UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vamedic03

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:55 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:This might seem like a too general question. I'll specify more if needed.

How easy is it to get a public interest job after graduation? I'm not really familiar with how public interest sectors hire, but do many of them come to UVA's OGI?

Thanks!

Aside from a few gov't agencies and a few DA/PD offices, PI employers don't come to UVA OGI. There is a February PI OGI session (in which 1Ls can also often participate). We do have an intense PI dean/director (Yared Getachew) who can provide some guidance.

As for how easy/hard it is to get a PI job after graduation, that depends on what you want to do. Getting a nice/prestigious federal job is going to be difficult as will working for any of the really big PI orgs. If you're willing to go smaller (and possibly non-urban), your biggest challenge is probably going to be convincing the PI org that you're committed to PI work (as well as their hiring needs... they're a lot smaller than biglaw)... make sure you rack up some serious pro bono hours when you're in law school, including 1L (if you can) and 2L year.

I think that YC had TCR. But, to add a couple details:

1) A lot of people think that PI is easier to get than Big Law, often its harder. For many organizations, you have to have both the grades + the passion. That said, a lot of places will look past grades.

2) You have to do a lot of hustling - there's only so much Yared can do (though, he works incredibly hard). If you want a PI job, you have to be willing to go out there and do the hustling. You can't just send in an application, you have to contact alumnis and do everything you can to go out there and hunt down the jobs.

3) A lot of places won't hire you until you pass the bar - so, you have to widen your search. One thing that people who want to be local DA's will do are state trial court and appellate clerkships.

Overall, I think the take home point is that no matter where you go to law school, its a tougher path to pursue PI jobs. That said, I think that UVA will put you in a great position to get them and there is great support at UVA if you choose to go down the PI path.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Thank you both for the answers. They are very helpful.

AJW

Postby AJW » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Hey guys I got accepted in September and needless to say I am stoked. I wanted to get your opinion on housing options. I am married and have one little boy who is 18 months old so we don't want to be in a 'party' complex but yet still want to be involved as much as we can in the Law school so we can become completely enmeshed in the atmosphere.

Any ideas for a 3 bed that is somewhat close to the Law school or that would be on a bus route? Thanks for all of the past posts it all has been very helpful.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:24 pm

AJW wrote:Hey guys I got accepted in September and needless to say I am stoked. I wanted to get your opinion on housing options. I am married and have one little boy who is 18 months old so we don't want to be in a 'party' complex but yet still want to be involved as much as we can in the Law school so we can become completely enmeshed in the atmosphere.

Any ideas for a 3 bed that is somewhat close to the Law school or that would be on a bus route? Thanks for all of the past posts it all has been very helpful.

My family (wife, 2-year-old son, and 3-month-old daughter) and I really like Copeley Hill (UVA Family Housing). It's really bare-bones in terms of amenities (no carpet, radiant heat, no dishwasher or garbage disposal, concrete walls), but the size is decent (nearly 1100 sq. ft.), there are playgrounds throughout, it's right next to the law school, and the price is fantastic ($943/month including utilities and internet). Other than the roar of the crowd from soccer/lacrosse/baseball games, it couldn't be much quieter. --LinkRemoved--

kaftka juice

Postby kaftka juice » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:57 pm

So I'm planning on visiting UVA either this Saturday 10/23 or next Sunday 10/31. Unfortunately I can't come on one of the actual visit days (aka Monday-Friday) because of work. I was wondering if any UVA students would be able to give me a tour? Or perhaps just on TLS give me a basic idea of what to look out for on my self-guided tour?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:11 pm

kaftka juice

Postby kaftka juice » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:14 pm

thanks for your offer, but my car just decided to start having issues. looks like i'll (hopefully) be going next weekend :|

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:22 pm

5ky wrote:Assuming a 1L will be taking a 4 credit "substantive" class as one of their two electives in the Spring, what are the recommendations for the remaining elective (1-3 credits)?

1 credit. Maximize your GPA.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:59 pm

RVP11 wrote:
5ky wrote:Assuming a 1L will be taking a 4 credit "substantive" class as one of their two electives in the Spring, what are the recommendations for the remaining elective (1-3 credits)?

How does a 1 credit maxaminze your GPA? jw because wont it still be based off of a curve?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:37 pm

jt1341 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

How does a 1 credit maxaminze your GPA? jw because wont it still be based off of a curve?

Theoretically it should be easier to get better grades when you're taking fewer credits, no? You'll be spending more time on each class. Most of the 1 credit seminars you can blow off for most of the year, write a short paper in a couple days, and cash in a decent grade.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:12 pm

so cynical. i like it.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:19 pm

RVP11 wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Theoretically it should be easier to get better grades when you're taking fewer credits, no? You'll be spending more time on each class. Most of the 1 credit seminars you can blow off for most of the year, write a short paper in a couple days, and cash in a decent grade.

O so different people have different numbers of units? Do some students take 15 units while others take 12 like in UG?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:51 pm

The minimum you can take (not counting LRW) is 13, and the maximum is 15. So it's not a major difference, but you might as well go easy on yourself to ensure the best grades possible - firms aren't going to be impressed by you taking the max load.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:25 pm

Take whatever interests you. Just watch out for classes that are notoriously hard. Insurance with Abraham, due to its heavy B+ curve, and Legislation with Nelson, due to the amount of work the class requires and the gunners it attracts, come to mind. You should also avoid seminars for now. From my limited experience, classes that are on the transaction side tend to have more slackers than classes on the litigation side.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:26 pm

I read in another thread that UVA is revamping their LRAP. Any word on this?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:26 pm

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 pm

YCrevolution wrote:You mean, aside from the changes they made effective for Class of 2013?

Hrmmmm, maybe not.
Last I read, federal was better than UVA's LRAP, & that may have been before these changes you speak of.
Is their LRAP now better than IBR?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:48 pm

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:00 am

Thx.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:29 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Take whatever interests you. Just watch out for classes that are notoriously hard. Insurance with Abraham, due to its heavy B+ curve, and Legislation with Nelson, due to the amount of work the class requires and the gunners it attracts, come to mind. You should also avoid seminars for now. From my limited experience, classes that are on the transaction side tend to have more slackers than classes on the litigation side.

Wouldnt a heavy B+ curve be good??

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:37 pm

jt1341 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Depends on which end of things you expect to be on. ITE, being stuck in the middle of the pack might not be the best thing in the world.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:20 pm

This is true. A bigger curve would be rough if you were on the downside of the curve...

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:51 pm

jt1341 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Well, it depends on your abilities and what you're hoping for. If for whatever reason you struggle with law school exams, or don't desire to do any better than median, a B+ heavy curve is a good thing. But if you want to and are capable of doing better, a curve with more A- and A grades will benefit you.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Nelson is a rite of passage!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”