UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thethe

New

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by thethe » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:10 pm

5ky wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
thethe wrote:Off topic but what are you guys doing for taxes with finals coming up? Is a form 4468 all we need to postpone? I'm surprised so many students aren't thinking about this as C plus F will be all on our taxes leading up to the bar, no?
(1) I've never heard of C&F looking at your taxes

(2) Maybe you're in a unique/complex situation, but I probably wasted more time on TLS per day than it took to do my taxes while I was in law school?
i just used turbotax every year
my friend had me kind of paranoid in saying they examine this stuff.

i was self employed, freelancing mostly with lots of income coming in but lots of business related expenses - say getting paid 1000 multiple times a week but normally having to spend 600 of that on supplies, transportation, etc. It will take a while to do, just want to postpone it till after exams.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:16 pm

thethe wrote: i was self employed, freelancing mostly with lots of income coming in but lots of business related expenses - say getting paid 1000 multiple times a week but normally having to spend 600 of that on supplies, transportation, etc. It will take a while to do, just want to postpone it till after exams.
Don't you still have to pay up front even if you file an extension? I'm presuming you expect to owe taxes if you've been self employed, though you may have already covered that with estimated payments.

It might be easier to get an accountant. If you're going to owe money, some of the accountant cost might be saved by avoiding fees for paying late.

thethe

New

Post by thethe » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:29 pm

albanach wrote:
thethe wrote: i was self employed, freelancing mostly with lots of income coming in but lots of business related expenses - say getting paid 1000 multiple times a week but normally having to spend 600 of that on supplies, transportation, etc. It will take a while to do, just want to postpone it till after exams.
Don't you still have to pay up front even if you file an extension? I'm presuming you expect to owe taxes if you've been self employed, though you may have already covered that with estimated payments.

It might be easier to get an accountant. If you're going to owe money, some of the accountant cost might be saved by avoiding fees for paying late.
yeah ill justy do it a few days won't impact my grades too much.

what r odds of getting audited - 1%? ill just do the best i can in a reasonable amount of time.

Arthur the Aardvark

New

Post by Arthur the Aardvark » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:00 pm

deleted

thethe

New

Post by thethe » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Arthur the Aardvark wrote:If you are at the median when OCI starts, do you have a great chance of getting big law position?
depends on region. for nyc or dc i'd think it's iffy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Arthur the Aardvark wrote:If you are at the median when OCI starts, do you have a great chance of getting big law position?
No.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:03 pm

thethe wrote: what r odds of getting audited - 1%? ill just do the best i can in a reasonable amount of time.
I get the impression it's pretty small. It'll go up if you're self-employed, and I've heard some deductions will push it up higher still.

That said, I've filed almost a decade worth of self-employed returns, including taking a home-office deduction, and haven't yet been audited.

Arthur the Aardvark

New

Post by Arthur the Aardvark » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:32 pm

deleted

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Arthur the Aardvark wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
No.
Greater than 50% chance?
No, but maybe right around 50%

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arthur the Aardvark

New

Post by Arthur the Aardvark » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:55 pm

deleted

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:50 pm

5ky wrote:
Arthur the Aardvark wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
No.
Greater than 50% chance?
No, but maybe right around 50%
This isn't the same for everyone though. It has a lot to do with you. How personable you are, how well you interview, how willing you are to hustle. At median I think those are big parts of it at least from what I have seen/heard

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:01 am

AssumptionRequired wrote: This isn't the same for everyone though. It has a lot to do with you. How personable you are, how well you interview, how willing you are to hustle. At median I think those are big parts of it at least from what I have seen/heard
Yeah, but on the whole my guess is that averages out to about 50% as a collective group

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:45 am

5ky wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote: This isn't the same for everyone though. It has a lot to do with you. How personable you are, how well you interview, how willing you are to hustle. At median I think those are big parts of it at least from what I have seen/heard
Yeah, but on the whole my guess is that averages out to about 50% as a collective group
From the class of 2014's perspective, it was almost certainly little higher than that (I dont have numbers to cite, just an informed guess)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Is there a specific program used for exams that requires a pc, or is a macbook just as good?

mh013

New

Post by mh013 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Does anyone have experience with getting a judicial externship for 1L summer?
Is it common to apply for these externships all over the country or mainly just the south?

noobishned

New

Post by noobishned » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:45 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:Is there a specific program used for exams that requires a pc, or is a macbook just as good?
Someone in my section of the student panel at ASW asked the same question and the response was that it didn't matter. They also said the majority of kids bring macbooks, FWIW.

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:49 pm

noobishned wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Is there a specific program used for exams that requires a pc, or is a macbook just as good?
Someone in my section of the student panel at ASW asked the same question and the response was that it didn't matter. They also said the majority of kids bring macbooks, FWIW.
Yeah, just looking around the study areas when I was at ASD I saw more macs than PCs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
noobishned wrote:
Yeah, just looking around the study areas when I was at ASD I saw more macs than PCs.
Just wanted to make sure they weren't bootcamping or using parallels or something for exams

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:57 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
noobishned wrote:
Just wanted to make sure they weren't bootcamping or using parallels or something for exams
I don't know what any of that means, but all you do is upload a Word doc to a website. Any laptop will do.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:08 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
noobishned wrote:
I doubt they'd all go through the trouble. No need to add MORE stress to law school! Haha (btw, I'm bringing a MacBook)

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:49 pm

digifly wrote: I doubt they'd all go through the trouble. No need to add MORE stress to law school! Haha (btw, I'm bringing a MacBook)
For a lot of schools, that's exactly what people do. Running bootcamp or vmfusion is really easy, I did it for 2 years to run OneNote, though I abandoned that.

But yeah, at UVA there's no exam software, so you can run OSX or whatever during exams.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:23 pm

5ky wrote:
digifly wrote: I doubt they'd all go through the trouble. No need to add MORE stress to law school! Haha (btw, I'm bringing a MacBook)
For a lot of schools, that's exactly what people do. Running bootcamp or vmfusion is really easy, I did it for 2 years to run OneNote, though I abandoned that.

But yeah, at UVA there's no exam software, so you can run OSX or whatever during exams.
Thanks! I'm on a PC now but I'm contemplating getting a MacBook Air or the smallest MBP for portability/weight reasons. Nice to know I could use either on exams.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:09 am

Is anyone ITT pursuing the Law and Business concentration? The idea of keepingg quantitative skills fresh while in law school is very attractive + I have an interest in finance/econ. How easy is it to take electives in Darden?

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:17 am

armedwithamind wrote:Is anyone ITT pursuing the Law and Business concentration? The idea of keepingg quantitative skills fresh while in law school is very attractive + I have an interest in finance/econ. How easy is it to take electives in Darden?
Thinking about doing this too, but because I have zero business experience. You guys have any opinions or experiences?

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:35 am

North wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:Is anyone ITT pursuing the Law and Business concentration? The idea of keepingg quantitative skills fresh while in law school is very attractive + I have an interest in finance/econ. How easy is it to take electives in Darden?
Thinking about doing this too, but because I have zero business experience. You guys have any opinions or experiences?
I was just discussing this with my BFF tonight. It looks interesting but I only have a couple international trade courses and nothing else even remotely approaching business under my belt so I'm worried that it might be all too much.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”