UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Gold

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by 005618502 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:49 pm

swinger wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:I just want to reiterate the comments about our QOL. I am just a 1L but the vibe here is just totally unlike the description that I've heard from any other law school. People here really are friendly, they aren't cutthroat, they actually care about things other than law school, and the professors are (for the most part) concerned about teaching you the material in an understandable way. Let me tell you something, a lot of undergrad schools don't even fit that description---it's a unique place. Honestly, I think I would come to UVA with a full ride over HYS if I had the choice--seriously. Looking back on it, and no disrespect to those schools, but I don't think I could have handled the culture of Columbia, Chicago, Penn, or GULC. All those schools just give off a vibe of really type A students and intense pressure to measure up to whoever is next to you. Honestly, the only difference between the people here and the people in my undergrad is that they do eventually stop partying and buckle down to study here--other than that (and their accomplishments) they are normal people.
I'll vouch for this description, and say that I definitely miss UVA a heck of a lot.
Unless u end up in a random field at 5 AM, i agree also.
One could argue that ending up in a random field at 5 AM adds to the QOL... how many students at other law schools get to have so much fun that they can be put into that situation?
I am very suprised how much i hear of people drinking, blacking out, partying, and still getting biglaw positions above median. It is very impressive. Though it couldnt hurt to not have such a party reputation. (by all means i love to have a good time, just keep it in the community haha)

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:24 pm

from what i have experienced thus far, UVA law students are masters of time management. We are able to plan our days in a way that allows us to work hard during the day, play softball in the evening, hang out with friends, go to the gym, get some work done at night, and still go out and have fun on the weekends (and thursdays for bar review.) Its all about time management. Don't get me wrong though, there are PLENTY of people here who do not drink (but still go out to the bars) and people who just don't party/blackout/whatever but once in a blue moon. The beauty of it is that no matter what you want to find, odds are you can find it here.

jal

New

Post by jal » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:30 pm

I just got into the UVA Class of 2014. I'm in Charlottesville visiting my father, and I'd like to go look at some apartments for next year.

I'm looking for a 1 bedroom, $800 or less. I'd really like to be on a UVA bus route, or some other bus route. I don't want to live in a "party" type place.

Any tips/warnings? When do apartments usually start pre-leasing (or is that even done here?) I went to the University of Texas for undergrad, and apartments there started preleasing in November.

Thanks!!!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:00 pm

jal wrote:I just got into the UVA Class of 2014. I'm in Charlottesville visiting my father, and I'd like to go look at some apartments for next year.

I'm looking for a 1 bedroom, $800 or less. I'd really like to be on a UVA bus route, or some other bus route. I don't want to live in a "party" type place.

Any tips/warnings? When do apartments usually start pre-leasing (or is that even done here?) I went to the University of Texas for undergrad, and apartments there started preleasing in November.

Thanks!!!
Look at arlington court. $700 a month for 1 ba/1br. Directly on the UVA bus route, 0.2 miles from school.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:22 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 am

for 2L/3Ls, how welcoming are your classes to incoming transfer students? I know there aren't many, but just curious

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:48 pm

uwb09 wrote:for 2L/3Ls, how welcoming are your classes to incoming transfer students? I know there aren't many, but just curious
Nobody is going to shun you for being a transfer but there aren't really any official opportunities for transfers to get to know your classmates so you probably have to take the initiative and put yourself out there to be noticed.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:19 pm

gladiator wrote:
uwb09 wrote:for 2L/3Ls, how welcoming are your classes to incoming transfer students? I know there aren't many, but just curious
Nobody is going to shun you for being a transfer but there aren't really any official opportunities for transfers to get to know your classmates so you probably have to take the initiative and put yourself out there to be noticed.
Transfer softball team might be a good way to get out there.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:54 pm

What do you guys do about softball in the winter? like Jan/Feb? Isnt it too cold/snow for softball (never been there in winter, sorry if im mistaken)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:30 am

jt1341 wrote:What do you guys do about softball in the winter? like Jan/Feb? Isnt it too cold/snow for softball (never been there in winter, sorry if im mistaken)
No softball from Thanksgiving through Spring Break generally. Softball is practice in August, regular season early Sept-mid Oct, playoffs as long as they take (rain pushed it to December 1 last year), then spring season is after Spring Break through mid-April, and then playoffs as long as they take, my 1L year they extended into final exam time.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:29 am

Hey guys,

I'm a current 2L, but I have an admissions question. A friend of mine is applying this cycle and is trying to decide whether to go early or regular. The admissions office recently told him that if you don't get in early admission, you just get straight-up waitlisted. As in, you're not reconsidered for regular admission. The office made it sound like that's riskier since, if you apply regular, you can be sitting around for months without being waitlisted during which you're being sort of considered, which could work out better for some people.

First, I'm assuming this is true since it came straight from admissions, but I was surprised to hear that you're not considered for regular admission.

Second, my friend has a GPA above the 25-75% range and an LSAT below it. So that's the perfect ED candidate, right? And I should still encourage him to apply ED, despite admissions making it sound riskier? Or am I off? (I applied regular back in the day, so I know basically nothing about ED...)

Thanks so much for any advice!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:26 am

I don't see how applying ED is riskier. If a person can't get in ED, I can't imagine him being able to get in RD. Sure, as a RD applicant, he may technically have a "chance" at being admitted until March hits, but foregoing the better ED prospects for that chance seems foolish. Plus, as an ED applicant he'll probably get a decision much sooner, which is always a plus.

CaliMizzou

New

Post by CaliMizzou » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Anyone know if UVA is still admitting pretty much all ED applicants with 170+/3.0+? My stats are 170/3.32 and my app is being held up by a couple of letters of rec that should be in by the end of the week. I know I don't have any options right now beyond waiting for the letters of rec to come in, but I was just wondering what people had heard.

Thanks!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:28 pm

No one seems to mention it on here much, but how hard is it to get a job at one of the Virginia firms from UVA (ie williams mullen) if you aren't from VA?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 pm

BruceWayne wrote:No one seems to mention it on here much, but how hard is it to get a job at one of the Virginia firms from UVA (ie Williams Mullen) if you aren't from VA?
Difficult, I think. Richmond is a tough market with firms who don't like to be the safety net when you don't get DC.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:50 pm

BruceWayne wrote:No one seems to mention it on here much, but how hard is it to get a job at one of the Virginia firms from UVA (ie Williams Mullen) if you aren't from VA?
You just need to be genuine and convincing in explaining that you truly want to practice in VA, that it's not merely a back-up option. If you can do that, you have a good chance.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks for both answers. Any estimates as to what percentage of the class seriously goes after these spots? Also, I assume the few firms in NOVA do not fall under this discussion, since they are basically DC firms?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:58 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Thanks for both answers. Any estimates as to what percentage of the class seriously goes after these spots? Also, I assume the few firms in NOVA do not fall under this discussion, since they are basically DC firms?
I think you're right that the NOVA firms are more in the DC market. It's a pretty small number of people who are genuinely targeting Richmond/Tidewater/etc. Only 5 or so from people I talked to (so obviously more than that total...but prob still not a ton).

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:21 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Thanks for both answers. Any estimates as to what percentage of the class seriously goes after these spots? Also, I assume the few firms in NOVA do not fall under this discussion, since they are basically DC firms?
1) Richmond firms - guestimate ~ 1/8 to 1/3 the class bid on various Richmond firms (but, those range from Vault ranked Hunton & Williams and mcguirewoods to smaller firms like williams mullen and Christian & Barton)

2) Very, very few people go for Tidewater firms

3) NOVA seems to be very distinct from DC - the tough thing with NOVA offices is that you have to figure out what they offer as compared to the DC office for the same firm.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:48 pm

So i am thinking about deferring for a year (was already told it would be approved). Is one year of full time work experience enough to make a difference in interviews (I have heard that people with work experience do better at OCI) but is that more then a year?

What kind of jobs should i be looking for, or what would make any kind of difference. I was thinking working for the Livestrong foundation would be very interesting and others would be curious about it. Or getting a job at the state capital where i am, or something like that. Would this make any differnce or should i go for the job based purely on how much money i will make?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:38 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
1) Richmond firms - guestimate ~ 1/8 to 1/3 the class bid on various Richmond firms (but, those range from Vault ranked Hunton & Williams and McGuireWoods to smaller firms like Williams Mullen and Christian & Barton)

3) NOVA seems to be very distinct from DC - the tough thing with NOVA offices is that you have to figure out what they offer as compared to the DC office for the same firm.
Sorry but what is a "Tidewater" firm?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:39 pm

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:25 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
1) Richmond firms - guestimate ~ 1/8 to 1/3 the class bid on various Richmond firms (but, those range from Vault ranked Hunton & Williams and McGuireWoods to smaller firms like Williams Mullen and Christian & Barton)

As for answer (1) above, while a lot of people likely bid some Richmond firm, if we're talking about people who are truly focusing on Richmond (or VA more generally)--as in, it's their top choice or is tied with another location--I stand by my earlier comment that it's a very small number.

AND Richmond firms are very sensitive to this. They regularly pass over higher-ranked students for people that they believe are genuinely interested in practicing in Richmond. They don't want to be your back-up.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:54 pm

This might seem like a too general question. I'll specify more if needed.

How easy is it to get a public interest job after graduation? I'm not really familiar with how public interest sectors hire, but do many of them come to UVA's OGI?

Thanks!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”