UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bgdddymtty

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:31 pm

What's y'all's thought on cover letters vis a vis email? If I'm cold calling, should I attach a cover letter, or should the content of the cover letter simply be the text of the message?

slider

Postby slider » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:42 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:What's y'all's thought on cover letters vis a vis email? If I'm cold calling, should I attach a cover letter, or should the content of the cover letter simply be the text of the message?

I spoke to Career Services about this. Firms like to see the cover letter in the same pdf file as the resume (as one attachment).

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:53 pm

slider wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:What's y'all's thought on cover letters vis a vis email? If I'm cold calling, should I attach a cover letter, or should the content of the cover letter simply be the text of the message?

I spoke to Career Services about this. Firms like to see the cover letter in the same pdf file as the resume (as one attachment).

1. One pdf?! I swear that this is the type of thing that Career Services could have broadcast publicly. I've been sending the cover letter, resume, and writing sample out as separate Word docs.

2. So what do you put in the body of the email?

slider

Postby slider » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:16 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
slider wrote:

1. One pdf?! I swear that this is the type of thing that Career Services could have broadcast publicly. I've been sending the cover letter, resume, and writing sample out as separate Word docs.

1. One pdf for cover letter and resume (should use the same font for both). One separate pdf for writing sample (only if requested). So 2 pdfs max (assuming you are not sending transcript). It should not be a word doc (according to CS).

2. Body of email should include a short statement of who you are and that you are interested in the firm, the docs you are enclosing and that you look forward to speaking with them (or their recruiter). Something short. It is probably not a good idea to write out a long letter in the body of the email because firms/recruiters get a lot of emails and are unlikely to read through it if they feel it will take them too long. Career services said it's best to use a paragraph max to let them know who you are and that additional information is enclosed.

There are a lot of different ways to do it. But CS recommended this approach during a few of the break-out sessions they had late November. Though I can't imagine that a firm would disqualify anyone for not following this format. HTH.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:50 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
slider wrote:

It's not that big of a deal if your resume and cover letter are not in the same PDF. Don't sweat it.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:32 pm

RVP11 wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
slider wrote:

It's not that big of a deal if your resume and cover letter are not in the same PDF. Don't sweat it.

I agree. 1L SA positions are a complete crapshoot. If you really, really want a 1L SA position - apply to all the Alabama firms that come to spring OGI.

Artist963

Postby Artist963 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:34 am

Can you ballpark about how many people come away with employment from the "spring OGI"? It can't be very many, I'm assuming.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:06 pm

How much do the Alabama firms care about ties to the region. Ex: being from Birmingham?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:10 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:How much do the Alabama firms care about ties to the region. Ex: being from Birmingham?

My understanding - it depends on your grades. If you have great Fall 1L grades, they'll try to recruit you.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Artist963 wrote:Can you ballpark about how many people come away with employment from the "spring OGI"? It can't be very many, I'm assuming.

Last year, there were only 8 or 9 firms that came to Spring OGI and they were all looking for only a handful of 1L SA's.

The public interest OGI will have far more recruiting.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:09 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Artist963 wrote:Can you ballpark about how many people come away with employment from the "spring OGI"? It can't be very many, I'm assuming.

Last year, there were only 8 or 9 firms that came to Spring OGI and they were all looking for only a handful of 1L SA's.

The public interest OGI will have far more recruiting.

Are these symplicity cutoffs serious? Like top 25 percent for Troutman Sanders and top 15 percent for Brooks Pierce?

Also, for the government offices coming to the PI career week, can we just wait to bid on them via symplicity or do we need to abide by the deadlines that they actually list on their respective websites?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:50 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Are these symplicity cutoffs serious? Like top 25 percent for Troutman Sanders and top 15 percent for Brooks Pierce?

That might be the case for 1Ls.

For 2Ls, the cutoffs listed on Symplicity have almost no relation to the firms' actual hiring cutoffs.

plum

Postby plum » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:37 pm

does our school give out these CALI award things

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:09 pm

plum wrote:does our school give out these CALI award things

No, we don't have CALI awards. But an A+ is basically the same thing.

omg

Postby omg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:10 pm

plum wrote:does our school give out these CALI award things

Nope

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:36 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Are these symplicity cutoffs serious? Like top 25 percent for Troutman Sanders and top 15 percent for Brooks Pierce? ?

and law review/journal membership. because, ya know, we already know somehow that we're going to be on law review?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:36 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Are these symplicity cutoffs serious? Like top 25 percent for Troutman Sanders and top 15 percent for Brooks Pierce? ?

and law review/journal membership. because, ya know, we already know somehow that we're going to be on law review.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:30 pm

dailygrind wrote:

and law review/journal membership. because, ya know, we already know somehow that we're going to be on law review?

Generally firms use the same "recommendation" for all schools and for both 1Ls and 2Ls.

Seriously: completely disregard what firms say they want. Ask 2L/3Ls or Dean Donovan if you want to find out how selective a certain firm actually is.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:36 pm

I second that. Ignore the recommendations on Symplicity.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:35 pm

My note title: How Cary Bennett Ruined Winter Break

plum

Postby plum » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Cavalier wrote:My note title: How Cary Bennett Ruined Winter Break

lol seriously it feels like it's taking forever.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:26 am

Hey so I'm pretty sure i'll be applying ED either tomorrow or the next day. i've only been to monticello so I have a feel for the beauty of UVa but not a great grasp on the character (well I have a pretty good grasp from TLS and reading this thread) but I have a few questions that haven't been answered already.

1) Do any of you know if there is a surf club at UVa? I know its a bit of a drive to the beach but I plan on going at least once a semester and having a group of people to make the drive with usually makes things easier (my UG was a solid 2 hrs from the coast but I managed to go surf a few times each semester)

2) Are there any kids from California out there who'd like to tell me about the transition from the west coast to UVa?

3) Is there good bbq? (forgive my lack of southern knowledge but I honestly don't know if VA has good and easily accessible bbq)

I'll probably ask around the boards more to get a feel for the place but if there are any UVa lovers who want to give me the school in a nutshell or if anyone can refer me to another good threads I'd really appreciate it!

whoknows12

Postby whoknows12 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:53 am

Do any 2L's have any input on the Accounting and Corporate Finance classes? I think they'd be really valuable but I am really bad at economics/numbers and am considering not taking these classes until 2L year. But they seem like prerequisites for a lot of interesting 2L classes...

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fouronthe4loor

Postby fouronthe4loor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:36 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:Geis, Jeffries, and another civ pro evals are up

I hope eval-posting isn't done for the day...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”