UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rhododactylos

New

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by rhododactylos » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:44 am

Mrs Featherbottom wrote:Any of y'all have opinions about section D's lineup?

Torts- Strauss
Contracts- Nachbar
Civ Procedure- Nelson
Crim Law- Ferzan
LRW- Buck
Nelson is one of the smartest and kindest people you will ever meet. His class will move extremely quickly so be prepared to take furious notes. He will also memorize everyone's names by the end of the first day.

Agree with the above on Ferzan. She's very talented and keeps class interesting although she can get a bit indulgent with her overuse of examples. Don't be afraid to raise your hand and slow her down if her examples are moving too quickly.

To the 1L above who has Mitchell, you are in for a blast! He's a very effective teacher and the closest thing the faculty has to a stand-up comic. Also extremely accessible outside of class, even by UVA's standards.

ohthatjenn

New

Post by ohthatjenn » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:28 pm

Library Question.. I see that the reference desk and special collections are closed on weekends. Do we still have access to reserves on weekends?

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:27 am

ohthatjenn wrote:Library Question.. I see that the reference desk and special collections are closed on weekends. Do we still have access to reserves on weekends?
Not sure if we can check books out without the library staff but you can certainly get into the reserve room and use the materials whenever the library is open.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:05 am

rhododactylos wrote:
Mrs Featherbottom wrote:Any of y'all have opinions about section D's lineup?

Torts- Strauss
Contracts- Nachbar
Civ Procedure- Nelson
Crim Law- Ferzan
LRW- Buck
Nelson is one of the smartest and kindest people you will ever meet. His class will move extremely quickly so be prepared to take furious notes. He will also memorize everyone's names by the end of beforethe first day.
FTFY. I’ll echo that Nelson is fantastic and probably one of the smartest people you’ll ever meet. Don’t skip his class and don’t fall behind. He records all his lectures but unlike other profs’ lectures which you might listen to on double speed, his recordings are great for slowing things down. If I missed something in class I would jot down in my notes how many minutes it was since the start of class to make it easier to find in the recording later. If you’re a handwritten notetaker, you’ll want a laptop for his class.

I had Nachbar for Antitrust - really organized and some terrible jokes (the kind that are so terrible they’re funny). He has a pretty heavy B+ curve for Antitrust but don’t know how he is for Ks.

Also I realize those comments are super late but I’ve been away from TLS for a while.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:00 am

Are there any good 1 bedroom, fully furnished apartments near campus?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:46 pm

SweetTort wrote:Are there any good 1 bedroom, fully furnished apartments near campus?
The pavilion, Jeffersonian, and Copley all have furnished 1 bedrooms. The Pav is the most expensive, Copley is university owned and probably the least popular choice, and Jeffersonian fills up quick.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:48 pm

smile0751 wrote:
SweetTort wrote:Are there any good 1 bedroom, fully furnished apartments near campus?
The pavilion, Jeffersonian, and Copley all have furnished 1 bedrooms. The Pav is the most expensive, Copley is university owned and probably the least popular choice, and Jeffersonian fills up quick.

Jeffersonian is the one with no toilets or AC, right?

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:50 pm

SweetTort wrote:
smile0751 wrote:

No? Can confirm they have both toilets and AC. I think Copley may not have AC or is getting AC? I don't live there so I can't say for sure.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:39 pm

smile0751 wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
smile0751 wrote:

No? Can confirm they have both toilets and AC. I think Copley may not have AC or is getting AC? I don't live there so I can't say for sure.

Gotcha. Must have confused it with some other place.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:27 pm

you're thinking of something for UVA undergrads right on the lawn. not something to worry about for law student housing

Varrus

New

Post by Varrus » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:42 pm

Looks like Order of the Coif notifications have gone out for c/o 2016. Anyone have any information on what the GPA cutoff was this year? Thanks.

Mia93

New

Post by Mia93 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Can anyone comment on how difficult it would be to find a place to sublease this summer?

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:49 pm

5ky wrote:you're thinking of something for UVA undergrads right on the lawn. not something to worry about for law student housing
(S)he's thinking of The Range, which is graduate student housing on main grounds just off the lawn. Usually one or two law students live there a year. Jeffersonian is a 5 minute walk from the law school, and while not luxury housing, certainly has all the basic amenities at a very good price.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Mia93 wrote:Can anyone comment on how difficult it would be to find a place to sublease this summer?
It shouldn't be too hard, since the vast majority of 1L's and nearly all 2L's leave Charlottesville for their summer jobs, not to mention thousands of other UVA students. Airbnb and Craigslist would both be good places to start, or if you're a current student, you can ask on the law school facebook group.

a22747568

New

Post by a22747568 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:46 am

I would like to ask how can i do and structure my answers, the topic of this question is about contract law.
I am looking for some guidelines but not a full answer.
It's highly appreciated if u guys could help me a bit . :)

Question:
Tom and Peter are friends. On 11 May 2013, Peter wrote an email to Tom, “I heard that you are selling your car for $9000. I am interested in buying it, let me know if it is still available.” On 12 May 2013, Tom called Peter and left a voicemail for him - “Sure, provided you transfer the money to my bank account”. Tom then changed his mind and he posted a letter to Peter which read, “I am sorry, but I changed my mind and I can’t sell the car to you”. This letter arrived on 13 May 2013, before Peter checked his voicemail.

Answer the following questions:

1) Advise Tom and Peter as to their rights and obligations.

2) What difference, if any, would it make if:

a) Tom’s letter had never arrived?

b) Due to a problem with the mobile network on Peter’s phone, the voicemail left by Tom on 12 May 2013 was not recorded and Peter had no knowledge of the voicemail.

c) Instead of Peter sending an e-mail to Tom on 11 May 2013, on 10 May 2013, Tom had asked Peter if he wanted to buy his car?

Meno

New

Post by Meno » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:28 am

Does anyone have suggestions for finding a rental house/duplex in Charlottesville? Will be moving next fall with my wife and our dog, so having a backyard would make our lives significantly easier than an apartment but not sure what to expect as far as options.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:08 am

Meno wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for finding a rental house/duplex in Charlottesville? Will be moving next fall with my wife and our dog, so having a backyard would make our lives significantly easier than an apartment but not sure what to expect as far as options.
My husband and I checked Craigslist and Zillow every day for weeks until we found our duplex. In the end, we sort of lucked out because another 1L had bought a duplex and was renting the other half. Start looking early (April-ish, depending on when you want to move) because the rental market is tight here for decent duplexes or townhomes for a good price.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Meno wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for finding a rental house/duplex in Charlottesville? Will be moving next fall with my wife and our dog, so having a backyard would make our lives significantly easier than an apartment but not sure what to expect as far as options.
Arlington place (right across from pavillion) allows dogs and has fenced in back yards. Walking distance to school and the management has been great. Houses are 2 bedroom 1 bath. Contact woodard properties and see if they have a waitlist or something if youre interested, i signed a lease pretty early last year. Places close to the school go pretty quickly.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:46 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
Arlington place (right across from pavillion) allows dogs and has fenced in back yards. Walking distance to school and the management has been great. Houses are 2 bedroom 1 bath. Contact woodard properties and see if they have a waitlist or something if youre interested, i signed a lease pretty early last year. Places close to the school go pretty quickly.
they're a bit dated but +1, they are great for living and dogs. super convenient to everything too

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:47 am

5ky wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
they're a bit dated but +1, they are great for living and dogs. super convenient to everything too
Yeah my bathroom looks like it was the new hotness in '84. But other than that the places are unbeatable for people with dogs IMO, but walking distance and a fenced in yard were a must for me so YMMV.

kozik

New

Post by kozik » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Professor Kordana's Corporations lectures records? Does anyone have them and is willing to share?

Hi, UVA law students, nice to meet you, I am LLM'2012 graduate and I desperately need audiorecords of Mr. Cordana's Corporation class . I am fine with paying for it or if there is an official way to get the records via the school, that would be awesome if you help me out. Thank you.

To all applicants considering UVA Law, here is my piece of advice: it is a great school, wonderful experience and excellent choice)))

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:24 pm

kozik wrote:Professor Kordana's Corporations lectures records? Does anyone have them and is willing to share?

Hi, UVA law students, nice to meet you, I am LLM'2012 graduate and I desperately need audiorecords of Mr. Cordana's Corporation class . I am fine with paying for it or if there is an official way to get the records via the school, that would be awesome if you help me out. Thank you.

To all applicants considering UVA Law, here is my piece of advice: it is a great school, wonderful experience and excellent choice)))
If there's an official way to get it, I'm sure calling the school would help point you in the right direction.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:34 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
My husband and I checked Craigslist and Zillow every day for weeks until we found our duplex. In the end, we sort of lucked out because another 1L had bought a duplex and was renting the other half. Start looking early (April-ish, depending on when you want to move) because the rental market is tight here for decent duplexes or townhomes for a good price.
North Woods at the Four Seasons is about ten minutes away by car, with bus service to Barracks Road and was pet friendly. No backyard, but green space you can walk and a small dog run.

We also had luck with a private rental. Hasbrouk manage a lot of such stuff: http://hasbrouckrealty.com/vacancies/

Also check out the blue ridge apartment council: https://www.brac.com/

if your dog is small, don't be afraid to ask private landlords. Sometimes they'll change their mind - especially if you can supply a decent reference from your current landlord. That also worked for us.

sj0101

New

Post by sj0101 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:47 pm

sj0101

New

Post by sj0101 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:48 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”