UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Puttanesca

Bronze

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by Puttanesca » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions on parking. Anyone have an inclination as to how much the D-22's go for? I'm beginning to entertain the thought of trying for one. PM me if you know.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Question for any 2Ls: how do we go about getting outlines from older students? Is there a certain etiquette in how we approach? Feel free to just PM me if you can help me out.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:14 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Question for any 2Ls: how do we go about getting outlines from older students? Is there a certain etiquette in how we approach? Feel free to just PM me if you can help me out.
plus 1

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:26 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Question for any 2Ls: how do we go about getting outlines from older students? Is there a certain etiquette in how we approach? Feel free to just PM me if you can help me out.
plus 1
And on that note, any 2Ls care to comment on the reliability of the outlines from the bank on the SBA site?

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:28 pm

It depends. They vary in quality - sometimes dramatically. You'll know a bad outline when you see one. It won't have covered a lot of issues or it might be badly organized.
I don't recommend knocking on doors to 2L's you barely know for an outline. But eh, besides that, it shouldn't be that much of an issue. If you know a 2L fairly well and know they had that class go ahead and ask them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:56 pm

billyez wrote:It depends. They vary in quality - sometimes dramatically. You'll know a bad outline when you see one. It won't have covered a lot of issues or it might be badly organized.
I don't recommend knocking on doors to 2L's you barely know for an outline. But eh, besides that, it shouldn't be that much of an issue. If you know a 2L fairly well and know they had that class go ahead and ask them.
I'd second that. I had a 1L who I'd never met before in my life e-mail me and ask me for an outline, I'm guessing because I'm on Law Review. It was bizarre and kind of weird. Also, it happened like, the day classes started.

(But tbh I already put all my outlines on the SBA Bank. I'd recommend using it -- while they do vary in quality, there was one or two that really helped me out last year.)

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Last edited by Cavalier on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:33 am

Thanks for the tips guys!

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:46 am

yngblkgifted wrote:Thanks for the tips guys!
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:06 pm

itsirtou wrote:
billyez wrote:It depends. They vary in quality - sometimes dramatically. You'll know a bad outline when you see one. It won't have covered a lot of issues or it might be badly organized.
I'd second that. I had a 1L who I'd never met before in my life e-mail me and ask me for an outline, I'm guessing because I'm on Law Review. It was bizarre and kind of weird. Also, it happened like, the day classes started.

(But tbh I already put all my outlines on the SBA Bank. I'd recommend using it -- while they do vary in quality, there was one or two that really helped me out last year.)
this is fucking creepy

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:08 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
itsirtou wrote:

this is fucking creepy
i had no idea how to respond besides "chill out and go to bilt or something"

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:04 pm

itsirtou wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote: this is fucking creepy
i had no idea how to respond besides "chill out and go to bilt or something"
OUT THEM!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Ask your PAs if they had your professors or know someone who did.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm soliciting information in case I have to press the switch on Plan B - ditch Lile. let's say someone is in the following situation:

1. They have shit to do
2. They're already on Extramural
3. Lile isn't on their resume so they don't have to call employers
4. They do like moot court, it's fun, but see 1

Are there any actual repercussions to dropping? I'm cool with considering the 50 dollars a sunk cost/donation to the art of oral advocacy.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:56 pm

So, did UVA kill ATL's parents or something?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:15 pm

sundance95 wrote:So, did UVA kill ATL's parents or something?
Apparently not at an early enough date.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 pm

sundance95 wrote:So, did UVA kill ATL's parents or something?
Eh. I think that post just makes Georgetown seem like a bleak gunner pit.
Last edited by plenipotentiary on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:01 am

joeshmo39 wrote:I'm soliciting information in case I have to press the switch on Plan B - ditch Lile. let's say someone is in the following situation:

1. They have shit to do
2. They're already on Extramural
3. Lile isn't on their resume so they don't have to call employers
4. They do like moot court, it's fun, but see 1

Are there any actual repercussions to dropping? I'm cool with considering the 50 dollars a sunk cost/donation to the art of oral advocacy.
In the end I:

That's a drop back and punt scenario. Not trying to be a hero here.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:12 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:In the end I:

[img]

That's a drop back and punt scenario. Not trying to be a hero here.
Good man. There's football to be watched this weekend and your employment fate is already more or less sealed.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Proper Foxfield attire?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:51 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Proper Foxfield attire?
Google "Foxfield races." Basically, the more outlandish and preptacular, the better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:17 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Proper Foxfield attire?
This really doesn't pertain to Foxfields (Okay, just add a seersucker blazer, maybe swap out the boat shoes or Rainbows for a pair of suede bucks and it pretty much does.), but your question reminded me of this article: A Guide to Dressing Like a (Southern) Liberal Arts Student

For the TL;DR crowd, I'll cut to the chase:
Thought Catalog wrote:The most important thing to remember, though, when dressing like a Southern liberal arts student, is that attitude is everything. Act like you’re better/cooler/smarter than everyone else. Don’t care too much about anything. Make lots of references to your beach house at Bald Head Island, your ski chalet in Aspen, and your spring break trip to Cabo. Everyone outside your friend group might think you’re a douche, but that’s kind of the point.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Can any of the current students talk about the scholarship process? When/how do you find out if you qualify? I got admitted out-of-the-blue this year really early. My status checker had a glitch which said Decision Letter Sent, then underneath Scholarship Letter Sent. When I got the package though, it was just the usual congratulations letter and info about the school. I'm a little confused and don't really want to bother admissions right now since I am sure they are very busy. Anyone know what I should expect in the coming months? I really like UVA and want to withdraw from other schools if I'm going to get assistance, but can't really do so until I figure this out...TIA

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:35 pm

MumofCad wrote:Can any of the current students talk about the scholarship process? When/how do you find out if you qualify? I got admitted out-of-the-blue this year really early. My status checker had a glitch which said Decision Letter Sent, then underneath Scholarship Letter Sent. When I got the package though, it was just the usual congratulations letter and info about the school. I'm a little confused and don't really want to bother admissions right now since I am sure they are very busy. Anyone know what I should expect in the coming months? I really like UVA and want to withdraw from other schools if I'm going to get assistance, but can't really do so until I figure this out...TIA
If you still don't know, just call them. That's their job after all.

Good luck.

théo

New

Post by théo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:23 pm

MumofCad wrote:Can any of the current students talk about the scholarship process? When/how do you find out if you qualify? I got admitted out-of-the-blue this year really early. My status checker had a glitch which said Decision Letter Sent, then underneath Scholarship Letter Sent. When I got the package though, it was just the usual congratulations letter and info about the school. I'm a little confused and don't really want to bother admissions right now since I am sure they are very busy. Anyone know what I should expect in the coming months? I really like UVA and want to withdraw from other schools if I'm going to get assistance, but can't really do so until I figure this out...TIA
I thought UVA called people to tell them they were accepted. I was told about my scholarship during the phone call, and then I got the decision letter and scholarship letter in the same envelope, if I recall correctly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”