UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Gold

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by 005618502 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:46 pm

So I could use some advice here. My girlfriend really wants to move to charlottesville with me. There is really no work for her there, it seems. She is a retail merchandising major, currently works under a buyer. The only thing she has found is an assistant buyer position in South Hill Virginia, which honestly looks like a podunt town pretty far away. She is now thinking about opening up a little clothes boutique. Does anyone think this would do well? is there to many/not enough? Any girls that want to weigh in on the opportunity/demand for this would be really appreciated.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:16 am

There are a good amount of boutiques already in the downtown mall. Maybe she should contact them and see if they need a manager or buyer. Not sure you're going to find business savvy advice in the law school thread though.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:20 am

desertlaw wrote:There are a good amount of boutiques already in the downtown mall. Maybe she should contact them and see if they need a manager or buyer. Not sure you're going to find business savvy advice in the law school thread though.
Yeah i figured man, thats actually a good idea. Just dont know what else she can do. Kind of annoying. I was excited about South Hill for her, until I read up on South hill lol

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:18 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
desertlaw wrote:There are a good amount of boutiques already in the downtown mall. Maybe she should contact them and see if they need a manager or buyer. Not sure you're going to find business savvy advice in the law school thread though.
Yeah i figured man, thats actually a good idea. Just dont know what else she can do. Kind of annoying. I was excited about South Hill for her, until I read up on South hill lol
My wife likes it here and I know other spouses/SO's who like it here, but probably a big reason is that they know it's only a temporary thing and that you don't have to live here the rest of your life. Work options might be slim, but if your spouse works part-time or less during law school, you probably won't regret it once you start your career and rarely see each other.

battle_tested

New

Post by battle_tested » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Is there any way I can get out of a summer associate position I accepted with a firm? I ended up getting an offer with another firm I would rather be with, but I accepted the position with firm 1 because the timetable they gave me to accept ended prior to my interview with firm 2.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:37 pm

battle_tested wrote:Is there any way I can get out of a summer associate position I accepted with a firm? I ended up getting an offer with another firm I would rather be with, but I accepted the position with firm 1 because the timetable they gave me to accept ended prior to my interview with firm 2.
Talk to KD, but probably not. And I think you're a 1L, so you really probably should just keep your original offer.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:32 pm

battle_tested wrote:Is there any way I can get out of a summer associate position I accepted with a firm? I ended up getting an offer with another firm I would rather be with, but I accepted the position with firm 1 because the timetable they gave me to accept ended prior to my interview with firm 2.
You have a 3.25 gpa but got 2 firm offers for 1L summer? either you are a urm or you make the legal market out to be improving

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Um, no. More importantly, if you had already accepted the offer from firm 1, why did you interview at firm 2? That's pretty unethical if you had already accepted at firm 1 and, therefore, knew that you would not be able to accept an offer from firm 2.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:09 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Um, no. More importantly, if you had already accepted the offer from firm 1, why did you interview at firm 2? That's pretty unethical if you had already accepted at firm 1 and, therefore, knew that you would not be able to accept an offer from firm 2.
Disagree. If you back out of the job at firm 1, you will make them angry and potentially hurt your reputation as well as that firm's perception of UVA law students. That doesn't make it unethical, and it doesn't mean battle_tested shouldn't do it if firm 2 is truly a better opportunity.

That course of action could have a variety of negative consequences but that doesn't make it morally wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

battle_tested

New

Post by battle_tested » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Disagree. If you back out of the job at firm 1, you will make them angry and potentially hurt your reputation as well as that firm's perception of UVA law students. That doesn't make it unethical, and it doesn't mean battle_tested shouldn't do it if firm 2 is truly a better opportunity.

That course of action could have a variety of negative consequences but that doesn't make it morally wrong.
Thx for the responses. I'm just going to stay with the firm I accepted. I don't want to cause a bad rep for UVa or myself, especially because this is just a 1L job anyway.

AssumptionRequired: I actually had 3 offers. Non-urm. I do think the legal market is getting better but I also think I'm in the minority (especially given my GPA). My offers largely came down to 1)no one from UVa applies to the markets where I want to go/received the offers and 2)I have very strong connections with members of the firms

Vamedic: I actually did cancel all my OGI interviews after I accepted the offer so that alternates could fill my spot. I considered cancelling the interview with firm 2, but seeing as I personally know several atty's at the office and they were expecting me to interview, I actually thought it would be worse to just cancel on them rather than interview and then just tell them I accepted elsewhere if they gave me an offer. At best, I thought it could set me up for a 2L position. I really don't see how that was so wrong. The position will just go to someone else so it's not like me interviewing prevented someone else from getting the job.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:24 am

battle_tested wrote:The position will just go to someone else so it's not like me interviewing prevented someone else from getting the job.
I think the point is that the position may have gone to someone who did not get the chance to interview.

Given that it's a 1L post in a market UVa students don't typically target, that's less an issue here. Next year, with more classmates desperately seeking any interview they can get, it could be more of an issue.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:58 am

desertlaw is the greatest hero this planet may ever know.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:20 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:So I could use some advice here. My girlfriend really wants to move to charlottesville with me. There is really no work for her there, it seems. She is a retail merchandising major, currently works under a buyer. The only thing she has found is an assistant buyer position in South Hill Virginia, which honestly looks like a podunt town pretty far away. She is now thinking about opening up a little clothes boutique. Does anyone think this would do well? is there to many/not enough? Any girls that want to weigh in on the opportunity/demand for this would be really appreciated.

South Hill is a long, long way from Charlottesville. Were you planning to live separately and spend time together at weekends? Your girlfriend could look at opportunities in DC/Northern VA and you could still see each other pretty regularly at weekends.

Alternatively, Richmond is a manageable if not exactly fun commute, especially if you found somewhere to live East of Charlottesville, say Zion Crossroads or Lake Monticello.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:desertlaw is the greatest hero this planet may ever know.
Somewhat hyperbole, but I'm not going to argue with you.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:50 am

albanach wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:So I could use some advice here. My girlfriend really wants to move to charlottesville with me. There is really no work for her there, it seems. She is a retail merchandising major, currently works under a buyer. The only thing she has found is an assistant buyer position in South Hill Virginia, which honestly looks like a podunt town pretty far away. She is now thinking about opening up a little clothes boutique. Does anyone think this would do well? is there to many/not enough? Any girls that want to weigh in on the opportunity/demand for this would be really appreciated.

South Hill is a long, long way from Charlottesville. Were you planning to live separately and spend time together at weekends? Your girlfriend could look at opportunities in DC/Northern VA and you could still see each other pretty regularly at weekends.

Alternatively, Richmond is a manageable if not exactly fun commute, especially if you found somewhere to live East of Charlottesville, say Zion Crossroads or Lake Monticello.
Yeah, and the town seems like there is absolutely nothing there. Wiki says 4,800 people (although taht was 2006). We would live seperate and see each other on the weekends. I dont think she would want that commute for the year (richmond) mainly because of the weather, what does she do when its snowing? (im from west/south, never lived in snow lol)

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:26 pm

albanach wrote:

Yeah, and the town seems like there is absolutely nothing there. Wiki says 4,800 people (although taht was 2006). We would live seperate and see each other on the weekends. I dont think she would want that commute for the year (richmond) mainly because of the weather, what does she do when its snowing? (im from west/south, never lived in snow lol)
A.) It doesn't snow much here.
B.) The drive to Richmond is entirely on an interstate which are generally not to bad to drive on in the snow.
C.) Snow is really not that big of a deal except when it comes in huge quantities all at once. Driving in snow is pretty equivalent to driving after a massive downpour when the road is soaked. As long as you have good tires and drive carefully your gonna be fine. (The only caveat being black ice at night can be a little more dangerous.) Again, it really doesn't snow very much here. We've gotten snow once I think this year so far.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:45 pm

This is kind of random, but is there a difference between a firm's summer associate program and then hiring minorities for the summer? I only ask because I had two firms tell me they decided not to take 1L's for the summer, but I personally know two different 1L's that got hired through each firm's minority program. If you're hired through the minority program, are you not considered a summer associate then? It just seems weird that a firm would lie and say they aren't taking 1L's if they are.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:24 pm

pjo wrote:This is kind of random, but is there a difference between a firm's summer associate program and then hiring minorities for the summer? I only ask because I had two firms tell me they decided not to take 1L's for the summer, but I personally know two different 1L's that got hired through each firm's minority program. If you're hired through the minority program, are you not considered a summer associate then? It just seems weird that a firm would lie and say they aren't taking 1L's if they are.
No, you are treated like a summer associate. They may be referring to soliciting resumes via mass mailing and whatnot. Also, there are some programs where another program selects you and the firm just pays you but you are still treated like a normal summer. So the firms may be imprecise with their language but they aren't just lying to you brah.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Heat wrote:
albanach wrote:

A.) It doesn't snow much here.
B.) The drive to Richmond is entirely on an interstate which are generally not to bad to drive on in the snow.
C.) Snow is really not that big of a deal except when it comes in huge quantities all at once. Driving in snow is pretty equivalent to driving after a massive downpour when the road is soaked. As long as you have good tires and drive carefully your gonna be fine. (The only caveat being black ice at night can be a little more dangerous.) Again, it really doesn't snow very much here. We've gotten snow once I think this year so far.
Thank you for the response. Do you know anyone who currently does this commute? It looks to me like most places in Richmond takes about 1hr and 15-25 mins to get to. I dont know how hard this would be on someone. Would living 20 mins away from school (toawrd Richmond) be a good idea in this case?

ryemanhattan

Bronze

Post by ryemanhattan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:46 pm

Hello! I'm coming to check out UVA Law and the Charlottesville area this week... I'm staying at the Cavalier Inn and will have a car. Ill be there Tuesday night-Thursday. Planning on touring the school, sitting in on classes, all the usual law school visit stuff. What should I be sure to check out while I'm there? Is there anything going on this week I should know about (ie interesting visiting lecturers, righteous mid-week parties, fox hunts, gladiatoral fights-to-the-death, etc)? Anyone want to buy me a drink?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:32 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:Hello! I'm coming to check out UVA Law and the Charlottesville area this week... I'm staying at the Cavalier Inn and will have a car. Ill be there Tuesday night-Thursday. Planning on touring the school, sitting in on classes, all the usual law school visit stuff. What should I be sure to check out while I'm there? Is there anything going on this week I should know about (ie interesting visiting lecturers, righteous mid-week parties, fox hunts, gladiatoral fights-to-the-death, etc)? Anyone want to buy me a drink?
Feb Club. Beer Run. Bodos. I'll let you know if I stumble upon any foxhunts

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:43 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:Hello! I'm coming to check out UVA Law and the Charlottesville area this week... I'm staying at the Cavalier Inn and will have a car. Ill be there Tuesday night-Thursday. Planning on touring the school, sitting in on classes, all the usual law school visit stuff. What should I be sure to check out while I'm there? Is there anything going on this week I should know about (ie interesting visiting lecturers, righteous mid-week parties, fox hunts, gladiatoral fights-to-the-death, etc)? Anyone want to buy me a drink?
Monticello is always worth checking out if you haven't seen it. And come to bar review, we'll make you feel welcome.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:23 pm

A little bold to ask for someone to buy you a drink, but this is UVa Law I suppose.

Visiting Lectures: Court of Appeals Judge Wilkinson is speaking on Tuesday night at the law school (5 pm I believe)

Righteous Parties: Margaritaville on Tues, RuPaul for President on Wed, and Tarzan/Jane on Thursday. All of these should be good.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:25 pm

desertlaw wrote:
A little bold to ask for someone to buy you a drink, but this is UVa Law I suppose.

Visiting Lectures: Court of Appeals Judge Wilkinson is speaking on Tuesday night at the law school (5 pm I believe)

Righteous Parties: Margaritaville on Tues, RuPaul for President on Wed, and Tarzan/Jane on Thursday. All of these should be good.
And I'm being 100% honest about the parties. (I think the guy above me was joking about the foxhunts, but I'm not totally sure. But I wasn't being sarcastic about the mid-week party lineups)

ryemanhattan

Bronze

Post by ryemanhattan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Looks like I'll find plenty of things to amuse me. Very excited for my visit!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”