UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
albanach

Gold

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by albanach » Wed May 02, 2012 9:01 pm

dailygrind wrote:Hey, just throwing this out there, but if any of the 3Ls have old outlines that they wouldn't mind sharing, I would absolutely love to take them off your hands while you've still got them. I still plan to take a few substantive classes before I graduate and it'd be awesome to have some outlines to work off of. Thanks!
Or they could upload them to the SBA website, for the common good.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed May 02, 2012 10:36 pm

albanach wrote:
dailygrind wrote:Hey, just throwing this out there, but if any of the 3Ls have old outlines that they wouldn't mind sharing, I would absolutely love to take them off your hands while you've still got them. I still plan to take a few substantive classes before I graduate and it'd be awesome to have some outlines to work off of. Thanks!
Or they could upload them to the SBA website, for the common good.
Some people are shy about sharing with such a large audience. For whoever those souls are, I offer another avenue. But yeah, SBA's a solid choice, too.

sherpaorlawschool

Bronze

Post by sherpaorlawschool » Thu May 03, 2012 10:04 am

chem wrote:Damn ASW propaganda
If they target the right markets, most UVA students are able to get interviews for 1L SAs that can turn into valuable connections for 2L SAs. The effort certainly doesn't guarantee a 1L SA. Some people even feel like they wasted their time trying. However, others make those connections and are able to turn them into pre-OGI interviews.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu May 03, 2012 11:01 am

sherpaorlawschool wrote:
If they target the right markets, most UVA students are able to get interviews for 1L SAs that can turn into valuable connections for 2L SAs. The effort certainly doesn't guarantee a 1L SA. Some people even feel like they wasted their time trying. However, others make those connections and are able to turn them into pre-OGI interviews.
Or you just get good interview experience whether or not you make a connection for 2L OGI. I had interviews with Alabama firms that essentially told me, "Since you've never been to Birmingham, we really aren't interested" but it was still a good experience to have an actual OGI interview. That was the biggest benefit.

Look, 1L SA are rare and if you get one, great. Lower loans, more bottles, whatever. But it's not necessary to get a great 2L SA. Do something lawl-related 1L summer and you're fine.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu May 03, 2012 11:48 am

desertlaw wrote:
sherpaorlawschool wrote:
Or you just get good interview experience whether or not you make a connection for 2L OGI. I had interviews with Alabama firms that essentially told me, "Since you've never been to Birmingham, we really aren't interested" but it was still a good experience to have an actual OGI interview. That was the biggest benefit.

Look, 1L SA are rare and if you get one, great. Lower loans, more bottles, whatever. But it's not necessary to get a great 2L SA. Do something lawl-related 1L summer and you're fine.
Totes. If you aren't from the south where firms tend to hire 1Ls its going to be an uphill battle even with good grades. I'm from a terrible flyover state where there aren't tons of 1L jobs floating around and had to fight like crazy just to get an interview. Just know that OGI is much easier and don't be discouraged when you (predictably) don't get a 1L job. Keep in mind that there are other paid opportunities that aren't firms...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Thu May 03, 2012 12:04 pm

I realize it is a little too early for this to be extremely relevant but does anyone know when Professors have to have their grades in by this semester? Alternatively, anyone have any idea when they had to last semester?

I just feel better when I know things. lol

sherpaorlawschool

Bronze

Post by sherpaorlawschool » Thu May 03, 2012 12:07 pm

desertlaw wrote:
sherpaorlawschool wrote:

Right. I didn't mean to imply that applying for 1L SAs is necessary or sufficient for getting a 2L SA. I only meant to convey that there may be a benefit for some of those that apply for 1L SAs but don't end up getting offers. Like I said, some people I know applied to firms and felt it was a complete waste of time.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu May 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Heat wrote:I realize it is a little too early for this to be extremely relevant but does anyone know when Professors have to have their grades in by this semester? Alternatively, anyone have any idea when they had to last semester?

Probably somewhere around June 15th is the deadline.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Thu May 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks 5ky!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 pm

5ky wrote:
Heat wrote:I realize it is a little too early for this to be extremely relevant but does anyone know when Professors have to have their grades in by this semester? Alternatively, anyone have any idea when they had to last semester?

But tendency in the past has been that professors turn them in quicker than Christmas break because whenever they finish grading these, their summer starts. During winter break, they take as long as they want and can continue to grade into next semester.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu May 03, 2012 12:57 pm

desertlaw wrote:
5ky wrote:

But tendency in the past has been that professors turn them in quicker than Christmas break because whenever they finish grading these, their summer starts. During winter break, they take as long as they want and can continue to grade into next semester.
It just varies by professor, really. I've gotten my fall grades further away from the deadline than I did for my spring grades.

Also, the deadline for fall is about 6 weeks after exams are over, and more like 4 weeks for spring grades.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 pm

I received my grades around the same time both semesters it seems. Throwing them down a flight of stairs takes the same amount of time whether it's January or June.

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:59 pm

This is the formula:

Take whatever you think would be the last possible day beyond which it would be incredibly unreasonable to receive your grades. Then add 3 weeks to that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Thu May 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Not sure if I might get better results asking this elsewhere.. but does anyone off hand have the prompt for the 'Why UVA' essay? Or at least the specified length

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:16 pm

Grades are usually due by 4 weeks after the last flex exam slot tenure.

Has anyone else on here been the World Market? I went yesterday and I'm still having an out of body experience. You walk in, and it looks like a trap for middle-aged women with distinctly middle class taste. The kind of place they can get something "exotic and funky" that is, in all actuality, totally safe. The decor pushes boundaries about as hard as Thomas Kinkade.

But then, in the back, ton of booze. Good booze. Make your own six pack of beer with 2 dollar Rogue Dead Guys and Double hopped fineness. In retrospect, I should have checked the freshness dates before getting so excited, but I mixed a sixer right quick. I also bought a an awesome Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Never judge a book by its cover.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu May 03, 2012 8:45 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Not sure if I might get better results asking this elsewhere.. but does anyone off hand have the prompt for the 'Why UVA' essay? Or at least the specified length
Unless they've changed it, there is no official Why UVA. They say they'll accept something along those lines, but it's not official.

So the prompt is "Why UVA?" Make it about a page.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu May 03, 2012 9:18 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Grades are usually due by 4 weeks after the last flex exam slot tenure.

Has anyone else on here been the World Market?
I thought it was a bit like Foods of All Nations with not as much food but lots more furniture.

Still it's a handy place for getting decent candy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:46 pm

5ky wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:Not sure if I might get better results asking this elsewhere.. but does anyone off hand have the prompt for the 'Why UVA' essay? Or at least the specified length
Unless they've changed it, there is no official Why UVA. They say they'll accept something along those lines, but it's not official.

So the prompt is "Why UVA?" Make it about a page.
Yeah no official prompt, just an optional essay where you can say why you'd like to attend to UVA. Mine was about 2 pages FWIW.

niro5

New

Post by niro5 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:52 pm

So I'm pretty sure I have no interest in getting one of the Cavalier Computer bundles. If I do go for my own laptop, what software will I need?

Will Windows 7 Home be sufficient?
Will Office Home/Student be sufficient?
Is there any additional software I'll need?
Am I completely crazy not to get a CAV bundle?

Also: First time poster, I'm completely psyched to meet you all in August!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri May 04, 2012 1:18 pm

niro5 wrote:So I'm pretty sure I have no interest in getting one of the Cavalier Computer bundles. If I do go for my own laptop, what software will I need?

Yes, yes, no, no.

StanleyF

New

Post by StanleyF » Fri May 04, 2012 1:30 pm

niro5 wrote:So I'm pretty sure I have no interest in getting one of the Cavalier Computer bundles. If I do go for my own laptop, what software will I need?

Being a Mac user, I don't know nothing 'bout Windows. I can say, though, that the MacBook I bought through Cav was a good price and, even better, the two times I've needed repairs (due to my own, mysterious ability to harm the hardware of every electronic device I own) I've dropped it off with them and they've given me a loaner while they fixed it. Didn't cost me a dime.

For software, I agree-you only need Office and you'll be golden.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri May 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Yeah, if I recall correctly, the Mac bundle isn't a huge ripoff. But the PC bundle is, simply because you can buy a PC for so much cheaper.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 pm

5ky wrote:

Yes, yes, no, no.
I agree and would also add that Office Student is only like $15 at the book store the first time you get it. So I wouldn't pay $100 or whatever from Dell/HP/whoever. Just wait and get it when you get here.

EDIT: I think you can also get the operating system for like $10 but I would call the law bookstore and just ask.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri May 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Heat wrote:
5ky wrote:

Yes, yes, no, no.
I agree and would also add that Office Student is only like $15 at the book store the first time you get it. So I wouldn't pay $100 or whatever from Dell/HP/whoever. Just wait and get it when you get here.

EDIT: I think you can also get the operating system for like $10 but I would call the law bookstore and just ask.
Yes, you can buy both Windows 7 and Student Office from the bookstore for $10-20 dollars each, so definitely wait until you get here to do that.

niro5

New

Post by niro5 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:11 pm

5ky wrote:
Yes, you can buy both Windows 7 and Student Office from the bookstore for $10-20 dollars each, so definitely wait until you get here to do that.
^^just called, true story.

Thanks for the help!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”