UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cavalier

Gold

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:58 pm

In my experience, there isn't much of a need to constantly refresh SIS and LawWeb for 1Ls. Between section listservs, Facebook friends, and TLS, you'll find out very soon after an eval or a grade has been posted.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:20 pm

5ky wrote:Looks like Section C's CivPro eval also got posted.
A crim law eval is up too! Exciting!

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:25 pm

so what is the hour span between the grades? Instead of obbessively checking SIS, should I just check in the night?

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:29 pm

uvahooo wrote:so what is the hour span between the grades? Instead of obbessively checking SIS, should I just check in the night?
yeah who exactly is operating the strings here? are there little ladies in an office punching this stuff in 9-5? or do the profs enter it whenever they want any hour of the night?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:32 pm

plum wrote:
uvahooo wrote:so what is the hour span between the grades? Instead of obbessively checking SIS, should I just check in the night?
yeah who exactly is operating the strings here? are there little ladies in an office punching this stuff in 9-5? or do the profs enter it whenever they want any hour of the night?
From what it seems like, the letter grades have already been posted. That is why the evaluations are up. I am guessing it takes the system some time to update the grades.

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:34 pm

plum wrote:
From my experience, it seems like they usually appear on SIS at night, like 10-11 pm (Eastern) or so, at least based on when I first got emails from people in my section announcing the grades were up. Whether this is how the system is timed to release grades or if this is just a coincidence, I have no idea.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:43 pm

I've seen them go up anytime from the late afternoon through about midnight. In response to this and another reply to my earlier post about obsessively checking, haha, of course there is never a NEED to check obsessively. It's more like an unjustifiable compulsion for some of us. Also, that's great if sectionmates help each other out by emailing to the listserv or posting on facebook, but I don't remember my section ever doing that, so that's probably a section-by-section thing.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:05 pm

My understanding, from last year and this year, is that the system works as follows:

(1) Professor turns in their grades (i.e., their secretary turns them in)

(2) Student Records sits on them for some indeterminate amount of time.

(3) Once Student Records has decided that they received the grades, they release the course evaluations on law web.

(4) At some point, they enter the grades into SIS, which seems to update on a daily basis sometime between the late afternoon and midnight.

(5) When they release a large number of 1L grades, SIS crashes right after it updates, and only about 2% of the class gets to see their grades for 24 hours while the rest of the class waits for SIS to be fixed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:48 pm

did anyone (other than sinclair's class) get grades yet?

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:58 pm

plum wrote:did anyone (other than sinclair's class) get grades yet?
I think a section got their grades earlier this morning.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:26 pm

plum wrote:did anyone (other than sinclair's class) get grades yet?
yes

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Last edited by plum on Thu May 26, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Can I give mine back and get a new one?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:37 pm

Did Cary Bennett decide to take the rest of the week off after doing an hour of work on Wednesday?

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 pm

RVP11 wrote:Did Cary Bennett decide to take the rest of the week off after doing an hour of work on Wednesday?
who is that

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:13 pm

plum wrote:
RVP11 wrote:Did Cary Bennett decide to take the rest of the week off after doing an hour of work on Wednesday?
who is that
He runs the student records office. So basically, if he doesn't feel like doing anything, we're not getting any grades. One additional eval was posted yesterday, so I gather that's all that came in since the Wednesday update (which was everything submitted over break).

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:08 pm

Coughlin's crim evals just posted. I swore I wouldn't be monitoring evals this time around... FML.

lawschoolhope

New

Post by lawschoolhope » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm a 0L here who's been admitted recently and will be attending UVA next fall.
I hope this is an appropriate place to ask this question,

1.) Which professors/classes did you enjoy taking? Why? Which semester did you take it?

2.) Which professors/classes did you not enjoy as much or would you not take again? Why?

Although this may be a bit early, I think it will help me and other 0Ls who are confused and a little nervous on what to expect when we start law school.

Thanks!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:53 pm

lawschoolhope wrote:I'm a 0L here who's been admitted recently and will be attending UVA next fall.

1.) Which professors/classes did you enjoy taking? Why? Which semester did you take it?

2.) Which professors/classes did you not enjoy as much or would you not take again? Why?

Although this may be a bit early, I think it will help me and other 0Ls who are confused and a little nervous on what to expect when we start law school.

Thanks!
Since everyone takes the same classes first semester, and the professors are fixed, and you won't know who you have until August, there's no point in thinking about class and professor selection now. Don't be nervous though - just try and have fun before law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:47 am

lawschoolhope wrote:I'm a 0L here who's been admitted recently and will be attending UVA next fall.

Thanks!
hi there! lucky for us it seems UVA spreads out it superstar profs across the sections so no real need to worry. you will most likely get one or two amazing profs and then one or two good to OK profs. Personally i would count your lucky stars if you get Caleb Nelson to teach you civpro. although his class is insanely difficult, he's one of the best professors you could ask for. but UVA does a great job of distributing their great professors to the 1L classes so no need to worry!

lawschoolhope

New

Post by lawschoolhope » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:17 am

Thanks for your responses Cavalier and Plum! I will definitely take both of your advice. I am very excited in moving to Virginia later this year and settling in Charlottesville.

whoknows12

New

Post by whoknows12 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:16 pm

for 2/3Ls, are new grades posted over the weekend?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:23 pm

whoknows12 wrote:for 2/3Ls, are new grades posted over the weekend?
Sometimes they are, but I don't believe new evals are posted. So you should only be refreshing SIS if there is an eval up for one of your classes but no grade.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”