UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
logicgames

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby logicgames » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:49 pm

Has anyone taken the Employment Clinic? Any feedback?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:44 pm

I dropped it after one meeting, it seemed like a lot of work. They were nice, you'd probably learn a lot.

Treespirited

Postby Treespirited » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Does anyone have any insight on how the waitlist process works for getting into a class? I am number one on the waitlist for my first choice class, and I was wondering if anyone knows if people that high on waitlists generally are able to get in, whether because the professor opens up more seats or because at least one person drops it. The class is a seminar. Any advice or insight would be much appreciated!

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:21 pm

It reeeeally depends on the class.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:31 pm

The chances of you not getting in off the waitlist are really low, unless it's a clinic or seminar. Even then, it's pretty good. I never failed to get in off a waitlist, though a number of times I didn't get in until the last day of add/drop.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:08 pm

logicgames wrote:Has anyone taken the Employment Clinic? Any feedback?

I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. There is a fair amount of work - expect something due each week, either for class or for a client matter.

The makeup of my class was plaintiff focused, though there would be opportunities if you're taking a more corporate approach and either side could learn useful stuff from the class.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:37 pm

When do we get the "extra" loan money? Like living expenses.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:41 pm

Gooner91 wrote:When do we get the "extra" loan money? Like living expenses.

Im sure the Fin Aid email covered this right? Like 3 days after disbursement if I remember correctly.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:13 pm

Br3v wrote:

Im sure the Fin Aid email covered this right? Like 3 days after disbursement if I remember correctly.

Ya it did, I just couldn't remember what it said and was having trouble locating the email.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Ya it did, I just couldn't remember what it said and was having trouble locating the email.
mine direct deposited today.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Cross posting this for more visibility. The wife and I are visiting Charlottesville this Saturday. Good spots downtown for drinks/food? Ideal would be finding a place that is lively but not overrun with obnoxious 19 year olds doing Jagerbombs.

swampman

Postby swampman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:09 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Cross posting this for more visibility. The wife and I are visiting Charlottesville this Saturday. Good spots downtown for drinks/food? Ideal would be finding a place that is lively but not overrun with obnoxious 19 year olds doing Jagerbombs.

Undergrads generally stick to the corner so you should be fine downtown. Skybar and Alley Light are two of my favorites for drinks.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:25 pm

swampman wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Cross posting this for more visibility. The wife and I are visiting Charlottesville this Saturday. Good spots downtown for drinks/food? Ideal would be finding a place that is lively but not overrun with obnoxious 19 year olds doing Jagerbombs.

Undergrads generally stick to the corner so you should be fine downtown. Skybar and Alley Light are two of my favorites for drinks.
+1, especially on Alley Light, it’s my favorite bar in Charlottesville.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Yardbird wrote:
swampman wrote:

+1, especially on Alley Light, it’s my favorite bar in Charlottesville.

If you want food+drinks at the same place, Ten is pretty solid if you like sushi. Hamilton's is also pretty good (steak/typical american bistro). Love Alley Light as a bar (great place to grab a drink before dinner) but its food is middling (plus having weird tapas portions that my tiny pink brain can't handle) and you'll likely need reservations even for drinks.

Bang! is good too (if you like Martinis, novel iterations on the Martini concept, and tapas (tons of choices, and very upfront about how much food is in each))

North

Postby North » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:18 pm

Anybody know anything about Advanced Legal Research with Roper?

How about Employment Discrimination with Rutherglen?

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:19 pm

Jurisprudence is like a foreign language to me. Do not know what any of the text means or what Schauer is even talking about. Probably a defense mechanism, but I am convinced that whatever is being said could actually be said using more concise and clear terminology. Super bummed I did not drop the class.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:52 am

whats an updog wrote:Jurisprudence is like a foreign language to me. Do not know what any of the text means or what Schauer is even talking about. Probably a defense mechanism, but I am convinced that whatever is being said could actually be said using more concise and clear terminology. Super bummed I did not drop the class.

Sounds about right.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:53 am

whats an updog wrote:Jurisprudence is like a foreign language to me. Do not know what any of the text means or what Schauer is even talking about. Probably a defense mechanism, but I am convinced that whatever is being said could actually be said using more concise and clear terminology. Super bummed I did not drop the class.

The only thing that makes the lecture harder is that he doesn't do much explanation of background concepts or basic terminology that is new. He spends the lecture going over the big topics for that week, and those issues he explains clearly, but you might be lost if you don't have the basics.

If you don't understand the material/lecture one week, just zone out. You only need to pay attention enough to write six response papers. Pick something that seems comprehensible to you, work harder that week, write a paper, done.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:59 pm

Regarding financial aid, they disburse it once a semester right? As in I'll get more money in my bank account in Spring or did they give it to me all ready?

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:14 pm

anon sequitur wrote:

The only thing that makes the lecture harder is that he doesn't do much explanation of background concepts or basic terminology that is new. He spends the lecture going over the big topics for that week, and those issues he explains clearly, but you might be lost if you don't have the basics.

If you don't understand the material/lecture one week, just zone out. You only need to pay attention enough to write six response papers. Pick something that seems comprehensible to you, work harder that week, write a paper, done.

Definitely the plan. Hopefully there will be some prompts that I understand.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:33 pm

Br3v wrote:Regarding financial aid, they disburse it once a semester right? As in I'll get more money in my bank account in Spring or did they give it to me all ready?

More in Spring.

North

Postby North » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:10 am

Rutherglen is so chill, favorite prof so far this semester

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:30 pm

North wrote:Rutherglen is so chill, favorite prof so far this semester

To be fair, you sleep through all of your classes, so that's probably the only professor you've met so far.

North

Postby North » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:48 pm

First Offense wrote:

To be fair, you sleep through all of your classes, so that's probably the only professor you've met so far.

(two days of classes this week)
(takes a personal day)

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:44 pm

North wrote:
First Offense wrote:

(two days of classes this week)
(takes a personal day)

#3LOL

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”