UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
monsterman

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby monsterman » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:42 pm

What would be the consequences of quitting your journal? (I'm mostly serious, this shit is the worst). Before anyone goes through my post history and reminds me I was worried about getting on a journal last year...well I deserve that. But seriously, if I have job offers now does it really matter anymore?

North

Postby North » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:49 pm

monsterman wrote:What would be the consequences of quitting your journal? (I'm mostly serious, this shit is the worst). Before anyone goes through my post history and reminds me I was worried about getting on a journal last year...well I deserve that. But seriously, if I have job offers now does it really matter anymore?

Usually journals make you sign a form saying that if you bail they will either tell your employer or require you on your honor to tell your employer, and that's usually enough to keep people indentured

swampman

Postby swampman » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:57 pm

monsterman wrote:What would be the consequences of quitting your journal? (I'm mostly serious, this shit is the worst). Before anyone goes through my post history and reminds me I was worried about getting on a journal last year...well I deserve that. But seriously, if I have job offers now does it really matter anymore?

Either way, kinda a dick move to the people who have to pick up your work.

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:04 pm

North wrote:

Usually journals make you sign a form saying that if you bail they will either tell your employer or require you on your honor to tell your employer, and that's usually enough to keep people indentured

Wow that is pretty incredible haha. Smart move on their part...

swampman wrote:

Either way, kinda a dick move to the people who have to pick up your work.[/quote]

And yeah I mean I wouldn't do it in the middle of a cite check or something...just don't really love the idea of doing this for two years

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:24 pm

As long as you're not on VJIL it's really not that bad.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:50 pm

Think of it as a rite of passage.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:20 pm

First Offense wrote:Think of it as a rite of passage.

That pretty much sums up all of law school so far

jimmythecatdied6

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:20 am

Please tell me you joined VLBR. Maybe it's changed since I graduated, but it was a total joke in terms of what they required. But to be fair, all journals are a joke. Do the absolute bare minimum and enjoy the fact that employers think you're learning something.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:52 pm

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:Please tell me you joined VLBR. Maybe it's changed since I graduated, but it was a total joke in terms of what they required. But to be fair, all journals are a joke. Do the absolute bare minimum and enjoy the fact that employers think you're learning something.

No employer thinks that. Everyone knows journals are a joke, but it's just another hoop they expect you to jump through.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Doing a journal doesn't look good unless it's VLR, which still doesn't look good in and of itself, it's just a signal that your grades are high or you are willing to try insanely hard to write-on. Not doing a journal looks bad, because it tells employers that you didn't jump at the chance to do pointless drudge-work for the sake of a line on your resume, and that you might have an unhealthy value for leisure time.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Yeah, I am actually convinced that my outcome would have been exactly the same had I not done a journal. But being risk averse, I probably would still do things the same way.

lawandorder2019

Postby lawandorder2019 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:13 pm

I have been accepted to UVA with a scholarship and have pretty much decided that I'll be going there next year. However, I would like to get a better scholarship package from them. Any advice on how to go about this?

North

Postby North » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:26 pm

lawandorder2019 wrote:I have been accepted to UVA with a scholarship and have pretty much decided that I'll be going there next year. However, I would like to get a better scholarship package from them. Any advice on how to go about this?

Same as with any other school. Get better scholarship offers from peer schools or a better LSAT and ask them to increase their award.

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Has anyone taken Banking and Financial Institutions with Verdier or Regulatory Law and Policy with Livermore, and can you specifically give your thoughts on taking those as a 1L? I know they don't really seem like 1L classes, but I need one more besides PR, and CrimPro's almost full, our section's schedule-conflicted out of all the Corporations, and I reeeallly don't want to take Evidence yet.

Appreciate any insights!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:13 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:Has anyone taken Banking and Financial Institutions with Verdier or Regulatory Law and Policy with Livermore, and can you specifically give your thoughts on taking those as a 1L? I know they don't really seem like 1L classes, but I need one more besides PR, and CrimPro's almost full, our section's schedule-conflicted out of all the Corporations, and I reeeallly don't want to take Evidence yet.

Appreciate any insights!

I don't know about those classes but why don't you want to take Evidence yet? It is 1L heavy but pretty straightforward.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:10 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:Has anyone taken Banking and Financial Institutions with Verdier or Regulatory Law and Policy with Livermore, and can you specifically give your thoughts on taking those as a 1L? I know they don't really seem like 1L classes, but I need one more besides PR, and CrimPro's almost full, our section's schedule-conflicted out of all the Corporations, and I reeeallly don't want to take Evidence yet.

Appreciate any insights!

Banking is a pretty heavy course. I took it as a non-1L and it was my most difficult class in terms of workload and prepping an outline for the exam for that particular semester. I wouldn't take it as a 1L.

Take Evidence or Accounting/Corp Fin or Tax or something.

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:13 pm

Br3v wrote:

Appreciate any insights!

I don't know about those classes but why don't you want to take Evidence yet? It is 1L heavy but pretty straightforward.

I dunno, I heard it was miserable to take at the same time as Property, and that it makes a lot more sense once you've already taken crimpro and conlaw.

North

Postby North » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:09 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Appreciate any insights!

I dunno, I heard it was miserable to take at the same time as Property, and that it makes a lot more sense once you've already taken crimpro and conlaw.

Nah I took it 1L spring with Mitchell and it was great

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:59 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Appreciate any insights!

Conlaw and crimpro will not help you make any more sense of Evidence than Securites Reg or M&A will. Evidence is a class that feeds into a lot of other classes (in fact, crimpro likely would be helped out with some knowledge of evidence though I haven't taken crimpro so I can't say for certain - conlaw definitely doesn't help). Can't speak to whether it's "miserable" to take with Property, but that might depend on who you have for property and who you are able to get for evidence. If you can get Mitchell for Evidence, you'll be golden. Most 1Ls probably end up taking Corporations, Evidence or Accounting/Corporate Finance.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:48 am

andthenIwaslike wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Appreciate any insights!

Evidence would be no more miserable to take with property than any other class would

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:14 pm

Do professors here actually care about the ABA attendance policy/take attendance?

North

Postby North » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:22 pm

okaygo wrote:Do professors here actually care about the ABA attendance policy/take attendance?

I hope not.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I'm guessing if your Prof has not mentioned attendance (e.g. doesn't have some "pass" scheme) or included it as part of the grade, then they probably don't care at all.

That probably does not apply to seminars though

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:45 pm

okaygo wrote:Do professors here actually care about the ABA attendance policy/take attendance?

Normally, there's an inverse correlation with class size (smaller class : more care).

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:11 pm

i've never heard of ABA attendance pressure in a lecture class (size > 1 section) and i think with my friends i would have if it was remotely common.

i can't imagine profs want to invest the time to take attendance where their reward for catching someone is more time wasted to administrative bullshit when they could instead be proliferating top notch scholarship or just enjoying their cushy life in a credited college town adjacent to the blue mountains. fuuuck i miss charlottesville

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”