UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Doritos

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Doritos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:37 pm

Cavalier wrote:I'm starting to dislike Cary Bennett almost as much as I dislike Clay Bennett.

--ImageRemoved--

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Doritos wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I'm starting to dislike Cary Bennett almost as much as I dislike Clay Bennett.

--ImageRemoved--

lol, I meant the evil bastard who stole the Seattle SuperSonics.

AJW

Postby AJW » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Hey guys what E&E's would you recommend for Torts? Is The Forms and Functions of Tort Law by Abraham the best? Civil Procedure by Glannon? Your take? What about Contracts and Crim Law?

Thanks for all of the help it is much appreciated.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:43 pm

AJW wrote:Hey guys what E&E's would you recommend for Torts? Is The Forms and Functions of Tort Law by Abraham the best? Civil Procedure by Glannon? Your take? What about Contracts and Crim Law?

Do. Not. Ask. That. Ever. In. January. When. You. Are. A. 0L. You. Will. Not. Be. Liked.

swinger

Postby swinger » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:50 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
AJW wrote:Hey guys what E&E's would you recommend for Torts? Is The Forms and Functions of Tort Law by Abraham the best? Civil Procedure by Glannon? Your take? What about Contracts and Crim Law?

Do. Not. Ask. That. Ever. In. January. When. You. Are. A. 0L. You. Will. Not. Be. Liked.

A.Men.

omg

Postby omg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:59 pm

swinger wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

A.Men.

I agree with the above posters, but if you need a reason in addition to not being liked... The most helpful hornbook will often depend on who your prof is, which you obviously don't know yet. Low's hornbook is essential for Low's class, but another option might be better if you have a different professor. Same with Abraham for Abraham. For instance, I found that Harrison's lectures often disagreed with or took different angles than Abraham's book and that I would have been better served by a different study guide.

TL;DR: Wait.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Why not read them all? Got plenty of time before 1L starts. If you want real good advice you can always ask professors at ASW. Be sure to bring business cards too, gotta start forming those connections.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Anyone have any insights on Evidence with Sinclair?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:05 pm

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Anyone have any insights on Evidence with Sinclair?

I just dropped it today to switch to Mitchell?

Thanks. How strict are the clinics about course prereqs? Let's say that I take Criminal Procedure Survey instead of Criminal Investigation or ajudication but I have all the other prereqs--will they really keep me out of the prosecution clinic for that?

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:19 pm

I am actually PISSED right now at UVA and i will be talking to them in February when i have too spend money and time flying back home to interview. I expect them to cover some of my expenses, i stayed home an extra week just to interview and couldn't get one with a judge. judges (clerks) have even been making exceptions and saying just to give them 2 grades and i cant even do that. honestly, this is ridiculous

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:24 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:I am actually PISSED right now at UVA and i will be talking to them in February when i have too spend money and time flying back home to interview. I expect them to cover some of my expenses, i stayed home an extra week just to interview and couldn't get one with a judge. judges (clerks) have even been making exceptions and saying just to give them 2 grades and i cant even do that. honestly, this is ridiculous

This is a bad idea. It is not surprising that UVA is taking this long for grades. From what I have heard from years past, they were generally released as late as the weekend prior to when classes start. Furthermore, we even received e-mails earlier saying the deadline is February 1st. Factor in the late start of the semester, and it really should not be all that surprising.

To "expect" them to cover expenses of flying home to interview with judges is far-fetched.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:27 pm

dont care if its far fetched. 40% are in state, and can drive 2 hrs to interview at home, i gotta spend 400 bucks to fly. they give 250 bucks to kids they dont even know will come there for asw, they can throw me some cash money. ill let everyone know how that goes in feb. probably poorly, but im still trying. cant knock the hustle

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:29 pm

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Well I am interested to hear that goes in February. If it does work, I for one, will be kicking myself. Best of luck. If it does work, it would definitely be an interesting precedent/exception.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:33 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Anyone have any insights on Evidence with Sinclair?

I just dropped it today to switch to Mitchell?

Thanks. How strict are the clinics about course prereqs? Let's say that I take Criminal Procedure Survey instead of Criminal Investigation or ajudication but I have all the other prereqs--will they really keep me out of the prosecution clinic for that?

Email the clinic profs and ask - this crim pro survey thing is kinda new.

plum

Postby plum » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:46 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:From what I have heard from years past, they were generally released as late as the weekend prior to when classes start.

grades can be released over the weekend?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:38 am

plum wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:From what I have heard from years past, they were generally released as late as the weekend prior to when classes start.

grades can be released over the weekend?

I've never seen evals post on a weekend, but I've gotten grades on a Saturday.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:dont care if its far fetched. 40% are in state, and can drive 2 hrs to interview at home, i gotta spend 400 bucks to fly. they give 250 bucks to kids they dont even know will come there for asw, they can throw me some cash money. ill let everyone know how that goes in feb. probably poorly, but im still trying. cant knock the hustle

Almost certainly very poorly.

im just fed up, these internships are in extremely competitive districts and i need my grades in. They only need to offer one kid from harvard a spot, and then the internship is gone, and id like to at least have a shot to represent myself seeing as i spent 100 bucks to get these apps out.

McDeere

Postby McDeere » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:58 pm

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find an adequate answer...
I'll be at UVA this Fall.
Is it better to try to find an apartment now or after May (when there should be more people moving out)?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:59 pm

This is crazy; they're actually going to wait to give us some of our grades until after classes start? Why does UVA take so much longer than every other school? I'm starting to think that this whole laid back beer and softball thing was about the professors---not the students. Getting grades back while you're preparing for a new set of classes could have a negative psychological impact. They really shouldn't allow grades to come back that late. How do people transfer out of UVA after spring of 1L?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:04 pm

BruceWayne wrote:How do people transfer out of UVA after spring of 1L?

Not to schools with June app deadlines, that's for sure.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm sure the section(s) with 3 grades out already are having no problem applying to jobs. I would be more upset about this, but I didn't expect grades before returning to classes anyways.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:16 pm

BruceWayne wrote:This is crazy; they're actually going to wait to give us some of our grades until after classes start? Why does UVA take so much longer than every other school? I'm starting to think that this whole laid back beer and softball thing was about the professors---not the students. Getting grades back while you're preparing for a new set of classes could have a negative psychological impact. They really shouldn't allow grades to come back that late. How do people transfer out of UVA after spring of 1L?

agreed, there are things i want to change with my study habits, and no matter what my grades are, ill change those things. But getting back a below median gpa in the middle of the freaking week when i have readings to do, pretty much equals me not doing those readings and me saying fuck it to class. its just f*@#ING unreal. my friends have had their grades back for 2 weeks and they ended after us.

edit - i curse too much

slider

Postby slider » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:07 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:
edit - i curse too much

May be well deserved in this case.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”