UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nattybro

Bronze

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Post by nattybro » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:03 pm

I'm coming down for the Phish show this saturday... what are the fun spots for going out afterward?

nattybro

Bronze

Post by nattybro » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Boo to you, Boo.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:13 pm

Hey, if there are any UVA peeps left answering questions in this thread, I have one...hopefully someone will be able to shed some light....

Is there any kind of gay scene in Charlottesville? From what I've read it seems like there is a good amount of conservatism alive and well at UVA and in Charlottesville, does this translate into a less than welcome atmosphere for gays and lesbians? Have you noticed any kind of gay community on campus and in the city? Would public affection between gay couples be a bad idea in the area?

thanks in advance if anyone can provide any insight...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:21 pm

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:22 pm

tintin wrote:Hey, if there are any UVA peeps left answering questions in this thread, I have one...hopefully someone will be able to shed some light....

Is there any kind of gay scene in Charlottesville? From what I've read it seems like there is a good amount of conservatism alive and well at UVA and in Charlottesville, does this translate into a less than welcome atmosphere for gays and lesbians? Have you noticed any kind of gay community on campus and in the city? Would public affection between gay couples be a bad idea in the area?

thanks in advance if anyone can provide any insight...
I'm sure someone who actually knows something might come by (though we are on the cusp of exams), but there was some comment on this on page 5 of this thread.

edit: ^^^There ya go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
jms1987 wrote:The more I read about UVA the more interested I get! Its currently my #1 choice of the T14 along with Northwestern
Possibly the two most diametrically opposed peer schools.
I'm aware they are very different, but thats what I'm interested in as of now

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Why are there so many smart people at this school? :evil: :evil: :evil:

...back to practice tests.

SweetnessUVA

New

Post by SweetnessUVA » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Since it's exam time, it may be an appropriate time to ask about how people found their practice exams. Are they posted by the professors or do you just have to find upperclassmen to get them from?

Similarly, any superstar 1L's (or above) interested in sending some to me (if they're digital, of course) so I can get an idea of whether most of the exams are fact-based, policy-based, etc. Thanks.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:00 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:Since it's exam time, it may be an appropriate time to ask about how people found their practice exams. Are they posted by the professors or do you just have to find upperclassmen to get them from?

Similarly, any superstar 1L's (or above) interested in sending some to me (if they're digital, of course) so I can get an idea of whether most of the exams are fact-based, policy-based, etc. Thanks.
No.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:33 pm

CE2JD wrote:
SweetnessUVA wrote:Since it's exam time, it may be an appropriate time to ask about how people found their practice exams. Are they posted by the professors or do you just have to find upperclassmen to get them from?

No.
+1

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:51 pm

To answer your first question: some old exams are posted.

To answer your second question: see responses above. (And really? As a 0L you want to see exams? Is that really a factor in choosing schools? Because I can pretty much guarantee that every school has multiple professors who take multiple approaches in every discipline.)

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:39 pm

CE2JD wrote:Why are there so many smart people at this school? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Nothing like getting up from a final and realizing there's no way that the focal point of every question was substantive unconscionability in contracts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Why are there so many smart people at this school? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Nothing like getting up from a final and realizing there's no way that the focal point of every question was substantive unconscionability in contracts.
In my Contracts final I felt like the most obvious response to everything is "The Statute of Frauds would/would not bar this because..."

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:07 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

In my Contracts final I felt like the most obvious response to everything is "The Statute of Frauds would/would not bar this because..."
Goddamnit i didn't mention SoF because I was so busy exploring the NUANCES of unconscionability. There are two kinds you know.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:08 am

Kohinoor wrote:Goddamnit i didn't mention SoF because I was so busy exploring the NUANCES of unconscionability. There are two kinds you know.
I don't think I ever discussed unconscionability. That might be a mistake on my part, now that I think about it.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:10 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:20 am

YCrevolution wrote:I forbid this type of discussion, because I don't want to know everything I did wrong on the exams.
I was gonna make a comment to the effect of, you don't have the power to forbid anything, and then I was like... oh, wait.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:25 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Goddamnit i didn't mention SoF because I was so busy exploring the NUANCES of unconscionability. There are two kinds you know.
I don't think I ever discussed unconscionability. That might be a mistake on my part, now that I think about it.
Nobody ever discusses it because its an amorphous doctrine that is rarely followed and is only really brought up when you're desperate for answers. There has never been a hypo where you couldn't state the following and be correct.

"This case raises issues of unconscionability due to the disparity in bargaining power between the parties and the possibility that these terms could be seen as unjustifiably favorable to one party."

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:00 am

ITT: UVA 1Ls taking questions from UVA 1Ls?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:06 am

thesealocust wrote:ITT: UVA 1Ls taking questions from UVA 1Ls?
Why not? It's not like anyone else is using the thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:20 am

Ok here's a question.

Scale of 1 to 10 on your own smart scale, how smart are you classmates?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:35 am

jawsthegreat wrote:Ok here's a question.

Assuming "5" is me... There's a couple that appear to be 2-3s (though they could be silent gunners), a shitload of 5-6s, and enough 7-10s making me nervous they're gonna wreck the curve for the rest of us.

Life at a T14 law school is rough. They get to pick from the smartest people in the country and collect them all in one place. If you think about it, there are 200 law schools in the country, if you assume 350 seats for an average law school class (just to get a rough estimate) there's maybe 70,000 new people going to law school every year. There's about 4,000 seats across the entire T14 and they generally tend to be offered to the smartest and most dedicated applicants. That's roughly the top 5-6% of the entire new law school entering class each year going to T14 schools.

So, that means if you get into any T14 school, you're facing people who were considered at least within the top 10% of all people going to law school in that year. Every single one of them. They're all that smart and that capable, and they're all just as hungry to be at the top of the class as you are.

And you're graded on a curve. Food for thought.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:47 am

vanwinkle wrote:

Assuming "5" is me... There's a couple that appear to be 2-3s (though they could be silent gunners), a shitload of 5-6s, and enough 7-10s making me nervous they're gonna wreck the curve for the rest of us.

Life at a T14 law school is rough. They get to pick from the smartest people in the country and collect them all in one place. If you think about it, there are 200 law schools in the country, if you assume 350 seats for an average law school class (just to get a rough estimate) there's maybe 70,000 new people going to law school every year. There's about 4,000 seats across the entire T14 and they generally tend to be offered to the smartest and most dedicated applicants. That's roughly the top 5-6% of the entire new law school entering class each year going to T14 schools.

So, that means if you get into any T14 school, you're facing people who were considered at least within the top 10% of all people going to law school in that year. Every single one of them. They're all that smart and that capable, and they're all just as hungry to be at the top of the class as you are.

And you're graded on a curve. Food for thought.
Lol, sounds like fun. I guess I'm glad I have great secondary market connections for when I inevitably find myself in the bottom 1/3.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:47 am

If I'm a 5 then a ton of 4-5s, a few 6s and one or so 7s per section. I haven't seen anything that points to sheer intellect rather than willingness to study 6 hours a day. I've always maintained that most prodigies are drawn into the hard sciences.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”