UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
perfect_kraft

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby perfect_kraft » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:03 am

Now that the book is gone, can others comment on professors willing to give out A+? Obviously, an A+ will still be hard to get but I have heard some professors categorically refuse to give them (either to 1L classes, or just period).

Johnson and Cohen will. Specifically interested in: Duffy, Woolhandler, Mason, Collins, Jeffries, and Nelson but will take any other anecdotal information folks can share.

Also, thoughts on Duffy vs. Woolhandler for Admin?

rhododactylos

Postby rhododactylos » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:05 pm

perfect_kraft wrote:Now that the book is gone, can others comment on professors willing to give out A+? Obviously, an A+ will still be hard to get but I have heard some professors categorically refuse to give them (either to 1L classes, or just period).

Johnson and Cohen will. Specifically interested in: Duffy, Woolhandler, Mason, Collins, Jeffries, and Nelson but will take any other anecdotal information folks can share.

Jeffries gave at least one A+ in his 1L class last year and is known for one of the widest curves at the law school. Anecdotally, I have also heard of Harrison giving A+'s in his non-1L classes, but he has an extremely narrow curve for 1L's. I believe Nelson has a reputation for a narrow curve as well but don't know if he categorically refuses to give A+'s.

cornerstone

Postby cornerstone » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:10 pm

perfect_kraft wrote:Now that the book is gone, can others comment on professors willing to give out A+? Obviously, an A+ will still be hard to get but I have heard some professors categorically refuse to give them (either to 1L classes, or just period).

Curious about Duffy as well

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:15 pm

maybe it was just the daydrinking but dugas' email mildly pissed me off

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:27 am

What did it say?

swampman

Postby swampman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:27 am

Br3v wrote:What did it say?

A reminder that the course lottery is about to start. How dare he.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:50 am

I'm high strung I guess

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:43 pm

In regards to Curtis' Corps, he said that it would be beneficial for me to take the Finance/Accounting set of courses since I have no other background. Currently enrolled but looking at the instructor evaluations they are not too hot and I'm thinking about dropping them. Confirmed that it's probably a waste of my time?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:56 pm

whats an updog wrote:In regards to Curtis' Corps, he said that it would be beneficial for me to take the Finance/Accounting set of courses since I have no other background. Currently enrolled but looking at the instructor evaluations they are not too hot and I'm thinking about dropping them. Confirmed that it's probably a waste of my time?

Totally unnecessary unless the course has drastically changed.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on Animal Law with Riley and Trademarks with Bagley?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:20 am

5ky wrote:
whats an updog wrote:In regards to Curtis' Corps, he said that it would be beneficial for me to take the Finance/Accounting set of courses since I have no other background. Currently enrolled but looking at the instructor evaluations they are not too hot and I'm thinking about dropping them. Confirmed that it's probably a waste of my time?

Totally unnecessary unless the course has drastically changed.
FTFY.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:32 pm

Anyone have a favorite waxing place in Cville, especially for sensitive skin?

smile0751

Postby smile0751 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:05 am

How about a good tailor for female clothes or hair salon?

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:26 am

perfect_kraft wrote:Now that the book is gone, can others comment on professors willing to give out A+?

Folks, I'm struggling here. Why is this still an issue?

You're among the brightest of your generation, and grade distribution curves are valuable to your education choices. You are training to be lawyers.

UVA is a public school. They are subject to Virginia's Freedom of Information statute. If you want the book back, ask for it.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:44 pm

albanach wrote:
perfect_kraft wrote:Now that the book is gone, can others comment on professors willing to give out A+?

Folks, I'm struggling here. Why is this still an issue?

You're among the brightest of your generation, and grade distribution curves are valuable to your education choices. You are training to be lawyers.

UVA is a public school. They are subject to Virginia's Freedom of Information statute. If you want the book back, ask for it.

Because the VFOIA statute has specific exemptions for academic records?

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:56 pm

sundance95 wrote:Because the VFOIA statute has specific exemptions for academic records?

§ 2.2-3705.4 (1) has an exception for personally identifiable academic records. The book didn't contain anything that would identify a student.

They could argue the information is proprietary under (4) but it excludes anything that was previously publicly available. The grade book was publicly available.

Exactly which statutory exception do you think is a problem?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:06 pm

it's a stupid endeavor because that change was clearly part of the profs' willingness to accept the "curve up to the median gpa entering the class", which was more helpful to our grades than knowing past distributions by a magnitude of 10 [at least until ruth blew our cover]

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:49 pm

sprezz wrote:it's a stupid endeavor because that change was clearly part of the profs' willingness to accept the "curve up to the median gpa entering the class", which was more helpful to our grades than knowing past distributions by a magnitude of 10 [at least until ruth blew our cover]

I don't think there's been a dramatic surge in higher grades as a result of that change. Also, there are very different reasons for wanting to know an individual professor's curve. You may want to learn something that's outside your primary interests, and are more comfortable with that risk if the professor has a heavy bias towards B+. You may be gunning for VLR and so knowing a professor gives A+s is valuable. Neither of these examples (and there are others too) are helped by the median change a couple of years ago.

Of course it may be true that, if your solitary focus through school is gpa, then perhaps the change is much more valuable to you. But I know that many students found the removal of the grade book to be troubling when choosing classes and would have traded back for the old fixed(ish) median.

If the premise in changing the curve really was that grades wouldn't be available for scrutiny, that seems foolhardy in the extreme when the school is subject to FOIA requests.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:26 pm

I think people get way too worked up about the grade distribution sometimes. Okay, there are always a few people who are gunning for SCOTUS that want to take professors who give out an A+ or three, but in general this won't really effect you.

That and it is not like the professors always follow the same curve. I know for a fact that some professors have slammed a student or two for just not showing up to class or for a truly terrible exam, but most of the professors who are hardcore are fairly well known. Your best bet is to take classes you actually care about or are interesting so that you don't procrastinate studying for the exam until finals start - I recommend not doing this for Fed Courts with Jeffries. I took classes from a wide range of professors and can't say that I ever received a grade that I thought was patently unfair.

I will, however, put out a list of professors that I think are great to take and generally don't seem to punish students, at least in my experience.

Professor Woolhandler - I think she teaches well and is very well prepared. I've never heard of anyone complaining about either her teaching or grading. I'm not sure she gave out a grade under a B+ in her admin law class.

Julia Mahoney - I think she is a fun teacher, even if some people think she is dry, and always gives an extremely fair exam. There will always be some kind of a question that is fairly difficult - it's normally a policy question - and at least one softball issue spotter. She also grades very fairly and I've never heard of her punishing anyone with a bad grade. She also tends to give students more than enough time to finish her exams, which can be nice for people who are not Speed Racer.

Professor Nelson - One of my favorite professors at UVA. He is off the wall brilliant and just an extremely humble and kind man. I realize a lot of people will avoid him because he teaches "gunner" classes, but I think he is a gem. I also am fairly certain that he does not slam students with extremely poor marks.

Professor Hynes: He is another whip smart guy and teaches mostly transactional based classes (corporate finance, consumer law,etc.). His exams are tough in that you will likely be pressed for time, but I have found him to be a fair grader and extremely helpful in and out of class.

Professor Armacost: She is another very nice professor, but is fairly strict about how she runs the classroom. I admit this can be a turn off for some people, but she is another gem IMHO. I also think she is a fair grader and not one to punish students.

Professor Barzun: He has a sense of humor that can grate on some people, but I think he is generally a pretty good guy. HIs exams will probably force you to type 100 WPM, so I would be aware of that going in. Regardless, I think he is another fair grader and generally won't "hurt" students to "help" other students.

Professor Verdier: Would take his banking class again just to hear him say Omaha. Very smart guy but he has an accent - he is a French Canadian. I never had a problem understanding him, but I suppose someone could.. maybe. I think his exams are tough just because of the subject material he teaches. Very nice guy and is more than willing to help you out after class.

Professor Harmon: I love her. I suppose some people might not. She can really get into the material and is another whip smart professor. Her exams will make you type 100 WPM, but I felt they were fair and not overly hide the ballish. If you want to take law and the police or crim pro I would recommend her. Not sure if she even teaches anything else. She also makes class fun, but I know some people can be intimidated by her cold calling.

These are obviously not the only great professors at UVA, but they are least the ones that I would recommend in a heartbeat to current students.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:08 pm

verdier's banking class sucks. there's a ton of material that is very hard, and then like 40-50% of our exam was some policy question based on a few articles we were assigned the last week of class. it was dumb.

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:41 pm

xylocarp wrote:Anyone have a favorite waxing place in Cville, especially for sensitive skin?

Seriously, it's all grades grades grades with you guys, and no one is answering the important Qs.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:55 pm

5ky wrote:verdier's banking class sucks. there's a ton of material that is very hard, and then like 40-50% of our exam was some policy question based on a few articles we were assigned the last week of class. it was dumb.

I can only speak to when I took the class. The material is difficult, but that isn't really his fault. I also like banking, so I will admit to being really biased.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:59 pm

UVAIce wrote:
5ky wrote:verdier's banking class sucks. there's a ton of material that is very hard, and then like 40-50% of our exam was some policy question based on a few articles we were assigned the last week of class. it was dumb.

I can only speak to when I took the class. The material is difficult, but that isn't really his fault. I also like banking, so I will admit to being really biased.

yeah i didn't mind the hard material, and he really was a good prof. it just sucked to have spent the time to learn it all for the exam and not get tested on any of it. it was probably the least fair exam i took at UVA, all things considered.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:03 pm

5ky wrote:
UVAIce wrote:

yeah i didn't mind the hard material, and he really was a good prof. it just sucked to have spent the time to learn it all for the exam and not get tested on any of it. it was probably the least fair exam i took at UVA, all things considered.

I hate it when that happens. I am going to assume he took some criticism to heart, because the exam my year felt fairly spread out over the class material. But the thing that does suck about that class is that there is so much ground that is covered in a semester.

But you know what, better that than doing 2 long essays and a case comparison list for Jeffries in fed courts.

jimmythecatdied6

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:19 pm

After reviewing clerkship applications from UVA students, I can safely say that the top 25% mark is nowhere near a 3.48, which is what UVA reported as the top 25% right before they changed the grading policy. I can't say it with any certainty, but I would say that top 25% is more like a ~3.6. Ah... grade inflation, gotta love it. Not like it really matters anyways, most recommenders tell the Judge exactly where the student stands in their class.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”