UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:59 pm

DeeCee wrote:So I'm not sure if anyone really talks about this in your class, but would anyone know if a lot of incoming class members are chosen from the WL each year? I just got WL'ed at UVA and I'd really love to attend, however I am not sure if there will be much of a chance of me getting off the WL.
The past couple years in a row they've taken almost nobody off the WL at all due to overenrollment. The yield (ratio of people who were offer admission and actually attended) kept going up each year, so they'd cut the number of admissions the next year and still end up overenrolled anyway. Each year they respond by cutting the number of acceptances offered again, and at some point the yield should stop going up, so they should start actually going to the WL again like they used to.

Schools actually prefer underenrollment to overenrollment since going under is easier to correct (by going to the WL). At some point they'll manage to cut their acceptances enough to get a decent class size but still need to go to the WL again, by design. The massive influx of people over the last couple years has just thrown everything off.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:07 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
DeeCee wrote:So I'm not sure if anyone really talks about this in your class, but would anyone know if a lot of incoming class members are chosen from the WL each year? I just got WL'ed at UVA and I'd really love to attend, however I am not sure if there will be much of a chance of me getting off the WL.
The past couple years in a row they've taken almost nobody off the WL at all due to overenrollment. The yield (ratio of people who were offer admission and actually attended) kept going up each year, so they'd cut the number of admissions the next year and still end up overenrolled anyway. Each year they respond by cutting the number of acceptances offered again, and at some point the yield should stop going up, so they should start actually going to the WL again like they used to.

Schools actually prefer underenrollment to overenrollment since going under is easier to correct (by going to the WL). At some point they'll manage to cut their acceptances enough to get a decent class size but still need to go to the WL again, by design. The massive influx of people over the last couple years has just thrown everything off.
Good to know at least. Guess I'll just send them a LOCI and move on. UVA is the one school I'd really hold out for, sadly.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
omg wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:2 people from my section, who shall remain nameless, spoke to SRO today. They informed me SRO said that grades had been sent to main campus for processing and nothing will go up until Monday at the earliest.

1. Just what I was told second hand
2. Don't shoot the messenger
biguva needs to reevaluate its priorities :roll:
I still don't get why it takes more than 2 weeks to grade exams when, from a practical point of view, that is the most important task of a professor.
Who told you that? From a practical point of view the most important task of a professor is to publish as much "prestigious" work as possible so that the school's peer assessment score increases in US News. Or did you mean practical for the students?!

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:55 pm

from the professor's point of view, "returned exam grades quickly to students who need them for job hunting" is not a line that they can add to their 10 page resumes

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:56 pm

i swear im not as bitter as my posts in this thread make me appear

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:58 pm

Public service week interviews are now up....

FYI

Also, i am sure you can get jobs without grades :)
I know a few people already who have jobs... so just keep on applying!

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:01 pm

uvahooo wrote:Also, i am sure you can get jobs without grades :)
Most fallacious reasoning ever.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:03 pm

uvahooo wrote:Public service week interviews are now up....

FYI

Also, i am sure you can get jobs without grades :)
The one thing I will say about public service week is that there are a lot fewer internships available there than there are students seeking them. Also, if it's anything like last year, there will also be quite a few 2Ls who haven't found work yet and are eager to snap up anything they can find, and public service employers often love 2Ls because they have more experience and can do better work than 1Ls.

My point is that 1Ls should not rely heavily on public service week to find work. Definitely interview and hope for the best, but keep putting your resume out there all over until you've found something. Don't wait until you hear back on these interviews to do more.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:12 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
:) I resume bombed on the 1st/got lucky and interviewed over the break... i know the same for other people....

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:17 pm

uvahooo wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
:) I resume bombed on the 1st/got lucky and interviewed over the break... i know the same for other people....
Good for you. My point still holds.

The fact that someone got a job without grades in no way implies that everyone can, nor that students generally can.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Hey everyone,

Any recommendations on places to live downtown? Also, anyone care to comment on downtown Charlottesville?

Thanks in advance for responses.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:26 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:The fact that someone got a job without grades in no way implies that everyone can, nor that students generally can.
Based on what I know, I think it is generally possible, but only under certain sets of circumstances. For example, if you're from a home market without a T14 in it, and you resume-dropped there before winter break, you might be able to get a summer internship there based off just an interview. I heard several cases of that happening last year, including a couple in USAO offices, which boggled me when I first heard of it.

That ship has pretty much sailed though. It's late enough that people expect grades are out (*cough*even if they're not*cough*) so now they'll want to see grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:28 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Hey everyone,

Any recommendations on places to live downtown? Also, anyone care to comment on downtown Charlottesville?

Downtown is pretty, but not really convenient to the law school. Or to owning a car, I think, which would make driving to the law school difficult also. Many people live next to the law school for 1L and that's the better thing to do for two reasons. The first is that being next to the law school for 1L is convenient since you'll be spending so much time there, and the second is that so many of your classmates will be living there also that as long as you're within walking distance of the law school you'll be near everyone.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:13 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Hey everyone,

I think downtown C-ville is a really nice area. If I didn't have dogs, I would have lived downtown. Even during 'rush-hour', it's only a 10-15 minute drive from downtown to the law school. Downtown is also the largest concentration of good restaurants, boutique shopping, and coffee shops in Charlottesville. Plus, it's quite pretty down there.

If you live downtown; however, it is essential that you choose a place that has guaranteed parking. If you have a parking space downtown, then parking is easy. Without a parking space, it's a pain in the ass. After the first couple weeks of school, you'll be able to get into the lottery (which I think everyone 'wins') for a D3 space. It's worth the extra money over the blue parking passes.

This said, there are several downsides. While downtown has a good professional scene, it's not the law school scene. It's very rare for law students (making a broad generalization here, but it's pretty much correct) to go out downtown. For the most part, law students go out on the Corner. So, if you like to drink, and you like to drink with law students, then you'll be spending money on cabs all the time if you live downtown. The other downside is that living downtown necessitates having a car - public transportation in c-ville isn't all that great and you will absolutely have to have a car to (a) get to school and (b) get to a grocery store.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:06 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:The fact that someone got a job without grades in no way implies that everyone can, nor that students generally can.
Based on what I know, I think it is generally possible, but only under certain sets of circumstances. For example, if you're from a home market without a T14 in it, and you resume-dropped there before winter break, you might be able to get a summer internship there based off just an interview. I heard several cases of that happening last year, including a couple in USAO offices, which boggled me when I first heard of it.

That ship has pretty much sailed though. It's late enough that people expect grades are out (*cough*even if they're not*cough*) so now they'll want to see grades.
I think that a lot of Southern employers will take UVA students without grades.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:19 pm

BruceWayne wrote:I think that a lot of Southern employers will take UVA students without grades IF YOU'RE ONE OF THEM.
FTFY.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:22 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:I think that a lot of Southern employers will take UVA students without grades IF YOU'RE ONE OF THEM.
FTFY.
That sentence is a bit confusing. Do you mean if you are one of them as in a Southern employer or a UVA student from the South?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Sorry. I meant if you're a southerner too.

Maybe I should've said "if yer one of them good ol' boys yerself".

The Achieve Of

New

Post by The Achieve Of » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Does anyone know the high speed internet situation at Arlington Court Apartments?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:14 pm

GRADES ARE UP!

Fo' real, y'all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:17 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:GRADES ARE UP!

Fo' real, y'all.
Some grades. I still have one left to release.

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:20 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:GRADES ARE UP!

Fo' real, y'all.
Some grades. I still have one left to release.
same. no new grades here, still waiting on the last one. unless bgdddymtty was just messing with us.

my cardiovascular health is suffering

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:21 pm

Finally have grades. Two out of four.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:23 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.