UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby swampman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:56 pm

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:After reviewing clerkship applications from UVA students, I can safely say that the top 25% mark is nowhere near a 3.48, which is what UVA reported as the top 25% right before they changed the grading policy. I can't say it with any certainty, but I would say that top 25% is more like a ~3.6. Ah... grade inflation, gotta love it. Not like it really matters anyways, most recommenders tell the Judge exactly where the student stands in their class.

You should send this insight to Above the Law.

jimmythecatdied6
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:17 pm

I have zero interest in communicating anything to ATL.

jimmythecatdied6
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:34 pm

The top 1/3 for rising 3Ls is 3.54 (or thereabouts).

My guess is that top 1/3 for rising 2Ls would be something like a ~3.5, and the top 1/4 would be more like a ~3.6.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6380
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Do UVA transcripts still say a 3.48 is top 25%? That'd obviously be wrong.

But other than that, this isn't really news, since all of UVa's grades leaked online last year. You can find the ATL story easily.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby xylocarp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:30 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Anyone have a favorite waxing place in Cville, especially for sensitive skin?


Seriously, it's all grades grades grades with you guys, and no one is answering the important Qs.

Really though. Nobody has their priorities straight

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:40 pm

5ky wrote:Do UVA transcripts still say a 3.48 is top 25%?


No

User avatar
andthenIwaslike
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:39 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby andthenIwaslike » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:09 pm

xylocarp wrote:
andthenIwaslike wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Anyone have a favorite waxing place in Cville, especially for sensitive skin?


Seriously, it's all grades grades grades with you guys, and no one is answering the important Qs.

Really though. Nobody has their priorities straight


After being ignored here, I consulted the always-reliable Yelp and made an appointment at Holladay Spa. Will report back.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby xylocarp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:56 pm

I didn't find any places with multiple eyebrow-specific reviews, which is worrisome because a place can be good at waxing in general but still do eyebrows way too thin. These are the important issues in my life right now.

User avatar
cornerstone
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby cornerstone » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:43 pm

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:After reviewing clerkship applications from UVA students, I can safely say that the top 25% mark is nowhere near a 3.48, which is what UVA reported as the top 25% right before they changed the grading policy. I can't say it with any certainty, but I would say that top 25% is more like a ~3.6. Ah... grade inflation, gotta love it. Not like it really matters anyways, most recommenders tell the Judge exactly where the student stands in their class.


*Top 25% of clerkship applications... I know lawyers don't like math but sampling bias is a thing

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:48 pm

cornerstone wrote:
jimmythecatdied6 wrote:After reviewing clerkship applications from UVA students, I can safely say that the top 25% mark is nowhere near a 3.48, which is what UVA reported as the top 25% right before they changed the grading policy. I can't say it with any certainty, but I would say that top 25% is more like a ~3.6. Ah... grade inflation, gotta love it. Not like it really matters anyways, most recommenders tell the Judge exactly where the student stands in their class.


*Top 25% of clerkship applications... I know lawyers don't like math but sampling bias is a thing


Yeah I dont even know how they would have an accurate understanding of the distribution for clerkship applicants, let alone all 300+ students.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6380
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:56 pm

The numbers are accurate, but it's old news

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/06/oops-top-law-school-email-screw-up-reveals-grades-ranks-of-all-clerkship-applicants/

The second page has a breakdown of the numbers. But those are for rising 3Ls, so it's a bit higher than 1Ls.

Wahoowa18
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Wahoowa18 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:36 pm

Hey all, was looking up info on parking and wanted to confirm my understanding. It looks like the closest lot to the law school that students can get a parking permit for is D3 which looking on the map appears kind of far and not adjacent to the law school. The D2, D5, and D22 lots look much more convenient but it appears that these are not an option, is that correct? If D3 is really the only lot, it looks like I have an option for a blue/commuter parking permit as well (not sure how this is different than a D3 permit). It looks like the blue pass is cheaper and there's one right close to D3 lot anyways, so would it be better to just do that?

Are there any possible/practical law school parking alternatives that I'm not considering here (i.e. nearby street parking or nearby residents who rent out their parking spots/passes)?

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6432
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:55 pm

It's not far at all. Also - it's not impossible to just park on Arlington (although get there early every day if you're going to try and pull that off).

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby swampman » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:39 pm

First Offense wrote:Also - it's not impossible to just park on Arlington (although get there early every day if you're going to try and pull that off).

Though a lot of the people who tried to do that this winter had a very bad time.

MC819
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:32 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby MC819 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:18 pm

Piggybacking on this - I'm confused by the parking info online. Can we buy D3 permits yet or not?

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:10 pm

Don't do the extremely close lot where you have to silent bid or whatever, that's a waste. The second closest lot is where most people park. The slightly further lot is a little bit of a walk (~4 minirs from car to door) but fine. Finding spots on arlington is relatively easy but idk about every day (especially as a 1L) and certainly not in the winter when it's covered in snow

Wahoowa18
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Wahoowa18 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:59 pm

Br3v wrote:Don't do the extremely close lot where you have to silent bid or whatever, that's a waste. The second closest lot is where most people park. The slightly further lot is a little bit of a walk (~4 minirs from car to door) but fine. Finding spots on arlington is relatively easy but idk about every day (especially as a 1L) and certainly not in the winter when it's covered in snow


I think you're referring to the blue lot when you say the slightly further lot? I think I'm inclined to do this lot as it's only $19/month versus $46/month for the D3 lot and the D3 lot really doesn't look that much closer on the map. However, the blue lot that's close to the law school looks pretty tiny on the map and I was somewhat concerned that this lot could fill up sometimes. Does anyone know if that blue lot runs out of parking and how often? Also, more generally, how much of an issue is parking at the law school?

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Wahoowa18 wrote:
Br3v wrote:Don't do the extremely close lot where you have to silent bid or whatever, that's a waste. The second closest lot is where most people park. The slightly further lot is a little bit of a walk (~4 minirs from car to door) but fine. Finding spots on arlington is relatively easy but idk about every day (especially as a 1L) and certainly not in the winter when it's covered in snow


I think you're referring to the blue lot when you say the slightly further lot? I think I'm inclined to do this lot as it's only $19/month versus $46/month for the D3 lot and the D3 lot really doesn't look that much closer on the map. However, the blue lot that's close to the law school looks pretty tiny on the map and I was somewhat concerned that this lot could fill up sometimes. Does anyone know if that blue lot runs out of parking and how often? Also, more generally, how much of an issue is parking at the law school?


Idk what the Lots are called but one lot is like 0-50 yards from the door (you have to bid, don't do it), the next closest is like 50-200 yards from the door (a lot of people do this, easy walk) and the next closest is like 300-400 yards from the door and is a slightly longer walk.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby xylocarp » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Br3v wrote:
Wahoowa18 wrote:
Br3v wrote:Don't do the extremely close lot where you have to silent bid or whatever, that's a waste. The second closest lot is where most people park. The slightly further lot is a little bit of a walk (~4 minirs from car to door) but fine. Finding spots on arlington is relatively easy but idk about every day (especially as a 1L) and certainly not in the winter when it's covered in snow


I think you're referring to the blue lot when you say the slightly further lot? I think I'm inclined to do this lot as it's only $19/month versus $46/month for the D3 lot and the D3 lot really doesn't look that much closer on the map. However, the blue lot that's close to the law school looks pretty tiny on the map and I was somewhat concerned that this lot could fill up sometimes. Does anyone know if that blue lot runs out of parking and how often? Also, more generally, how much of an issue is parking at the law school?


Idk what the Lots are called but one lot is like 0-50 yards from the door (you have to bid, don't do it), the next closest is like 50-200 yards from the door (a lot of people do this, easy walk) and the next closest is like 300-400 yards from the door and is a slightly longer walk.

I think you're talking about D22 as the closest lot with the bidding process. Then there's D3 which is more expensive than blue, and any law students can get them this year (as opposed to the lottery process with 2Ls and 3Ls and then 1Ls if there were any left, which was the process every year up until now, I think). Then there's blue, which is farther and less expensive than D3.

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6432
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:25 pm

Good luck 2Ls and still hunting 3Ls.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:03 am

xylocarp wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Wahoowa18 wrote:
Br3v wrote:Don't do the extremely close lot where you have to silent bid or whatever, that's a waste. The second closest lot is where most people park. The slightly further lot is a little bit of a walk (~4 minirs from car to door) but fine. Finding spots on arlington is relatively easy but idk about every day (especially as a 1L) and certainly not in the winter when it's covered in snow


I think you're referring to the blue lot when you say the slightly further lot? I think I'm inclined to do this lot as it's only $19/month versus $46/month for the D3 lot and the D3 lot really doesn't look that much closer on the map. However, the blue lot that's close to the law school looks pretty tiny on the map and I was somewhat concerned that this lot could fill up sometimes. Does anyone know if that blue lot runs out of parking and how often? Also, more generally, how much of an issue is parking at the law school?


Idk what the Lots are called but one lot is like 0-50 yards from the door (you have to bid, don't do it), the next closest is like 50-200 yards from the door (a lot of people do this, easy walk) and the next closest is like 300-400 yards from the door and is a slightly longer walk.

I think you're talking about D22 as the closest lot with the bidding process. Then there's D3 which is more expensive than blue, and any law students can get them this year (as opposed to the lottery process with 2Ls and 3Ls and then 1Ls if there were any left, which was the process every year up until now, I think). Then there's blue, which is farther and less expensive than D3.
You are going to spend a lot of time sitting as a law student (and as a lawyer). It can't hurt to force yourself to walk a little further in the mornings than you would otherwise normally want. You can always move your car after 5:30/6:00pm to one of the closer lots if you are going to be staying later. The walking distance isn't that much further but you'll be thankful later on for having a more active walk to school (even if it's just 2 minutes longer).

User avatar
Nothing but the Funk
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Tried looking through this thread for info on professors and found most of what I needed. Any info on Heytens for Civpro or Bonnie for Crim?

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby swampman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:06 pm

Nothing but the Funk wrote:Tried looking through this thread for info on professors and found most of what I needed. Any info on Heytens for Civpro or Bonnie for Crim?

Don't know anything about them, but if you just want to know what's in store for you then check "completed course evaluations" on Lawweb. Evaluations are written before exams, so not particularly useful in that respect, but still interesting to check out.

RobertBets
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby RobertBets » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:25 pm

Is UVA worth sticker?

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby swampman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:06 pm

RobertBets wrote:Is UVA worth sticker?

The answer depends entirely on what you mean by "worth" it, what you want to do, and what your other options are, but this isn't the right thread to discuss that. You'll find a dozen threads discussing that using the search function. If you have more specific questions about UVA and the job opportunities graduates have, we can answer those here.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests