UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawcapture

Bronze

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by lawcapture » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:52 pm

Do most students live with roommates? is there a roommate finder like in college or should I count on friends of friends/craigslist

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:47 pm

Varrus wrote:
Varrus wrote:Looks like Order of the Coif notifications have gone out for c/o 2016. Anyone have any information on what the GPA cutoff was this year? Thanks.
Bump.

Sorry to be That Guy. Anyone have any information on this? Many thanks.
I don't believe they announce it--it's not like VLR where the cutoff is available upon request (or not available at all, depending on whether this year's VLR managing board decides it wants to follow its bylaws). I think the only way to figure it out would be if someone around the cutoff (3.6? 3.7? 3.8?) let us know if they made it or not. Or if Ruth Payne is allowed to use email again.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:03 am

lawcapture wrote:Do most students live with roommates? is there a roommate finder like in college or should I count on friends of friends/craigslist
Can't speak to other years, but this year's 1L class used Facebook heavily for this. We used the official class FB page, and then created another unofficial one that didn't have any of the admissions folks in it. Might be something worth looking into doing, cause advance networking with your future classmates can be pretty clutch.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:38 am

rhododactylos wrote:
Varrus wrote:
Varrus wrote:Looks like Order of the Coif notifications have gone out for c/o 2016. Anyone have any information on what the GPA cutoff was this year? Thanks.
Bump.

Sorry to be That Guy. Anyone have any information on this? Many thanks.
I don't believe they announce it--it's not like VLR where the cutoff is available upon request (or not available at all, depending on whether this year's VLR managing board decides it wants to follow its bylaws). I think the only way to figure it out would be if someone around the cutoff (3.6? 3.7? 3.8?) let us know if they made it or not. Or if Ruth Payne is allowed to use email again.
It's higher than a mid 3.6. Only data point I can give you.

Also lol @ Ruth Payne.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:07 pm

I'm number 13 on the Jeffersonian wait list. Should I assume that I'll be living there in the fall, or keep researching other options?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:23 pm

SweetTort wrote:I'm number 13 on the Jeffersonian wait list. Should I assume that I'll be living there in the fall, or keep researching other options?
You're in.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:55 pm

Are there any batting cages near the school? I'd like to step my softball game up before the fall 8)

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:57 pm

It's slow pitch. You'll be fine.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:41 pm

First Offense wrote:It's slow pitch. You'll be fine.
Oh, lol.

Thanks for all of the info!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:41 pm

How's parking on campus? I don't think I'll have decided whether I'll attend UVA until around Feb/March so I might end up in an apartment way off campus and have to drive (unless there is good public transit)

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:45 pm

MAPP wrote:How's parking on campus? I don't think I'll have decided whether I'll attend UVA until around Feb/March so I might end up in an apartment way off campus and have to drive (unless there is good public transit)
There isn't great public transit - but you shouldn't have trouble finding an apartment close to campus even fairly late.

That being said, I think parking is okay. The lot closest to the school is done by lottery I think. There's also a lot that's a bit further away, and there is some chance you can find street parking on Arlington if all else fails.

But really, the best bet is to live either on Arlington or in Ivy and just walk.

potatoes

New

Post by potatoes » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:57 pm

Congrats and welcome! Skipping your first 3 questions because I don't have anything to add.
SweetTort wrote:
4. I'm interested in doing a bunch of clubs (Democrats, Libel Show, Moot Court, Wine Club) but I know that 1L's should keep their plates light. What's the max amount of stuff you would recommend? I recommend signing up for all of the clubs you are interested in, and then just taking control of the amount of responsibility you take on. A lot of these groups will have listservs and host events that you can choose to attend when it works for you, so if you feel too busy, as long as you're not in leadership, there will be no downside to being a part of them. Joining the group will get you on the listserv so you're always apprised of what's happening, and then you can be however involved works for you. (This obviously isn't true for moot court, but it is true for most of the ones you listed).

5. Any hidden gems at UVA law to know about? Cool spots, great classes, restaurants-- anything you wished you knew as a 1L. Carter Mountain has the "Sunset Series" in the early fall - which is free live music at the orchard. Carter Mountain has an incredible view of C'ville, and of course has cider/hard cider, apple cider donuts, etc. It's a nice getaway from North Grounds and a fun thing to do with your section.

Thanks y'all, and go Cavs!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:12 am

First Offense wrote:
MAPP wrote:How's parking on campus? I don't think I'll have decided whether I'll attend UVA until around Feb/March so I might end up in an apartment way off campus and have to drive (unless there is good public transit)
There isn't great public transit - but you shouldn't have trouble finding an apartment close to campus even fairly late.

That being said, I think parking is okay. The lot closest to the school is done by lottery I think. There's also a lot that's a bit further away, and there is some chance you can find street parking on Arlington if all else fails.

But really, the best bet is to live either on Arlington or in Ivy and just walk.
Parking isn't a lottery unless you want to park literally with faculty. Most students who commute park adjacent to Caplin Auditorium, either directly adjacent to it (more expensive), or down the hill near the Park (more reasonably priced).

Your last point is the most realistic for the average student though: live near the school and walk. Use your car when you need it for other things, but realistically those with cars drive very little unless they commute from farther out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:59 am

UVA2B wrote:
First Offense wrote:

Parking isn't a lottery unless you want to park literally with faculty. Most students who commute park adjacent to Caplin Auditorium, either directly adjacent to it (more expensive), or down the hill near the Park (more reasonably priced).

Your last point is the most realistic for the average student though: live near the school and walk. Use your car when you need it for other things, but realistically those with cars drive very little unless they commute from farther out.
See - I lived on Arlington and didn't worry about parking. Just remember the emails about a lottery every fall.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:09 pm

How much do I have to study for a Balnave PR final? I went to the first class, never again, never read. I took the MPRE if that helps

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:15 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:How much do I have to study for a Balnave PR final? I went to the first class, never again, never read. I took the MPRE if that helps
I did the same. Studied for 2 hours the night before, got a B+ with minimal effort on the exam. You can use the barbri/themis outlines (and basically any resource you want).

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Yardbird wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:How much do I have to study for a Balnave PR final? I went to the first class, never again, never read. I took the MPRE if that helps
I did the same. Studied for 2 hours the night before, got a B+ with minimal effort on the exam. You can use the barbri/themis outlines (and basically any resource you want).
Awesome, thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:10 pm

Can 1L's do J-term?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:38 pm

SweetTort wrote:Can 1L's do J-term?
Yeah. Assume you're getting a B+ (wider curves during J term) so plan accordingly

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Br3v wrote:
Yeah. Assume you're getting a B+ (wider curves during J term) so plan accordingly
Since you don't know what your grades are when you register, is it a boon or bane to have a median grade?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:04 pm

SweetTort wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Since you don't know what your grades are when you register, is it a boon or bane to have a median grade?
I mean a median grade for one credit is only going to have a noticeable effect on people who killed their exams or people who had trouble. I think you can register then withdraw (check that) so if you want to hedge against some bad grades then maybe just register and then drop it if you end up being fine. I think you'll know some grades before then, right?

Regardless, again, one credit B+ isn't a big deal unless you are at one of the extreme ends of the class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:42 pm

Br3v wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Br3v wrote:
I mean a median grade for one credit is only going to have a noticeable effect on people who killed their exams or people who had trouble. I think you can register then withdraw (check that) so if you want to hedge against some bad grades then maybe just register and then drop it if you end up being fine. I think you'll know some grades before then, right?

Regardless, again, one credit B+ isn't a big deal unless you are at one of the extreme ends of the class.

Gotcha. Thanks!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Br3v wrote:
Somewhat important to remember the break will likely be pretty stocked with interviews/networking events/decompressing from finals if you're doing it right, which should make you think twice about doing a J term course during 1L. There's nothing precluding you from doing it, but your time may be better served focusing on summer employment than getting that 1 credit B+ in the bank.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:45 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Somewhat important to remember the break will likely be pretty stocked with interviews/networking events/decompressing from finals if you're doing it right, which should make you think twice about doing a J term course during 1L. There's nothing precluding you from doing it, but your time may be better served focusing on summer employment than getting that 1 credit B+ in the bank.
Do y'all know anything about alternative winter break?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:14 pm

SweetTort wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Do y'all know anything about alternative winter break?
What exactly do you want to know? There will be comparatively few alternative winter breaks (most are for Spring Break). They will be advertised via email as they're identified, and there will be firm deadlines for signing up for them. Most I've spoken to who have done them have really enjoyed them, and it can be a great way to knock out pro bono hours if you're planning on using PILA grant during the summer. But again, it'll take up a significant amount of time that you might end up needing for interviews, etc. Winter break really is your best opportunity to make headway on your summer employment because you'll have undivided time to send applications, respond to requests for interviews, and do research on what's available to you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”