UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
YCrevolution

Gold

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:19 pm

ReelectClayDavis

New

Post by ReelectClayDavis » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:12 pm

Thank you YCrevolution and vanwinkle for your quick and informative replies.

So 1Ls looking for parking are guaranteed to at least get a pass for the blue lot? Sounds like the case from http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... rvices.htm, which says "Students with a valid UVA ID and evidence of a valid motor vehicle registration also may purchase permits for University Hall parking at the beginning of the school year at the Law School, and at the P&T office thereafter. These permits are valid for any University "blue" lot and cost $108 per school year or $12 per month."

It looks like the blue lot near the softball fields is only slightly farther away from the school than the D-3 parking is http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/ParkingMap.pdf
So is it even worthwhile to pay $108 extra at the point that the blue lot is right next to the D-3 green parking?

Glad to know I'll be able to drive next year, time to plot a route from across the way that avoids Emmet and University Ave to the greatest extent possible . . .

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:16 pm

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:26 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:Thank you YCrevolution and vanwinkle for your quick and informative replies.

So 1Ls looking for parking are guaranteed to at least get a pass for the blue lot? Sounds like the case from http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... rvices.htm, which says "Students with a valid UVA ID and evidence of a valid motor vehicle registration also may purchase permits for University Hall parking at the beginning of the school year at the Law School, and at the P&T office thereafter. These permits are valid for any University "blue" lot and cost $108 per school year or $12 per month."

It looks like the blue lot near the softball fields is only slightly farther away from the school than the D-3 parking is http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/ParkingMap.pdf
So is it even worthwhile to pay $108 extra at the point that the blue lot is right next to the D-3 green parking?

Glad to know I'll be able to drive next year, time to plot a route from across the way that avoids Emmet and University Ave to the greatest extent possible . . .
The Blue Lot is down a hill. There are steps but yeah. A hill. Emmet isn't bad at all until you get to the intersection with Barracks.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:48 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:Thank you YCrevolution and vanwinkle for your quick and informative replies.

1) I don't think anyone had any issues finding spaces in blue lot and everyone can get a blue lot space

2) Everyone 1L I know who entered into the second lottery got a D3 permit (BTW - THESE ARE NOT AVAILABLE TO PEOPLE LIVING IN IVY OR ON ARLINGTON)

3) It is very very much worth the price - its almost a 1/4 mile difference - when I parked in blue lot - it took 10 minutes to get to the law school; D3 - its a 3 minute walk to the lawschool - you might not think this matters but, when you're trying to get to your 0830 class thats on the opposite side of the law school the time difference means 15 minutes more sleep!

FWIW - one of my friends bought the D2 pass (blind auction for the right to purchase) and parks right next to the law school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:19 am

kurama20 wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Guys, you're getting caught up in the facts. I don't care about those.

I will say this, EB didn't say Berk was a stronger school in general, she said it had stronger prospects. I think the former is a sure thing and the latter is probably not 100% correct.

I don't get this concept of "harder to get a job there." If everyone is able to place into the markets they want to, and at Boalt from what I've seen, lots of people who want to go to DC go to DC, then how are we defining hardness? God forbid someone has to send a resume or two out.

lol that's because the facts are all that matters. Geographical preferences and experiences with schools do matter when it comes to firm jobs. It will simply be harder for a Boalt grad with no ties to get a job in DC than it will be for a comparable UVA grad, especially with their unique grading system that doesn't fly as well with firms outside of Cali (it flies so well with Cali firms because they have an immense amount of respect for Boalt; it's borderline Harvard in Cali.) A UVA grad with no Cali ties will have a lot harder time landing a Cali job than a comparable Boalt grad. Geography matters, especially outside of HY. Also that comment about Boalt having stronger prospects is not just "probably not 100 percent correct" it's 100 percent wrong.
jawsthegreat wrote:I would like some facts that exhibit why Berkeley is a better school.
US News has their overall rank at 5.
That first sentence you quoted really should've tipped you off to how hard you were getting trolled.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:30 pm

don't mean to bump this thread... but I have to ask...

If I don't drink (at all) would that be a problem in terms of the social enviornment at UVA?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:58 pm

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:19 pm

When are grades coming out?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:23 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:When are grades coming out?
I wish somebody knew the answer to this.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:24 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Huh? I have grades already.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:25 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Huh? I have grades already.
I call BS on this.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:09 pm

I bet Kohinoor and Vanwinkle are top 20 percent.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:14 pm

kurama20 wrote:I bet Kohinoor and Vanwinkle are top 20 percent.
This is what I'd like to know and then ask what study habits were.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:55 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=78769

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:16 pm

CE2JD wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=78769
That was a pretty good post. I'm a big fan of Arrow's advice. He said it was for a T2 but really it applies just as well at top law schools:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ilit=arrow

I'm not sure any advice I have to give would be that beneficial; for example, I can recommend you have the ability to type 80WPM+, since I am certain that if I get any good grades it will be partly based on my ability to type quickly, giving me the ability to cover more things more thoroughly. However, it's not like that's something that people can just do; I was an award-winning writer in college and I've kept writing since graduating, helping me develop both my typing and writing skills.

Sometimes having existing skills might have even been a handicap. When you already know how to do something, if it's the "wrong" way, you have to unlearn it AND learn the new way. LRW was insanely difficult for me because I was such a strong writer and had to constantly go against my existing writing instincts (IRAC is pretty much the exact opposite of how you are taught to write in a creative writing environment). I am so glad that it was a pass/fail course, because I probably would have hosed myself with that one class if it were graded.

I'd be willing to have conversations with people about specific things, but really for a general overall idea of how to approach and prepare for law school exams I can't do more than recommend Arrow's advice as a starting point. I read that post repeatedly through the semester and if I was at all successful I'm going to have to go find him and buy him a beer in gratitude.

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:59 pm

Grades come out starting in early to mid January. The course evaluation will typically go up on LawWeb the day before the grade comes out. In some instances, the grade might go up the same day as the evaluation or the grade won't come out until two or three days after but for the most part, evaluations are posted the day before the grade. Some sections will end up with most of their grades before the early February deadline (Section I had all of them I believe), and others will end up with none or one.

If SIS (the current system) is the same as ISIS (last year's system), grades will be posted at around 4:30-5:30am. Last year there was a message saying that ISIS is down between 11:00am and 6:00am, but it would always come up about an hour and a half before the stated time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:10 am

Wahoo1L wrote:
Grades come out starting in early to mid January. The course evaluation will typically go up on LawWeb the day before the grade comes out. In some instances, the grade might go up the same day as the evaluation or the grade won't come out until two or three days after but for the most part, evaluations are posted the day before the grade. Some sections will end up with most of their grades before the early February deadline (Section I had all of them I believe), and others will end up with none or one.

If SIS (the current system) is the same as ISIS (last year's system), grades will be posted at around 4:30-5:30am. Last year there was a message saying that ISIS is down between 11:00am and 6:00am, but it would always come up about an hour and a half before the stated time.
Great, now I have to set my alarm for 5:30 every morning.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:12 am

is the process for cross-registering for darden classes difficult? do you guys know how often people do this?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:20 am

talibkweli wrote:is the process for cross-registering for darden classes difficult? do you guys know how often people do this?
+1.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:24 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
talibkweli wrote:is the process for cross-registering for darden classes difficult? do you guys know how often people do this?
+1.
You won't get many answers since mostly 1Ls read this board, and we definitely can't cross register for electives spring semester.

The academic policy document mentions that you can do it, up to a certain # of credits each year, as long as they're grad courses. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:01 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
your unbridled optimism brought a smile to my face.

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:07 am

CE2JD wrote:
Wahoo1L wrote:

Great, now I have to set my alarm for 5:30 every morning.
Only on nights after your course evaluation goes up.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:16 am

Wahoo1L wrote:

This is helpful, thanks. Now I will check for course evaluations instead (since LawWeb seems to be faster than SIS).

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:27 am

Please. This is in such poor taste.

edit: I'm calling Sealocust with LR level grades. According to his roommates, he types like 150wpm. Some of it has to be more relevant than whatever I put on all my exam docs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”