UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
paulinaporizkova

Gold

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:47 pm

dailygrind wrote:Anyone in PR with Ryan right now? I just got in off the waitlist, but I'm a little creeped out by how much fluctuation there's been. Does it seem like it's going to be a hellish class or something?
i'm in it. it's fine, she's just a ball buster

texting you nao

616rewind

New

Post by 616rewind » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:23 pm

desertlaw wrote:I interviewed with a few places last year that I had never visited or even considered living in full-time.
You can be honest and say: I know that 2L summer is usually the time where you need to decide where you want to end up, but I'm really interested in your city and would love to try it for my 1L summer. I've heard great things about your city such as XYZ, blah, etc.

Or you can say something about wanting to not go back home and that you're open to a new city for starting your career, a place like YOUR CITY, YOU WONDERFUL OGI INTERVIEWER.

(If you're an absolute stud with grades/interview/softs, then maybe they take a risk on you, but I'm guessing they'll have other good candidates with better ties that would more realistically come to the firm after graduation)

I think realistically you just look at it as a great opportunity for an interview. I remember being super nervous for 1L OGI interviews, but it's good experience to get you somewhat prepared for 2L OGI process.
Thanks. Yea I think I'm just going to use these as practice for 2L OGI. Any idea how many 1Ls actually get something out of this process?

Dake!

New

Post by Dake! » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:45 am

0L here :D
I am almost fully convinced/decided on UVA. But please, any and all, convince me of UVA over Michigan (w/o mention of weather!). Let's say equal aid offers, Pub Int, not sure where I want to practice. Please convince me!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:06 am

Dake! wrote:0L here :D
I am almost fully convinced/decided on UVA. But please, any and all, convince me of UVA over Michigan (w/o mention of weather!). Let's say equal aid offers, Pub Int, not sure where I want to practice. Please convince me!
So you're taking the single biggest difference between the schools and saying don't mention it?

Does Michigan have graded LRW? That would be an added annoyance. If you like softball, obviously UVA wins on that front. If you want your school to look like Hogwarts, Michigan wins there.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:46 am

Pro UVA:

+We're closer to DC, maybe closer to NYC than UM.
+Our LRAP is pretty good these days
+Seems to me, I sold my soul to a firm so what do I know, but it seems that PILA (public interest law association) is pretty active.
+Weather - seriously, I'm not apologizing here. We've had 3 or 4 perfect, clear, fall days in the last week. In late January.
+UVA sports are on the rise, UM football is in free fall.
+ The schools is very nice and bright. They replaced all the carpeting lately. They're renovating part of it over the summer - though that's mostly administrative space.
+ Social Life. I'll pick a random night, last night, a Thursday like any other. I was unable to hang out with some friends, but I caught up with them drunk in my living room at 1:45 a.m.

My Night - drank in a friends living room while reading Libel Show sketches (add libel show to above list), ran off to class with a really passionate trial ad professor, returned to meeting and slammed down a sixer, laughed my ass off, helped a girl who got her car got "a little" stuck in a ditch. By a little, she meant a lot - it was at a 45 degree angle in the ditch. Luckily even the circus folk at UVA are strong and chiseled, so we pushed it out.

My Friends' Night - ran into our neighbors, had some drinks with them, made some sort of gourmet empanada, went to a party, went to the lawn, saw some people streak the lawn (because it was 55 in mid-January, again) then stole and hid the streakers' clothes, smoked Cigars with Thomas Jefferson's statue. They got wings over to end the night. I quote one of them in saying "memories were made."

Michigan
+ Has an in at the Ministry of Magic. But, even with that, you can't bank on getting one of those positions.
- The school looks like a keep. It could be stormed at any moment. Do you want to keep Dragonplate armor in your locker? Do you know how heavy that shit is? Do you know how many iron daggers you'll have to smith before you can even think about making dragon plate armor? Do you know how many dragons you'll have to down before you have enough to smith that stuff?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:47 am

Dake! wrote:0L here :D
Have you spent time in both states?

If you had to pick one of the 2 to live forever where would you pick?

Virginia is the clear winner

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:24 pm

joeshmo39 wrote: Luckily even the circus folk at UVA are strong and chiseled
I now know what my first tattoo will say.

AspiringAcademic

Bronze

Post by AspiringAcademic » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:26 pm

joeshmo39 wrote: Michigan
+ Has an in at the Ministry of Magic. But, even with that, you can't bank on getting one of those positions.
- The school looks like a keep. It could be stormed at any moment. Do you want to keep Dragonplate armor in your locker? Do you know how heavy that shit is? Do you know how many iron daggers you'll have to smith before you can even think about making dragon plate armor? Do you know how many dragons you'll have to down before you have enough to smith that stuff?
I'm not sure how I feel about a school where people do not see the advantages of a building that looks like a keep and contains a good blacksmith. Also, the late winter means that the zombies will be active for a greater proportion of the year.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:17 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
My Friends' Night - ran into our neighbors, had some drinks with them, made some sort of gourmet empanada, went to a party, went to the lawn, saw some people streak the lawn (because it was 55 in mid-January, again) then stole and hid the streakers' clothes, smoked Cigars with Thomas Jefferson's statue. They got wings over to end the night. I quote one of them in saying "memories were made."
Seems about accurate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Michigan
5 dragons or so should provide enough to make a full set of dragonplate armor. That's not much at all.

jwalterweatherman

New

Post by jwalterweatherman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:14 pm

joeshmo39 wrote: - The school looks like a keep. It could be stormed at any moment. Do you want to keep Dragonplate armor in your locker? Do you know how heavy that shit is? Do you know how many iron daggers you'll have to smith before you can even think about making dragon plate armor? Do you know how many dragons you'll have to down before you have enough to smith that stuff?
Damn never thought about it that way. Excellent point.

(PS I've been lurking for a while, thanks for answering questions, y'all).

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:48 pm

desertlaw wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:
Seems about accurate.
Apologies if the nude hoos are posters on this board. Look behind the pillar to the left.

616rewind

New

Post by 616rewind » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Sorry for the dumb question, but since our GPAs are not listed on our unofficial transcripts, should we include them somewhere on our resume/cover letter, or just assume that employers will do the calculation themselves?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:55 pm

616rewind wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but since our GPAs are not listed on our unofficial transcripts, should we include them somewhere on our resume/cover letter, or just assume that employers will do the calculation themselves?
I'd put it on there if its good. If not I wouldn't put it on there.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Doritos wrote:
616rewind wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but since our GPAs are not listed on our unofficial transcripts, should we include them somewhere on our resume/cover letter, or just assume that employers will do the calculation themselves?
I'd put it on there if its good. If not I wouldn't put it on there.
If you got it . . .

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Still haz no gradez

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Longshot here but do any of you know somebody that lives at UVA Place? It is owned by the same company I currently rent from and are basically the same exact apartments, just transplanted in charlottesville. They mention shuttle service to/from UVa but not how long it takes or where it stops off at, which is what I am mainly interested in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Also, how about the graduate centre on Arlinton blvd? It looks like everyone gets their own room and bath what have you guys heard about that place?

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:53 pm

barneytrouble wrote:Longshot here but do any of you know somebody that lives at UVA Place? It is owned by the same company I currently rent from and are basically the same exact apartments, just transplanted in charlottesville. They mention shuttle service to/from UVa but not how long it takes or where it stops off at, which is what I am mainly interested in.
I honestly don't know about the buses. It's right down the street (maybe add a minute or two driving) from Jefferson Ridge/Woodlands/Eagle's Landing. I know they had a sign out that they were renting for literally all of last year.

Since your worried about the bus I'm pretty sure Eagle's Landing also has a bus and is more dorm style like University Place is so that might also be an option for you to look into.

However, this neck of the woods isn't really going to be ideal for someone without a car. Even if your willing to plan around the bus for the purposes of getting to/from school and the bus does drop you off there it would seem really frustrating to depend on a bus for extracurricular activities. There isn't really much food within walking distance (maybe a 10 minute walk to dominos/chinese/fast food and a grocery store). As far as getting to Ivy (the 1L hangout) you could take the bus to wherever and then walk but it adds time to your trip for sure. Also, cabs to those apartment complexes are going to be somewhere around 15-20 bucks to/from the corner which I suppose matters for drinking and for general eating.

To the poster below you: As for grad centre I can't comment. The person I know that lives there ended up like his roommates, who were all law students, but doesn't particularly enjoy the style. It is a pretty decent option distance wise. It's only a minute walk past Arlington Condos (Across the street from Jeffersonian).

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:21 am

Heat wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:Longshot here but do any of you know somebody that lives at UVA Place? It is owned by the same company I currently rent from and are basically the same exact apartments, just transplanted in charlottesville. They mention shuttle service to/from UVa but not how long it takes or where it stops off at, which is what I am mainly interested in.
I honestly don't know about the buses. It's right down the street (maybe add a minute or two driving) from Jefferson Ridge/Woodlands/Eagle's Landing. I know they had a sign out that they were renting for literally all of last year.

Since your worried about the bus I'm pretty sure Eagle's Landing also has a bus and is more dorm style like University Place is so that might also be an option for you to look into.

However, this neck of the woods isn't really going to be ideal for someone without a car. Even if your willing to plan around the bus for the purposes of getting to/from school and the bus does drop you off there it would seem really frustrating to depend on a bus for extracurricular activities. There isn't really much food within walking distance (maybe a 10 minute walk to dominos/chinese/fast food and a grocery store). As far as getting to Ivy (the 1L hangout) you could take the bus to wherever and then walk but it adds time to your trip for sure. Also, cabs to those apartment complexes are going to be somewhere around 15-20 bucks to/from the corner which I suppose matters for drinking and for general eating.

To the poster below you: As for grad centre I can't comment. The person I know that lives there ended up like his roommates, who were all law students, but doesn't particularly enjoy the style. It is a pretty decent option distance wise. It's only a minute walk past Arlington Condos (Across the street from Jeffersonian).
Nah I will be bringing a car... it's just that with it being the exact same company, all inclusive, nice places, and moving from 1000 miles away I am drawn to that place ahead of others. I've got enough things to worry about between now and August without moving vans/VA utility companies/trip up to check places out, so it would just save some (a lot of) hassle.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:35 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:Also, how about the graduate centre on Arlinton blvd? It looks like everyone gets their own room and bath what have you guys heard about that place?
They're more money than if you get a two bedroom in the Jeffersonian and split the cost with a roommate, FWIW. Not sure if it would be more than the Ivy doing the same. If you are dead set on living alone, then it isn't a bad option. It's right across from Bdubs, which is kind of hit or miss whether ppl in your section end up frequenting (ppl in my section go there often, but other sections are hardly ever there). It looks an awful lot like a little bit nicer version of an undergrad dorm (and about the same size as a single dorm). Also, parking isn't that great because you end up sharing the lot with the apartments across the lot.

Location wise, I think anything on Arlington > anywhere else in Cville (at least for 1L's)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:47 am

pjo wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Also, how about the graduate centre on Arlinton blvd? It looks like everyone gets their own room and bath what have you guys heard about that place?
They're more money than if you get a two bedroom in the Jeffersonian and split the cost with a roommate, FWIW. Not sure if it would be more than the Ivy doing the same. If you are dead set on living alone, then it isn't a bad option. It's right across from Bdubs, which is kind of hit or miss whether ppl in your section end up frequenting (ppl in my section go there often, but other sections are hardly ever there). It looks an awful lot like a little bit nicer version of an undergrad dorm (and about the same size as a single dorm). Also, parking isn't that great because you end up sharing the lot with the apartments across the lot.

Location wise, I think anything on Arlington > anywhere else in Cville (at least for 1L's)
It looks like you have up to 4 other people sharing the living area with you. The only thing I dont think I would like about Jeffersonian is that the 2 bedroom only has 1 bath. Plus, I dont know if I will get a place there being in the mid 50s on the waitlist

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:04 am

It may be irrational but I have high hopes as far as grades getting released today. I currently have 0. Out of 5 classes mind you. Only 1 prof had a 1L class last semester. Bush league

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:31 pm

I told student records that if I don't get my grades by the end of the day I'm giving myself all A's. Gotta play hardball.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Carey Bennett must be busy inputting grades because he hasn't been on TLS in awhile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”