UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:57 pm

Cavalier wrote:
dailygrind wrote:break is stretching by and i'm getting a little restless (i'm living in suburbia with the folks and most of my friends are working stiffs). thinking about doing a little gunning. if anyone has or knows someone who has an old outline for con law with sprigman, property with cushman, or law and econ with hynes, i'd greatly appreciate it if you could hit me with a PM. thanks in advance.

No gunning over winter break!


TITCR. Do what I just did (as a 2L) and buy a PS3.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:31 am

vamedic03 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
dailygrind wrote:break is stretching by and i'm getting a little restless (i'm living in suburbia with the folks and most of my friends are working stiffs). thinking about doing a little gunning. if anyone has or knows someone who has an old outline for con law with sprigman, property with cushman, or law and econ with hynes, i'd greatly appreciate it if you could hit me with a PM. thanks in advance.

No gunning over winter break!


TITCR. Do what I just did (as a 2L) and buy a PS3.


XB360 is much better. But probably not a good idea. I didnt/dont have one in UG and i think it is a very good thing as all it can do is distract for no reason. Unless of course you are doing a dynasty on NCAA, then its worth while :p

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby RVP11 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:33 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
dailygrind wrote:break is stretching by and i'm getting a little restless (i'm living in suburbia with the folks and most of my friends are working stiffs). thinking about doing a little gunning. if anyone has or knows someone who has an old outline for con law with sprigman, property with cushman, or law and econ with hynes, i'd greatly appreciate it if you could hit me with a PM. thanks in advance.

No gunning over winter break!


TITCR. Do what I just did (as a 2L) and buy a PS3.


XB360 is much better. But probably not a good idea. I didnt/dont have one in UG and i think it is a very good thing as all it can do is distract for no reason. Unless of course you are doing a dynasty on NCAA, then its worth while :p


Distractions aren't a problem once you're a 2L, thank goodness.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:45 am

I consider law school a distraction.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:59 am

Distractions aren't a problem once you're a 2L, thank goodness.


Unless you dont have a job lined up?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby RVP11 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:28 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Distractions aren't a problem once you're a 2L, thank goodness.


Unless you dont have a job lined up?


The vast majority of people I know have something lined up. Even those few who don't are working a lot less than they were as 1Ls.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:27 pm

RVP11 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
Distractions aren't a problem once you're a 2L, thank goodness.


Unless you dont have a job lined up?


The vast majority of people I know have something lined up. Even those few who don't are working a lot less than they were as 1Ls.


This is really nice to hear lol

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:35 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
Distractions aren't a problem once you're a 2L, thank goodness.


Unless you dont have a job lined up?


The vast majority of people I know have something lined up. Even those few who don't are working a lot less than they were as 1Ls.


This is really nice to hear lol

He knows two people.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby pjo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Can anyone that lived in the Jeffersonian tell me how much they paid for electricity and cable TV? From what I understand these are the only things that aren't included in your rent.

On a side note, just bought a softball glove!

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:14 pm

..

User avatar
upalittletoolate
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:55 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby upalittletoolate » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:20 am

YCrevolution wrote:
pjo wrote:Can anyone that lived in the Jeffersonian tell me how much they paid for electricity and cable TV? From what I understand these are the only things that aren't included in your rent.

On a side note, just bought a softball glove!

Electricity ranges from $35 to $75 for me (probably $55 median). I only get cable Internet ($55), but I think basic cable and Internet is between $60 to $70.



Sorry- but is the wireless Internet not included? I was under the impression it was. Or did you need a faster connection?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:29 am

..

User avatar
upalittletoolate
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:55 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby upalittletoolate » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:10 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
upalittletoolate wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
pjo wrote:Can anyone that lived in the Jeffersonian tell me how much they paid for electricity and cable TV? From what I understand these are the only things that aren't included in your rent.

On a side note, just bought a softball glove!

Electricity ranges from $35 to $75 for me (probably $55 median). I only get cable Internet ($55), but I think basic cable and Internet is between $60 to $70.



Sorry- but is the wireless Internet not included? I was under the impression it was. Or did you need a faster connection?

Wireless Internet is included. If you don't live within one apartment of 1/2 access points or you'd like to have faster-than-dial-up speeds from 08:00 to 02:00 (that is to say, if you want to use the Internet anytime other than early in the morning from 02:00 to 08:00), you'll want cable Internet (CenturyLink also offers slower DSL for almost the same price as what Comcast will charge).* Just about everyone I know has Comcast Internet.

*CenturyLink claims that they'll have 6mpbs DSL at some point for cheaper than Comcast.



Got it- definitely good to know!!

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Looks like some of the 1L's will be getting their first grades soon. Best of luck to y'all.

whattodo2008
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:29 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby whattodo2008 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Grades were up for that class last night.

uvahooo
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby uvahooo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:46 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:Grades were up for that class last night.


AHHHHHHHHHHHH

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Law ITC must have received some other grades besides just Sinclair's between Dec. 23 and now (or recently), right?? Grr...

whoknows12
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby whoknows12 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:11 pm

where do grades show up?

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby plum » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:14 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:Grades were up for that class last night.

ah so the whole "course evaluations go up first then grades shortly thereafter" notion floating around here is not necessarily true?

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Spoke too soon--another eval just went up!

Grades are in SIS; there's a link to it on Lawweb, or you can Google "UVA SIS." Usually they show up later the same day as the course evals on Lawweb, although sometimes it can take a few days. Rarely, they show up beforehand, but that seems only to happen with early grades (like Sinclair's Civ Pro last year and apparently this year as well).

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:16 pm

plum wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:Grades were up for that class last night.

ah so the whole "course evaluations go up first then grades shortly thereafter" notion floating around here is not necessarily true?


In my experience, it has always been true EXCEPT when they first get the ball rolling after New Years (see my post immediately above). I would expect, from this point onward, that course evals will go up first. But, since it's happened to me before that a grade has shown up before the eval, I always obsessively check both SIS and Lawweb, haha.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby plum » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:21 pm

omg wrote:Spoke too soon--another eval just went up!

Grades are in SIS; there's a link to it on Lawweb, or you can Google "UVA SIS." Usually they show up later the same day as the course evals on Lawweb, although sometimes it can take a few days. Rarely, they show up beforehand, but that seems only to happen with early grades (like Sinclair's Civ Pro last year and apparently this year as well).

do the grades show up under "course history"?

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:24 pm

plum wrote:
omg wrote:Spoke too soon--another eval just went up!

Grades are in SIS; there's a link to it on Lawweb, or you can Google "UVA SIS." Usually they show up later the same day as the course evals on Lawweb, although sometimes it can take a few days. Rarely, they show up beforehand, but that seems only to happen with early grades (like Sinclair's Civ Pro last year and apparently this year as well).

do the grades show up under "course history"?


When you log in, it should take you to a page that says "___'s Student Center." From the "other academic..." pulldown menu, you can select "Grades" and then click the arrow. It will probably take you to next spring semester, so click "change term," and voila.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby plum » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:33 pm

omg wrote:
plum wrote:
omg wrote:Spoke too soon--another eval just went up!

Grades are in SIS; there's a link to it on Lawweb, or you can Google "UVA SIS." Usually they show up later the same day as the course evals on Lawweb, although sometimes it can take a few days. Rarely, they show up beforehand, but that seems only to happen with early grades (like Sinclair's Civ Pro last year and apparently this year as well).

do the grades show up under "course history"?


When you log in, it should take you to a page that says "___'s Student Center." From the "other academic..." pulldown menu, you can select "Grades" and then click the arrow. It will probably take you to next spring semester, so click "change term," and voila.

damn lol it took me like 10 minutes to find that. didn't even realize it was hidden there this whole time.

uvahooo
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby uvahooo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:47 pm

plum wrote:
omg wrote:
plum wrote:
omg wrote:Spoke too soon--another eval just went up!

Grades are in SIS; there's a link to it on Lawweb, or you can Google "UVA SIS." Usually they show up later the same day as the course evals on Lawweb, although sometimes it can take a few days. Rarely, they show up beforehand, but that seems only to happen with early grades (like Sinclair's Civ Pro last year and apparently this year as well).

do the grades show up under "course history"?


When you log in, it should take you to a page that says "___'s Student Center." From the "other academic..." pulldown menu, you can select "Grades" and then click the arrow. It will probably take you to next spring semester, so click "change term," and voila.

damn lol it took me like 10 minutes to find that. didn't even realize it was hidden there this whole time.


I figured this out the hard way when I checked SIS and got my grade last night :)




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests