UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
andthenIwaslike

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby andthenIwaslike » Fri May 13, 2016 2:32 pm

gracias

rhododactylos

Postby rhododactylos » Sat May 14, 2016 9:41 pm

They manage to be just as slow in the spring as in the fall despite not having Christmas and New Year's fall in the middle of the grading period. Expect grades the week of the deadline, and don't be surprised if some come after it.

Some professors are faster graders than others--from experience, Ferzan and Mitchell are fast. Hylton is very slow.

thebrownnote

Postby thebrownnote » Sun May 22, 2016 3:30 pm

Is use of the North Grounds Rec Center included in tuition/mandatory fees? And is it a good/decent place to work out?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun May 22, 2016 3:32 pm

thebrownnote wrote:Is use of the North Grounds Rec Center included in tuition/mandatory fees? And is it a good/decent place to work out?

yes (but not for the summer). yes, it's more than acceptable. it's very convenient as well

thebrownnote

Postby thebrownnote » Sun May 22, 2016 3:36 pm

5ky wrote:
thebrownnote wrote:Is use of the North Grounds Rec Center included in tuition/mandatory fees? And is it a good/decent place to work out?

yes (but not for the summer). yes, it's more than acceptable. it's very convenient as well

Excellent, thank you!

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun May 22, 2016 6:14 pm

How was Will Shorts? I was jealous 2016 got him for commencement, he was on 2015's list but we went with the NFL guy (who was good, but not in the same league as Will Shorts, one of America's preeminent nerds).

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun May 22, 2016 10:57 pm

anon sequitur wrote:How was Will Shorts? I was jealous 2016 got him for commencement, he was on 2015's list but we went with the NFL guy (who was good, but not in the same league as Will Shorts, one of America's preeminent nerds).

He was funny, made anagrams of a few of the speaker's names and gave us trivia questions with multiple choice options about Jefferson lol.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue May 24, 2016 12:35 pm

rhododactylos wrote:They manage to be just as slow in the spring as in the fall despite not having Christmas and New Year's fall in the middle of the grading period. Expect grades the week of the deadline, and don't be surprised if some come after it.

Some professors are faster graders than others--from experience, Ferzan and Mitchell are fast. Hylton is very slow.

Did anyone have Doran? We had him as a visiting professor for a 2 or 3 section property class and grades were on lawweb in 3-4 days. That should be the standard to beat.

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Tue May 24, 2016 2:20 pm

Yup, they were up that fast this time around too. Doran's a gem.

thebrownnote

Postby thebrownnote » Wed May 25, 2016 9:25 am

So what's the deal with the rules regarding the dead period 1st semester before you can talk to career services? Is it kosher to email them a couple questions now, before I start?

I'm not really a gunner, I swear guys... Just a (relatively) old guy who knows what he wants to do.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed May 25, 2016 10:54 am

albanach wrote:
rhododactylos wrote:They manage to be just as slow in the spring as in the fall despite not having Christmas and New Year's fall in the middle of the grading period. Expect grades the week of the deadline, and don't be surprised if some come after it.

Did anyone have Doran? We had him as a visiting professor for a 2 or 3 section property class and grades were on lawweb in 3-4 days. That should be the standard to beat.

Him and Mitchell were always the fastest turnaround times for me.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed May 25, 2016 11:02 am

thebrownnote wrote:So what's the deal with the rules regarding the dead period 1st semester before you can talk to career services? Is it kosher to email them a couple questions now, before I start?

I'm not really a gunner, I swear guys... Just a (relatively) old guy who knows what he wants to do.

According to them, the no appointment period is to ensure that 1Ls are focusing on school for the first couple of months. I suspect that it has more to do with all of their attention needing to go the 2Ls going through the OGI and callback process.

Believe me when I say you will have plenty of time to talk to them when the period is over, and they are extremely responsive and efficient. If I were you I would enjoy my summer before 1L and leave your questions for the appropriate time.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed May 25, 2016 11:24 am

thebrownnote wrote:So what's the deal with the rules regarding the dead period 1st semester before you can talk to career services? Is it kosher to email them a couple questions now, before I start?

I don't know their rule - they won't be offended. If they can't answer they'll let you know.

Probably the most useful thing you can do is have your resume ready before you start. Get that shit tip-top. 1L Job search starts right around the time you should be busting ass for exams, so getting that done early (and maybe having a rough cover letter saved that you can change as necessary) will make your life one million times easier.

thebrownnote

Postby thebrownnote » Wed May 25, 2016 1:00 pm

First Offense wrote:Probably the most useful thing you can do is have your resume ready before you start. Get that shit tip-top. 1L Job search starts right around the time you should be busting ass for exams, so getting that done early (and maybe having a rough cover letter saved that you can change as necessary) will make your life one million times easier.

Okay, thanks for the advice! I already have a resume that I think is pretty good, but I've gathered that a legal resume should be somehow different from a normal, "regular job" resume. Are there any good resources out there adapting a resume for the legal profession?

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed May 25, 2016 1:07 pm

thebrownnote wrote:
First Offense wrote:Probably the most useful thing you can do is have your resume ready before you start. Get that shit tip-top. 1L Job search starts right around the time you should be busting ass for exams, so getting that done early (and maybe having a rough cover letter saved that you can change as necessary) will make your life one million times easier.

Okay, thanks for the advice! I already have a resume that I think is pretty good, but I've gathered that a legal resume should be somehow different from a normal, "regular job" resume. Are there any good resources out there adapting a resume for the legal profession?

Honestly it's not much different - if at all, especially as a 1L without legal experience. Just make sure it is crafted well.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed May 25, 2016 1:30 pm

thebrownnote wrote:

Honestly, they really will help you out with this in the fall.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed May 25, 2016 7:20 pm

get it down to one page if it's not already

if you're gonna be a butthead and have a multi page resume, pay the butthead tax of making a one page version "that you won't use" "so you can see what it looks like"

i'm a fairly recent grad but from my small sample size the correlation between older applicants and using multiple pages is real and you either shouldn't do it or should at the very least put yourself in a position where a later decision to cut it down doesn't cost you editing time during finals season

cornerstone

Postby cornerstone » Sat May 28, 2016 10:10 am

Perhaps a TLSer could help? Obviously take everything on here with a grain of salt, but posting the questions here couldn't hurt (unless they are super personal, etc.).

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat May 28, 2016 10:31 am

sprezz wrote:get it down to one page if it's not already

if you're gonna be a butthead and have a multi page resume, pay the butthead tax of making a one page version "that you won't use" "so you can see what it looks like"

i'm a fairly recent grad but from my small sample size the correlation between older applicants and using multiple pages is real and you either shouldn't do it or should at the very least put yourself in a position where a later decision to cut it down doesn't cost you editing time during finals season

Who is the dumbass who uses a more than one page resume? Unless you have incredibly legit WE (which your summer on the Hill does not qualify as), there is no good reason to go over one page.

thebrownnote

Postby thebrownnote » Sat May 28, 2016 12:07 pm

First Offense wrote:
sprezz wrote:get it down to one page if it's not already

Who is the dumbass who uses a more than one page resume? Unless you have incredibly legit WE (which your summer on the Hill does not qualify as), there is no good reason to go over one page.

Haha, yeah I definitely won't be sending out a 2+page resume. I do have decent amount of legit work experience (for the field I'm interested in), but none of it merits more than 2-3 lines each on a resume at this point. From my time hiring, generally people just glance at employer and job title anyway.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'd post my specific questions here, but then I'd be easily google-able, and you'd all judge me when I show up in the fall. Rightly so, no doubt.

rhododactylos

Postby rhododactylos » Mon May 30, 2016 2:54 pm

One more note--I believe the October 15 rule is NALP's and not just UVA's, and it was a centralized policy decision to make sure 1L summer hiring doesn't turn into a gold rush the way clerkship hiring has post-plan.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:22 am

It's official - I've done more studying in 1.5 weeks of bar review than all of 3L.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:26 pm

Anybody know when/how/where the Graduation cocktail party photos will be uploaded?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:20 pm

Anyone know when official transcripts will have degrees listed? All my grades are in but the transcript is still lacking the degree conferral (which I need for my summer advance).

Br3v wrote:Anybody know when/how/where the Graduation cocktail party photos will be uploaded?
Pretty sure those got emailed out via Grad Images a while ago. Friends have the photos posted all over FB.

t14green

Postby t14green » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:01 am

Yardbird wrote:Anyone know when official transcripts will have degrees listed? All my grades are in but the transcript is still lacking the degree conferral (which I need for my summer advance).

"Final Grades: Final Grades for the Spring 2016 term are due to SRO from the faculty by Wednesday June 8th. As a result, your degree may not be officially conferred on your record until after this date.

· Transcripts: After all final grades are in, and your degree is officially conferred by the University’s Registrar Office (UREG), you will see the degree conferral on your transcript. In order to monitor when your degree will be officially conferred on your transcript, please monitor your unofficial transcript via SIS – which mirrors your official transcript – to see when the conferral and degree date are posted."

Now get back to Barbri.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”