UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
showNprove

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby showNprove » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:06 pm

Anyone else think that SRO is conspiring to release all the J-Term grades at once so that they don't have to deal with students complaining about when theirs are going to be posted?

The Achieve Of

Postby The Achieve Of » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:38 pm

How much of a disadvantage would a commute of an hour or so leave me with? Does anyone have experience with this?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:40 pm

showNprove wrote:Anyone else think that SRO is conspiring to release all the J-Term grades at once so that they don't have to deal with students complaining about when theirs are going to be posted?

I'm just wondering when SRO will finish releasing Fall grades.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:02 pm

showNprove wrote:Anyone else think that SRO is conspiring to release all the J-Term grades at once so that they don't have to deal with students complaining about when theirs are going to be posted?

Ask and you shall receive!

The first J-Term course eval has been posted. And yes, I am pretty sure I am the reason. I wield that kind of influence around here.

omg

Postby omg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:11 pm

The Achieve Of wrote:How much of a disadvantage would a commute of an hour or so leave me with? Does anyone have experience with this?

I commute an hour from Richmond's West End. I have found it doable with 3 days/week of classes but not so much with 4. You also just have to be 100% committed to making it work and sacrificing a huge amount of what little time you have at home to work. I'm happy to talk about it more if you want to PM me.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:15 pm

omg wrote:I commute an hour from Richmond's West End. I have found it doable with 3 days/week of classes but not so much with 4. You also just have to be 100% committed to making it work and sacrificing a huge amount of what little time you have at home to work. I'm happy to talk about it more if you want to PM me.

I ave a friend who commuted for work in the other direction. They found it very difficult - not the drive so much, that's easy. Rather the time sacrifice is an issue. You'd want to leave very early in the morning and wait until after 6pm in the evening to avoid the heaviest traffic.

You certainly wouldn't want to commute through Richmond. The West End might be doable, just. I presume you don't mean commuting from the West to Charlottesville, as then you have to deal with the variable weather crossing the mountains.

omg

Postby omg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 pm

albanach wrote:
omg wrote:I commute an hour from Richmond's West End. I have found it doable with 3 days/week of classes but not so much with 4. You also just have to be 100% committed to making it work and sacrificing a huge amount of what little time you have at home to work. I'm happy to talk about it more if you want to PM me.

I ave a friend who commuted for work in the other direction. They found it very difficult - not the drive so much, that's easy. Rather the time sacrifice is an issue. You'd want to leave very early in the morning and wait until after 6pm in the evening to avoid the heaviest traffic.

You certainly wouldn't want to commute through Richmond. The West End might be doable, just. I presume you don't mean commuting from the West to Charlottesville, as then you have to deal with the variable weather crossing the mountains.

I've already PMed with OP, but just in case anyone else is interested, haha...there is never heavy traffic on 64 heading either way to Charlottesville (OP would be heading west), so you don't need to worry about avoiding any kind of rush hour.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Question for the 2Ls and 3Ls: is this plague affecting half the school a regular Feb Club thing, or is it just a coincidence?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:00 pm

soullesswonder wrote:Question for the 2Ls and 3Ls: is this plague affecting half the school a regular Feb Club thing, or is it just a coincidence?

I thought people were just hungover.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 pm

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:35 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:Question for the 2Ls and 3Ls: is this plague affecting half the school a regular Feb Club thing, or is it just a coincidence?

There is a plague. That said, a lot of people got sick in Feb. last year* (whether this has anything to do with Feb Club, I don't know).

*And I got shingles. :(

Oh boy, can't wait for next year

plum

Postby plum » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:31 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

LOL.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:13 am

I will be coming to UVA for 2 days at the beginning of spring break. Classes will be in session which i like, but I was curious which Hotel I should plan to stay at? Any suggestions on something nice but not too expensive.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 pm

omg wrote:
albanach wrote:I've already PMed with OP, but just in case anyone else is interested, haha...there is never heavy traffic on 64 heading either way to Charlottesville (OP would be heading west), so you don't need to worry about avoiding any kind of rush hour.

I was particularly thinking of local traffic, not 64 which is rarely bothersome in either direction. Local traffic in the evening is worse because the North Grounds exit is no use for hitting I-64. My limited experience of traffic on Ivy at that time of day is that it moves slowly.

I'm happy to deffer to your experience and glad to hear traffic has been better for you.

omg

Postby omg » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:02 pm

albanach wrote:
omg wrote:
albanach wrote:I've already PMed with OP, but just in case anyone else is interested, haha...there is never heavy traffic on 64 heading either way to Charlottesville (OP would be heading west), so you don't need to worry about avoiding any kind of rush hour.

I was particularly thinking of local traffic, not 64 which is rarely bothersome in either direction. Local traffic in the evening is worse because the North Grounds exit is no use for hitting I-64. My limited experience of traffic on Ivy at that time of day is that it moves slowly.

I'm happy to deffer to your experience and glad to hear traffic has been better for you.

Haha, well it's not like you'd wait around for hours at the end of the day or need to leave your house more than 5 minutes earlier at the beginning of the day because of local traffic. You're not at more of a disadvantage driving in from Richmond than you are from anywhere else if super-local traffic is the only traffic concern (which it is).

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:10 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I will be coming to UVA for 2 days at the beginning of spring break. Classes will be in session which i like, but I was curious which Hotel I should plan to stay at? Any suggestions on something nice but not too expensive.

Will you be driving? If so, Charlottesville is pretty small. Any hotel would probably do unless you want to be able to go out drinking at night and get back without a taxi. If you are looking for something affordable, I'd probably suggest Priceline. I've had good luck with bids in the $50-$60 range in the past. Hotel prices in Charlottesville can fluctuate widely depending on what's happening locally.

The University has the Cavalier Inn right in the heart of campus:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... ginia.html

It's recently refurbished and not too expensive. If you wanted somewhere that gives you easy access on foot to campus and the corner as well as being on the bus route to downtown, it would be ideal.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:16 am

Thank you guys for all helping me pick out classes to attend on my visit this upcoming week -- I have filled out my Tuesday and Thursday nicely (sitting on on Mahoney's Property class and Coughlin's Law and Public Service class on Tuesday and Harmon's Criminal Investigation and Sprigman's Con Law on Thursday) and I am really looking forward to it.

My Wednesday is still empty -- do any of you have a favorite Wednesday afternoon class? My girlfriend's class is at 2:10, so something around there would be ideal.

Thanks again. I get on the plane in a couple of hours and I truly am excited to visit Charlottesville and UVA.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:31 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:Thank you guys for all helping me pick out classes to attend on my visit this upcoming week -- I have filled out my Tuesday and Thursday nicely (sitting on on Mahoney's Property class and Coughlin's Law and Public Service class on Tuesday and Harmon's Criminal Investigation and Sprigman's Con Law on Thursday) and I am really looking forward to it.

My Wednesday is still empty -- do any of you have a favorite Wednesday afternoon class? My girlfriend's class is at 2:10, so something around there would be ideal.

Thanks again. I get on the plane in a couple of hours and I truly am excited to visit Charlottesville and UVA.

Religious Liberties from 1-2 on Wednesday is a good class if the First Amendment is of interest to you. Laycock is a great instructor.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:33 pm

law review question

Which weekend is better. I am thinking about doing it on the 25th? When do people know if they made it onto law review or not? Is it after both rounds?

Also- another question, are both rounds looked at together. Or is it X amount of people from round 1 is picked vs. x amount of people form round 2?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:19 pm

uvahooo wrote:law review question

Which weekend is better. I am thinking about doing it on the 25th? When do people know if they made it onto law review or not? Is it after both rounds?

Also- another question, are both rounds looked at together. Or is it X amount of people from round 1 is picked vs. x amount of people form round 2?

(1) Pick whichever weekend you prefer. I personally chose Spring Break weekend because that way I wouldn't have to worry about having reading, etc. to do over the try out weekend. It doesn't matter which you pick.

(2) Law Review announcements are made over the summer - sometime before the OGI deadline for 2L's.

(3) 1L's compete against all other 1L's for Law Review.

(4) Secondary journals are announced a couple weeks after the tryouts.

--LinkRemoved--

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Journal tryouts were my favorite part of 1L. Have fun.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:03 am

Cavalier wrote:Journal tryouts were my favorite part of 1L.

Dude, no flaming allowed in here.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:25 am

RVP11 wrote:

Hey, I really enjoyed that weekend.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Cavalier wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Was your favorite part the sleep deprivation or the half-delirious run to kinkos?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Was your favorite part the sleep deprivation or the half-delirious run to kinkos?

It was watching everyone else experiencing those.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”