UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:01 am

Jeffersonian is also just smaller. Ivy might be 10x bigger.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:05 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
esq wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:Hey so i'm 60-something on the jeffersonian's waitlist. I was wondering what the odds are of landing something there. I know if you're 60 something on a school's waitlist your odds are well under 50-50. I just want to know if it'd be prudent to look elsewhere, and if so then where?
Not very good. I was 61: denied. All apartments were said to be taken, though I was shooting for a two-bedroom.
Backups? I dont have a car. I can walk 3-4 miles to school as I do a lt of walking/running. Just don't wanna be disadvantaged time wise. What do late admits to? Camp out? It seems like it's harder to find a place to live in UVa than on Park Ave in Manhattan. 69 people on a waitlist when I got my app in 9 am morning they opened? I'm kind of po'd.
To be fair, if you had read these boards you'd have known that applying at 9 AM was unlikely to get you an apartment.

People here make the time difference out to be a huge deal that its not. I live at least a 15 minute drive from the school, as do at least 7 other people (out of 30) in my section. I don't think any of us ever felt disadvantaged. This is especially true if you like to study at home.

Your backup option is Ivy. It's easily in walking distance and where the bulk of your classmates will live. It also is not hard to get an apartment in.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:23 am

esq wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:Hey so i'm 60-something on the jeffersonian's waitlist. I was wondering what the odds are of landing something there. I know if you're 60 something on a school's waitlist your odds are well under 50-50. I just want to know if it'd be prudent to look elsewhere, and if so then where?
Not very good. I was 61: denied. All apartments were said to be taken, though I was shooting for a two-bedroom.
I am like 56 (or around there)

I am sad to hear this. Someone said they got up to 71 last year. So I dont know what the difference was.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:13 pm

I was in the low 40s last year and got off the waitlist in like late March. There's a data point.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:45 pm

January 20th deadline for 1L grades?? You guys are lucky this year, they moved it up a whole 10 days.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:50 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:
aspire2more wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:Thanks. Sorry if i came off complaining earlier - i was just shocked as to how crowded these are. These are great suggestions. I'd prefer not to live on uva property, because then you have collegiate rules 24/7-like if i don't want to have bar issues if i smoke a cigarette in my room. I'm thinking about maybe going down there, and scoping stuff out later this month? I'd just regret not living with law students. I'm kind of on my own with this, and I know friends are a great answer to stress.
Just as an FYI based on the suggestions you're being given in this thread, the Woodard Properties apartments on Arlington are non-smoking.
Thanks for the heads up, and thanks Cavalier as well. Why is Jeffersonian so much more popular than Ivy? I was a bit turned off by ivy's description of the 1 br's being submerged. The decks for the two br's sound awesome, but i don't have a roommate :-(

I guess I'll keep searching!! If any of you two/three l's wouldn't mind a 1l roommate (i am older than most 1ls but not 30 plus old), let me know!! I'm very friendly and outgoing, but pretty low key.
Most 3Ls won't be here after they graduate?

Jeffersonian is more popular because it's closer to the law school and shopping, and, probably most importantly, it's cheaper than Ivy. And to the extent I've had maintenance issues, they've generally been resolved well.
Jeffersonian is also the only option really close to the school that allows pets.

ETA: Ivy may also have the shittiest option for cable tv in the United States.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:
aspire2more wrote:
Just as an FYI based on the suggestions you're being given in this thread, the Woodard Properties apartments on Arlington are non-smoking.
Thanks for the heads up, and thanks Cavalier as well. Why is Jeffersonian so much more popular than Ivy? I was a bit turned off by ivy's description of the 1 br's being submerged. The decks for the two br's sound awesome, but i don't have a roommate :-(

I guess I'll keep searching!! If any of you two/three l's wouldn't mind a 1l roommate (i am older than most 1ls but not 30 plus old), let me know!! I'm very friendly and outgoing, but pretty low key.
Most 3Ls won't be here after they graduate?

Jeffersonian is more popular because it's closer to the law school and shopping, and, probably most importantly, it's cheaper than Ivy. And to the extent I've had maintenance issues, they've generally been resolved well.
Jeffersonian is also the only option really close to the school that allows pets.

ETA: Ivy may also have the shittiest option for cable tv in the United States.
jfc I hate NTC so much

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Our fucking cable didn't even work the whole month before we left for Christmas break. We were just too busy to fix it but I'm sure we were still getting charged.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Heat wrote:
People here make the time difference out to be a huge deal that its not. I live at least a 15 minute drive from the school, as do at least 7 other people (out of 30) in my section. I don't think any of us ever felt disadvantaged. This is especially true if you like to study at home.
Don't listen to this poster, He's trying to ruin you and set himself up on the curve. The difference of 10 minutes each way in commute times is huge, and easily the difference between a B and an A-. Sacrificing those 20 library minutes a day adds up over the semester like you wouldn't believe. I know professors who won't even read the exams of people who live that far away.

Also, the person who is willing to run or walk 3-4 miles a day, I commend you. I will warn you that a lot of the places 3-4 miles out from the law school are off 250 - the by-pass (pronounced "bih-pass" by drunk, loud, ex-policy wonk cab drivers) - which means getting to the school on foot is not really an option. I guess you could run or walk from the corner, but trust me, that's not a real option on a daily basis. I walked 1L year from my place, it's a 20 minute walk tops, and people looked at me like I was an alien. I walked home with a friend one time and he was beside himself how far I lived. Also, law students are very lazy.

I see TheSeaLocust has exited the fortress of solitude? How do you like it out here? Awful bright huh?

I'm also going to submit this brief libel show skit so I can illustrate for everyone how the grade deadline will work out. Coming to a Caplin Auditorium stage near you:

"Deadlines"

Cary Bennet: Hey there Professor [name], we still haven't received your grade and it's 2 days after the deadline. Plus, it will take us roughly a month to process the grades as we do tequila shooters out of empty boxes of transcript paper.

Professor [Name]: I have tenure, and shit to do, and it'll get done when it's done. Mostly I'm untouchable.

Cary Bennet: Ok, good talking to you. I'll expect to hear from you anywhere between the next few days and never.

*Scene*

True story: I saw Cary Bennet standing at the ITC desk one day during finals wearing: Jeans, a sport coat, and crocs. Crocs, an adult professional just out and about in Crocs. I kid you not.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Too many people give cary bennett a hard time. Sure he may be slow but the blames not only his. So many professors hold grades till the last minute and flood him at the same time. I know of a couple professors who had their exams from last semester graded a week after finals but held them for over 2 weeks more before "setting the curve" and turning them in because they didn't want to be the first done.

UVA doesn't penalize professors like other schools for missing deadlines also.

Cary Bennett

New

Post by Cary Bennett » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:00 pm

You guys don't understand. Submitting grades to SIS is an extremely difficult process, and I can't be expected to do it in a timely manner when I'm only being paid $96,000 a year (which is nothing for central Virginia). My staff of five and I work very hard to submit grades biannually and to oversee course enrollment.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Oh boy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:31 pm

LOL! Cary!! Welcome to the forum old chap.

Joeshmo's post is gold. Pure gold.

Every year around this time Cary Bennett becomes like a UVa law super villain. He reminds me of someone....maybe...Obadiah Stane from Iron Man!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Cary Bennett wrote:You guys don't understand. Submitting grades to SIS is an extremely difficult process, and I can't be expected to do it in a timely manner when I'm only being paid $96,000 a year (which is nothing for central Virginia). My staff of five and I work very hard to submit grades biannually and to oversee course enrollment.
My school has the best TLS posters, hands down.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:50 pm

Doritos wrote:LOL! Cary!! Welcome to the forum old chap.

Joeshmo's post is gold. Pure gold.

Every year around this time Cary Bennett becomes like a UVa law super villain. He reminds me of someone....maybe...Obadiah Stane from Iron Man!

mother of god

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:27 pm

Cary Bennett wrote:You guys don't understand. Submitting grades to SIS is an extremely difficult process, and I can't be expected to do it in a timely manner when I'm only being paid $96,000 a year (which is nothing for central Virginia). My staff of five and I work very hard to submit grades biannually and to oversee course enrollment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:28 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
Also, the person who is willing to run or walk 3-4 miles a day, I commend you. I will warn you that a lot of the places 3-4 miles out from the law school are off 250 - the by-pass (pronounced "bih-pass" by drunk, loud, ex-policy wonk cab drivers) - which means getting to the school on foot is not really an option. I guess you could run or walk from the corner, but trust me, that's not a real option on a daily basis. .

The buuuuuuuh-PASS!

Cary Bennett

New

Post by Cary Bennett » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm

While you're all waiting for grades, why don't you try making your very own Cary Bennett memes here: http://memegenerator.net/Cary

For example:

--ImageRemoved--

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:30 pm

How do you put an image in here from a created meme? Someone help me please.

http://memegenerator.net/instance/12909916

Cary Bennett

New

Post by Cary Bennett » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Right click on the image, select "copy image location" for the URL. Then post it here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:36 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Cary Bennett wrote:Right click on the image, select "copy image location" for the URL. Then post it here.
Do what he said, but put it between the "img" thingies.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm

--ImageRemoved--

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:48 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.