UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sprezz

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sprezz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:02 pm

^^ yup. no surprises.

Garden District

Postby Garden District » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:26 pm

I love that the 3L fundraising campaign, the point of which is to "signal to older alumni that what they loved about the Law School remains intact and is deserving of their continued support," is accomplishing this by shaming 3Ls who don't donate practically by name on a big board in ScoCo. How collegial and chill.

What a joke.

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Garden District wrote:I love that the 3L fundraising campaign, the point of which is to "signal to older alumni that what they loved about the Law School remains intact and is deserving of their continued support," is accomplishing this by shaming 3Ls who don't donate practically by name on a big board in ScoCo. How collegial and chill.

What a joke.

Many graduating students have already paid the law school approximately $165,000. According to US News, 71% of the class of 2015 graduated with debt. The average debt load was $146,907. Why should we commit to give more money to a school that many of us have already mortgaged our futures to attend? Tuition and fees steadily rise 5-6% per year and will reach $59,300 next year.

The generosity of older alumni has only led to the school spending more money and passing on ever-advancing costs to the current students. Why should graduating students "signal to older alumni" that the law school "remains intact"? If we commit to give aren't we simply misleading older alumni (high % participation but nominal amounts)? The current costs of this law school bear little resemblance to the costs of previous generations of UVA law grads. Does the law school "remain intact" or have a fundamental problem?

North

Postby North » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Yeah, I'm really put off by the scoco shame board.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:40 pm

there's actually a board?

North

Postby North » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Last I checked, yeah. There are two boards. One is broken down by section with the percentage of each section that has donated so far (it's supposed to be a competition among the sections).

The other is broken into columns by section with stickers of the names of the people in that section that have donated. So, the obvious intent there is for people in your section to know exactly who hasn't donated. I think that's pretty scummy, tbh.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:57 pm

man, that's kinda fucked up

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:01 pm

i'll be honest, every school-related donation thing i've done has kept a running and public tally of those who have donated.

i dunno what its like anymore, but there was an insert in our graduation book thing that listed everybody who had donated, thought that was pretty standard.

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:29 am

What happens during "J-term?" What do people usually do/take during this time?

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:34 am

5ky wrote:i'll be honest, every school-related donation thing i've done has kept a running and public tally of those who have donated.

i dunno what its like anymore, but there was an insert in our graduation book thing that listed everybody who had donated, thought that was pretty standard.

My undergrad did something very similar. People just worked up over this because they see a professional degree as more of an economic decision while college was an "experience."

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:36 am

Nagster5 wrote:What happens during "J-term?" What do people usually do/take during this time?

you can take a j term course or not. if not, you just continue on with your winter vacation.

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:44 am

5ky wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:What happens during "J-term?" What do people usually do/take during this time?

you can take a j term course or not. if not, you just continue on with your winter vacation.

Thanks. Do most people take something during that time, or just the crazies?

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:17 pm

A lot of people take them. If you're not doing anything else over break it's a great way to grab a credit (and some of them tend to be pretty interesting). Maybe 10 hours of class time and then a 10 page paper for most of the classes. When you consider that the difference between a 3 and 4 credit class is generally an extra 80 minutes every week for the entire semester, J-terms don't seem so bad.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:26 pm

i took one my 3L year to ensure i would graduate with the bare minimum number of credits. i think a majority of people probably took at least one in their three years. no need to go crazy about it though. i wouldn't bother your 1L unless you really wanted to.

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:56 pm

Awesome, thanks guys.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:37 pm

I took Trial Advocacy College in J-term, 2 credits pass/fail, it was a pretty good experience, definitely recommended. Mostly people just go home though.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:42 am

anon sequitur wrote:I took Trial Advocacy College in J-term, 2 credits pass/fail, it was a pretty good experience, definitely recommended. Mostly people just go home though.

Trial College was great, but I wouldn't want to take it unless I had already taken evidence. A great course for your 2L winter break, especially if you plan to use your practice certificate as a 3L. You can also fit in a 1 credit course the following week to get 3 credits over 2 January weeks.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:49 am

North wrote:Yeah, I'm really put off by the scoco shame board.

It existed when I was a 3L but didn't bother me much. I doubt anyone in my year can remember my name wasn't listed. I thought of it as recognition for those who did pledge, rather than shame for those, like me, who did not.

Equally, as an alum I feel now that I should probably have pledged. Today I now know many graduates of other schools and have better appreciation for some of the stuff that the foundation makes possible and which benefits law students now and after they graduate.

We have a school that isn't dependent upon low cost adjunct faculty. Personally, without PILA grants and a Kennedy fellowship I would be in a much, much worse position today. I imagine (hope) that those not interested in public interest careers have appreciated the fantastic careers services that UVA offers, and recognize the societal benefits those who pursue public interest careers will deliver.

Garden District

Postby Garden District » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:42 pm

Last edited by Garden District on Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:52 pm

I agree it takes gall to ask given the situation, but it probably has to do with some study that shows that it's much more likely that people will continue to give throughout their career if they give right off the bat (gut checked this). Look - schools aren't going to stop this sort of shit, it's systemic among, not only law schools, but almost all universities.

And I have to imagine that you must be just using hyperbole to stress your frustration at the school (all schools, I guess). Because if you actually think it's even remotely possible that your friends might look down on you for not donating to the school, either you are super paranoid or you should get some better friends.

smile0751

Postby smile0751 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:08 pm

North wrote:Finally met the guy who lives in the van. He's pretty chill.

Sorry to go back a bit, but does anyone know this guys story? How does he have UVA internet access? Is he affiliated with the university? What is he doing all day? Some people were talking about him and saying that he makes them really uncomfortable. They didnt understand why the law school wasnt more concerned.

North

Postby North » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:34 pm

smile0751 wrote:Sorry to go back a bit, but does anyone know this guys story? How does he have UVA internet access? Is he affiliated with the university? What is he doing all day? Some people were talking about him and saying that he makes them really uncomfortable. They didnt understand why the law school wasnt more concerned.

It's a public library. You can get guest passes for the internet. Plus, he's super nice and doesn't bother anyone ever. Like, I've seen him every other day for three years and not once have I seen him bothering someone or doing anything weird (aside from the inherent weirdness of it, of course). Who knows, maybe he's working on a dissertation. Folks should leave him be.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:19 am

smile0751 wrote:

Sorry to go back a bit, but does anyone know this guys story? How does he have UVA internet access? Is he affiliated with the university? What is he doing all day? Some people were talking about him and saying that he makes them really uncomfortable. They didnt understand why the law school wasnt more concerned.

Some people should chill the fuck out.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:50 am

First Offense wrote:
smile0751 wrote:

Some people should chill the fuck out.

This 100%. How the heck can that guy make you feel uncomfortable he sits alone at his own table in the back and talks to nobody. Aka only way he makes you uncomfortable is because you don't like the way he looks.

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:50 pm

Does OCS have a application portal for 1L jobs, or do you have to send each one individually?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”