UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:48 am

Can someone give me advice on how to approach Criminal Law with Jeffries?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:21 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Can someone give me advice on how to approach Criminal Law with Jeffries?

Probably not, because he didn't teach it last year (or even the year before, I think).

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:38 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Can someone give me advice on how to approach Criminal Law with Jeffries?


No clue for Jeffries in particular, but just do your reading, pay attention in class, and see how it goes... none of 1L year will make a lot of sense for the 1st month.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 005618502 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:46 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
dadengcrew wrote:My application cycle is about to start. Any last advice from you guys on avoiding the giant UVA waitlist?


ED


With a 175+ and a 3.9... I would be aiming for HYS or at least CCN

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:38 pm

jt1341 wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:
dadengcrew wrote:My application cycle is about to start. Any last advice from you guys on avoiding the giant UVA waitlist?


ED


With a 175+ and a 3.9... I would be aiming for HYS or at least CCN


I read his post without looking at his numbers. Even after seeing them, my point still stands. If you're just trying to get the best school you can get into, don't ED and just aim for HYS.

If UVA, for some reason, is your number 1 choice then ED.

There's a high chance that even with a "Why UVA," you'll get waitlisted. You'll definitely get in somewhere higher ranked, but just know that without ED you might not get into UVA.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:56 pm

About to write my "Why UVA?".. what do you guys think is special about your school?? My main attraction to it is the collegiate style setting/location.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:08 pm

tkgrrett wrote:About to write my "Why UVA?".. what do you guys think is special about your school?? My main attraction to it is the collegiate style setting/location.

Collegiality between students is a huge deal here. Sure, we all know deep down inside that we are fighting against each other for grades (and therefore job prospects), but practically everyone here tries their best to be friendly, helpful, and supportive to everyone else.

To that end, douchey gunnerdom is very poorly received. I quote from this week's Virginia Law Weekly: "[A]nother 1L refused to take part in the Island Game (an icebreaking, name-learning game played within each section) during Orientation, saying that he 'wasn't here to learn names' before going back to his casebook. U.Va. Law is a wonderful place of beer, softball, and camaraderie. Stop defecating on our traditions."

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:02 pm

tkgrrett wrote:About to write my "Why UVA?".. what do you guys think is special about your school?? My main attraction to it is the collegiate style setting/location.


Because you will literally enjoy Law School more here than anywhere else in the country. If you let it this will be the most fun you could ever have in Law School.

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Heat » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:49 am

I applied yesterday and sent in an ED agreement like two days ago. Wish me luck! :)

3.59/171

Oh and I wrote a Why UVA essay which was mostly about the location.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Deuce » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:52 am

I am so close to EDing... somebody give me the extra encouragement to commit...

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Heat » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:55 am

Ildeuce wrote:I am so close to EDing... somebody give me the extra encouragement to commit...


I would but then I'd have to compete with you.

In all seriousness - 15 days - kthnx.

nyk3
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby nyk3 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:04 pm

For the VA residency form, if we are not dependents, does a parent/guardian still have to sign? The form does not make that very clear.

Xaintes
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Xaintes » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:19 pm

nyk3 wrote:For the VA residency form, if we are not dependents, does a parent/guardian still have to sign? The form does not make that very clear.


I don't believe so. I submitted mine and already have my residency confirmed with no parent/guardian signature. I think that only applies if you're trying to get residency as a dependent, aka you're financially dependent or you've been out of state but your parents have retained residence or something of that nature.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:57 pm

2.76 / 177 / URM (Mexican American) / WE

Seriously, I go back and forth whether or not I should ED. Virginia is my top choice in the lower T14 by far. What are my chances at T6?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:38 pm

Tiva wrote:2.76 / 177 / URM (Mexican American) / WE

Seriously, I go back and forth whether or not I should ED. Virginia is my top choice in the lower T14 by far. What are my chances at T6?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Where do you want to work? If you want to work in NY or Chicago your decision is more difficult, but if you want to work anywhere else, you should go with UVA. Better quality of life + lower cost of living.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Deuce » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

I thought UVA has a good reach in to NY?

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Ildeuce wrote:I thought UVA has a good reach in to NY?

It does. All T14 schools do. But the two NYC schools have great reaches into their home city (as does U. of Chicago in its).

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:28 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:I thought UVA has a good reach in to NY?

It does. All T14 schools do. But the two NYC schools have great reaches into their home city (as does U. of Chicago in its).

This. If your grades are decent you'll get something in NY, but you'll probably have more and better options at Columbia or NYU. Of course, if your grades are strong it won't make much of a difference what school you attend unless you are shooting for Wachtell or Cravath.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:46 pm

Cavalier wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:I thought UVA has a good reach in to NY?

It does. All T14 schools do. But the two NYC schools have great reaches into their home city (as does U. of Chicago in its).

This. If your grades are decent you'll get something in NY, but you'll probably have more and better options at Columbia or NYU. Of course, if your grades are strong it won't make much of a difference what school you attend unless you are shooting for Wachtell or Cravath.



I just want to reiterate the comments about our QOL. I am just a 1L but the vibe here is just totally unlike the description that I've heard from any other law school. People here really are friendly, they aren't cutthroat, they actually care about things other than law school, and the professors are (for the most part) concerned about teaching you the material in an understandable way. Let me tell you something, a lot of undergrad schools don't even fit that description---it's a unique place. Honestly, I think I would come to UVA with a full ride over HYS if I had the choice--seriously. Looking back on it, and no disrespect to those schools, but I don't think I could have handled the culture of Columbia, Chicago, Penn, or GULC. All those schools just give off a vibe of really type A students and intense pressure to measure up to whoever is next to you. Honestly, the only difference between the people here and the people in my undergrad is that they do eventually stop partying and buckle down to study here--other than that (and their accomplishments) they are normal people.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:00 am

BruceWayne wrote:I just want to reiterate the comments about our QOL. I am just a 1L but the vibe here is just totally unlike the description that I've heard from any other law school. People here really are friendly, they aren't cutthroat, they actually care about things other than law school, and the professors are (for the most part) concerned about teaching you the material in an understandable way. Let me tell you something, a lot of undergrad schools don't even fit that description---it's a unique place. Honestly, I think I would come to UVA with a full ride over HYS if I had the choice--seriously. Looking back on it, and no disrespect to those schools, but I don't think I could have handled the culture of Columbia, Chicago, Penn, or GULC. All those schools just give off a vibe of really type A students and intense pressure to measure up to whoever is next to you. Honestly, the only difference between the people here and the people in my undergrad is that they do eventually stop partying and buckle down to study here--other than that (and their accomplishments) they are normal people.

I'll vouch for this description, and say that I definitely miss UVA a heck of a lot.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks for the descriptions of UVA law. Time for me to write that essay.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:I just want to reiterate the comments about our QOL. I am just a 1L but the vibe here is just totally unlike the description that I've heard from any other law school. People here really are friendly, they aren't cutthroat, they actually care about things other than law school, and the professors are (for the most part) concerned about teaching you the material in an understandable way. Let me tell you something, a lot of undergrad schools don't even fit that description---it's a unique place. Honestly, I think I would come to UVA with a full ride over HYS if I had the choice--seriously. Looking back on it, and no disrespect to those schools, but I don't think I could have handled the culture of Columbia, Chicago, Penn, or GULC. All those schools just give off a vibe of really type A students and intense pressure to measure up to whoever is next to you. Honestly, the only difference between the people here and the people in my undergrad is that they do eventually stop partying and buckle down to study here--other than that (and their accomplishments) they are normal people.

I'll vouch for this description, and say that I definitely miss UVA a heck of a lot.

I'm jealous. Boston is teh awesome sauce. SO MUCH GOOD ETHNIC FOOD. OH MY GOD.

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby wackjickham » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:33 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:I thought UVA has a good reach in to NY?

It does. All T14 schools do. But the two NYC schools have great reaches into their home city (as does U. of Chicago in its).

This. If your grades are decent you'll get something in NY, but you'll probably have more and better options at Columbia or NYU. Of course, if your grades are strong it won't make much of a difference what school you attend unless you are shooting for Wachtell or Cravath.



I just want to reiterate the comments about our QOL. I am just a 1L but the vibe here is just totally unlike the description that I've heard from any other law school. People here really are friendly, they aren't cutthroat, they actually care about things other than law school, and the professors are (for the most part) concerned about teaching you the material in an understandable way. Let me tell you something, a lot of undergrad schools don't even fit that description---it's a unique place. Honestly, I think I would come to UVA with a full ride over HYS if I had the choice--seriously. Looking back on it, and no disrespect to those schools, but I don't think I could have handled the culture of Columbia, Chicago, Penn, or GULC. All those schools just give off a vibe of really type A students and intense pressure to measure up to whoever is next to you. Honestly, the only difference between the people here and the people in my undergrad is that they do eventually stop partying and buckle down to study here--other than that (and their accomplishments) they are normal people.


This.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby jawsthegreat » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:I just want to reiterate the comments about our QOL. I am just a 1L but the vibe here is just totally unlike the description that I've heard from any other law school. People here really are friendly, they aren't cutthroat, they actually care about things other than law school, and the professors are (for the most part) concerned about teaching you the material in an understandable way. Let me tell you something, a lot of undergrad schools don't even fit that description---it's a unique place. Honestly, I think I would come to UVA with a full ride over HYS if I had the choice--seriously. Looking back on it, and no disrespect to those schools, but I don't think I could have handled the culture of Columbia, Chicago, Penn, or GULC. All those schools just give off a vibe of really type A students and intense pressure to measure up to whoever is next to you. Honestly, the only difference between the people here and the people in my undergrad is that they do eventually stop partying and buckle down to study here--other than that (and their accomplishments) they are normal people.

I'll vouch for this description, and say that I definitely miss UVA a heck of a lot.


Unless u end up in a random field at 5 AM, i agree also.

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby swinger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:42 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:I just want to reiterate the comments about our QOL. I am just a 1L but the vibe here is just totally unlike the description that I've heard from any other law school. People here really are friendly, they aren't cutthroat, they actually care about things other than law school, and the professors are (for the most part) concerned about teaching you the material in an understandable way. Let me tell you something, a lot of undergrad schools don't even fit that description---it's a unique place. Honestly, I think I would come to UVA with a full ride over HYS if I had the choice--seriously. Looking back on it, and no disrespect to those schools, but I don't think I could have handled the culture of Columbia, Chicago, Penn, or GULC. All those schools just give off a vibe of really type A students and intense pressure to measure up to whoever is next to you. Honestly, the only difference between the people here and the people in my undergrad is that they do eventually stop partying and buckle down to study here--other than that (and their accomplishments) they are normal people.

I'll vouch for this description, and say that I definitely miss UVA a heck of a lot.


Unless u end up in a random field at 5 AM, i agree also.


One could argue that ending up in a random field at 5 AM adds to the QOL... how many students at other law schools get to have so much fun that they can be put into that situation?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests