UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rhododactylos

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby rhododactylos » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:00 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
okaygo wrote:Do professors here actually care about the ABA attendance policy/take attendance?

Normally, there's an inverse correlation with class size (smaller class : more care).

This is correct. I've had exactly one professor who cared about attendance (very conspicuously pulling out the seating chart at the beginning of each class and looking the room over), and it was a class of about 20 people that met, perhaps not coincidentally, at 8:30.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:10 am

okaygo wrote:Do professors here actually care about the ABA attendance policy/take attendance?

It depends, but probably not.

I've pushed a lot of lines (and crossed a couple by miles), and never heard anything about it.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:16 am

I know for a fact that a tax professor failed a student for not coming to something like 90% of the classes. But, to be fair to the professor, he purportedly warned the student, and the student continued to be a no show.

Honestly, just go to class - it's really not that much work. Law school is a joke compared to the workload you will have as a young associate at a law firm.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:57 am

UVAIce wrote:

I know for a fact that a tax professor failed a student for not coming to something like 90% of the classes. But, to be fair to the professor, he purportedly warned the student, and the student continued to be a no show.

Honestly, just go to class - it's really not that much work. Law school is a joke compared to the workload you will have as a young associate at a law firm.

You may be discounting the fact you're smarter than most.

hypetrain

Postby hypetrain » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:12 pm

Has anyone taken Rhetoric Seminar? How does the curve work in that class?

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:38 am

What spot do you have to be on a class waitlist to make it totally unrealistic that you'll ever get in? Looking at crim investigation

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:00 pm

For a large class like that, you will almost definitely get in, though you may have to wait until the end of add drop. I literally never failed to get in to any class, positions as high as mid thirties. There is a lot of churn the last two or three days.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:06 pm

anon sequitur wrote:For a large class like that, you will almost definitely get in, though you may have to wait until the end of add drop. I literally never failed to get in to any class, positions as high as mid thirties. There is a lot of churn the last two or three days.

Oh nice, didn't realize that. Thanks

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:19 pm

my experience has been the same as anon regarding waitlists.

anyone have any thoughts about Livermore? the evaluations seem a little mixed and i am not about that cold call life but am kind of interested in regulatory law

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:52 pm

3Ls - apply for dat graduation yo.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:45 pm

All hail Dean Goluboff. Great choice.

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:22 am

Does the bookstore do buybacks? I realize the answer's probably no for anything customized or year-specific, but still.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:16 am

yes, but you will get less money back than you would've saved by renting

alternatively, you can hope that a certain prof is going to teach the same class again and that they don't change the casebook and then sell to a 1L next year

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Yeah, I rented everything I could but I think some were buy-only. Thanks!

Harry Belafonte

Postby Harry Belafonte » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Has anyone here had Versteeg for International Law? How was it?

Mrs Featherbottom

Postby Mrs Featherbottom » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Anyone here have experience moving to Charlottesville with an SO looking for local employment? UVA's pretty high on my list right now, but the small economy is kind of a concern for her job search. She's in marketing btw.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:56 pm

Mrs Featherbottom wrote:Anyone here have experience moving to Charlottesville with an SO looking for local employment? UVA's pretty high on my list right now, but the small economy is kind of a concern for her job search. She's in marketing btw.

I mean - it's tough. Charlottesville is pretty small, and while it probably has a more thriving professional atmosphere than most college towns, it still won't match what she could get in a real city.

One option would be her working in Richmond - about 70 minutes away from Short Pump/90 minutes away from downtown. Possible to live half way, but you'd miss out on some events (and half way between Richmond and Charlottesville is like... Louisa? I don't know - middle of nowhere).

That being said, I've heard that student services actually can help quite a bit with jobs for SOs in the area, but never had to find out myself.

Mrs Featherbottom

Postby Mrs Featherbottom » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:17 pm

First Offense wrote:
Mrs Featherbottom wrote:Anyone here have experience moving to Charlottesville with an SO looking for local employment? UVA's pretty high on my list right now, but the small economy is kind of a concern for her job search. She's in marketing btw.

I mean - it's tough. Charlottesville is pretty small, and while it probably has a more thriving professional atmosphere than most college towns, it still won't match what she could get in a real city.

One option would be her working in Richmond - about 70 minutes away from Short Pump/90 minutes away from downtown. Possible to live half way, but you'd miss out on some events (and half way between Richmond and Charlottesville is like... Louisa? I don't know - middle of nowhere).

That being said, I've heard that student services actually can help quite a bit with jobs for SOs in the area, but never had to find out myself.

Thanks, maybe I'll take a look at what student services can offer. And yeah, we chatted about Richmond too, but I think you're right that living between Charlottesville and Richmond might be a lose-lose situation because of the isolation from both.

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:41 pm

Last edited by andthenIwaslike on Sun May 22, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:31 am

Your SO should start looking right away. Like, now. I know one student whose wife is gainfully employed in Charlottesville in her chosen field, and she looked for months before they had planned to move to Charlottesville, and I believe she was willing to move at any time if that was what it took. There are jobs, but you have to be willing to actively search for a long time in some cases.

North

Postby North » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Anybody want to trade a Rutherglen employment discrimination outline for beer or something?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:50 am

North wrote:Anybody want to trade a Rutherglen employment discrimination outline for beer or something?

forde-mazrui uses the same book and i think is pretty similar (at least it was when i took it). it tracked the concepts and insights hornbook that rutherglen wrote pretty well. there's a few in the sba outline bank. mine used to be although it's not anymore

Mrs Featherbottom

Postby Mrs Featherbottom » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:44 am

xylocarp wrote:

Your SO should start looking right away. Like, now. I know one student whose wife is gainfully employed in Charlottesville in her chosen field, and she looked for months before they had planned to move to Charlottesville, and I believe she was willing to move at any time if that was what it took. There are jobs, but you have to be willing to actively search for a long time in some cases.

Thanks for the reply. I think being prepared to head to Charlottesville early if a job comes up is the right way to do it.

Varrus

Postby Varrus » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:26 am

Does anyone have information on the neighborhood of the Order of the Coif (top 10%) GPA cutoff for the Class of 2015? Thanks.

An0n

Postby An0n » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:39 am

Anyone take an externship? Is it an automatic A or are you graded on a curve against all the other externing people from other locations? Seems like most of the credits are pass/fail but the one credit of grade is based on some sort of schoolwork and I'm not sure if that's curved?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”