UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kohinoor

Gold

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 pm

tumbleweed664 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:I think some of the problem is that a lot of people are only willing to look at NYC, Cali, and DC.
I know UVA is a T10 and thus, at least in better times, placed in all the major markets. Is Cali Biglaw still viable from UVA?
It better be.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:44 pm

tumbleweed664 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:I think some of the problem is that a lot of people are only willing to look at NYC, Cali, and DC.
I know UVA is a T10 and thus, at least in better times, placed in all the major markets. Is Cali Biglaw still viable from UVA?
In some ways more viable than DC BigLaw, if this year's OGI is anything to go on.

I don't buy the argument that ITE is making top schools more regional. It's just making them place a lot worse.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:47 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:I don't buy the argument that ITE is making top schools more regional. It's just making them place a lot worse.
I think it's actually making them less regional. I've heard from 2Ls that haven't been able to find jobs in the cities they want so they're starting to look elsewhere on the theory that work in the wrong city is better than no work. People who wanted DC BigLaw are now looking at Atlanta and Dallas and trying to find a way to get in the door there because there are jobs there.

SweetnessUVA

New

Post by SweetnessUVA » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:53 pm

So I have nine months and no job (I'm travelling until school starts), so I'm going to bring the E&E books to read before starting school. My question is about the horn books. Are the recommendations offered by TLS correct for UVA or are there better horn books to buy and study from?

The TLS Recommendations:
Torts (Prosser & Keeton)
Criminal Law (La Fave)
Contracts (Calamari & Perill) - also recommends Corbin's Contracts
Civil Procedure (Friedenthal, Kane & Miller)
Constitutional Law (Nowak & Rotunda)

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:05 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:So I have nine months and no job (I'm travelling until school starts), so I'm going to bring the E&E books to read before starting school. My question is about the horn books. Are the recommendations offered by TLS correct for UVA or are there better horn books to buy and study from?

The TLS Recommendations:
Torts (Prosser & Keeton)
Criminal Law (La Fave)
Don't read anything before law school about Torts unless you read Ken Abraham's book.

Ken Abraham is the God of Torts at UVA law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:21 pm

CE2JD wrote:Don't read anything before law school about Torts unless you read Ken Abraham's book.

+1

It's called "The Forms and Functions of Tort Law" by Kenneth S. Abraham. If you're gonna read anything from Contracts, I'd recommend the Contracts equivalent, "Concepts and Case Analysis in the Law of Contracts" by Chirelstein. I think these books might be better for someone new to the law than E&Es anyway, they're written in a more readable format.

You should also get "Thinking Like a Lawyer: A New Introduction to Legal Reasoning" by Frederick Schauer. It's more about the fundamentals of legal thinking, which will help you with how to approach the material. Schauer is a current UVA professor.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:11 pm

CE2JD wrote:
Don't read anything before law school about Torts unless you read Ken Abraham's book.

How useful is his book to people who don't have him?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:45 pm

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:41 pm

napolnic wrote:
CE2JD wrote:

It was actually on the required texts list for my class and I don't even have him. Besides that, it's a rather clear and concise explanation of Torts, probably as good as you're going to get for something accessible to a 0L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

j2d3

New

Post by j2d3 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:48 pm

This is all u need 2 know about torts:

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:06 am

SweetnessUVA wrote:So I have nine months and no job (I'm travelling until school starts), so I'm going to bring the E&E books to read before starting school. My question is about the horn books. Are the recommendations offered by TLS correct for UVA or are there better horn books to buy and study from?

The TLS Recommendations:
Torts (Prosser & Keeton)
Criminal Law (La Fave)
I can't say that I used any of those.

Torts: Abraham
Criminal Law: Low (It's not the greatest book but most the professors use the textbook written by Bonnie, Low and a few other professors)
Contracts: Chirelstein
Civil Procedure: Glannon

I'd skip Con Law and Property (actually I'd skip all of them before law school). Both Property and Con Law are taught during 2nd semester and you will remember next to nothing.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:51 am

vanwinkle wrote:
napolnic wrote:
CE2JD wrote:

It was actually on the required texts list for my class and I don't even have him. Besides that, it's a rather clear and concise explanation of Torts, probably as good as you're going to get for something accessible to a 0L.
As I have him, I was just wondering how much of his idiosyncrasies are channeled through other profs.

Sweetness

New

Post by Sweetness » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:10 pm

Wahoo1L wrote:

The TLS Recommendations:
Torts (Prosser & Keeton)
Criminal Law (La Fave)
I can't say that I used any of those.

Torts: Abraham
Criminal Law: Low (It's not the greatest book but most the professors use the textbook written by Bonnie, Low and a few other professors)
Contracts: Chirelstein
Civil Procedure: Glannon

I'd skip Con Law and Property (actually I'd skip all of them before law school). Both Property and Con Law are taught during 2nd semester and you will remember next to nothing.
These are the four, right?:

* Concepts And Case Analysis in the Law of Contracts (Concepts and Insights) - Marvin A. Chirelstein
* Black Letter Outline on Criminal Law - Peter W. Low
* The Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure: Learning Civil Procedure Through Multiple-Choice Questions and Analysis - Joseph W. Glannon
* The Forms and Functions of Tort Law, 3d (Concepts and Insights) - Kenneth S. Abraham

In addition to these and the E&E series, is that pretty much it for books that will be used for the 1L first semester? Also, how much variance is there between different professors in the use of these books?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:21 pm

Most professors here at least suggest you read the Abraham and the Low books, because they both teach here. How useful you will find any of the books listed above (including the E&Es) will really vary based on your professor.

For example, I have the same Contracts professor Wahoo1L had but I don't find the Chirelstein all that useful - OTOH, I really like the Contracts E&E even though it receives very little love on TLS. And though the CivPro E&E is very well written, my CivPro professor is terrific and consistently clear, so I'm not sure what the E&E is going to add other than the superb questions and answers. The CivPro and Torts E&Es are supposed to be the best in series, but due to the focuses of my professors, they've been least useful for me.

Generally, professors aren't going to test on doctrinal or application wrinkles they didn't at least mention in class, so please don't feel like E&Es (or supplements in general) are the cheat codes to great grades, or that they're at all necessary. Supplements are best when either you didn't understand something in class and need clarification (and maybe aren't the type to go to office hours or ask after class) or you want an additional perspective on an issue.

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Are there any good doughnut places in Charlottesville?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:55 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Wahoo1L wrote:Are there any good doughnut places in Charlottesville?
I hear spudnuts is pretty good (they use potato flour).
I was not aware you could make donuts out of potatoes, but they look good....
--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I was not aware you could make donuts out of potatoes
You can make flour out of potatoes and then you can make almost anything with potato flour. The thing is it ends up with a slightly different taste and consistency than bakery goods made with wheat flour.

However, I love me some potato rolls, so I would probably enjoy potato doughnuts. YCR, I demand an address for this place so I can experience it and report back to the thread!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:13 pm

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:28 pm

Now that finals are very close how is the atmosphere? Still collegial or is everyone angry closet gunning to destroy their classmates?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:30 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Now that finals are very close how is the atmosphere? Still collegial or is everyone angry closet gunning to destroy their classmates?
We've all just quietly gone off our separate ways to study. Classes have pretty much wound down (Thanksgiving break started Wednesday, and we only have classes for a couple days next week before they end for good) and mostly we're all spending our free time studying.

Except the ones that are spending our free time on TLS. :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:37 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Now that finals are very close how is the atmosphere? Still collegial or is everyone angry closet gunning to destroy their classmates?
Things are definitely more tense (it is, after all, one of the most important times of our legal careers), but everyone is still friendly. Sure, some people have formed study groups and talk to each other in low voices about the problems they were working on earlier, but I still don't think (maybe I'm just blind and will find myself crushed during finals) that people are working 12 hours a day, taking dozens of practice tests, etc. Being at top school is nice - even with the economy, people know they don't have to get top 5% to get big law.

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:49 pm

The more I read about UVA the more interested I get! Its currently my #1 choice of the T14 along with Northwestern

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:52 am

jms1987 wrote:The more I read about UVA the more interested I get! Its currently my #1 choice of the T14 along with Northwestern
Possibly the two most diametrically opposed peer schools.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:53 am

The angry closet gunning was always there. Now people just don't have time for softball.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”