UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
itsirtou

Bronze

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by itsirtou » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:04 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:OK someone here needs to explain this black box lottery to me, a 2L. All I have to do is rank the classes that I want to take which are one of the 3 requirements right? I want to take PRE but I have a conundrum. Cohen is supposed to be hard but his class is in the afternoon. Hylton is supposed to be cool but his class is hella early. Balnave I know little about, but his class also fits the requirement. It will be full of world-savers like Billyez, but I don't think that there is any reason not to take it right?
if you can take it with Hylton, I would. He's a goofball and his classes can get boring when he actually lectures, but he's fun and weirdly endearing.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:05 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:OK just to reiterate how totally lost I am, and a bit overwhelmed, can anyone point me to a list of the classes which fit the requirements? Also, should I just take PRE this semester from that list anyway and be done with it? I assume "skills" can be met by a clinic and "writing" by advanced LRW or some sort of seminar.
I was confused on that earlier. Go to lawweb, and beneath the link in the middle column that says "current courses," there should be three more links (writing requirements, skills requirements and professional requirements or something like that) that have all those classes that you can sign up for today.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:11 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:OK just to reiterate how totally lost I am, and a bit overwhelmed, can anyone point me to a list of the classes which fit the requirements? Also, should I just take PRE this semester from that list anyway and be done with it? I assume "skills" can be met by a clinic and "writing" by advanced LRW or some sort of seminar.
This is the worst registration system. I hate it.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:12 pm

I don't believe in multi-universe theory, but if I did, I would want to see the universe that spawned if I never discovered TLS.

While I'm here, I have been curious about this question:

I know the Supreme Court litigation is insanely competitive, but what about the little 'ol appellate litigation clinic. Seems like it basically guarantees you a shot at a 4th Cir. argument. What sort of chops do people need to get into that for 3L?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:15 pm

itsirtou wrote:
I was confused on that earlier. Go to lawweb, and beneath the link in the middle column that says "current courses," there should be three more links (writing requirements, skills requirements and professional requirements or something like that) that have all those classes that you can sign up for today.
In case you're too lazy/busy to go look, the only other course that meets the ethics requirement is the awesomely named Ethics, Integrity, and Avoiding "Club Fed." It's a short course that meets from 1:00-3:00 every weekday from 9/7-9/22 and requires a paper on a topic of your choice. I think I prefer a final to a paper for PR, so I'm probably going to take Hylton's class, but it sure would be nice to get the whole thing out of the way in 2 1/2 weeks.

Also, though I tend to agree, LOL at 8:50 am being "hella early."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:23 pm

I think the ethics requirement is just PR, PR for public interest, and Avoiding Club Fed. Skills can be met by a Clinic, Trial Ad, and handful of small courses. I wouldn't worry about it for now--if you think you may do a clinic, just wait until then. The writing requirement can be met by a class that requires a long paper (as opposed to a few ten page response papers). I'm not sure how to find a list of courses that count for each requirement, but if you click an individual course, it will tell you what if it satisfies any requirements.

As far as PR goes, take it whenever is convenient. If there are four courses you really want to take this semester, and PR won't fit with them, then you should certainly hold off--you'd be crazy to sacrifice a class like, say, Securities Regulation with Mahoney for PR. But if you can only find three courses that really excite you, then maybe throw in PR to get it out of the way.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Cavalier has been pushing Mahoney's Securities Regulation class for weeks. I'm pretty sure he's just hoping everyone will take it so he can get Kitch to himself.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:16 pm

gladiator wrote:Cavalier has been pushing Mahoney's Securities Regulation class for weeks. I'm pretty sure he's just hoping everyone will take it so he can get Kitch to himself.
Don't ruin my plans!

ReelectClayDavis

New

Post by ReelectClayDavis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Submitted my rankings for requirement classes, and got an error message that I have not satisfied a prerequisite for one of my spring course selections.

Is it safe to disregard this error? I am not taking the prereq until this fall, so I can't choose it until the regular course lottery. Will the system still place me in the spring course, anticipating that I will do the prereq in the fall? Or do I have to intervene to sort this out?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:30 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:Submitted my rankings for requirement classes, and got an error message that I have not satisfied a prerequisite for one of my spring course selections.

Is it safe to disregard this error? I am not taking the prereq until this fall, so I can't choose it until the regular course lottery. Will the system still place me in the spring course, anticipating that I will do the prereq in the fall? Or do I have to intervene to sort this out?
Wow, that sucks. Knowing Cary Bennett, probably the latter since that's more inconvenient. I would call the law school (like, now) and see if you can get it resolved.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Cavalier wrote:
ReelectClayDavis wrote:Submitted my rankings for requirement classes, and got an error message that I have not satisfied a prerequisite for one of my spring course selections.

Wow, that sucks. Knowing Cary Bennett, probably the latter since that's more inconvenient. I would call the law school (like, now) and see if you can get it resolved.
No need to. If you read the information in red, it indicates that your selections have been saved. It's just alerting you that a conflict will arise. It will also tell you the same thing if you pick two classes that are mutually exclusive, such as the fall Rhetoric short course and the spring Rhetoric seminar. It's basically a heads-up.

bertstare

New

Post by bertstare » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:35 pm

dgouzoul wrote:
desertlaw wrote:We got some e-mail from Carey Bennett today. So it looks like 2L lottery for classes and OGI bidding ends at the same exact time. Except OSC let us see/play with ours for a few months. Bennett only gives us a few days. Comments? Thoughts?

Also missing from UVa's website is anything about Yared Getachew, public service dean. Anyone know why he left? Looks like they already filled his position.
I heard he went biglaw

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:30 pm

bertstare wrote:
dgouzoul wrote:
desertlaw wrote:We got some e-mail from Carey Bennett today. So it looks like 2L lottery for classes and OGI bidding ends at the same exact time. Except OSC let us see/play with ours for a few months. Bennett only gives us a few days. Comments? Thoughts?

Also missing from UVa's website is anything about Yared Getachew, public service dean. Anyone know why he left? Looks like they already filled his position.
I heard he went biglaw

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

slotwide

New

Post by slotwide » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:53 pm

What UVA bus line does one take from the law school down to central grounds? and about how long of a bus ride is that?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:55 pm

slotwide wrote:What UVA bus line does one take from the law school down to central grounds? and about how long of a bus ride is that?
The Northline, which is like a 10 minute ride.

slotwide

New

Post by slotwide » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Cavalier wrote:
slotwide wrote:What UVA bus line does one take from the law school down to central grounds? and about how long of a bus ride is that?
The Northline, which is like a 10 minute ride.
Thanks Cavalier!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:03 pm

It stops along Arlington, right in front of the law school, Darden, and down close to Ivy Gardens, so it's pretty easy to use. It also runs every ten minutes during the school year, so it's pretty reliable for time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:05 pm

what's the closest indoor gym to the law school? is it within walking distance? is it part of campus so i don't have to pay? (please god or i might kill myself)

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:09 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:what's the closest indoor gym to the law school? is it within walking distance? is it part of campus so i don't have to pay? (please god or i might kill myself)
North Grounds rec is a 3 minute walk from the law school, and you don't have to pay when school is in session. It's small, but not overly crowded.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:10 pm

swinger wrote:
North Grounds is smaller and less busy. This is true (though there are times- around 5 to 7- when it gets pretty packed). Let me run through a list of everything North Grounds has. This is from memory so I may miss something:

2 Bench Press.
1 Incline Press.
1 Decline Press.
1 Shoulder Press.
1 Calves Machine.
1 Dip/Pullup Assist Machine.
1 Free Dip/Leg Raise.
1 Squat Rack with Chin Up/Pull Up Individual Hand Grips Attached
1 Squat Rack plain
1 Smith Rack
1 Single Cable
1 Lat Pulldown
1 Bicep Curl
1 Tricep Extension
2 Preacher Curl Stations
1 Back Extension
1 Free Weight Incline Row
1 Chest Press (Machine)
1 Pec Fly (Machine)
1 Seated Row (Machine, not close-grip cable)
1 Pullover (Machine)
1 Leg Extension
1 Seated Leg Curl
1 Lying Leg Curl
2 Hips (inside/outside)
About 3-4 flat benches
About 3 adjustable benches
2 Free Seats (for dumbbell shoulder press for example)
1 Back Extension Machine
Two sets of dumbbells 5-45 in 5 lb inc.
1 set of dumbbells 2.5-20 in 2.5 lb inc.
1 set of dummbells 50-100
2 full court bball courts
2 squash courts
3 racquetball courts
Decline Bench with no bar (for abs)
2 Open Rooms (one way bigger than the other)
About 8 tread with matsmills, 6 bikes, 2 row machines, 8 ellipticals, 3 or 4 step machines.
Pretty big matted area in front of the bikes for abs.

Its rare that you have to wait for anything to the point that it affects your workout. As long as you stay flexible about the order, or dont mind waiting an extra minute or two, you should be fine. People will always let you work in with them.

PM me if you have any other specific questions.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:10 pm

sorry I didn't search it first. thanks 5

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:12 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:sorry I didn't search it first. thanks 5
Nah, it's fine, it was buried back there. You can use any gym on campus, I believe, so some people go to AFC. You can read about them all here: http://www.virginia.edu/ims/facilities/index.php

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:00 pm

5ky wrote:For the soon-to-be 1Ls: I think this should be a list of the schedules/professors for the different sections.

Section D
Civil Procedure -- Nelson -- TWRF (8:50-9:50) (D/I)
Torts -- Armacost -- TWF (10:00-11:20) (D/H)
Criminal Law -- Low -- MTWRF (2:10-3:10) (D/G)
Contracts -- Verkerke -- MWR (3:40-5:00) (D)
-----
LRW -- Buck -- M (1:00-2:00) (D)
Section D&G focus heavily on Criminal Law or there's a typo?

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting though, the list is very helpful.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:19 pm

albanach wrote:
5ky wrote:For the soon-to-be 1Ls: I think this should be a list of the schedules/professors for the different sections.

Section D
Civil Procedure -- Nelson -- TWRF (8:50-9:50) (D/I)
Torts -- Armacost -- TWF (10:00-11:20) (D/H)
Criminal Law -- Low -- MTWRF (2:10-3:10) (D/G)
Contracts -- Verkerke -- MWR (3:40-5:00) (D)
-----
LRW -- Buck -- M (1:00-2:00) (D)
Section D&G focus heavily on Criminal Law or there's a typo?

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting though, the list is very helpful.
This likely means that Prof. Low has something going on that's wayyy more important than teaching lowly 1L's. These classes will still meet three times per week, but the days will fluctuate.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:21 pm

I wouldn't call what professors do 'teach.'

I've long advocated that all of the problems with law school would go away if you stopped calling it "school." Then the system makes perfect sense, it's only the silly belief we have walking in that we will "learn" or "be taught" that can make it painful at times.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”