UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
WahooLaw24

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:47 pm

I believe 5 rising 3Ls made it this year. Whether or not there were others who got the grades but didn't make the cut, who knows.

cornerstone

Postby cornerstone » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:58 pm

Here's what I've found:

The class of 2016 2Ls had 5 new grade ons: http://www.virginialawreview.org/announcements/content/virginia-law-review-welcomes-new-members-0

The class of 2015 2Ls had 4 new grade ons: http://www.virginialawreview.org/announcements/content/virginia-law-review-welcomes-new-members

The class of 2014 2Ls had 2 new grade ons: http://www.virginialawreview.org/announcements/content/virginia-law-review-welcomes-new-members-class-2014

Any sources in VLR care to out whether or not there were more than 5 above the original 1L threshold for the class of 2016? Were there any people above the threshold that didn't make it that would care to share how far off they are?

I know this is all really personal information, but I'm obviously curious and think it would be helpful for others at UVA.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:35 pm

I don't think anyone on VLR is going to post that on here. If you think you're on the line, yeah put in a healthy 2L effort and see if you make it. Grading on as a 3L is obviously a great deal work wise, and you get that resume line forever.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:09 am

Who are some chill professors to take for Spring? Need to fill a spot. Preferably an exam class with no cold calls.

potatoes

Postby potatoes » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:49 pm

What was the GPA to grade on to VLR last year/what is it usually?

cornerstone

Postby cornerstone » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:26 pm

potatoes wrote:What was the GPA to grade on to VLR last year/what is it usually?

Wasn't published this year unlike other years. Normally in the range of 3.71-3.73 but I heard rumors it was much higher this year.

rhododactylos

Postby rhododactylos » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:11 pm

It was indeed higher this year. Apparently that was the diligence half of KDon's "combination of diligence and procrastination unrivaled by prior classes."

cornerstone

Postby cornerstone » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:18 pm

Sorry to harp on the grade stuff, but does anybody know how wide Sayler's curve is for Rhetoric? Trying to figure out whether that's a good option vs. an independent study.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:32 pm

independent study is definitely a more guaranteed grade if thats the main criterion

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:29 pm

I think it's pretty hard to get anything but a B+ in Sayler or Shadel's speech-type classes.

Just

Postby Just » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:12 pm

anon sequitur wrote:I think it's pretty hard to get anything but a B+ in Sayler or Shadel's speech-type classes.

Yet there were Bs

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:29 pm

Just wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:I think it's pretty hard to get anything but a B+ in Sayler or Shadel's speech-type classes.

Yet there were Bs

That's not what I like to hear.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:52 pm

there are going to be people in every LS class that have 5-10 years experience playing dress up and talking pretty for some kind of competitive speech shit. for those people it is going to be pretty easy to fold in whatever miniscule specific instruction a persuasion teacher gives them, treat it like something other than a throwaway class, and walk out with an A- or better.

it's probably still worth taking a class like this if you aren't one of those people. i took 2 similar classes from different teachers (don't think either of the teachers i had have spring '16 courses) and even the people who started off real shaky got a hell of a lot better by the end of the semester. just maybe save it for 3L if that's you.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:58 pm

whats an updog wrote:
Just wrote:

Yet there were Bs

That's not what I like to hear.

An A- is certainly possible in the class, but the expectations are high. When I took the class there were a number of students who didn't have English as a first language. That is a challenge as you might imagine - though the class is supposed to be graded to an extent on your progress, not just your end point, so a non-native speaker should still be able to get a B+ or maybe better but I think it offers some padding if you're decent, willing to make an effort, and happy enough if you end with a B+.

Just like Accounting/Corporate Finance will attract those good with numbers seeking an easy A, these classes are going to attract the sort of students who have performed at Carnegie Hall, or at least the best performers from the Libel Show.

I will say that I went in as a decent public speaker, came out as a better one, and have used skills from the class many times in practice.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:38 pm

HAPPY TUESDAY EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!

rhododactylos

Postby rhododactylos » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:44 pm

Anyone here had Walt for bankruptcy? Curious about his curve and exam.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:18 pm

rhododactylos wrote:Anyone here had Walt for bankruptcy? Curious about his curve and exam.

Secured transactions was standard for both. The exam was very hard, but that was a reflection of the material. The exam itself was standard and quite fair.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:45 am

sprezz wrote:

HAPPY TUESDAY EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol I don't know any law school student that has UVA as their primary team except for double hoos.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:01 pm

ding ding ding! i had perfect attendance at leitao games, told anne richard that and she felt bad for me and let me back in.

hamiltoniana

Postby hamiltoniana » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:20 pm

On the verge of signing a lease for one of the Arlington Park townhomes! It seems like people generally have a great experience with them, but should I have any reservations? the backyard and proximity to school are pretty wonderful

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:32 pm

hamiltoniana wrote:On the verge of signing a lease for one of the Arlington Park townhomes! It seems like people generally have a great experience with them, but should I have any reservations? the backyard and proximity to school are pretty wonderful

I really enjoyed living there. They're a bit older; so a few minor issues. Note, all of these applied to mine, which was like 4 years ago now.

There wasn't a fan in the bathroom, it was pretty hard to stop a bit of mold developing, even with opening the window.

There weren't cable outlets in the bedroom. I asked and management said they were rewiring some of the apts and it would be done in ~6 months, but it never happened. I ended up running a 50 foot coaxial from my bedroom downstairs.

The outlets downstairs weren't grounded, though I feel like the ones upstairs were.

I still loved it there though. The backyard was awesome, it was close to the school and also to the shopping center.

North

Postby North » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:00 pm

Finally met the guy who lives in the van. He's pretty chill.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:26 pm

What. Did you go into the van?

North

Postby North » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:30 pm

5ky wrote:What. Did you go into the van?

Nah (lol), I was working on a presentation in ScoCo by the TV and he came in to watch something. We chatted it up about football. Nice guy.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:33 pm

Is this a student or a random van dude?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”