UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
logicgames wrote:0L here, joining the law school next month. I'm trying to budget for the next year or so; does anyone know how easy it is to get a grant for summer after 1L?


At ASW they said everyone who gets a non-paying job is covered by the grant now.
Unless it's a judge, then you can't take grant money or compensation.

HaveMercy
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby HaveMercy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:01 pm

.
Last edited by HaveMercy on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TasmanianToucan
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby TasmanianToucan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:54 am

Nagster5 wrote:
logicgames wrote:0L here, joining the law school next month. I'm trying to budget for the next year or so; does anyone know how easy it is to get a grant for summer after 1L?


At ASW they said everyone who gets a non-paying job is covered by the grant now.

This is almost true. In addition to being non-paying, the job has to be for the "public interest" and must require a 400 hour commitment. Also, 1Ls must do 40 pro bono hours during the school year by the end of spring break to be eligible.

User avatar
monsterman
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby monsterman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:25 pm

How is J. Harrison's Conflict of Laws class? Can't seem to find a review of that on LawWeb. How is he generally as a professor?

catahoula
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby catahoula » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:04 pm

monsterman wrote:How is J. Harrison's Conflict of Laws class? Can't seem to find a review of that on LawWeb. How is he generally as a professor?


I'm just gonna say this because I would want someone to do the same for me...
DON'T do it.

User avatar
monsterman
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby monsterman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:11 am

catahoula wrote:
monsterman wrote:How is J. Harrison's Conflict of Laws class? Can't seem to find a review of that on LawWeb. How is he generally as a professor?


I'm just gonna say this because I would want someone to do the same for me...
DON'T do it.


Haha I didn't end up signing up. Good to know it was the right call

ymmv88
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:13 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby ymmv88 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:06 pm

monsterman wrote:
catahoula wrote:
monsterman wrote:How is J. Harrison's Conflict of Laws class? Can't seem to find a review of that on LawWeb. How is he generally as a professor?


I'm just gonna say this because I would want someone to do the same for me...
DON'T do it.


Haha I didn't end up signing up. Good to know it was the right call


I didn't take that specific class while at UVA but do want to express that Harrison was one of my favorite professors (I had him for Remedies). Definitely quirky but honestly he knows his stuff back to front and is a great dude, to the point that I would take any class he taught. As a disclaimer, I do know that whatever 1L class he had while I was there (criminal law i think) was not remembered fondly by the section that had him.

Also, he drinks a lot of orange juice.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6344
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:41 pm

some people really love harrison. i didn't like him but i can see the appeal for a certain kind of person.

User avatar
cornerstone
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby cornerstone » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:40 am

5ky wrote:some people really love harrison. i didn't like him but i can see the appeal for a certain kind of person.


This. You either love him or you hate him. I know a good number of people hated his narrow 1L curve, but I think it's wider for upper level courses though. I'd recommend him if only for the experience.

I also think people ding him unfairly for being unclear. He's super straightforward if you can pay attention. If you zone out during his tangents, that's on you for missing the golden nugget buried in the middle. It's true that he sometimes leaves it to the class to draw their own conclusions or connect the dots, but if you get frustrated having to do that yourself then why are you in law school? I think that Harrison, more so than any other professors from whom I've taken a course, has taught me how to think like a lawyer.

catahoula
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby catahoula » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:46 am

Sorry, I should probably qualify since I did know one or two people in my section who liked Harrison. I should say - don't do it unless you're a real risk-taker because based on my admittedly small sample size, >90% harbored negative feelings ranging from mild dislike to passionate hatred. :lol:

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:50 am

I liked Harrison when he was actually teaching torts, and I appreciated that his course and exam were so straightforward. His orange juice drinking and tangents were quirky and endearing in their own way too.

But the tangents really can run on, and his agoraphobia can get in the way (a friend once saw him in the hall waiting to get into the still-occupied classroom before class and asked if she could ask him a question. He said "no" and then continued standing waiting in the hall, orange juice in hand).

User avatar
rhododactylos
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby rhododactylos » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Absolutely loved Harrison but I recognize that I was in the minority in my class. He is surprisingly clear if you actually listen to him, his tangents keep things entertaining, and he is widely recognized as the smartest person at UVA. I admit that his style is not for everyone but I recommend that everyone take him once just for the quintessential law school experience that is a Harrison cold call.

logicgames
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:47 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby logicgames » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:47 am

Anybody have any recommendations for cville haircut places for men?

User avatar
North
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:59 am

logicgames wrote:Anybody have any recommendations for cville haircut places for men?

The barbershop in Barracks is pretty reasonably priced, good, and close by. Hair Cuttery (also in Barracks) is good too but that ran me $25 I think.

User avatar
HoosOnFirst
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby HoosOnFirst » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:01 pm

logicgames wrote:Anybody have any recommendations for cville haircut places for men?


Errybody loves Chung's

https://www.yelp.com/biz/chungs-barber- ... ottesville

whats an updog
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby whats an updog » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:35 am

Chungs is the place for men. You just gotta find the person who does it right and you can make appointments with them. The pony tail guy and Alan are good if you're going trendier. Old dudes and traditionalists tend to like the guy toward the seating who always wears oversized button ups. No one likes the women and the manager towards the register does fairly quick standard cuts.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Harrison = 180.

Wahoo19
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Wahoo19 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Hey! I wanted to know any, and all, insights into my professors. In section B.

Torts/Kendrick
Contracts/Setear
Civil Procedure/Mitchell
Criminal Law/Bonnie
LRW/Ware

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Wahoo19 wrote:Hey! I wanted to know any, and all, insights into my professors. In section B.

Torts/Kendrick
Contracts/Setear
Civil Procedure/Mitchell
Criminal Law/Bonnie
LRW/Ware

Thanks in advance!

Kendrick rules. Mitchell is amazing. Setear is fucking nuts but in a fun way. Don't know Bonnie or Ware.

User avatar
smile0751
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby smile0751 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:45 pm

First Offense wrote:
Wahoo19 wrote:Hey! I wanted to know any, and all, insights into my professors. In section B.

Torts/Kendrick
Contracts/Setear
Civil Procedure/Mitchell
Criminal Law/Bonnie
LRW/Ware

Thanks in advance!

Kendrick rules. Mitchell is amazing. Setear is fucking nuts but in a fun way. Don't know Bonnie or Ware.


Setear is fucking nuts. Try to just enjoy the ride. Ware is the best LRW professor in my opinion. She is super helpful and has good guidance. Bonnie is old and like the leader in the field of crim law. Some people didn't like him.

Wahoo19
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Wahoo19 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:24 pm

smile0751 wrote:
First Offense wrote:
Wahoo19 wrote:Hey! I wanted to know any, and all, insights into my professors. In section B.

Torts/Kendrick
Contracts/Setear
Civil Procedure/Mitchell
Criminal Law/Bonnie
LRW/Ware

Thanks in advance!

Kendrick rules. Mitchell is amazing. Setear is fucking nuts but in a fun way. Don't know Bonnie or Ware.


Setear is fucking nuts. Try to just enjoy the ride. Ware is the best LRW professor in my opinion. She is super helpful and has good guidance. Bonnie is old and like the leader in the field of crim law. Some people didn't like him.


I appreciate it. So it seems like I have a good set of professors overall, once I adjust to Setear.

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:49 pm

Mitchell and Setear are like two sides of a coin. Setear is random and will go on some bizarre fucking tangents at times. Mitchell is funny as shit but generally he is just making a boring subject more enjoyable.

User avatar
Mrs Featherbottom
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Mrs Featherbottom » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:45 pm

Any of y'all have opinions about section D's lineup?

Torts- Strauss
Contracts- Nachbar
Civ Procedure- Nelson
Crim Law- Ferzan
LRW- Buck

User avatar
andthenIwaslike
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:39 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby andthenIwaslike » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Mrs Featherbottom wrote:Any of y'all have opinions about section D's lineup?

Torts- Strauss
Contracts- Nachbar
Civ Procedure- Nelson
Crim Law- Ferzan
LRW- Buck


Ferzan is a rock star, you'll love her. Buck is really sweet, and I think gives Ware a run for her money for best LRW prof. Don't know the others.

User avatar
cornerstone
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby cornerstone » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:00 am

andthenIwaslike wrote:
Mrs Featherbottom wrote:Any of y'all have opinions about section D's lineup?

Torts- Strauss
Contracts- Nachbar
Civ Procedure- Nelson
Crim Law- Ferzan
LRW- Buck


Ferzan is a rock star, you'll love her. Buck is really sweet, and I think gives Ware a run for her money for best LRW prof. Don't know the others.


Nelson is tough but fair. Lots of material but he's very clear with everything. Take good notes.

Most people love Ferzan. Had her for evidence, and I felt differently, mostly because I don't learn well through excessive usage of examples (I prefer talking about the rule instead). Keep on top of things during semester (read: make sure you understand everything she does in class) and you should feel good going into the final.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 2 guests