UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Pragabranca
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:21 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Pragabranca » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 am

Hey guys I am trying to plan a quick trip down to Charlottesville to tour some housing options and to sit in on a class or two. I will be there in the morning so according to UVA it will be a class on Property that I can attend. Do you guys have any recommendations between Shragger, Johnson and Julia Mahoney? Thanks for the help.

User avatar
R.R. Raskolnikov
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:57 pm

I apologize in advance if this subject has been touched on as I haven't been able to peruse the full 90 or so pages of posts in this thread.

Anyway, can any of the other admitted or current UVa students provide some information as to when merit scloarships are awarded during the admissions cycle? Is it standard practice for the school to provide the award with the admission packet, or is there typically a waiting period?

I mainly would like to know so I have a better sense of where I stand with UVa before I inquire about an improved offer in light of scholarships received from other law schools. Thus far I have been admitted for roughly a month and have gotten no word regarding merit aid (I wasn't expecting much, if any, regardless).

User avatar
R.R. Raskolnikov
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:18 pm

I should also note that at this point UVa is where I want to be; I'm just looking to ease my financial burden.

I'm consistently impressed with the enthusiasm from current and former UVa students when prospective students reach out to them, so thanks in advance for the knowledge. Charlottesville sounds like the ideal environment to study law.

pintobeanx1
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:31 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby pintobeanx1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:18 pm

Hey guys, I'm visiting UVA this February. I can't make it to the ASW in March, but I was wondering if you all think it would be worthwhile asking for some travel compensation for my February visit, since it is offered to students coming for Admitted weekend. My job situation is changing and I won't be able to ask off in March.

Also, random question, have any of you all UVA folks seen The Parking Lot Movie?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6344
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 5ky » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:15 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:I apologize in advance if this subject has been touched on as I haven't been able to peruse the full 90 or so pages of posts in this thread.

Anyway, can any of the other admitted or current UVa students provide some information as to when merit scloarships are awarded during the admissions cycle? Is it standard practice for the school to provide the award with the admission packet, or is there typically a waiting period?

I mainly would like to know so I have a better sense of where I stand with UVa before I inquire about an improved offer in light of scholarships received from other law schools. Thus far I have been admitted for roughly a month and have gotten no word regarding merit aid (I wasn't expecting much, if any, regardless).



Some are told when they are accepted, others find out later on, in March/April. I THINK the later awards are more modest (think 45k total), and those who find out immediately upon acceptance get slightly largely sums (75-90k, a few full rides). But that could be off-base, so somebody correct me if that's not accurate.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Many higher awards are given out in March too. Two years ago the LSN scholarship updates that were posted in March ranged from small amounts to full rides.

User avatar
R.R. Raskolnikov
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks for the responses 5ky and Cavalier.

I suppose that would make it tacky to write to the financial aid office asking for an improved offer when a preliminary offer could still be forthcoming. However, my main concern is waiting too long to address the matter, thus risking that I miss out altogether because too many funds have already been allocated.

Does simply sending an email inquiring about the university's merit scholarship award opportunities and noting that 1) I am concerned about the cost of attendance, especially in light of a top 20 school offering me a substantial scholarship, but that 2) I really want to be at UVa, seem like an appropriate way to get the ball rolling, or is that too pushy at this stage in the cycle?

I'll re-post this in the financial aid forum and copy over any answers I receive if anyone else finds themselves in a similar position. If someone who has actually dealt with UVa has a take on this it would be helpful though.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6344
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 5ky » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:10 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Thanks for the responses 5ky and Cavalier.

I suppose that would make it tacky to write to the financial aid office asking for an improved offer when a preliminary offer could still be forthcoming. However, my main concern is waiting too long to address the matter, thus risking that I miss out altogether because too many funds have already been allocated.

Does simply sending an email inquiring about the university's merit scholarship award opportunities and noting that 1) I am concerned about the cost of attendance, especially in light of a top 20 school offering me a substantial scholarship, but that 2) I really want to be at UVa, seem like an appropriate way to get the ball rolling, or is that too pushy at this stage in the cycle?

I'll re-post this in the financial aid forum and copy over any answers I receive if anyone else finds themselves in a similar position. If someone who has actually dealt with UVa has a take on this it would be helpful though.


It's fine, but only if UVA is your first choice, and you would attend for sure if you got the kind of money for which you're looking. I did something similar before I was even accepted.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:12 pm

pintobeanx1 wrote:Hey guys, I'm visiting UVA this February. I can't make it to the ASW in March, but I was wondering if you all think it would be worthwhile asking for some travel compensation for my February visit, since it is offered to students coming for Admitted weekend. My job situation is changing and I won't be able to ask off in March.

Also, random question, have any of you all UVA folks seen The Parking Lot Movie?


thanks for reminding me to watch that! it's on my netflix queue

also, i have no useful information for you

wouldn't hurt to ask?

User avatar
R.R. Raskolnikov
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Noted. Did that work out well for you?

5ky wrote: It's fine, but only if UVA is your first choice, and you would attend for sure if you got the kind of money for which you're looking. I did something similar before I was even accepted.

socraticmethodman
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby socraticmethodman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Is anyone familiar with the 13th and John street area?

User avatar
R.R. Raskolnikov
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Regarding housing, is it completely unheard of/unrealistic for law students in Charlottesville to buy as opposed to renting for three years? Assuming they worked before school and have decent savings.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:33 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Regarding housing, is it completely unheard of/unrealistic for law students in Charlottesville to buy as opposed to renting for three years? Assuming they worked before school and have decent savings.


Charlottesville real estate tends to be very expensive. There was a significant increase in prices before the recession. I doubt that over 3 years, absent a massive economic boom, that you'll have a high enough increase in price to offset the costs of purchasing. Plus, holding the property as a rental tends to be a pain in the butt. General rule - in the short term (a few years), purchasing a house will generally be a poor economic decision.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:35 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Regarding housing, is it completely unheard of/unrealistic for law students in Charlottesville to buy as opposed to renting for three years? Assuming they worked before school and have decent savings.


Charlottesville real estate tends to be very expensive. There was a significant increase in prices before the recession. I doubt that over 3 years, absent a massive economic boom, that you'll have a high enough increase in price to offset the costs of purchasing. Plus, holding the property as a rental tends to be a pain in the butt. General rule - in the short term (a few years), purchasing a house will generally be a poor economic decision.


Buying can help get in-state tuition as I understand it?

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby albanach » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Buying can help get in-state tuition as I understand it?


It could, but probably not for the 1st year because of the 12 month residency requirement.

Property ownership is one aspect that will be considered, however the rules state:

§ 23-7.4. Eligibility for in-state tuition charges. wrote:Domiciliary status shall not ordinarily be conferred by the performance of acts which are auxiliary to fulfilling educational objectives or are required or routinely performed by temporary residents of the Commonwealth. Mere physical presence or residence primarily for educational purposes shall not confer domiciliary status. A matriculating student who has entered an institution and is classified as an out-of-state student shall be required to rebut by clear and convincing evidence the presumption that he is in the Commonwealth for the purpose of attending school and not as a bona fide domiciliary.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:27 pm

..

User avatar
R.R. Raskolnikov
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:29 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
albanach wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Buying can help get in-state tuition as I understand it?


It could, but probably not for the 1st year because of the 12 month residency requirement.

Property ownership is one aspect that will be considered, however the rules state:

§ 23-7.4. Eligibility for in-state tuition charges. wrote:Domiciliary status shall not ordinarily be conferred by the performance of acts which are auxiliary to fulfilling educational objectives or are required or routinely performed by temporary residents of the Commonwealth. Mere physical presence or residence primarily for educational purposes shall not confer domiciliary status. A matriculating student who has entered an institution and is classified as an out-of-state student shall be required to rebut by clear and convincing evidence the presumption that he is in the Commonwealth for the purpose of attending school and not as a bona fide domiciliary.

Getting married to an in-state resident probably helps the most.


I mean, my girlfriend wouldn't like that, but you've got to weigh all the options, right?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:30 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Getting married to an in-state resident probably helps the most.


Too late. How about my wife buys a house, moves there before I goes to school there? I can get cracking now? :lol:

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:33 pm

..

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:37 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Getting married to an in-state resident probably helps the most.


Too late. How about my wife buys a house, moves there before I goes to school there? I can get cracking now? :lol:

If she has a job (in VA), that could help.


I guess if she moves before I decide on school it would make a better case? We would also move our kids and have them go to school down there regardless.

It isn't too much of a big deal because in-state is not super low, but it would be nice to get the "free" money if I could.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby albanach » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:40 pm

So, there's another general thread on recording lectures in law school: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=146982

I noticed on the UVa site that the law school has facilities for professors to make classes available on the course website: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... /audio.htm

I was wondering if this facility is widely used?

While clearly not a substitute for attending class, I can see the significant attraction if you must be absent due to illness, or attending interviews.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby albanach » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:I guess if she moves before I decide on school it would make a better case? We would also move our kids and have them go to school down there regardless.

It isn't too much of a big deal because in-state is not super low, but it would be nice to get the "free" money if I could.


I think that would make a quite strong case. If you can't make the case with kids plus a spouse with an in-state job expected to last beyond the end of school, plus property ownership, then I don't think anyone could ever convince them

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:45 pm

..

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:56 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Getting married to an in-state resident probably helps the most.


Too late. How about my wife buys a house, moves there before I goes to school there? I can get cracking now? :lol:

If she has a job (in VA), that could help.


I know someone who graduated in '01 from UVA Law and he got resident status because his wife was working in VA while he was in school.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks guys, I will plan accordingly!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: trramic, White Dwarf, Will McAvoy and 5 guests