UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vamedic03

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:57 pm

Cavalier wrote:
dailygrind wrote:break is stretching by and i'm getting a little restless (i'm living in suburbia with the folks and most of my friends are working stiffs). thinking about doing a little gunning. if anyone has or knows someone who has an old outline for con law with sprigman, property with cushman, or law and econ with hynes, i'd greatly appreciate it if you could hit me with a PM. thanks in advance.

No gunning over winter break!

TITCR. Do what I just did (as a 2L) and buy a PS3.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:31 am

vamedic03 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
dailygrind wrote:break is stretching by and i'm getting a little restless (i'm living in suburbia with the folks and most of my friends are working stiffs). thinking about doing a little gunning. if anyone has or knows someone who has an old outline for con law with sprigman, property with cushman, or law and econ with hynes, i'd greatly appreciate it if you could hit me with a PM. thanks in advance.

XB360 is much better. But probably not a good idea. I didnt/dont have one in UG and i think it is a very good thing as all it can do is distract for no reason. Unless of course you are doing a dynasty on NCAA, then its worth while :p

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:33 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

XB360 is much better. But probably not a good idea. I didnt/dont have one in UG and i think it is a very good thing as all it can do is distract for no reason. Unless of course you are doing a dynasty on NCAA, then its worth while :p

Distractions aren't a problem once you're a 2L, thank goodness.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:45 am

I consider law school a distraction.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:59 am

Unless you dont have a job lined up?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:28 am

The vast majority of people I know have something lined up. Even those few who don't are working a lot less than they were as 1Ls.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:27 pm

RVP11 wrote:

The vast majority of people I know have something lined up. Even those few who don't are working a lot less than they were as 1Ls.

This is really nice to hear lol

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:35 am

RVP11 wrote:

This is really nice to hear lol

He knows two people.

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Can anyone that lived in the Jeffersonian tell me how much they paid for electricity and cable TV? From what I understand these are the only things that aren't included in your rent.

On a side note, just bought a softball glove!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:14 pm

upalittletoolate

Postby upalittletoolate » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:20 am

YCrevolution wrote:
pjo wrote:Can anyone that lived in the Jeffersonian tell me how much they paid for electricity and cable TV? From what I understand these are the only things that aren't included in your rent.

Electricity ranges from $35 to $75 for me (probably $55 median). I only get cable Internet ($55), but I think basic cable and Internet is between $60 to $70.

Sorry- but is the wireless Internet not included? I was under the impression it was. Or did you need a faster connection?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:29 am

upalittletoolate

Postby upalittletoolate » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:10 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
upalittletoolate wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
pjo wrote:Can anyone that lived in the Jeffersonian tell me how much they paid for electricity and cable TV? From what I understand these are the only things that aren't included in your rent.

Electricity ranges from $35 to $75 for me (probably $55 median). I only get cable Internet ($55), but I think basic cable and Internet is between $60 to $70.

Sorry- but is the wireless Internet not included? I was under the impression it was. Or did you need a faster connection?

Wireless Internet is included. If you don't live within one apartment of 1/2 access points or you'd like to have faster-than-dial-up speeds from 08:00 to 02:00 (that is to say, if you want to use the Internet anytime other than early in the morning from 02:00 to 08:00), you'll want cable Internet (CenturyLink also offers slower DSL for almost the same price as what Comcast will charge).* Just about everyone I know has Comcast Internet.

*CenturyLink claims that they'll have 6mpbs DSL at some point for cheaper than Comcast.

Got it- definitely good to know!!

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Looks like some of the 1L's will be getting their first grades soon. Best of luck to y'all.

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Grades were up for that class last night.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:46 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:Grades were up for that class last night.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

omg

Postby omg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Law ITC must have received some other grades besides just Sinclair's between Dec. 23 and now (or recently), right?? Grr...

whoknows12

Postby whoknows12 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:11 pm

where do grades show up?

plum

Postby plum » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:14 pm

ah so the whole "course evaluations go up first then grades shortly thereafter" notion floating around here is not necessarily true?

omg

Postby omg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Spoke too soon--another eval just went up!

Grades are in SIS; there's a link to it on Lawweb, or you can Google "UVA SIS." Usually they show up later the same day as the course evals on Lawweb, although sometimes it can take a few days. Rarely, they show up beforehand, but that seems only to happen with early grades (like Sinclair's Civ Pro last year and apparently this year as well).

omg

Postby omg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:16 pm

plum wrote:

ah so the whole "course evaluations go up first then grades shortly thereafter" notion floating around here is not necessarily true?

In my experience, it has always been true EXCEPT when they first get the ball rolling after New Years (see my post immediately above). I would expect, from this point onward, that course evals will go up first. But, since it's happened to me before that a grade has shown up before the eval, I always obsessively check both SIS and Lawweb, haha.

plum

Postby plum » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:21 pm

omg wrote:Spoke too soon--another eval just went up!

Grades are in SIS; there's a link to it on Lawweb, or you can Google "UVA SIS." Usually they show up later the same day as the course evals on Lawweb, although sometimes it can take a few days. Rarely, they show up beforehand, but that seems only to happen with early grades (like Sinclair's Civ Pro last year and apparently this year as well).

do the grades show up under "course history"?

omg

Postby omg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:24 pm

plum wrote:

When you log in, it should take you to a page that says "___'s Student Center." From the "other academic..." pulldown menu, you can select "Grades" and then click the arrow. It will probably take you to next spring semester, so click "change term," and voila.

plum

Postby plum » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:33 pm

omg wrote:
plum wrote:

When you log in, it should take you to a page that says "___'s Student Center." From the "other academic..." pulldown menu, you can select "Grades" and then click the arrow. It will probably take you to next spring semester, so click "change term," and voila.

damn lol it took me like 10 minutes to find that. didn't even realize it was hidden there this whole time.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:47 pm

plum wrote:
omg wrote:
plum wrote:

damn lol it took me like 10 minutes to find that. didn't even realize it was hidden there this whole time.

I figured this out the hard way when I checked SIS and got my grade last night :)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”