UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
showNprove

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby showNprove » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:36 pm

howcani111 wrote:
showNprove wrote:
jnorsky wrote:If there are 30 people in a section, and only like 3 people get A's on each exam, how can 9 people make LR from a section? Arent you curved against the rest of your section? no comprendo

Depends on the curve. I've had classes with both of these types of curves (numbers are percentiles):

1. 20 A / 20 A- / 20 B+ / 20 B / 20 B-
2. 5 A / 15 A- / 60 B+ / 15 B / 5 B-

It's a whole lot easier to make Law Review if you have a lot of classes with curves like #1 than it is to have a lot of classes with curves like #2.

Not only did H have about 5 courses with other sections--in which case as many as 12 or 18 people could have gotten A's under curve #1 (and 12 or 18 A/A- under curve #2)--they also had 1 or 2 courses with upper classmen. Assuming that at least some people wrote on, that the curves tended to provide for a good number of A/A-'s, that the same group of students dominated each class, and that Section H generally performed better than the sections they had class with, it's entirely possible.

what teachers were part of section H?

Section H (2009-10):
Contracts (D, H, L)- George Geis
CrimLaw (F, H, J)- Darryl Brown
Torts (H)- Jeffrey O'Connell
CivPro (F, G, H)- Michael Collins
ConLaw (B, H)- Fred Schauer
Property (H, J)- Margo Bagley
LRW- Sarah Stewart

(gladiator posted this information last year)

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:51 pm

showNprove wrote:
howcani111 wrote:
showNprove wrote:
jnorsky wrote:If there are 30 people in a section, and only like 3 people get A's on each exam, how can 9 people make LR from a section? Arent you curved against the rest of your section? no comprendo

Depends on the curve. I've had classes with both of these types of curves (numbers are percentiles):

1. 20 A / 20 A- / 20 B+ / 20 B / 20 B-
2. 5 A / 15 A- / 60 B+ / 15 B / 5 B-

It's a whole lot easier to make Law Review if you have a lot of classes with curves like #1 than it is to have a lot of classes with curves like #2.

Not only did H have about 5 courses with other sections--in which case as many as 12 or 18 people could have gotten A's under curve #1 (and 12 or 18 A/A- under curve #2)--they also had 1 or 2 courses with upper classmen. Assuming that at least some people wrote on, that the curves tended to provide for a good number of A/A-'s, that the same group of students dominated each class, and that Section H generally performed better than the sections they had class with, it's entirely possible.

what teachers were part of section H?

Section H (2009-10):
Contracts (D, H, L)- George Geis
CrimLaw (F, H, J)- Darryl Brown
Torts (H)- Jeffrey O'Connell
CivPro (F, G, H)- Michael Collins
ConLaw (B, H)- Fred Schauer
Property (H, J)- Margo Bagley
LRW- Sarah Stewart

(gladiator posted this information last year)
gg. Section J and two classes with H. That's fair.

Actually, I was pretty happy with how I did in those classes. Apparently my performance is a correlate of the effort of my classmates.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:17 pm

On average, Section A had the lowest percentage of LR students in their required courses at approximately 6.2%. Section H had the most, with 19.5% of the students in their classes on LR.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:24 pm

The question with section H is how many were write-on versus grade-on. It is entirely possible that H had a very large percentage of write-on persons.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:02 pm

It's also entirely possible that H was bottom-heavy, and that this benefited everyone else in the section. (This depends, as vamedic said, on how many graded on as opposed to writing on.) For example, if the Dodgers had the best record in baseball, it could be because they are the best team. It could also be because they play nearly half of their games against the rest of the NL West and the other four teams in the division suck.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:41 pm

We sincerely appreciate your interest in ___ and regret that, as a consequence of the size of our 1L program, we were not able to consider you for a 2010 Summer Associate position. However, as you may know, our 2L Summer Associate Program is substantially larger, and we hope that you will apply with us again this fall. Our attorneys will be at University of Virginia School of Law for on-campus interviews on 8/23/2010. We look forward to visiting with you then
An opportunity to be rejected twice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khMpnsPPFeg

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:45 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:It's also entirely possible that H was bottom-heavy, and that this benefited everyone else in the section. (This depends, as vamedic said, on how many graded on as opposed to writing on.) For example, if the Dodgers had the best record in baseball, it could be because they are the best team. It could also be because they play nearly half of their games against the rest of the NL West and the other four teams in the division suck.

This theory would work if the Dodgers weren't 2 games out of first place.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

showNprove wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:It's also entirely possible that H was bottom-heavy, and that this benefited everyone else in the section. (This depends, as vamedic said, on how many graded on as opposed to writing on.) For example, if the Dodgers had the best record in baseball, it could be because they are the best team. It could also be because they play nearly half of their games against the rest of the NL West and the other four teams in the division suck.

This theory would work if the Dodgers weren't 2 games out of first place.
Oh, stop. It was an example. A dude can dream, can't he?

omg

Postby omg » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 pm

They haven't said what the law review GPA cut-off was yet, have they?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:22 pm

omg wrote:They haven't said what the law review GPA cut-off was yet, have they?

Not that I know of.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:55 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:02 am

D Brooks wrote:For the love of god, can I (and if so how) change my SIS password?

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:For the love of god, can I (and if so how) change my SIS password?

i believe, through my adventures on SIS, this can be done once you're a current student and have done some sort of in-person identity verification. but probably not even then

jnorsky

Postby jnorsky » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:23 am

dgouzoul wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:

i believe, through my adventures on SIS, this can be done once you're a current student and have done some sort of in-person identity verification. but probably not even then

you guys got passwords? I use temporary ones every time i log onto SIS

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:46 am

jnorsky wrote:
dgouzoul wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:

you guys got passwords? I use temporary ones every time i log onto SIS

You can use the same temporary password over and over again without having to change it every time you use SIS. I'm wondering though how/at what point we can change that password to something of our own choosing rather than the randomly-generated temporary one.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:04 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:You can use the same temporary password over and over again without having to change it every time you use SIS. I'm wondering though how/at what point we can change that password to something of our own choosing rather than the randomly-generated temporary one.

Last year we were given access to that around orientation time; I think it had something to do with when we picked up our student ID badges. I don't quite remember now.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:18 am

vanwinkle wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:You can use the same temporary password over and over again without having to change it every time you use SIS. I'm wondering though how/at what point we can change that password to something of our own choosing rather than the randomly-generated temporary one.

Last year we were given access to that around orientation time; I think it had something to do with when we picked up our student ID badges. I don't quite remember now.
Whaddya know? We do need some stinking badges.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:08 pm

This has probably been asked before, but for those of you who used supplements during 1L, what were some of the better ones?

I've read through some of the threads on this, I'm just curious is some are better/worse for UVA specifically.

/gunning

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:11 pm

oneforship wrote:This has probably been asked before, but for those of you who used supplements during 1L, what were some of the better ones?

I've read through some of the threads on this, I'm just curious is some are better/worse for UVA specifically.

/gunning

It depends.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Do many Texas firms come to your OCI? Do you know how UVA typically fairs in placing grads in the Texas legal market?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:15 pm

Cavalier wrote:
oneforship wrote:This has probably been asked before, but for those of you who used supplements during 1L, what were some of the better ones?

/gunning

It depends.

Pretty much what I thought.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:29 pm

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:27 pm

/gunning

A good fellow I met at the ASW told me to buy Glannon's Guide to Civil Procedure. I followed his recommendation and take him at his word that it should be useful.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:33 pm

billyez wrote:

/gunning

A good fellow I met at the ASW told me to buy Glannon's Guide to Civil Procedure. I followed his recommendation and take him at his word that it should be useful.

Civ Pro is possibly the only fall subject where there's a universally popular supplement, and that'd be Glannon. However, there's argument over whether the Glannon Guide or the Glannon E&E is better. I personally preferred the Glannon Guide.

A rather common supplement for Crim Law is Low's commercial outline, because Low co-authored the textbook which most sections use and his outline tracks the textbook (sort of). But not all sections will use this textbook for sure, so that's also something folks should hold off getting.

In the spring you'll all buy Chemerinsky's Con Law treatise and love it. But that's a long, long time from now.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:27 am

If you have Collins for CivPro, save your money on Glannon/E&E. He'll teach you the material well enough and his own practice material is way more helpful than anything written by Glannon.

I also thought that the Chemerinsky was only marginally helpful if you have Schauer for ConLaw.

The general rule is the better the professor, the less you need a supplement to teach you the class. Don't waste valuable time reading things you already know.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”