UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
5ky

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:32 pm

No, I don't think any law school is worth it at sticker

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:12 pm

is stacking a lot of non-exam classes (Advanced Legal Research, Issues in Fed Civ Pro, Jurisprudence) a bad idea or will it be fine?

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:51 pm

whats an updog wrote:is stacking a lot of non-exam classes (Advanced Legal Research, Issues in Fed Civ Pro, Jurisprudence) a bad idea or will it be fine?

I mean, too many paper classes (as in research paper classes) can be just as much work, if not more. If they're "response" papers though?

Fuckin' A man, you do you.

RobertBets

Postby RobertBets » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:27 pm

The school website says it has produced the most SCOTUS clerks in recent years of any school other than HYS. Why do you think they beat out "higher-ranked" schools like CCN? Is it mostly luck/ individual ability/connections or is there something innate about UVA that justices like?

swampman

Postby swampman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:02 pm

RobertBets wrote:The school website says it has produced the most SCOTUS clerks in recent years of any school other than HYS. Why do you think they beat out "higher-ranked" schools like CCN? Is it mostly luck/ individual ability/connections or is there something innate about UVA that justices like?

Conservatives.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:12 pm

First Offense wrote:
whats an updog wrote:is stacking a lot of non-exam classes (Advanced Legal Research, Issues in Fed Civ Pro, Jurisprudence) a bad idea or will it be fine?

I mean, too many paper classes (as in research paper classes) can be just as much work, if not more. If they're "response" papers though?

Fuckin' A man, you do you.

One is a paper and two are response paper types. So I guess I'll go for it - thanks man.

swampman wrote:
RobertBets wrote:The school website says it has produced the most SCOTUS clerks in recent years of any school other than HYS. Why do you think they beat out "higher-ranked" schools like CCN? Is it mostly luck/ individual ability/connections or is there something innate about UVA that justices like?

Conservatives.

I don't really know how our faculty compares relative to CCN in terms of former clerks, but out of my 6 doctrinal classes in 1L, 4 of them were taught by former Supreme Court clerks. Those connections probably don't hurt.

potatoes

Postby potatoes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:10 am

xylocarp wrote:I didn't find any places with multiple eyebrow-specific reviews, which is worrisome because a place can be good at waxing in general but still do eyebrows way too thin. These are the important issues in my life right now.

I tried out Oasis on Water Street yesterday. They did a good job, but were pretty pricey. I have sensitive skin & I am still a little red/might have a few bumps for a little bit, but she didn't make my eyebrows too thin. That's literally my greatest beauty fear is somebody screwing up my eyebrows. Let me know if you find somewhere better! I've noticed there aren't tons of Yelp reviews for most places here so it's a little difficult to find things.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:37 am

swampman wrote:

Conservatives.

This and, IMO, I think they like UVA's grading system. It's very transparent compared to some of the other schools and UVA professors have no qualms with giving out A+ grades. It makes it easier to see who is at the very tippy top compared to many of the other top 14 schools.

Borscht is Best

Postby Borscht is Best » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:06 am

I've got the following professors:

Civ Pro - Mitchell
Contracts - Harrison
Crim - Jeffries
Legal Writing - Fore
Torts - Kendrick

Any feedback on these professors would be appreciated!

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:20 am

Borscht is Best wrote:I've got the following professors:

Civ Pro - Mitchell
Contracts - Harrison
Crim - Jeffries
Legal Writing - Fore
Torts - Kendrick

Mitchell is hilarious and an all around favorite. He tends to be very friendly with the curve.
Harrison is more of a 'hide the ball' type of professor. Cold calls are always on random trivia, and very rarely on the case at hand. Less friendly with the curve, and does not give out many above median grades. Class is definitely entertaining.
Jeffries is absolutely amazing. Former dean of the law school, great lecturer, intense/intimidating cold calls, but all around nice man, very fair exams.
Fore is the new LRW professor, and he treats it a little more intensely than the other professors but it's still pass fail so YOLO.

rhododactylos

Postby rhododactylos » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Civ Pro - Mitchell
Contracts - Harrison
Crim - Jeffries
Legal Writing - Fore
Torts - Kendrick

I've had the first three of those and can echo most of what the above poster said. All three are brilliant but in very different ways.

Mitchell is a trial lawyer with a Southern twang and is one of the most fun professors at the law school. There's a lot of friendly back-and-forth between Mitchell and the class. Civ Pro is very dense but keep up with Mitchell's hypotheticals and you'll be fine.

Harrison is considered one of the 2 or 3 smartest people on the faculty and very jumpy and socially awkward. Be sure to take good notes in his class--he won't make sense while he is rambling but if you commit to staying with him, when you review your lecture notes at the end the cycle, you'll be able to "find the ball" that he spent the entire semester hiding. His cold calls are random jeopardy-style trivia. Probably the most love-him-or-hate-him guy on your list.

Jeffries is, plain and simple, the man. He could have walked right out of a 1950's movie about law school. You will be terrified of him for about 2-3 weeks and then you will start to love him. Never go to that class without having done the reading.

I've never had Kendrick but I've heard she's very nice.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Civ Pro - Mitchell
Contracts - Harrison
Crim - Jeffries
Legal Writing - Fore
Torts - Kendrick

Rock star lineup. Kendrick is awesome - smart as hell, funny in a subtle way, and very fair.

RobertBets

Postby RobertBets » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:36 pm

swampman wrote:

Conservatives.

So I guess Chicago is no longer trusted as a conservative powerhouse by the justices?

swampman

Postby swampman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:51 pm

RobertBets wrote:
swampman wrote:

Conservatives.

So I guess Chicago is no longer trusted as a conservative powerhouse by the justices?

UVA Law has a much stronger conservative faculty than Chicago Law (according to Brian Leiter, a UChi professor). http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... lties.html

Many of our conservative professors have very close relationships with SC justices, and there's a large pool of very talented conservative students to send their way.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Bear in mind that the faculty is pretty big and, other than for 1L, you would pretty much never need to take a conservative or a liberal professor if you didn't want to.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:50 pm

albanach wrote:Bear in mind that the faculty is pretty big and, other than for 1L, you would pretty much never need to take a conservative or a liberal professor if you didn't want to.

Though any law student who would not take a professor for this reason probably doesn't belong in law school.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:04 am

swampman wrote:
RobertBets wrote:
swampman wrote:

Conservatives.

UVA Law has a much stronger conservative faculty than Chicago Law (according to Brian Leiter, a UChi professor). http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... lties.html

Many of our conservative professors have very close relationships with SC justices, and there's a large pool of very talented conservative students to send their way.

professors help, but i mean half of it is that wilkinson is the top conservative feeder and went to UVA and hires a ton from UVA, most of whom go on to SCOTUS clerk

uva is also super on point with their scotus shepherding and process

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Have any other grads have issues with UVA e-mail? I remember being told we keep the account for life, but it's been down for a number of weeks. I like the account because I like UVA, but I have some late payments and forms to submit for work because I can't get onto my account because the UVA server's been down since late July. Do we lose it after graduation?

Also has anyone successfully been able to get an official transcript? I keep on getting sent to the National Clearing House who sends me to the Bursar who sends me back to the National Clearing House. Any inside tips would be appreciated! This has been the biggest intellectual challenge of law school. Exams you can usually study for and look at it from both sides, but successfully obtaining an official transcript is a convoluted maze. Has anyone been able to accomplish this? If so, what's your secret? Thanks!
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jj2014

Postby jj2014 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:28 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Have any other grads have issues with UVA e-mail? I remember being told we keep the account for life, but it's been down for a number of weeks. I like the account because I like UVA, but I have some late payments and forms to submit for work because I can't get onto my account because the UVA server's been down since late July. Do we lose it after graduation?

They said the UVA computer systems are down for the next few days, so none of the UVA emails or websites are running this weekend. That doesn't explain the past few weeks not working for you though.

cmdcmd

Postby cmdcmd » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:05 pm

perfect_kraft wrote:Also, thoughts on Duffy vs. Woolhandler for Admin?

Woolhandler teaches a course on administrative law.

Duffy teaches admin as a class that could just as well have been entitled, "ConLaw II: The Administrative State." I enjoyed the hell out of it, but some people found the amount of time we spent on nondelegation vs. nuts and bolts stuff frustrating.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:57 pm

If only woolhander didn't want to teach at some godforsaken hour

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:22 pm

i got transcript sent just fine, don't remember anything about bursar but it's been a while. this is the link i used to do it and it was straightforward: http://www.virginia.edu/registrar/transcript.html - that link is down now with the rest of UVA's online presence, but should be back by this evening.

i've also had no problem sending or receiving email this weekend from my account despite the warning message i received friday. my friends from undergrad have all been sending emails from their accounts and none of them got any warning email that the system would be down. maybe alumni email accounts of a certain vintage are on a different server or something.

is the account you're having issues with an alias account, e.g. something other than your computing id@virginia.edu? there's some odd shit with their aliases. i know of some alias@virginia.edu accounts that seem to be immortal, though the school always said those would only last until graduation. i also know of some alias@mail.virginia.edu accounts that got terminated, though the school always said they would last forever. if you're still having issues monday with your computingid@virginia.edu account or an alias@mail.virginia.edu account, i'd hit up the eservices help people.

Just

Postby Just » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Would taking three paper seminars be too much for a semester? Haven't taken one before.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Just wrote:Would taking three paper seminars be too much for a semester? Haven't taken one before.

If you trust yourself to work on them a little during the semester then no, i don't think that would be an issue.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:36 am

Anyone have a copy of the book for the Negotiation Institute that I could borrow for those 2 weeks? It's at the book store for like $65 and I'm not really trying to spend that :D

The book is Craver, Skills & Values: Legal Negotiating (2nd ed. 2012)

PM me if so -- thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”