UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Gold

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by 005618502 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:49 am

thesealocust wrote:Alive! That was an interesting way to spend a Monday for sure.

I am done with law school.
I speak for all future 1Ls when I say we are sad you are leaving. But congrats!

I really hope all you UVAers stick around here even once you graduate

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue May 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Random question to help me procrastinate:

Brewing beer is a hobby of mine. Are there any stores that sell ingredients/materials? Or is it all going to be online shopping for me

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue May 01, 2012 8:14 pm

crossing closed book closed constitution con law exam off the bucket list

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Tue May 01, 2012 8:16 pm

chem wrote:Random question to help me procrastinate:

Brewing beer is a hobby of mine. Are there any stores that sell ingredients/materials? Or is it all going to be online shopping for me
I shop at Whole Foods and they seem to have a kit with materials/ingredients.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Wed May 02, 2012 12:50 pm

How funny was that e-mail this morning re: study rooms. Are people really that sad that they leave their shoes in the study rooms? Not to mention thats absolutely disgusting.

Do people really need/want to study together that badly that they leave all their crap in the study rooms AFTER an e-mail already came out telling people not to?

Anyone care to explain because this is just lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Wed May 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:How funny was that e-mail this morning re: study rooms. Are people really that sad that they leave their shoes in the study rooms? Not to mention thats absolutely disgusting.

Do people really need/want to study together that badly that they leave all their crap in the study rooms AFTER an e-mail already came out telling people not to?

Anyone care to explain because this is just lol.
I agree but I also don't see the need to complain to Ballenger about it. Both sides could find somewhere else to study.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Gonna be honest, I usually delete most emails from MB without reading. Went back to read this one for the lulz. Was not disappoint. The choice in shoes was...interesting.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Yeah, I never study in those rooms but I'm just saying you get an e-mail about it, and then you keep doing it, really? Not to mention it just seems so gross now. They need to like fumigate that shit now.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed May 02, 2012 1:29 pm

The glass walled study rooms in slaughter are the most precious natural resource in Charlottesville. Many Bothans have died in struggles over their control.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Wed May 02, 2012 2:00 pm

pretty sure i saw some 3Ls studying in the SullCrom glass palace yesterday afternoon, but i'm not going to name names

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Wed May 02, 2012 3:07 pm

O.k., I was just accepted to UVA and Cornell this week. I realize these two schools are extremely different environments. I would be attending either one at sticker I believe. I am interested in doing tax law big law in either Texas or NYC. UVA seems like a no brainer on the basis of better tax program, more business oriented classes, higher ranking, probably better able to place in Texas, etc. Also more fun to go to I suspect. I'm just wondering if y'all considered Cornell and how you think UVA worked out in comparison and if you think I'm missing a big issue

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 3:22 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:O.k., I was just accepted to UVA and Cornell this week. I realize these two schools are extremely different environments. I would be attending either one at sticker I believe. I am interested in doing tax law big law in either Texas or NYC. UVA seems like a no brainer on the basis of better tax program, more business oriented classes, higher ranking, probably better able to place in Texas, etc. Also more fun to go to I suspect. I'm just wondering if y'all considered Cornell and how you think UVA worked out in comparison and if you think I'm missing a big issue
I visited both during their respective asws. Here are my thoughts about your comments.

- I am not convinced UVA is more fun than Cornell. They are both so similar in environment that its bizarre to me Cornell gets dumped on as a miserable place while uva is reputed as awesome. Granted I visited Cornell when the weather was nice but I don't think youll have less fun there. What ultimately makes Cornell more dull is its location in the middle of nowhere, not the weather but you can say the same about Charlottesville.

- specialty programs and rankings don't matter for placement at this level. I suggest you visit both and figure out where you'll be happiest. Cornell might have a slight edge for NYC but I think uva places better for clerk ships.

Good luck

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Wed May 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:O.k., I was just accepted to UVA and Cornell this week. I realize these two schools are extremely different environments. I would be attending either one at sticker I believe. I am interested in doing tax law big law in either Texas or NYC. UVA seems like a no brainer on the basis of better tax program, more business oriented classes, higher ranking, probably better able to place in Texas, etc. Also more fun to go to I suspect. I'm just wondering if y'all considered Cornell and how you think UVA worked out in comparison and if you think I'm missing a big issue
I visited both during their respective asws. Here are my thoughts about your comments.

- I am not convinced UVA is more fun than Cornell. They are both so similar in environment that its bizarre to me Cornell gets dumped on as a miserable place while uva is reputed as awesome. Granted I visited Cornell when the weather was nice but I don't think youll have less fun there. What ultimately makes Cornell more dull is its location in the middle of nowhere, not the weather but you can say the same about Charlottesville.

- specialty programs and rankings don't matter for placement at this level. I suggest you visit both and figure out where you'll be happiest. Cornell might have a slight edge for NYC but I think uva places better for clerk ships.

Good luck
As someone who went to undergrad relatively close to Cornell, the climate difference should not be underestimated to many, many, people. If your from Texas (or even if your not) you should be sure that your going to like upstate New York's climate if weather factors into your happiness at all. As far as placing better in either state I will withhold my comment for the knowledgeable people on actually useful subjects.
Last edited by Heat on Wed May 02, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Heat wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:

Good luck
As someone who went to undergrad relatively close to Cornell, the climate difference should not be underestimated to many, many, people. If your from Texas you should be sure that your going to like upstate New York's climate if whether factors into your happiness at all. As far as placing better in either state I will withhold my comment for the knowledgeable people on actually useful subjects.
Honestly the heat and humidity in Virginia makes the weather there unbearable
Just my opinion

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Honestly the heat and humidity in Virginia makes the weather there unbearable
Just my opinion
Totally valid opinion. They are both completely different climates.

Weather isn't really a factor for me either way but my significant other would have killed me if I considered staying in upstate New York for law school because the weather depressed her so much. To each his own.

Point is, know what you're getting into. Weather probably shouldn't be a huge factor to many people but to some its a huge one. (Whether looking at Virginia's or NY's)

P.S. I can't type today, I'm editing out the wah-zoo.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Wed May 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks for the responses y'all! Good information to consider. Also, i realize that rankings fluctuate each year but I feel more comfortable with UVA because it seems to be moving up, if even a little, whereas Cornell has dropped to 14. Any truth in this?

In terms of the weather, I have been in Austin for four years, which delightfully includes both Dallas level heat and Houston level humidity. However, I grew up and went to high school in Kansas City which gets surprisingly cold in the winter and am used to skiing in Colorado, visiting Chicago, etc. so I think I could be comfortable in either place.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 3:43 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:Thanks for the responses y'all! Good information to consider. Also, i realize that rankings fluctuate each year but I feel more comfortable with UVA because it seems to be moving up, if even a little, whereas Cornell has dropped to 14. Any truth in this?

In terms of the weather, I have been in Austin for four years, which delightfully includes both Dallas level heat and Houston level humidity. However, I grew up and went to high school in Kansas City which gets surprisingly cold in the winter and am used to skiing in Colorado, visiting Chicago, etc. so I think I could be comfortable in either place.
Peer schools are peer. Ranking fluctuations don't matter
Go with where you're most comfortable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote: Honestly the heat and humidity in Virginia makes the weather there unbearable
Just my opinion
True, but because of the academic calendar you only catch the tail end of summer. The same is not true of winter.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:28 pm

thesealocust wrote:The glass walled study rooms in slaughter are the most precious natural resource in Charlottesville. Many Bothans have died in struggles over their control.
Is studying in groups really that beneficial in LS? I never studied in groups in UG (tried a couple times and just talked about weekend/sports). I also cant stand studying in the library so if I can study at home, alone, that would be ideal lol unless groups help a lot.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Wed May 02, 2012 4:38 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
thesealocust wrote:The glass walled study rooms in slaughter are the most precious natural resource in Charlottesville. Many Bothans have died in struggles over their control.
Is studying in groups really that beneficial in LS? I never studied in groups in UG (tried a couple times and just talked about weekend/sports). I also cant stand studying in the library so if I can study at home, alone, that would be ideal lol unless groups help a lot.
Depends on the person. I think going over practice exams is a really good way to prepare for exams. Going over outlines together - not as much. But that's just me. It seems like a lot of the group studying in those glass rooms is just "making sure I sit near people and feel motivated because they are working so hard."

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed May 02, 2012 4:46 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote: Honestly the heat and humidity in Virginia makes the weather there unbearable
Just my opinion
True, but because of the academic calendar you only catch the tail end of summer. The same is not true of winter.
Is it also true that at Harvard they get together and write new Bluebook rules on Thursday afternoons when it's 50 degrees outside while in Virginia it's in the 70s and we're enjoying the courtyard keg?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Average July high of 88 is unbearable? Where are you all from?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed May 02, 2012 5:30 pm

If $$$ at Cornell and you want NYC, go to Cornell and hate yourself. If even price wise, come to UVa, especially if you are interested in BigTexasLaw, people here clean up in Texas. If

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:Average July high of 88 is unbearable? Where are you all from?
Its not the temperature thats the issue. I just don't see sweating buckets on your way to class as much of an upgrade from freezing on the way to class. And I was there in march and the humidity plus heat was terrible

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:10 pm

Don't go anywhere at sticker (unless of course you have parents who will foot the bill). Are you on fucking crizzly-crack?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”