UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vanwinkle

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:55 am

Kohinoor wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Ok here's a question.

Scale of 1 to 10 on your own smart scale, how smart are you classmates?

If I'm a 5 then a ton of 4-5s, a few 6s and one or so 7s per section. I haven't seen anything that points to sheer intellect rather than willingness to study 6 hours a day. I've always maintained that most prodigies are drawn into the hard sciences.

I guess my thing is that the people I would lump up into the 7-10 may just look that much smarter because they've been willing to study 12 hours a day. No real way to tell them apart without spying on them.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:56 am

If everyone is basically equal, what in your mind is going to separate the top 10% from the median etc.... luck, study skills, combination?

Are there any students who just mail it in and don't come to class or just seem to not care or do their work?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:02 am

jawsthegreat wrote:If everyone is basically equal, what in your mind is going to separate the top 10% from the median etc.... luck, study skills, combination?

Are there any students who just mail it in and don't come to class or just seem to not care or do their work?

The top 25% study a lot. The top 10% study a lot and type 150wpm.

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:48 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:If everyone is basically equal, what in your mind is going to separate the top 10% from the median etc.... luck, study skills, combination?

To answer your first question, it is definitely a combination of luck and how hard/well you study. Luck in how your professor grades the exams, luck in what material happens to appear on them - you learn a shit ton of stuff in every 1L class, but it can't all fit on a 3 hour exam, particularly all the more minor topics and cases, and asides your professor made. I think everybody is going to be well-versed in some of that stuff, but probably nobody all of it, so there is luck involved in which minor things end up being applicable to the exam. In the end, the difference between A/A- and high B+ is going to be very slight - an extra issue or two spotted, slightly more thorough analysis of something, etc. I'm sure, though, that people in the top 10% on the whole do study more, or more efficiently, than the rest. I think it is good to keep reviewing what you've learned as you go through the semester. Unfortunately, I didn't do that at all.

As for your second question, I skipped maybe 10 Civ Pro classes this semester if it makes you feel any better. I may have even violated the attendance policy.

cheapthrills

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:34 pm

Not sure if anyone knows this offhand, but are there many UVA grads that go into policy type work (congressional committee, legislative director, non-profit)? I've been accepted and this what I hope to do post law school. Georgetown would seem to offer superior networking opportunities but at the cost of decreased clerkship and firm placement if I decided against a policy career. Just wondering if the trade-off is worth it....

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:38 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Not sure if anyone knows this offhand, but are there many UVA grads that go into policy type work (congressional committee, legislative director, non-profit)? I've been accepted and this what I hope to do post law school. Georgetown would seem to offer superior networking opportunities but at the cost of decreased clerkship and firm placement if I decided against a policy career. Just wondering if the trade-off is worth it....

UVA places better into DC than Georgetown does. Lawyers are, by and large, pretty keen on pedigree - and while the difference between the degrees won't be huge, it will still be evident. That boost is likely more important over the decades of your career. Keep in mind that we're only 2 hours out, so there are lots of trips into DC and speakers from DC over the course of any given year.

[I had similar concerns when I was applying and did quite a bit of first hand research. It was hard to pass up going to law school on Capitol Hill.]

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:00 pm

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:58 pm

I know someone is going to laugh but here it goes....is there a meal plan option for law students? I eat like hell (to gain weight for my weight lifting) and I want to live on grounds (I love saying "grounds" :D ). Is it a 7 day plan etc?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:01 pm

kurama20 wrote:I know someone is going to laugh but here it goes....is there a meal plan option for law students? I eat like hell (to gain weight for my weight lifting) and I want to live on grounds (I love saying "grounds" :D ). Is it a 7 day plan etc?

I'd imagine you buy the same meal plan the little ones do. I have yet to see the main campus dining hall, but I imagine it will be bland and inoffensive like most college food.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
kurama20 wrote:I know someone is going to laugh but here it goes....is there a meal plan option for law students? I eat like hell (to gain weight for my weight lifting) and I want to live on grounds (I love saying "grounds" :D ). Is it a 7 day plan etc?

I'd imagine you buy the same meal plan the little ones do. I have yet to see the main campus dining hall, but I imagine it will be bland and inoffensive like most college food.

:x MY school had fantastic food thank you very much! That's one of the benefits of going to school in the south, a lot of people down here can actually cook!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:26 pm

kurama20 wrote::x MY school had fantastic food thank you very much! That's one of the benefits of going to school in the south, a lot of people down here can actually cook!

The law school has a cafeteria which is only open during lunch. You can put money on your student ID card which gives you a 9% discount because you don't have to pay the 9% meal tax when buying your food that way. You can get some pretty cheap lunches that way without having to actually sign up for a semester-long meal plan.

The food's okay, but not great. If you live close to the law school you'd have an additional problem that there's no nearby cafeteria open for breakfast and dinner. Of course, if you lived somewhere like The Range you'd be on the main grounds and a lot closer to things like that (but further from the law school).

If you want good Southern cooking you're really going to have to wander off-grounds. It's out there, but dear God, please don't expect greatness from cafeteria food no matter where you go.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:28 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
kurama20 wrote::x MY school had fantastic food thank you very much! That's one of the benefits of going to school in the south, a lot of people down here can actually cook!

The law school has a cafeteria which is only open during lunch. You can put money on your student ID card which gives you a 9% discount because you don't have to pay the 9% meal tax when buying your food that way. You can get some pretty cheap lunches that way without having to actually sign up for a semester-long meal plan.

The food's okay, but not great. If you live close to the law school you'd have an additional problem that there's no nearby cafeteria open for breakfast and dinner. Of course, if you lived somewhere like The Range you'd be on the main grounds and a lot closer to things like that (but further from the law school).

If you want good Southern cooking you're really going to have to wander off-grounds. It's out there, but dear God, please don't expect greatness from cafeteria food no matter where you go.

To be honest I'm thinking about eating more for sustenance when it comes to getting a meal plan. If I'm looking for real cooking I will "splurge" and eat out.

slider

Postby slider » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:58 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Ok here's a question.

Scale of 1 to 10 on your own smart scale, how smart are you classmates?

Assuming "5" is me... There's a couple that appear to be 2-3s (though they could be silent gunners), a shitload of 5-6s, and enough 7-10s making me nervous they're gonna wreck the curve for the rest of us.

Life at a T14 law school is rough. They get to pick from the smartest people in the country and collect them all in one place. If you think about it, there are 200 law schools in the country, if you assume 350 seats for an average law school class (just to get a rough estimate) there's maybe 70,000 new people going to law school every year. There's about 4,000 seats across the entire T14 and they generally tend to be offered to the smartest and most dedicated applicants. That's roughly the top 5-6% of the entire new law school entering class each year going to T14 schools.

So, that means if you get into any T14 school, you're facing people who were considered at least within the top 10% of all people going to law school in that year. Every single one of them. They're all that smart and that capable, and they're all just as hungry to be at the top of the class as you are.

And you're graded on a curve. Food for thought.

This. Reading this has made me nauseous. Thanks for the insight.

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm going to visit pretty soon. What should I do while I'm there? Do any UVA folks on here own a condo/house? Do you know anyone who does? How hard would it be to commute to/from Richmond if I worked there during the summer? Is there any legal work you can do in C'ville during the summer if you don't want to leave the area?

Thanks!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:38 pm

LSlobbyist

Postby LSlobbyist » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:52 pm

How many of you chose UVA over schools that were supposedly higher in the rankings? And if so, why?

I ask because I've been offered admission to Virginia on a full scholarship (still numb) and I'm comparing it against Michigan and Berkeley (have yet to receive scholarship information from either, but Cal often matches). For reference, I plan to work in DC in policy, and the atmosphere of the law school and their placement in DC really appeals to me. I have not heard from either Stanford or Harvard yet, but neither school offers merit aid.

Thoughts?
Last edited by LSlobbyist on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:56 pm

LSlobbyist wrote:How many of you chose UVA over schools that were supposedly higher in the rankings? And if so, why?

I ask because I've been offered admission to Virginia on a full scholarship (still numb) and I'm comparing it against Michigan and Berkeley (both of which I've been offered admission to). For reference, I plan to work in DC in policy, and the atmosphere of the law school and their placement in DC really appeals to me. I have not heard from either Stanford or Harvard yet, but neither school offers merit aid.

Thoughts?

The major advantages of the T6 are for placement in academia, and clerkships. UVA is building up its own rep for putting grads into federal clerkships, though, and it's got a very strong PI program with a dedicated career services center for PI jobs.

You will have a little better opportunity at T6 schools, but a full scholarship means drastically less debt when you graduate, and UVA is going to give you some good opportunities when you graduate.

UVA is about on par with Michigan regarding post-graduation opportunities, so UVA at full tuition wins there hands-down. UVA vs. Berkeley/Stanford/Harvard is a progressively harder decision.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:59 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
LSlobbyist wrote:How many of you chose UVA over schools that were supposedly higher in the rankings? And if so, why?

I ask because I've been offered admission to Virginia on a full scholarship (still numb) and I'm comparing it against Michigan and Berkeley (both of which I've been offered admission to). For reference, I plan to work in DC in policy, and the atmosphere of the law school and their placement in DC really appeals to me. I have not heard from either Stanford or Harvard yet, but neither school offers merit aid.

Thoughts?

The major advantages of the T6 are for placement in academia, and clerkships. UVA is building up its own rep for putting grads into federal clerkships, though, and it's got a very strong PI program with a dedicated career services center for PI jobs.

You will have a little better opportunity at T6 schools, but a full scholarship means drastically less debt when you graduate, and UVA is going to give you some good opportunities when you graduate.

UVA is about on par with Michigan regarding post-graduation opportunities, so UVA at full tuition wins there hands-down. UVA vs. Berkeley/Stanford/Harvard is a progressively harder decision.

I would think somebody who wanted work in DC and had a full ride to UVA would have an easy decision over Berkeley. But then in regards to HYS, thats a different animal all together.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:12 pm

I ask because I've been offered admission to Virginia on a full scholarship (still numb) and I'm comparing it against Michigan and Berkeley (have yet to receive scholarship information from either, but Cal often matches). For reference, I plan to work in DC in policy, and the atmosphere of the law school and their placement in DC really appeals to me. I have not heard from either Stanford or Harvard yet, but neither school offers merit aid.

Thoughts?

Treat MVPB as equally ranked.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:37 pm

Thoughts?

UVA with a full ride should be chosen over any non-YHS school (unless a better school offers you a full ride). Between UVA with a full ride and YHS, the decision is trickier, but in general I'd pick UVA unless your number one goal is academia. Graduating with a law degree from a top 10 law school with almost zero debt is just too good to pass on.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Thoughts?

First realize that the only schools that are hands down stronger than UVA are HYS and CC. NYU is better for NYC but that's it. Boalt is better for Cali but that's it. Really the whole idea of the "top 6" is a misnomer. Top 10 and top 3 makes sense, but top 6 is far too debatable because the schools strengths vary by region outside of HYS and CC.

At this point drop Boalt like a bad habit. It's an equivalent school with a much higher out of state tuition rate (I would drop Michigan too without a full ride). And honestly with your interest in DC and a full ride the only schools that you should pic over UVA are Harvard and Yale (even then it's somewhat debatable since you got a full ride). Unless you get into HYS consider yourself a Wahoo (and honestly I think you should pick UVA full ride over Stanford with debt if you want DC).

emilybeth

Postby emilybeth » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:52 pm

Thoughts?

Just to chime in somewhere I clearly have no place being: Boalt doesn't "often" match; in fact, they rarely do. Matching scholarships are difficult to get. I would by no means hedge any bets on getting one and if you do, you'll be part of a very slim minority.

That being said, Boalt's prospects are still better than UVa's ITE. No hating, just stating facts. Boalt is not Cali-exclusive as some Virginiaites have (wrongly) stated in this thread.

Okay - nosing out now !

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:53 pm

emilybeth wrote:

Thoughts?

Just to chime in somewhere I clearly have no place being: Boalt doesn't "often" match; in fact, they rarely do. Matching scholarships are difficult to get. I would by no means hedge any bets on getting one and if you do, you'll be part of a very slim minority.

That being said, Boalt's prospects are still better than UVa's ITE. No hating, just stating facts. Boalt is not Cali-exclusive as some Virginiaites have (wrongly) stated in this thread.

Okay - nosing out now !

TINTCR WOW it's scary how many people on here make such absolute statements when they really have No idea what they are talking about. Do people just make this stuff up or do they really follow US News overall numerical rank that blindly?
Last edited by kurama20 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:58 pm

emilybeth wrote:

Thoughts?

Okay - nosing out now !

He didn't say they were Cali exclusive, all he said was outside Cali they are equal. Which is true, except in DC where UVA would give you better prospects.

Do you have any facts to back up your statement?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”