UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
5ky

Diamond

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by 5ky » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:20 pm

There are, but please don't construe ever participating in class as being a gunner. It's a good thing to participate every now and then, particularly if you have on-point questions that other students might be too hesitant to ask.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:57 pm

5ky wrote:There are, but please don't construe ever participating in class as being a gunner. It's a good thing to participate every now and then, particularly if you have on-point questions that other students might be too hesitant to ask.
Gunning: expressing your unsolicited opinion that nobody cares about
Not gunning: expressing your solicited opinion concisely and without trying to impress your classmates
Gunning: asking a question that subtly seeks to express your opinion/demonstrate your knowledge
Not gunning: asking a question with the actual purpose of clearing something up
Gunning: saying anything that is clearly a tangent and would never ever be on the exam

ThreeYears

Bronze

Post by ThreeYears » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:07 pm

gladiator wrote:
5ky wrote:There are, but please don't construe ever participating in class as being a gunner. It's a good thing to participate every now and then, particularly if you have on-point questions that other students might be too hesitant to ask.
Not gunning: expressing your solicited opinion concisely and without trying to impress your classmates
Gunning: asking a question that subtly seeks to express your opinion/demonstrate your knowledge
Gunning: saying anything that is clearly a tangent and would never ever be on the exam
Does this enumeration purport to exclude?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:07 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:I noticed tons of kids gunning today in class...I thought there weren't any gunners at UVA?
Lol you really need to wipe that "beer and softball" and "laid back" garbage out of your head. UVA is just like any other hyper competitive law school; the only difference is that people here constantly talk about how little they study and constantly talk about how they aren't "gunners". Somebody's going to follow this post with the usual "Uh uh like people don't gun around here, and like if you say they do you are like a total douche dude". Frankly, if I were you I'd go hard as you can without mentally draining yourself and ignore the social scene as a 1L. There's no real benefit to it and it can get you wrapped up in a lot of drama anyway. If you want to unwind I suggest doing so with people from other graduate programs and/or undergrads and gaining hobbies not intertwined with the law school. It's better for you mentally.

As far as going hard, I'm not saying it will guarantee you anything, but you will want to know that you left it all on the table when OGI comes around--trust me. One thing you need to remember is that there are a ton of people here who were "first in class" in college, high school, whatever and people like that don't just suddenly become "laid back" because they're at UVA. Sometimes you have to use some common sense and block out things like this website. Ie if you asked someone off the street whether a kid who pulled a 3.8 at Harvard, was first in class in high school, and worked at an IBank for 2 years before law school is "laid back" what do you think they would tell you? TLS may say the opposite, but sometimes common sense gives the right answer.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThreeYears

Bronze

Post by ThreeYears » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
5ky wrote:So how did things go today, 1Ls? Any epic cold-call meltdowns?
Mitchell instantly shit all over a couple kids in my Civ Pro, as was expected. Dooley was pretty unforgiving as well. Also, to anyone who has had Bonnie, what the hell is he talking about??????? Does he always just go off on random tangents that do not at all connect to the assigned readings?
We don't even share one professor... :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 pm

gladiator wrote:
Well, one of the gunners kept discussing things from their prior work experience that was not covered in the assigned readings or in the syllabus. There were others who followed similarly.

ThreeYears

Bronze

Post by ThreeYears » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
gladiator wrote:
Well, one of the gunners kept discussing things from their prior work experience that was not covered in the assigned readings or in the syllabus. There were others who followed similarly.
Dude, I think Bruce gave us some much-needed schooling.

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:13 pm

ThreeYears wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:
gladiator wrote:
Dude, I think Bruce gave us some much-needed schooling.
Dude we have been going hard, been sleeping only like 3 hours a night because I have been outlining from day 1

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:I noticed tons of kids gunning today in class...I thought there weren't any gunners at UVA?
Lol you really need to wipe that "beer and softball" and "laid back" garbage out of your head. UVA is just like any other hyper competitive law school; the only difference is that people here constantly talk about how little they study and constantly talk about how they aren't "gunners". Somebody's going to follow this post with the usual "Uh uh like people don't gun around here, and like if you say they do you are like a total douche dude". Frankly, if I were you I'd go hard as you can without mentally draining yourself and ignore the social scene as a 1L. There's no real benefit to it and it can get you wrapped up in a lot of drama anyway. If you want to unwind I suggest doing so with people from other graduate programs and/or undergrads and gaining hobbies not intertwined with the law school. It's better for you mentally.

As far as going hard, I'm not saying it will guarantee you anything, but you will want to know that you left it all on the table when OGI comes around--trust me. One thing you need to remember is that there are a ton of people here who were "first in class" in college, high school, whatever and people like that don't just suddenly become "laid back" because they're at UVA. Sometimes you have to use some common sense and block out things like this website. Ie if you asked someone off the street whether a kid who pulled a 3.8 at Harvard, was first in class in high school, and worked at an IBank for 2 years before law school is "laid back" what do you think they would tell you? TLS may say the opposite, but sometimes common sense gives the right answer.
There seems to be a lot of pressure to go to all the social events, how do you recommend we deal with it without seeming like complete douches

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:21 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:There seems to be a lot of pressure to go to all the social events, how do you recommend we deal with it without seeming like complete douches
Honestly, I think you just need to do what you actually want to do. If you actually want to go to one then go. But if you don't then don't. Keep in mind UVA has a pretty big class size. Especially this early on in the semester (when people don't know people) you can avoid things and people won't even notice. Yeah some may but who cares. Do what you want to do but that's it. As far as coming across like a total douche because you aren't going to social events--there will be people who land up on law review who you have never seen a day in your life until OGI. I wouldn't worry about something like that. Remember that there are older non traditional students who fit that exact profile. Actually there's a married girl that just came to my mind that isn't even that old that I can only remember seeing at mandatory orientation, final exams, and just recently at OGI. I doubt she really cares whether people kept track of her social activities while she racks up callbacks.

The biggest problem you have now (and the only thing you need to worry about) is that you probably don't know how to study. The people who do well are the one's who figure out how to study first. If you don't figure out what works for you until too late, then you will have a problem. That's what you should focus on now. I'm not saying that you should just stop having a social life, but to be honest, it should take a back seat to 1L. Remember why you came here; it can be hard to remember that during the fall. I assure you that you will remember why you came here this time next year. Good luck. Oh and besides, you can completely quit studying during 2L and 3L if you get an offer at OGI anyway--and party all you want! :lol:

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:56 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:There seems to be a lot of pressure to go to all the social events, how do you recommend we deal with it without seeming like complete douches
Honestly, I think you just need to do what you actually want to do. If you actually want to go to one then go. But if you don't then don't. Keep in mind UVA has a pretty big class size. Especially this early on in the semester (when people don't know people) you can avoid things and people won't even notice. Yeah some may but who cares. Do what you want to do but that's it. As far as coming across like a total douche because you aren't going to social events--there will be people who land up on law review who you have never seen a day in your life until OGI. I wouldn't worry about something like that. Remember that there are older non traditional students who fit that exact profile. Actually there's a married girl that just came to my mind that isn't even that old that I can only remember seeing at mandatory orientation, final exams, and just recently at OGI. I doubt she really cares whether people kept track of her social activities while she racks up callbacks.

The biggest problem you have now (and the only thing you need to worry about) is that you probably don't know how to study. The people who do well are the one's who figure out how to study first. If you don't figure out what works for you until too late, then you will have a problem. That's what you should focus on now. I'm not saying that you should just stop having a social life, but to be honest, it should take a back seat to 1L. Remember why you came here; it can be hard to remember that during the fall. I assure you that you will remember why you came here this time next year. Good luck. Oh and besides, you can completely quit studying during 2L and 3L if you get an offer at OGI anyway--and party all you want! :lol:
I would just like to point out that this is one person's opinion and that you should take whatever approach you think matches your personality. Some people are more social creatures and need that 'uva lifestyle' of going to a lot of social events to stay sane. Most people do not think you are a douche if you go to every single event and most people dont think youre a douche if you dont go to any events. Thats what a lot of us love about this school- you can do what makes you comfortable and no one is going to judge you. People understand that some people are extremely risk-averse and want to stay in- other people are fine with taking a more social approach. Im not saying that BruceWayne is wrong, im not saying he is right, im just saying that just because one person who frankly has as little credibility as anyone else here says to abandon the social scene doesnt mean you should. If you read some of my previous posts here you will see that he and I obviously have an extremely different view of how to approach law school- and that is fine, I respect his approach and hopefully he respects mine. I imagine we both did fine with our opposite approaches. Try to find what works for you and adjust accordingly. Best of luck.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:26 pm

This has basically been said above but the bottom line is that the social scene and softball are there for your enjoyment, not as a requirement. I personally think you're wasting a good opportunity if you don't take advantage of them because you'll likely never get a chance to have a similar experience again. I've seen very little correlation between grades and social event/softball attendance so don't assume that being singularly focused on academics is going to give you an advantage. There's more than enough time to dedicate yourself to both work and fun if you handle it right.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:32 am

swinger wrote:I would just like to point out that this is one person's opinion and that you should take whatever approach you think matches your personality. Some people are more social creatures and need that 'uva lifestyle' of going to a lot of social events to stay sane. Most people do not think you are a douche if you go to every single event and most people dont think youre a douche if you dont go to any events. Thats what a lot of us love about this school- you can do what makes you comfortable and no one is going to judge you.
I don't think someone who never goes out is a douche, but I do think he chose the wrong law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:33 pm

State officials expect a category 2 hurricane, which could leave people across the state without power for days, storm surges of up to six feet along the coast and more than 1 million people feeling the affects of hurricane-force winds in eastern and southeastern Virginia. The storm may strengthen to a category 3 hurricane before landfall.
Any native Virginians/longtime UVAers/weather enthusiasts care to speculate? From what I'm looking at (LinkRemoved) we're west enough that we shouldn't be seeing anything crazy, but I'm not much of a meteorologist, and I think I saw Charlottesville's power go out once when a bird crapped on the power lines. I'm slightly concerned.

planQ

Bronze

Post by planQ » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:48 pm

What would you say the percentage of students using the Cav Computers Law school bundle computer is?

I understand this may be difficult to tell as I imagine many people have mac's and it might be hard to tell if it is the UVA mac or just a mac they had/bought elsewhere.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:12 pm

planQ wrote:What would you say the percentage of students using the Cav Computers Law school bundle computer is?

I understand this may be difficult to tell as I imagine many people have mac's and it might be hard to tell if it is the UVA mac or just a mac they had/bought elsewhere.
I'd guess it's pretty high simply because of the availability of loaner laptops. Still it's probably much higher in undergraduate than in the grad schools.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:25 am

BruceWayne wrote:

So far my section is pretty chill and pretty much everyone goes to all social events. If someone doesn't show at this point in the semester, I assume they are a douche, FWIW.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:15 am

yngblkgifted wrote:So far my section is pretty chill and pretty much everyone goes to all social events. If someone doesn't show at this point in the semester, I assume they are a douche, FWIW.
:roll:

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:25 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

So far my section is pretty chill and pretty much everyone goes to all social events. If someone doesn't show at this point in the semester, I assume they are a douche, FWIW.
I hope you're joking... You know, there are married people and people with kids. People aren't necessarily douches just because they have other life commitments.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Married people are all douches.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Cavalier wrote:Married people are all douches.
I'm married, so I can say with authority that this is true.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:45 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

I hope you're joking... You know, there are married people and people with kids. People aren't necessarily douches just because they have other life commitments.
I was being sarcastic. However, I'm actually just surprised at how many people do show up to these events considering all the reading and shit we have to do. :) Even married people come. I've met a few spouses. I am assuming this will die down at some point in the semester but right now I am thoroughly enjoying all the social events.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:

Your wife is the best. We miss her

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:45 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

Your wife is the best. We miss her
I'll bring her to bar review or something one of these days. I'll try to get her to drink more than one Long Island this time. I promise hilarity will ensue.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”