UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:51 pm

My first course evals finally went up! From my experience before, SIS has updated anytime between late afternoon and midnight or so. To anyone who has gotten grades this semester so far, has there been a certain time SIS has been updating?

Thanks!

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Today: Cary Bennett decides to do some work.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:09 pm

omg wrote:My first course evals finally went up! From my experience before, SIS has updated anytime between late afternoon and midnight or so. To anyone who has gotten grades this semester so far, has there been a certain time SIS has been updating?

Thanks!


We got crim around 9 PM

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Aslo, my torts and civ both went up on lawweb. So after today I'll have 3/4. Time to panic drink.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6375
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 5ky » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:13 pm

Basing from last year and this year, it seems pretty clear that Wednesday is the primary day on which course evals get posted, with a few sometimes on Friday, as well.

uvahooo
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby uvahooo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:16 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Aslo, my torts and civ both went up on lawweb. So after today I'll have 3/4. Time to panic drink.


um... tell me when those are posted. I am not making myself sick checking lawweb.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby plum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:20 pm

uvahooo wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Aslo, my torts and civ both went up on lawweb. So after today I'll have 3/4. Time to panic drink.


um... tell me when those are posted. I am not making myself sick checking lawweb.

lol so just substitute refreshing TLS instead of SIS?

uvahooo
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby uvahooo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:27 pm

plum wrote:
uvahooo wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Aslo, my torts and civ both went up on lawweb. So after today I'll have 3/4. Time to panic drink.


um... tell me when those are posted. I am not making myself sick checking lawweb.

lol so just substitute refreshing TLS instead of SIS?


I have a mental warning that they are actually up. If I keep on refreshing SIS and I see my grade that might freak me out.

But either way I am going to get freaked out.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby plum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm

is it a problem to add/drop classes or is it fairly common and acceptable? i am not feeling this elective i chose anymore.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm

plum wrote:is it a problem to add/drop classes or is it fairly common and acceptable? i am not feeling this elective i chose anymore.


I thought LawReg was closed; is it back open?

User avatar
hokiefan
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:41 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby hokiefan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:27 pm

whoknows12 wrote:Do any 2L's have any input on the Accounting and Corporate Finance classes? I think they'd be really valuable but I am really bad at economics/numbers and am considering not taking these classes until 2L year. But they seem like prerequisites for a lot of interesting 2L classes...


The Geis/Broome combination is pretty great if you can get into that section. The subject matter is moderately interesting. Accounting is just a basic introduction to accounting course. Corporate finance is quite a bit more interesting given that Geis is an excellent professor. If you're good at math, the class has the potential to really boost your GPA. Broome has given up to 20% A's and Geis also has a fairly top heavy curve. As a result, it's relatively easier to get a higher grade in these classes. However, if you stink at math, you have the potential to get a pretty lousy grade. I would highly recommend the course if you're good at mental math.

If you're worried about doing poorly in these classes and want to wait until your 2L year, that might be wise. The Law & Business courses that claim the Accounting/Corporate Finance courses are prerequisites do not really require Accounting/Corporate Finance. Having taken two Law & Business courses, I can attest that there are only a few concepts that really build upon corporate finance and most of these concepts can be easily learned.

Also, does anyone know what time grades have been posting to SIS? Is it around midnight this year?

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby plum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:53 pm

hokiefan wrote:Also, does anyone know what time grades have been posting to SIS? Is it around midnight this year?

i've only gotten one grade so far. the eval was posted last wed morning or afternoon and the grade appeared the next day around 8pm. i guess they don't enter the grades at the same time the evals are up? maybe they enter the grades the next day. who knows, i'm not clear on the reasons for this process.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:56 pm

plum wrote:
hokiefan wrote:Also, does anyone know what time grades have been posting to SIS? Is it around midnight this year?

i've only gotten one grade so far. the eval was posted last wed morning or afternoon and the grade appeared the next day around 8pm. i guess they don't enter the grades at the same time the evals are up? maybe they enter the grades the next day. who knows, i'm not clear on the reasons for this process.


Ours was 2PM for the eval then 8-9ish that night for the grade.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:59 pm

plum wrote:
hokiefan wrote:Also, does anyone know what time grades have been posting to SIS? Is it around midnight this year?

i've only gotten one grade so far. the eval was posted last wed morning or afternoon and the grade appeared the next day around 8pm. i guess they don't enter the grades at the same time the evals are up? maybe they enter the grades the next day. who knows, i'm not clear on the reasons for this process.

After going through this process twice, I don't think there is any predictability to it. Here's what happened to me the past two semesters:

Fall Semester
Criminal Law: Evaluation posted Thursday morning, grade posted the same afternoon
Civil Procedure: Evaluation posted Tuesday morning, grade posted at around midnight
Torts: Grade posted Tuesday at midnight (same day as civil procedure), evaluation posted on Thursday
Contracts: Evaluation posted Thursday morning, grade posted sometime after 10 pm the same day

Spring Semester
Evidence: Evaluation posted Wednesday afternoon, grade is there at the same time
Property: Evaluation posted Friday afternoon, grade posted Saturday evening
Other Classes: Evaluation posted on the afternoon of the deadline, grades posted the same evening

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Geis's grades are up.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby plum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:22 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:Geis's grades are up.

so is torts

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:45 am

Nerdily interesting info: Assuming that grades have posted for all classes for which evals have posted, each section now has at least one grade. Here's the breakdown:
All 4 grades: None
3 grades: D, L
2 grades: A, E, F
1 grade: B, C, G, H, I, J, K

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:10 am

bgdddymtty wrote:Nerdily interesting info: Assuming that grades have posted for all classes for which evals have posted, each section now has at least one grade. Here's the breakdown:
All 4 grades: None
3 grades: D, L
2 grades: A, E, F
1 grade: B, C, G, H, I, J, K


I can pretty much guarantee that though Section D has 3/4 grades now, we will be the last section to get our final grade.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:48 am

Last fall, I didn't get my final two grades until January 19.

Just so y'all know.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:11 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Last fall, I didn't get my final two grades until January 19.

Just so y'all know.


Hell, I didn't get my last exam grade until the week of January 25 last year.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:32 pm

My last came on the 28th, and Coughlin's didn't come until February I think.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Someone probably already said this, but grades aren't due til Feb. 1 this year, so the wait could be even longer...

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby plum » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 pm

how many people at uva actually drop out the first semester? or all they all perservering thinking they'll beat the odds next semeter

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:11 pm

plum wrote:how many people at uva actually drop out the first semester? or all they all perservering thinking they'll beat the odds next semeter

Very few. A handful drop out after the first year, but that's a ways away.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby gladiator » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:52 pm

I got my last grade at the end of February when I was a 1L. Nobody is going to top that.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawlaura3494 and 4 guests