AReasonableMan wrote: whats an updog wrote: AReasonableMan wrote: whats an updog wrote: AReasonableMan wrote:
whats an updog wrote:
roger that, thanks for the advice
If you aren't interested in clerking, and your goal 2nd and 3rd year is simply not to bomb then Curtis classes are fantastic because (1) the man is brilliant and will teach you a lot, and (2) his larger classes attract of LLM's who are unfairly placed on the same curve. As his exams are all time crunchers with lots of issues and questions, this creates an even bigger disadvantage for non-fluent speakers than other exams. The consequence of this is you could get a B+ coming into the exam outlineless and not knowing any law, but pull a B+ just by arguing things like reasonableness and notice. While his intellectual depth makes the class hard to follow if you fall behind, it's really a win-win gamble because the curve is so slanted at the bottom that you don't need to know any law to pull median.
So are you saying that it's unlikely to pull anything more than a B+?
Opposite. If you make a good faith effort the sky is the limit. When 20% of the class has a 2 page test on 3 of 100 issues there's no need to give any of the remaining 80% under a B irrespective of how terrible their exams are. There are going to be some really smart people with advanced financial backgrounds who are passionate about the subject matter, but the aforementioned loophole in the curve makes it next to impossible for any JD student to do all that poorly on an issue spotting securities exam.
aight, i was just confused cuz of your clerking comment
so, curtis's corporations class does require some jiggery pokery requisites, can i just phone that in by asking him to allow me in the class or is it FOR REAL
I think it is probably harder to get an A in law and business classes without having taken the prerequisites and without prior work experience. Even if a test is written to filter out the need to know anything other than the law, it's still an advantage to have been able to visualize how the laws apply to real life. I'm not saying it's impossible to get an A in M&A without knowing what M&A is beforehand, just that you have a disadvantage
This is true for just about any class in law school, but I don't think it should inform what classes you take. If you take a class like Presidential Powers or a class on a particular narrow topic of constitutional law then there is always going to be the one person who probably doesn't need to take the class in the first place. But I think that's true in a lot of topics and shouldn't stop you from taking a class like corporations. Also, as may already be apparent, I think this is true for all
law school classes regardless of whether they are law and business classes or not. Take classes you think will be helpful or that you just find interesting.