UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
anon sequitur

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:37 pm

Ivy Gardens never fills up, it didn't even back before the Pavillion went up. The spots closest to the law school will though.

GoogleWasMyIdea

Postby GoogleWasMyIdea » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Last edited by GoogleWasMyIdea on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

you what

Postby you what » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:04 pm

Hey all, I'm wondering about students who commute home on weekends... spouse and child will stay home, but UVA's about an hour and 40 min from us so I think I'll need a place during the week. Not sure shelling out $800-$1000 is worth it for that. Anyone have any experiences or advice for someone in my situation? thanks.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:38 am

you what wrote:Hey all, I'm wondering about students who commute home on weekends... spouse and child will stay home, but UVA's about an hour and 40 min from us so I think I'll need a place during the week. Not sure shelling out $800-$1000 is worth it for that. Anyone have any experiences or advice for someone in my situation? thanks.

I'd have thought you could rent a room for less than $800/month. Two years ago I rented a 3br townhome for $1100/month. Are you looking for a place by yourself, or to share?

you what

Postby you what » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:01 pm

albanach wrote:
you what wrote:Hey all, I'm wondering about students who commute home on weekends... spouse and child will stay home, but UVA's about an hour and 40 min from us so I think I'll need a place during the week. Not sure shelling out $800-$1000 is worth it for that. Anyone have any experiences or advice for someone in my situation? thanks.

I'd have thought you could rent a room for less than $800/month. Two years ago I rented a 3br townhome for $1100/month. Are you looking for a place by yourself, or to share?

I'd prefer a place to myself, or at least private room/bath with shared kitchen etc. If I was sharing with other law students, I think it would be fine. I'm 36, so way too old to be rooming with undergrads.

CvilleRunner

Postby CvilleRunner » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Recommendations for a cheap MPRE passport-type photo in town?

CvilleRunner

Postby CvilleRunner » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:37 pm

you what wrote:
albanach wrote:

I'd prefer a place to myself, or at least private room/bath with shared kitchen etc. If I was sharing with other law students, I think it would be fine. I'm 36, so way too old to be rooming with undergrads.

The "Graduate Center" on Arlington might be what you are looking for? It is your own private bedroom and bathroom and then a shared (with three other people) kitchen/common area. It's run by Woodard properties and it says it starts at $579 per month. It's close to the school and close to grocery stores. It's also exclusive to graduate students.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:47 pm

CvilleRunner wrote:Recommendations for a cheap MPRE passport-type photo in town?

i just took a selfie made it the right size or whatever and printed it on printer paper and cut it out. i think the more risk averse among us went to CVS

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:09 am

CvilleRunner wrote:
you what wrote:
albanach wrote:

The "Graduate Center" on Arlington might be what you are looking for? It is your own private bedroom and bathroom and then a shared (with three other people) kitchen/common area. It's run by Woodard properties and it says it starts at $579 per month. It's close to the school and close to grocery stores. It's also exclusive to graduate students.

ivy gardens is home to a ton of law students, and has a lot of 2br/2ba. it's a pretty good setup.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:54 am

5ky wrote:ivy gardens is home to a ton of law students, and has a lot of 2br/2ba. it's a pretty good setup.

Yes. You have a couple of recommendations, and I think they make sense.

Sure, you could find somewhere further away and cheaper. But look at the downsides:

• You already have a four hour home and back commute each week. Why add a commute to school?
  • You'll be further from school. Unless you're good at packing food, you may end up spending more on eating out than you save.
  • You'll be further from social events and study groups. These are important, even for non-trad students.
  • Either you'll be living somewhere not very desirable or you'll be very far away to get decent savings - think Greene County or Augusta County. And if you pick Augusta County, you need to be prepared for slow commutes due to fog or snow on the mountains or accidents on the interstate.
  • The potential savings are small compared to the cost of education plus living expenses.

JustAnotherGunner

Postby JustAnotherGunner » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:35 pm

Hello. My family and I have recently moved to Virginia in late January of this year. I will be applying to law schools for the Fall 2017 cycle, so I will be sending out my applications sometime this upcoming Fall. I know that in order to qualify for in-state tuition at UVA Law, one needs to live in VA for 12 months prior to the first day of classes, which I would have done. But what isn't clear is whether one is considered a Virginian resident during the admissions process (because January to, say, this September is only 8 months and not 12 months). Does anyone know if I would be considered a Virginian resident or not for admissions purposes?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:45 pm

JustAnotherGunner wrote:Hello. My family and I have recently moved to Virginia in late January of this year. I will be applying to law schools for the Fall 2017 cycle, so I will be sending out my applications sometime this upcoming Fall. I know that in order to qualify for in-state tuition at UVA Law, one needs to live in VA for 12 months prior to the first day of classes, which I would have done. But what isn't clear is whether one is considered a Virginian resident during the admissions process (because January to, say, this September is only 8 months and not 12 months). Does anyone know if I would be considered a Virginian resident or not for admissions purposes?

it's a tricky question, but my reading is that if you would be an in-state student for tuition purposes (ie as of first day of classes), you would have your application reviewed as if you were an in-state student.

here's a few links

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospectives/va.htm

http://www.virginia.edu/provost/vastatus/

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:52 pm

JustAnotherGunner wrote:Hello. My family and I have recently moved to Virginia in late January of this year. I will be applying to law schools for the Fall 2017 cycle, so I will be sending out my applications sometime this upcoming Fall. I know that in order to qualify for in-state tuition at UVA Law, one needs to live in VA for 12 months prior to the first day of classes, which I would have done. But what isn't clear is whether one is considered a Virginian resident during the admissions process (because January to, say, this September is only 8 months and not 12 months). Does anyone know if I would be considered a Virginian resident or not for admissions purposes?

Here's the code and the guidelines.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/23-7.4/

http://www.schev.edu/students/vadomicileguidelines.asp

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:20 am

When do we register for fall classes?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:27 am

over the summer

ert2sk

Postby ert2sk » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:42 am

Hi guys!

Have any of you lived in the one bedroom apartment at Copeley Hill? I'm seriously considering it, but unfortunately, there are no model units and therefore no tours of the apartments. All I have to go off of are the photos on the University website. If you live there, do you live in a furnished or unfurnished apartment, and do you like it? What does it look on the inside? I've read through some posts saying that the apartments are nasty...so naturally, I'm a little concerned. Also, I've heard that a lot of families live in Copeley Hill. Is this true? I'm 24, and this may sound weird, but I don't want to look out my bedroom window and see children playing. I'd prefer a kid-free environment lol. Anyone have any ideas?? I really want to live by myself 1L year, and this is the only place I can afford.

esq

Postby esq » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:58 am

LOL, I know that when I was at Copley, there were quite a few families (Med, Business, and Law families like the affordability/close access to their respective schools). That said, things were changing quite a bit during my last year and many couples without children, or single students were tenants.

The furnished one beds were convenient for students who didn't want to spend the money to furnish their apartments, but the quality of the furnishings were not great (e.g., the most glaring example were the beds, which seemed very uncomfortable and had this strange vinyl covering). I would suggest getting an unfurnished apartment if you can afford it because the apartments are as blank a canvas as you will see. The rooms seemed spacious for the price, and I had friends who really made the most of it (e.g., they would fully carpet the apartment, lay inexpensive synthetic wood flooring, and/or purchase some nice throw rugs---these apartments really felt like a home).

The cons are: linoleum flooring throughout the apartment, shabby paint (probably 100 coats since the 1950s), no dishwasher (and a small one-basin sink with no disposal), no micro, no central ac (the wall unit in the living room can be quite loud, you will need to purchase a few fans to circulate the cool air to your room), and scarce wall plugs (the bathroom, if it has one, will be located in the above-the-sink light fixture). The one bedroom apartments are also located on the top floor, so they have a tendency to be much warmer during the summer.

The pros are: The apartments have recently been renovated, so the shitty cabinets and light fixtures have been replaced. There are free utilities, Internet, and cable (so I would just run the ac all day while I was out and when I was sleeping, and turn it off when I returned and was in my front room--it was always nice and cool because of this). A laundry facility is provided for each side of the apartment building, meaning that only 3 to 4 tenants use it at any given time (feel free to stash your detergent on a shelf in the code accessed facility). There is plenty of built in lighting. These ceiling lamps will likely be new due to recent renovations, and you won't really need to buy lamps. And the location provides quick access to hit the gym in the morning and head to school.

Because you are on the top floor, it is very private and you will scarcely ever notice the children that run around at basement level and on the playgrounds. You will have a small private balcony with a view of the sky that gives the feeling of seclusion, a convenient place for a bike in the front walkway area, and a large personal storage area in the basement. On the off chance that you aren't engaged in law school activity or at the Corner (spending the extra cash you will save), the accommodations--relative to other single dwellings--are fairly large and well suited to host a gathering, and due to families generally being in cinder-block walled holes in the ground two levels below, the noise really isn't a problem for families. In short, the architecture naturally separates families from you, and vice versa.

Just a quick overview of furnishing costs, I was in a 3 bed basement apt with my children. I sold most furnishings when I moved to VA, but I think I spent about $400 to get a surprisingly nice sofa/loveseat/3 antique dressers/corner tables/chests/desks/a dining table, and anything else I needed at the Salvation Army on Cherry St. I picked up some thick shag rugs for about $80 per at Lowes, some $15 runners for the halls, a shelf-cabinet that framed the toilet and bath-tower for the bathroom. It was really nice when all was said and done. Also people in the complex are constantly giving nice things away, too, due to graduation and moving.

PS, If you are looking for a cheaper option, you could always rent a shared two room Copeley apartment that is literally opposite to the law school and next to the softball diamond on Massie Rd. (Furnished, 2 bath, central air, and standard utilities-cable).

BTP1707

Postby BTP1707 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:42 pm

esq wrote:PS, If you are looking for a cheaper option, you could always rent a shared two room Copeley apartment that is literally opposite to the law school and next to the softball diamond on Massie Rd. (Furnished, 2 bath, central air, and standard utilities-cable).

FYI the other Copeley referenced is almost entirely undergraduate students, you will have an RA, and in all likelihood it will be full for the 2016-2017 academic year prior to being available to incoming graduate students.

cleo510

Postby cleo510 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Over what schools did you choose UVA and why?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:19 pm

cleo510 wrote:Over what schools did you choose UVA and why?

all except hys; $ and low COL

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:50 pm

5ky wrote:
cleo510 wrote:Over what schools did you choose UVA and why?

all except hys; $ and low COL

this + proximity to DC/DC placement

ert2sk

Postby ert2sk » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:32 pm

This is ACTUALLY amazing!!!!! Thank you for this detailed info!

esq wrote:LOL, I know that when I was at Copley, there were quite a few families (Med, Business, and Law families like the affordability/close access to their respective schools). That said, things were changing quite a bit during my last year and many couples without children, or single students were tenants.

The furnished one beds were convenient for students who didn't want to spend the money to furnish their apartments, but the quality of the furnishings were not great (e.g., the most glaring example were the beds, which seemed very uncomfortable and had this strange vinyl covering). I would suggest getting an unfurnished apartment if you can afford it because the apartments are as blank a canvas as you will see. The rooms seemed spacious for the price, and I had friends who really made the most of it (e.g., they would fully carpet the apartment, lay inexpensive synthetic wood flooring, and/or purchase some nice throw rugs---these apartments really felt like a home).

The cons are: linoleum flooring throughout the apartment, shabby paint (probably 100 coats since the 1950s), no dishwasher (and a small one-basin sink with no disposal), no micro, no central ac (the wall unit in the living room can be quite loud, you will need to purchase a few fans to circulate the cool air to your room), and scarce wall plugs (the bathroom, if it has one, will be located in the above-the-sink light fixture). The one bedroom apartments are also located on the top floor, so they have a tendency to be much warmer during the summer.

The pros are: The apartments have recently been renovated, so the shitty cabinets and light fixtures have been replaced. There are free utilities, Internet, and cable (so I would just run the ac all day while I was out and when I was sleeping, and turn it off when I returned and was in my front room--it was always nice and cool because of this). A laundry facility is provided for each side of the apartment building, meaning that only 3 to 4 tenants use it at any given time (feel free to stash your detergent on a shelf in the code accessed facility). There is plenty of built in lighting. These ceiling lamps will likely be new due to recent renovations, and you won't really need to buy lamps. And the location provides quick access to hit the gym in the morning and head to school.

Because you are on the top floor, it is very private and you will scarcely ever notice the children that run around at basement level and on the playgrounds. You will have a small private balcony with a view of the sky that gives the feeling of seclusion, a convenient place for a bike in the front walkway area, and a large personal storage area in the basement. On the off chance that you aren't engaged in law school activity or at the Corner (spending the extra cash you will save), the accommodations--relative to other single dwellings--are fairly large and well suited to host a gathering, and due to families generally being in cinder-block walled holes in the ground two levels below, the noise really isn't a problem for families. In short, the architecture naturally separates families from you, and vice versa.

Just a quick overview of furnishing costs, I was in a 3 bed basement apt with my children. I sold most furnishings when I moved to VA, but I think I spent about $400 to get a surprisingly nice sofa/loveseat/3 antique dressers/corner tables/chests/desks/a dining table, and anything else I needed at the Salvation Army on Cherry St. I picked up some thick shag rugs for about $80 per at Lowes, some $15 runners for the halls, a shelf-cabinet that framed the toilet and bath-tower for the bathroom. It was really nice when all was said and done. Also people in the complex are constantly giving nice things away, too, due to graduation and moving.

PS, If you are looking for a cheaper option, you could always rent a shared two room Copeley apartment that is literally opposite to the law school and next to the softball diamond on Massie Rd. (Furnished, 2 bath, central air, and standard utilities-cable).

potatoes

Postby potatoes » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:32 pm

People who were Dillard Fellows - would you do it again? Did it help with OGI? Clerkship apps? How was the workload?

Student of Law

Postby Student of Law » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:30 pm

Last edited by Student of Law on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:58 pm

He previewed it for us ahead of time, it was basically exactly as described. Couple very straightforward questions, a little policy. Not a classic issuespotter. We had a page limit, maybe 10 or 12, I forget. I thought it was a very fair exam.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”