UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
soullesswonder

Silver

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by soullesswonder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:25 pm

TigerBeer wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:GRADES ARE UP!

Fo' real, y'all.
Some grades. I still have one left to release.
same. no new grades here, still waiting on the last one. unless bgdddymtty was just messing with us.

my cardiovascular health is suffering
Just to clarify, I did pick up another grade, so this new release is actually happening.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:27 pm

TigerBeer wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:GRADES ARE UP!

Fo' real, y'all.
Some grades. I still have one left to release.
same. no new grades here, still waiting on the last one. unless bgdddymtty was just messing with us.

my cardiovascular health is suffering
I wouldn't mess around about something as stressful as this.

For me, the wait is over. I remain confederate in the plight of my brothers (and sisters) in arms. Viva la contra-Bennett revolucion!

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:40 pm

I feel like this is something I should know but excuse my ignorance. :oops: I have been reading the past couple of pages on this thread, and I've noticed that there appears to be a difference between Evaluations and Grades. Could someone please briefly explain?

Thanks

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:47 pm

Well, looks like my information was a tad off.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:58 pm

LLB2JD wrote:I feel like this is something I should know but excuse my ignorance. :oops: I have been reading the past couple of pages on this thread, and I've noticed that there appears to be a difference between Evaluations and Grades. Could someone please briefly explain?

Thanks
"Evaluations" = Student evaluations of the professors, available publicly to the student body on the Law School's LawWeb system. Students submit these evaluations during the last week or two of classes, but they are traditionally not posted for public viewing until the professor has submitted grades and those grades are about to be posted on UVa's Student Information System.

Ergo our indignation when evals were posted without any grades to follow for 3 1/2 days. In the words of a classic jam from my high school days (DATING MYSELF!), "I feel like, yo, is this it? Is it really gonna happen?? Yes! And then POW! BANG! BOOM! Nothing. Why you teasing me?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:59 pm

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks bgdddymtty and YCRev

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:05 pm

The Achieve Of wrote:Does anyone know the high speed internet situation at Arlington Court Apartments?
There are no "Arlington Court Apartments" that I know of. There's Arlington Court Condos, which are located near the law school on Arlington Blvd.

The high speed internet situation there varies, because each unit is an individually-owned condo and may be outfitted differently by the owner. However, my experience was that you have two options for Internet access there. You can either get cable (Comcast is the local provider) or, possibly, DSL (the unit I was in hadn't had the wiring upgraded in 30 years and couldn't do DSL speeds, or something like that).

You'll have to ask the owner of the unit you're looking at to find out what's available there.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:07 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uvauvauva

New

Post by uvauvauva » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:37 pm

wtf. I hate professors who do not post grades.
<end rant>

sccjnthn

New

Post by sccjnthn » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Really underperformed this semester. Any thoughts on what happens to the bottom of the class? Don't really need big law but wondering whether it's time to just gun for state government jobs or are there midlaw type options still available?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 pm

sccjnthn wrote:Really underperformed this semester. Any thoughts on what happens to the bottom of the class? Don't really need big law but wondering whether it's time to just gun for state government jobs or are there midlaw type options still available?
Don't count yourself out yet but start building a resume that can get you a PI job ASAP. Make an appointment with the public service office too.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:36 pm

uvauvauva wrote:wtf. I hate professors who do not post grades.
<end rant>

Strong thesis statement. Needs more analysis, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:00 am

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:06 am

Has anybody checked out the job listing for Brown & Baker LLP on Symplicity? Besides the facts that the headline is "Investment Banking Associate" and that the text of the ad reads like it was written by a high school student, the firm appears to have zero presence on the Internet. In 2011. In the United States of America.

Sketchy much?

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:16 am

sccjnthn wrote:Really underperformed this semester. Any thoughts on what happens to the bottom of the class? Don't really need big law but wondering whether it's time to just gun for state government jobs or are there midlaw type options still available?
If you're a 1L (and I'm assuming that you are), definitely apply to state government jobs for your 1L summer. You can make some good connections. There will be UVA alums employed with many of these agencies who would be happy to give you a chance. State AG offices are a great place to start. The closer to VA, the more likely to find UVA alums. Think VA, MD, etc.

Midlaw is still available. Focus on home markets and large firms in small, non-sought-after markets (e.g., Baltimore, Buffalo, etc.). A lot of those firms would be happy to have UVA students regardless of grades. The hardest part will be convincing the firms you want to be there.

It's too late to join Moot Court, but it's not too late for Dillard and journal tryouts. Do both, and rock both. Your GPA has absolutely no correlation to predicting your ability to write on to Law Review. Go balls out that weekend and see if you can make it happen. If you do, your grades become that much less important.

But even if you don't make LR, it's not the end of the world. That said, you should try.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:56 am

showNprove wrote:It's too late to join Moot Court.
it is?? :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:57 am

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:11 am

is it necessary to be on a journal?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:22 am

showNprove wrote:
If you're a 1L (and I'm assuming that you are), definitely apply to state government jobs for your 1L summer. You can make some good connections. There will be UVA alums employed with many of these agencies who would be happy to give you a chance. State AG offices are a great place to start. The closer to VA, the more likely to find UVA alums. Think VA, MD, etc.

Midlaw is still available. Focus on home markets and large firms in small, non-sought-after markets (e.g., Baltimore, Buffalo, etc.). A lot of those firms would be happy to have UVA students regardless of grades. The hardest part will be convincing the firms you want to be there.

It's too late to join Moot Court, but it's not too late for Dillard and journal tryouts. Do both, and rock both. Your GPA has absolutely no correlation to predicting your ability to write on to Law Review. Go balls out that weekend and see if you can make it happen. If you do, your grades become that much less important.

But even if you don't make LR, it's not the end of the world. That said, you should try.
Hey shownprove thanks for this type of advice. All we here about on here are grades; thanks for giving advice about things that we can somewhat control to improve our employment prospects.

Can you give more advice about Assistant State attorney general positions? Regardless of grades I'm curious about these. They may provide a good stepping stone to an AUSA spot one day.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:22 am

what if u dont want to work for the govt...judicial internship?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:41 am

Other than Jeffries and the business law courses, what professors consistently give out A+ grades?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 am

BruceWayne wrote:Other than Jeffries and the business law courses, what professors consistently give out A+ grades?
Cohen. But he gives just as many Cs and C+s.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:30 am

yah i'd rather be in a class that /does not/ give out Cs...rather than one with many As. it's totally possible to pull off an A even if only a small percentage of ppl can, but it's comforting to know that if you bomb it can't get worse than B or B-

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:17 am

does mahoney give a+s for his contracts class?

I forgot...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”