they give me is already a far reach for me. A law school student can always use some extra money, right? :)

I have 2 questions, can anybody help me?

First, I'll attend the March ASW, should I ask about the money before or after the visit? Second, is there any particular person or email address I should write to?

Thanks.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:13 pm

RVP11 wrote:Everyone should go for VJIL because it's so prestigious and a big leg up at OGI.
lol

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:19 pm

Cavalier wrote:
RVP11 wrote:Everyone should go for VJIL because it's so prestigious and a big leg up at OGI.
lol
i heard you become chummy chummy with your interviewer. Thinking about applying to vigil and social policy.

Woooo.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:13 pm

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:34 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
uvahooo wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
lol
i heard you become chummy chummy with your interviewer. Thinking about applying to vigil and social policy.

Woooo.
Tax Review.

In your heart, you know it's right.

[More seriously, VTR picked too many LR people last year and had a smaller-than-normal 2L editorial pool, so they're presently understaffed.]
right, but it's going to get more complicated now that everyone knows that. At least two people have told me about this over the past week :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:41 pm

gladiator wrote:
whoknows12 wrote:does anybody know the general order of hardest to easiest journals to get on to?
It varies year to year but generally:

Law Review
International (VJIL)
Politics, Social Policy, Tax
Business, Environmental
Technology, Sports/Entertainment

Not sure where Criminal fits in, it's a fairly new journal.
Hell I wouldn't even include LR on an hard v. easy list. More like impossible(law review) v. hard/easy (the rest of them). 15 write on spots for 368 students....lol

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:58 pm

whoknows12 wrote:does anybody know the general order of hardest to easiest journals to get on to?
Honest answer - it varies every year. Some years VJIL is the 'hardest' to get on while other years Law & Social Policy is hardest. It's difficult to predict. Our year, VJIL had fewer than average tryouts (per rumor) because there was a reputation for it requiring dramatically more time (probably not true) than other journals.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:14 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
whoknows12 wrote:reputation for it requiring dramatically more time (probably not true) than other journals.
It's the only journal with a note requirement (other than LR) which is at least some time increase, even if you do a paper course. I'm also pretty sure I've heard horror stories of cite checks involving all kinds of treaties and weird foreign sources that are harder to pull than SCOTUS cases and LR articles.

It might still be exaggerated, but based on those two pieces of evidence it wouldn't surprise me if it really was a bigger time commitment.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:20 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 pm

thesealocust wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
whoknows12 wrote:reputation for it requiring dramatically more time (probably not true) than other journals.
It's the only journal with a note requirement (other than LR) which is at least some time increase, even if you do a paper course. I'm also pretty sure I've heard horror stories of cite checks involving all kinds of treaties and weird foreign sources that are harder to pull than SCOTUS cases and LR articles.

It might still be exaggerated, but based on those two pieces of evidence it wouldn't surprise me if it really was a bigger time commitment.
This is hearsay, but I've heard that they separate the source finding from the cite checking. If that's really the case, then hunting down odd sources isn't that bad.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:29 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
gladiator wrote:
It varies year to year but generally:

Law Review
International (VJIL)
Politics, Social Policy, Tax
Business, Environmental
Technology, Sports/Entertainment

Not sure where Criminal fits in, it's a fairly new journal.
Hell I wouldn't even include LR on an hard v. easy list. More like impossible(law review) v. hard/easy (the rest of them). 15 write on spots for 368 students....lol
tbf there could be some overlap between those who write on and those who grade on, but yeah, 15ish out of 368 is not what i would call good odds.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:02 pm

I have literally heard 0 good things about this journal, including from people who are on it. Lots of work (citechecks, note requirement, etc.) for no real benefit...except the uber prestige of course. I mean if you like International Law it may be worth it...

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:08 pm

JOURNAL TRYOUTS TOMORROW

:(

BOOOOOOO

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:06 am

So I'm doing the journal tryouts this weekend and I'm embarrassed to admit that I just realized I don't really understand some of the important details of this process. Do I need to pick up a physical packet tomorrow? If so, where/when/how???

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:08 am

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:55 pm

I am wondering about your opinions of this location:

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks in advance

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:52 pm

LLB2JD wrote:I am wondering about your opinions of this location:

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks in advance
I'd guess that it's nearly 100% undergrads.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oscodasa

Bronze

Post by oscodasa » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:53 am

I have a question regarding housing at UVa...What do you do with your place during the summer, assuming you take a position outside of Charlottesville? As it's more of a college town I assume it's harder to sublet and I doubt many places offer 9 month leases...so to that end, what is the most common path here?

Thank you in advance!

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:15 pm

oscodasa wrote:I have a question regarding housing at UVa...What do you do with your place during the summer, assuming you take a position outside of Charlottesville? As it's more of a college town I assume it's harder to sublet and I doubt many places offer 9 month leases...so to that end, what is the most common path here?

Thank you in advance!
+1

I'd also be interested in this.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:16 pm

oscodasa wrote:I have a question regarding housing at UVa...What do you do with your place during the summer, assuming you take a position outside of Charlottesville? As it's more of a college town I assume it's harder to sublet and I doubt many places offer 9 month leases...so to that end, what is the most common path here?

Thank you in advance!
1) Get a lease that doesn't run through the summer.

2) Pay through the summer even though you're not there.

There are no other choices, really. And with the huge number of summer vacancies (due to both undergrad and grad students leaving for the summer) the odds of finding a subletter are low... assuming your lease even allows a sublet. I'd just plan on not being able to. If you're really concerned, find a 9-month lease.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Don't plan on subletting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sherpaorlawschool

Bronze

Post by sherpaorlawschool » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:43 pm

This may not be the right place for these questions, but I wanted to ask people at UVA about this specifically so I hope that's alright.

I've been looking at the Go To Law schools thread and noticed that there isn't much activity from folks here. What are people's thoughts here about UVA's placement numbers? Am I right in assuming that since it didn't include clerks that over half the class could likely place in to big law still? What's the difference in the OGI placement and the NLJ numbers? Did a higher percentage of the class get 2L SA's and then a substantial number got no offered? I'm just trying to get context for the data in the case of UVA because it seems like there are pieces that are missing and that, by itself, the number doesn't tell me some things about the placement of the class as a whole.

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:51 pm

No one really knows man. The school does not publish that stuff, and probably for good reason, because then people look into the numbers way too much. Honestly, id say if you are around median at this school, it would be hard not to get a job that is worthwhile, be it biglaw or PI. Most kids I know around median did well, some did extremely well if they can interview, and those that didnt get a job with median numbers did not do a good job of playing the market (i.e. applying to ny) or didnt pick the right firms (out of their league). 46% class of 2010 got jobs paying six figures and they did oci at a time the dow hit 6000, to me thats pretty ridiculous.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:12 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:46% class of 2010 got jobs paying six figures and they did oci at a time the dow hit 6000, to me thats pretty ridiculous.
The class of 2010 did OGI in August/September of 2008. The Dow was between 11,000 and 12,000.

Class of 2010 got hit with a lot of no-offers, but it's a widely held opinion that class of 2011 had it harder overall, and their placement numbers will be even lower than 2010's.

Brock2010

New

Post by Brock2010 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Any idea what percentage of grads go for biglaw in the first place?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”