UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chaptstick1

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby chaptstick1 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:42 am

So based on these responses is the consensus that corporations with Quinn is OK to take without any business background and preferable to corps with Kordana. Just don't want to find myself in over my head... Thanks.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:20 pm

chaptstick1 wrote:So based on these responses is the consensus that corporations with Quinn is OK to take without any business background and preferable to corps with Kordana. Just don't want to find myself in over my head... Thanks.
I took corporations and sec reg with him and had friends who did the same with no finance/accounting background. They all did B+ or better (most did better). It’s honestly just “difficult” because of the nature of the class itself (statutory for sec reg, broad breadth of material in corps). His exams are issue spotters and are probably the fairest exams I have taken in law school.

Kordana is a compete wildcard and his exams/grading are known to be very arbitrary.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:07 pm

Yardbird wrote:
whats an updog wrote:Anyone done an independent research project for the writing requirement?
I’m doing mine that way this fall.

How did you go about it? Just get in good with a professor on a topic you wanted to expand? Is it usually something that will end up being for publication?

Butter

Postby Butter » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:02 pm

Last edited by Butter on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asundialwatch

Postby asundialwatch » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:06 pm

How likely is Gilbert's legislation class to be full of super gunners? Also, thoughts on his classes generally?

Edited to add: Also, thoughts on Hayashi vs. Mason for Fed Income Tax?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:59 pm

I thought Gilbert was pretty cool, but I took him for Law and Economics, which was a great, great class (3 midterms instead of a final, you're done on the last day of classes, pretty easy B+, A- if you put in a bit of effort/attention).

Mason is good lecturer, clear expectations, her exam was 100% multiple choice. It's tax so it's boring, but she is into it and makes the class as good as you could reasonably hope for. I've also heard Hiyashi is good so probably can't go wrong.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:25 am

whats an updog wrote:
Yardbird wrote:
whats an updog wrote:Anyone done an independent research project for the writing requirement?
I’m doing mine that way this fall.

How did you go about it? Just get in good with a professor on a topic you wanted to expand? Is it usually something that will end up being for publication?
Clarifying that I’m doing it this fall.

I’m doing it with a prof that I have taken twice and did well with both times. The courses I took with him also fall nicely into what I want to research/write about. My intention is to do the independent study and then convert it into my note requirement for my journal (and also submit it to VLR because why not?). The key thing is that it you are satisfying the writing requirement and getting a grade, you can’t have anyone else peer review it until after you submit it for grading. I’ll likely send my writing out to some other professors, as well as some partners and associates at my firm after I submit for grading but before I submit to the journals.

cornerstone

Postby cornerstone » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Is it true that most profs will give out an A for a reasonable effort in independent research? I heard from someone that it's a quick way to boost or maintain your GPA since independent studies aren't held to a curve.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:30 pm

yes.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:26 pm

It's true but it definitely depends on the professor; you'll have to sniff around.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:01 pm

asundialwatch wrote:Edited to add: Also, thoughts on Hayashi vs. Mason for Fed Income Tax?

also interested in this

olive16

Postby olive16 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:29 pm

cornerstone wrote:Is it true that most profs will give out an A for a reasonable effort in independent research? I heard from someone that it's a quick way to boost or maintain your GPA since independent studies aren't held to a curve.

generally true but i know at least 2 people who got burned because their profs ended up being hardasses.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:41 am

out the hardass profs! out the hardass profs!!

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:40 pm

sprezz wrote:out the hardass profs! out the hardass profs!!

haha +1

orchid1

Postby orchid1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi, I have a quick question for current students -- what do people typically do during the fall break (is it common/feasible to leave campus for it or do you think for first year at least it's better to stay around)?

Thanks so much!

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:00 pm

lots of people go on trips for fall break, 1Ls included, to a nearby city or home or whatever. It's completely fine to do or not do.

swampman

Postby swampman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:05 pm

orchid1 wrote:Hi, I have a quick question for current students -- what do people typically do during the fall break (is it common/feasible to leave campus for it or do you think for first year at least it's better to stay around)?

Thanks so much!

It's definitely feasible, for social reasons I was happy to stay around, but if you have a fun trip you want to take then go for it. Thanksgiving break is a tougher call. I stayed on campus to study for finals, and it was 100% the right decision for me, but other people might do better taking a mental break for a couple days.

orchid1

Postby orchid1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Okay awesome, thank you both so much for your replies! :)

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:42 pm

Any advice on potentially taking Nelson's Fed Courts as a 3L? (and shooting for a B+?)
Edit: if I took it, it would be for a total of 12 hours first semester.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Interested in info about Nelson's Fed Courts as well.

Also wondering if more J-term courses are for sure going to be added later.. I want to add a credit or two since I'm planning to stick around next winter, but neither of the offered courses so far interest me.

rhododactylos

Postby rhododactylos » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:55 pm

whats an updog wrote:Also wondering if more J-term courses are for sure going to be added later.. I want to add a credit or two since I'm planning to stick around next winter, but neither of the offered courses so far interest me.

LawWeb's Current Courses page lists 9 J-term courses as of now. Using past years as a guide there will probably be a few more added before all is said and done.

On that subject, does anyone have thoughts on Geis/Esterhay's Applied Problem Solving J-term class? I've heard that Geis should be on my law school bucket list.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:07 pm

When is the 3L lottery? Related, but how do you announce an upcoming lottery and not include the date/time in the fucking email?

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:12 pm

First Offense wrote:When is the 3L lottery? Related, but how do you announce an upcoming lottery and not include the date/time in the fucking email?

It started at noon today and lasts through 11:59 pm on Sunday (the 19th)

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:18 pm

rhododactylos wrote:
whats an updog wrote:Also wondering if more J-term courses are for sure going to be added later.. I want to add a credit or two since I'm planning to stick around next winter, but neither of the offered courses so far interest me.

LawWeb's Current Courses page lists 9 J-term courses as of now. Using past years as a guide there will probably be a few more added before all is said and done.

On that subject, does anyone have thoughts on Geis/Esterhay's Applied Problem Solving J-term class? I've heard that Geis should be on my law school bucket list.

guess i shouldve checked again before posting - thanks

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:43 pm

Mack12 wrote:
First Offense wrote:When is the 3L lottery? Related, but how do you announce an upcoming lottery and not include the date/time in the fucking email?

It started at noon today and lasts through 11:59 pm on Sunday (the 19th)

Thanks.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”