UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
An0n

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby An0n » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:53 pm

5ky wrote:Email after graduation. Can be as late as September

Thanks. From UVA or from the national office? Also, anyone want to guess what the cut off would be? The leaked grades have 10% at 3.717 after 4 (I think) semesters on the current curve.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:11 pm

5ky wrote:you're making me second guess myself, but i'm pretty sure yeah. it came in a cardboard tube, it definitely wasn't mailed to me

Ours were definitely handed to us. Seems really strange that they'd mail them since folk are moving all over the place right after graduation. Sounds like that's just asking for your diploma to end up being delivered to an old address a couple of days after you move state.

As was mentioned, the diploma is big - 17" x 22"

http://www.virginia.edu/registrar/diploma.html

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:29 am

diplomas are stupid big, hate them

my guess is three seven three two. do i believe that or am i trolling an extremely narrow subset of 3.5Ls? who knows!

where you are for three years is a legitimate if intangible/subjective consideration. assuming you've done your homework on where on the scholly/employment value curve you're comfortable spending as an initial threshold question, i'm inclined to think it's the best subjective factor to weigh against the objective ones because it's the most likely to randomly pay off down the road in tangible ways (network, whatever)

lots of stuff to do in cville just get into town early smile a lot and go find it. the one thing i would say is there's a strong correlation between people who ended up hating it and people who never had a car/reliably got out of the law school area. the whatever block radius from ivy apartments to barracks might as well be in NoVa or some other soulless exurb, get out of there early and often. the barracks chipotle gets a pass though shout out to chipotle

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:39 pm

Degree conferrals are up for anyone else waiting on final transcripts (or at least mine is up).

North

Postby North » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:42 pm

Yardbird wrote:Degree conferrals are up for anyone else waiting on final transcripts (or at least mine is up).

Yup, they're up.

I wish, for no reason in particular, that they threw the 3L grades on a page 2 instead of up top in a second column right next to the degree conferral.

ffdc

Postby ffdc » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:12 am

Any guess about VLR's gpa cutoff this year?

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:36 am

0L, applying at UVA this Fall:

how're the gyms there? Is there a place nearby to lift weights that opens early?

HoosOnFirst

Postby HoosOnFirst » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:38 am

SweetTort wrote:0L, applying at UVA this Fall:

how're the gyms there? Is there a place nearby to lift weights that opens early?

http://recsports.virginia.edu/?q=north- ... ion-center

There's also the AFC and Memorial Gym if you're closer to regular grounds

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:42 am

HoosOnFirst wrote:

Holy crap that facility looks awesome! I remember it being right next to the school when I was at ASW, but I didn't get to see the inside.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:42 am

HoosOnFirst wrote:

Which do you prefer/how is it?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:15 am

North Grounds is perfectly fine, I never felt the need to go to one of the other gyms. It's small, but it's not heavily used by any undergrads

HoosOnFirst

Postby HoosOnFirst » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:05 pm

SweetTort wrote:
HoosOnFirst wrote:

NGRC is the newest and the closest to North Grounds, so it's probably the one you'll use the most and it has everything you need. AFC has a bigger pool I believe, and a whirlpool with a basketball hoop (who could pass that up?). It's also packed like sardines if you go at popular times (ie: right before or after dinner). Mem Gym is the oldest, but not many people are there which is nice. It's also got a great training room with various punching bags, which I'm a huge fan of. All of them are nice and will get the job done. If you care to stray from NGRC, then I'm sure you'll find stuff you like/dislike about each one depending on your preferences.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:24 pm

HoosOnFirst wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
HoosOnFirst wrote:

NGRC is the newest and the closest to North Grounds, so it's probably the one you'll use the most and it has everything you need. AFC has a bigger pool I believe, and a whirlpool with a basketball hoop (who could pass that up?). It's also packed like sardines if you go at popular times (ie: right before or after dinner). Mem Gym is the oldest, but not many people are there which is nice. It's also got a great training room with various punching bags, which I'm a huge fan of. All of them are nice and will get the job done. If you care to stray from NGRC, then I'm sure you'll find stuff you like/dislike about each one depending on your preferences.

Sounds dope as hell. Sincerely hoping UVA makes it financially possible to attend, because everything about the school seems chill.

sj0101

Postby sj0101 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:38 am

sj0101

Postby sj0101 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:39 am

abcxyz13

Postby abcxyz13 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:20 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have any information they can share about Albert Choi? He's teaching next semester at my school and I am thinking about taking his class but really know nothing about him. Anything you can share about him as a teacher, class organization, etc. would be great!!

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:00 am

^I had Choi for M&A. Nice guy and good professor. If you're interested in whatever he's teaching it's probably worth giving it a shot.

thebrownnote

Postby thebrownnote » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:00 pm

Has anyone considered or requested a deferment for a year? I was just offered an interesting and "prestigious" job that I'd love to do since it's in the field I'd like to practice in after school. But I don't have it in me to do application gauntlet again, especially since my LSAT and GPA aren't going to get any better.

What's the latest you can request to defer for a year? Could I request it in July? And do you think the fact that I got off the waitlist (in April) will make me ineligible to defer?

Thanks!

GreekOmega12

Postby GreekOmega12 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:04 pm

thebrownnote wrote:Has anyone considered or requested a deferment for a year? I was just offered an interesting and "prestigious" job that I'd love to do since it's in the field I'd like to practice in after school. But I don't have it in me to do application gauntlet again, especially since my LSAT and GPA aren't going to get any better.

What's the latest you can request to defer for a year? Could I request it in July? And do you think the fact that I got off the waitlist (in April) will make me ineligible to defer?

Thanks!

I was under the impression that people who were accepted off of the waitlist could not defer admission. I could be wrong though.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:27 am

Go ahead and ask. Worse thing they'll say is no.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that part of the waitlist agreement is that you can't defer, but you should definitely ask. I remember being an applicant and worrying that things like that could somehow look bad or whatever, trust me, they really don't care.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:42 am

So, UVA is by far my first choice, and I'm really hoping for a scholarship. My GPA is a 4.2X, and my PT's have been 173+ recently, so I think I may be competitive.

Here's my question. How can you signal to UVA that they're your top choice without doing something tacky? Like, I'm writing a Why UVA, and I'm thinking about visiting in October and trying to sit down with someone from admissions. Is there anything else to do to signal interest?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:39 pm

SweetTort wrote:So, UVA is by far my first choice, and I'm really hoping for a scholarship. My GPA is a 4.2X, and my PT's have been 173+ recently, so I think I may be competitive.

Here's my question. How can you signal to UVA that they're your top choice without doing something tacky? Like, I'm writing a Why UVA, and I'm thinking about visiting in October and trying to sit down with someone from admissions. Is there anything else to do to signal interest?

No, do both of those things and it will be more than enough

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:22 pm

Br3v wrote:
SweetTort wrote:So, UVA is by far my first choice, and I'm really hoping for a scholarship. My GPA is a 4.2X, and my PT's have been 173+ recently, so I think I may be competitive.

No, do both of those things and it will be more than enough

Ok, so it's not weird to email admissions like "Hello, I'm applicant X. My LSAC number is A, GPA is B, LSAT is C. I've recently applied to UVA, and I will be touring on Date. Is there any possible way I could sit down with someone from your office to discuss life on campus? Thanks!"

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Ok, so it's not weird to email admissions like "Hello, I'm applicant X. My LSAC number is A, GPA is B, LSAT is C. I've recently applied to UVA, and I will be touring on Date. Is there any possible way I could sit down with someone from your office to discuss life on campus? Thanks!"

Don't include your GPA/LSAT in your e-mail. It doesn't hit the tone you want. I'm assuming you're hoping for a full scholarship, which I'd imagine you'd get as long as your LSAT hits the mark and your application looks decent. If that's the case, you just want to make it clear to them that UVA is your top choice and you're really excited about the possibility of coming here. Admissions isn't dumb, they'll know you mean "I'd really like to come here, but without a scholarship, I couldn't turn down the other schools I'll get in at".

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”