UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby dgouzoul » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:38 pm

unless you have aspergers

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby soullesswonder » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:00 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:Hi guys.

I'll be in C-ville visiting my girlfriend for V-Day (she's a 4th year undergrad) and I plan on bumming around the law school while she's doing the whole school thing. Ideally, I'd like to sit in on a couple of classes, and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me decide which ones.

My options are:
Property with Julia Mahoney, Richard Schragger, or Alex Johnson
Con Law with Tomiko Brown-Nagin, Kim Ford-Mazrui, Risa Golubuff, Saikrishna Prakash, or Chris Springman

I'll be there for several days, so I could probably sit in and observe several profs, FWIW.

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend for someone visiting UVA for the first time? (I'm applying next cycle, if it matters, and UVA is my top choice.)

Thanks!
Vissi


Sprigman's class doesn't meet on Mondays...

User avatar
vissidarte27
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vissidarte27 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:57 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:Hi guys.

I'll be in C-ville visiting my girlfriend for V-Day (she's a 4th year undergrad) and I plan on bumming around the law school while she's doing the whole school thing. Ideally, I'd like to sit in on a couple of classes, and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me decide which ones.

My options are:
Property with Julia Mahoney, Richard Schragger, or Alex Johnson
Con Law with Tomiko Brown-Nagin, Kim Ford-Mazrui, Risa Golubuff, Saikrishna Prakash, or Chris Springman

I'll be there for several days, so I could probably sit in and observe several profs, FWIW.

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend for someone visiting UVA for the first time? (I'm applying next cycle, if it matters, and UVA is my top choice.)

Thanks!
Vissi


Sprigman's class doesn't meet on Mondays...


I know. I'll be there Monday the 14th through Sunday the 20th, so I have several different class/day options. :)

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:59 pm

I just read recently that the Army JAG training takes place at a facility next to the law school. Is there a strong feed into JAG from UVA, or is JAG somewhat looked down upon (or otherwise at least not a particularly strong draw even though the training facility is right there)?

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby soullesswonder » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:10 am

vissidarte27 wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:Hi guys.

I'll be in C-ville visiting my girlfriend for V-Day (she's a 4th year undergrad) and I plan on bumming around the law school while she's doing the whole school thing. Ideally, I'd like to sit in on a couple of classes, and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me decide which ones.

My options are:
Property with Julia Mahoney, Richard Schragger, or Alex Johnson
Con Law with Tomiko Brown-Nagin, Kim Ford-Mazrui, Risa Golubuff, Saikrishna Prakash, or Chris Springman

I'll be there for several days, so I could probably sit in and observe several profs, FWIW.

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend for someone visiting UVA for the first time? (I'm applying next cycle, if it matters, and UVA is my top choice.)

Thanks!
Vissi


Sprigman's class doesn't meet on Mondays...


I know. I'll be there Monday the 14th through Sunday the 20th, so I have several different class/day options. :)


You should try to sneak into Harmon's Criminal Investigations course if you can swing it. It might give you slightly unrealistic expectations for the rest of the faculty, but it would definitely be worth it.

User avatar
vissidarte27
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vissidarte27 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:24 am

soullesswonder wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:Hi guys.

I'll be in C-ville visiting my girlfriend for V-Day (she's a 4th year undergrad) and I plan on bumming around the law school while she's doing the whole school thing. Ideally, I'd like to sit in on a couple of classes, and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me decide which ones.

My options are:
Property with Julia Mahoney, Richard Schragger, or Alex Johnson
Con Law with Tomiko Brown-Nagin, Kim Ford-Mazrui, Risa Golubuff, Saikrishna Prakash, or Chris Springman

I'll be there for several days, so I could probably sit in and observe several profs, FWIW.

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend for someone visiting UVA for the first time? (I'm applying next cycle, if it matters, and UVA is my top choice.)

Thanks!
Vissi


Sprigman's class doesn't meet on Mondays...


I know. I'll be there Monday the 14th through Sunday the 20th, so I have several different class/day options. :)


You should try to sneak into Harmon's Criminal Investigations course if you can swing it. It might give you slightly unrealistic expectations for the rest of the faculty, but it would definitely be worth it.


When/where does it meet? It definitely sounds like something that would be up my alley.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby soullesswonder » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:28 am

vissidarte27 wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
You should try to sneak into Harmon's Criminal Investigations course if you can swing it. It might give you slightly unrealistic expectations for the rest of the faculty, but it would definitely be worth it.


When/where does it meet? It definitely sounds like something that would be up my alley.


8:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays, Slaughter 294

User avatar
vissidarte27
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vissidarte27 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:31 am

soullesswonder wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
You should try to sneak into Harmon's Criminal Investigations course if you can swing it. It might give you slightly unrealistic expectations for the rest of the faculty, but it would definitely be worth it.


When/where does it meet? It definitely sounds like something that would be up my alley.


8:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays, Slaughter 294


Thanks. I'll shoot her an email and ask if I can sit in.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:57 am

vissidarte27 wrote:Hi guys.

I'll be in C-ville visiting my girlfriend for V-Day (she's a 4th year undergrad) and I plan on bumming around the law school while she's doing the whole school thing. Ideally, I'd like to sit in on a couple of classes, and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me decide which ones.

My options are:
Property with Julia Mahoney, Richard Schragger, or Alex Johnson
Con Law with Tomiko Brown-Nagin, Kim Ford-Mazrui, Risa Golubuff, Saikrishna Prakash, or Chris Springman

I'll be there for several days, so I could probably sit in and observe several profs, FWIW.

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend for someone visiting UVA for the first time? (I'm applying next cycle, if it matters, and UVA is my top choice.)

Thanks!
Vissi


Of the classes you mentioned--Property with Mahoney and Con Law with Sprigman. For sure.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:59 am

Mahoney is definitely worth a visit.

Also, if Anne Coughlin is teaching anything at all this semester, find out what it is and sneak into it.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby soullesswonder » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:01 am

vanwinkle wrote:Mahoney is definitely worth a visit.

Also, if Anne Coughlin is teaching anything at all this semester, find out what it is and sneak into it.


I think Coughlin is teaching a Public Service seminar.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19662
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby dailygrind » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:31 am

omg wrote:Con Law with Sprigman. For sure.


i'm actually in that class right now. can't find outlines on the sba bank, nor do my friends see any in VLW. anyone know if there's a place i can find them, or know someone willing to part with one?

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:46 am

I have Sprigman for Con Law, he's good. It's not a bad one to sit in on and it's late in the day so you don't have to drag yourself to North Grounds at 8 a.m. That said, Harmon is good, Coughlin is good. Nelson is an awesome professor/person, but I don't know Legislation with him is the sort of thing you want to sit in on to get a taste for law school. I've also been hearing really good things about Setear's international law class but I don't actually have it myself.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby desertlaw » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:19 pm

Property with Johnson is very good and much better than Mahoney from what I've heard.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby soullesswonder » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:21 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:I have Sprigman for Con Law, he's good. It's not a bad one to sit in on and it's late in the day so you don't have to drag yourself to North Grounds at 8 a.m. That said, Harmon is good, Coughlin is good. Nelson is an awesome professor/person, but I don't know Legislation with him is the sort of thing you want to sit in on to get a taste for law school. I've also been hearing really good things about Setear's international law class but I don't actually have it myself.


The only problem with Setear is that his Intl Law class feels more like a poly sci course than a law school course, plus he doesn't cold-call. It doesn't make the class unpleasant, but it's not exactly representative of 1L courses.

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby itsirtou » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:41 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:Hi guys.

I'll be in C-ville visiting my girlfriend for V-Day (she's a 4th year undergrad) and I plan on bumming around the law school while she's doing the whole school thing. Ideally, I'd like to sit in on a couple of classes, and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me decide which ones.

My options are:
Property with Julia Mahoney, Richard Schragger, or Alex Johnson
Con Law with Tomiko Brown-Nagin, Kim Ford-Mazrui, Risa Golubuff, Saikrishna Prakash, or Chris Springman

I'll be there for several days, so I could probably sit in and observe several profs, FWIW.

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend for someone visiting UVA for the first time? (I'm applying next cycle, if it matters, and UVA is my top choice.)

Thanks!
Vissi


If you can sit in on Coughlin's Law and Public Service class, I'd really recommend it. It meets TWR from 1-2, in SL 262.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby plum » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:09 pm

you could also come to property with harrison and learn about martians and mythological creatures and get cold-called with jeopardy questions.

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby itsirtou » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:11 pm

plum wrote:you could also come to property with harrison and learn about martians and mythological creatures and get cold-called with jeopardy questions.


"home home on the range, where the deer and the antelope used to play before they were all killed off by hunters"

Frankie55
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Frankie55 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:18 am

Does anyone who lives by an Amtrak location take that to get to/from school for the semester? Much cheaper than a plane, and it seems like the station is close to campus.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:22 am

..

Frankie55
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Frankie55 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:39 am

Awesome, thanks.

Frankie55
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Frankie55 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:33 pm

I posted this in the aid forum, but maybe I'll get a better reply here: Do need based grants exist, outside of merit awards, and if so, does anyone want to share ballpark amounts? Also, when did you receive information about this/when did they "update" your merit award, if you received one?

sherpaorlawschool
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sherpaorlawschool » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:17 pm

I tried looking this up but couldn't find much. Since UVA requires parental information on the FAFSA, how does that affect federal aid? Does the government still consider me an independent even with parental information on the form? (I'm under 26 and unmarried as of now) Or, will the government give me the same financial package regardless? Thanks.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:25 pm

..

sherpaorlawschool
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sherpaorlawschool » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:31 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
sherpaorlawschool wrote:I tried looking this up but couldn't find much. Since UVA requires parental information on the FAFSA, how does that affect federal aid? Does the government still consider me an independent even with parental information on the form? (I'm under 26 and unmarried as of now) Or, will the government give me the same financial package regardless? Thanks.

While this is new for UVA, the federal government will calculate your financial need without regards to your parents' finances.


Thanks! Good to know.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests