UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Gold

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by 005618502 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 pm

omg wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Any students who live at Woodlands or Jefferson Ridge want to weigh in on this?

Woodlands has a bus/transport that goes to the law school at 7:30 and 9am and picks up from the law school at 4pm and 5pm. Could students who live at Jefferson ridge or the Villas at Southern Ridge also take this? or is it for residents only? Is there any kind of transit that goes from this area to the law school besides this shuttle?
The Woodlands shuttle can be pretty helpful, but it also doesn't run fairly frequently--anytime there's snow or ice or sometimes just randomly (like today). As others have said, you definitely don't want to live in that area without a car, though I would definitely recommend it if you do!
This is to Heat and OMG:

Thanks for the responses. That is what I thought. I will be buying a car this summer. Just seeing if I could get away without it. How hard is the distance driving if it is snowing that day? Have you ever regretted living as far as you do? How long does the drive take on a regular weekday? I drove it on the weekend during ASW and it took less than 10 minutes.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:14 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
omg wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Any students who live at Woodlands or Jefferson Ridge want to weigh in on this?

Woodlands has a bus/transport that goes to the law school at 7:30 and 9am and picks up from the law school at 4pm and 5pm. Could students who live at Jefferson ridge or the Villas at Southern Ridge also take this? or is it for residents only? Is there any kind of transit that goes from this area to the law school besides this shuttle?
The Woodlands shuttle can be pretty helpful, but it also doesn't run fairly frequently--anytime there's snow or ice or sometimes just randomly (like today). As others have said, you definitely don't want to live in that area without a car, though I would definitely recommend it if you do!
This is to Heat and OMG:

Thanks for the responses. That is what I thought. I will be buying a car this summer. Just seeing if I could get away without it. How hard is the distance driving if it is snowing that day? Have you ever regretted living as far as you do? How long does the drive take on a regular weekday? I drove it on the weekend during ASW and it took less than 10 minutes.
In order: It rarely snows but when it did I had no trouble (and I'm at the top of the hill). My girlfriend has left late for work once while waiting for them to plow but it was a short delay and she probably could have gotten out if she had too but she knew her boss wouldn't mind. I have regretted living this far out because it cuts back on my ability to drink and get back home without being a bother for someone or spending $20. Obviously for me the pros outweigh the cons because I'll be staying here next year. The drive in to school takes around 15 minutes when leaving at 8:20 or so which is the earliest I ever have had to leave. During the middle of the day its likely a 10 minute commute each way. Leaving the school to get on the highway definitely adds time if you do it during rush hour. So between 4:45 and 6ish it probably takes about 20-25 minutes to get back from the law school purely because your waiting in traffic near the law school to get on the highway.

cd7573

New

Post by cd7573 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Does anyone live in barracks west apartments? If so any comments about it good bad or otherwise?

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Geneva wrote:any chance that uva will up scholly money if we inform them that we have hys acceptances? at the very least, will they match need-based aid at hys? thanks!
annnyone? thanks in advance!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:47 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:"The UVA Men's Gold team won the invitational by defeating a team from perennial top contender Florida Coastal School of Law 8-4."

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... ftball.htm
UVA Corec Blue also beat Florida Coastal to advance to the final. First time I've seen Florida Coastal leave Cville empty handed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jwalterweatherman

New

Post by jwalterweatherman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:14 am

Are they actually that good at softball?

Also, I didn't realize people took the big tournament so seriously. I imagined it was more of a drink-and-socialize kind of event.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 am

I keep hearing so much about the softball. I better try to improve my terrible hand-eye coordination over the summer.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:28 am

I thought I recognized a few Men's Gold members from bar review at the Biltmore

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:32 am

jwalterweatherman wrote:Are they actually that good at softball?

Also, I didn't realize people took the big tournament so seriously. I imagined it was more of a drink-and-socialize kind of event.
Florida Coastal is our #1 softball rival, they had won 1 of the championships each of the past 5 years (See: Past Winners http://www.ngsl.com/invitational/past_winners.html ). It is a drink and socialize event for most of the teams that show up but UVA and a few other schools take it pretty seriously because they have a legit chance to win. Also UVA has the "Orange" teams which don't take it that seriously generally.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:54 am

gladiator wrote:

Florida Coastal is our #1 softball rival, they had won 1 of the championships each of the past 5 years (See: Past Winners http://www.ngsl.com/invitational/past_winners.html ). It is a drink and socialize event for most of the teams that show up but UVA and a few other schools take it pretty seriously because they have a legit chance to win. Also UVA has the "Orange" teams which don't take it that seriously generally.
How do you go about getting onto one of the competitive teams for the big tourney? Is it just a group of friends or what?

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 am

cd7573 wrote:Does anyone live in barracks west apartments? If so any comments about it good bad or otherwise?
I looked at a one bedroom there last week. It was pretty small, especially the kitchen. It wasn't very nice either. I will say the price was right. As far as distance, you would need a car. It's a 20 minute walk minimum, more like 25. This is coming from someone who walked to school from a lot further than most people would be willing to. Still, if you have wheels and don't mind living in something small it's a pretty good deal. It is far from a lot of stuff too though.
Are 20-somethings in decent shape good at a sport invented for 14-year old girls and 45-year old men wearing knee braces? Yeah, we are. I mean, I personally am not, but UVA Law in general is. I will say I'm very good at drunk league. So good my team was banned from competition this year, but we shall rise again.

Re: playing in the tournament.

I don't think any group of people can just sign up to play in the tournament. NGSL can only let so many teams from each school in and I think the max is 6 from UVa. My impression is that the NGSL officers select who plays and on what team. You also have to be pretty good and a lot of the people on the top teams also play on one of the better in-house teams throughout the school year. However, any group of schmucks can form a team for the law school co-rec or men's league . I should probably shut up because I know there are real NGSL people who post and can give real answers.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:23 am

NGSL (North Grounds Softball League - a UVA student organization) runs the tournament and, ostensibly, picks or delegates the picking of the teams. As for being on NGSL, I'd make a joke about there being NGSL talent scouts at every 1L section softball game, but that might actually just be true :D

NGSL is pretty awesome, they run a bunch of different softball related tournaments (1L section tournament, sofball invitational, student faculty games, etc.) as well as leagues (1L sections in the fall, co-rec // mens leagues in the fall and spring, drunk league teams, etc.). UVA is definitely all about softball, and unless I'm mistaken at or near 100% of the organization and planning comes from NGSL.

See: http://www.ngsl.com/

cd7573

New

Post by cd7573 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:46 am

joeshmo thanks for the response. Yeah i knew it would be a little bit of a hike to get to school but was just curious of what experiences people have had with Barracks West. I will be living with my SO and we were thinking about one of the 2br townhouses.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:18 am

Geneva wrote:
Geneva wrote:any chance that uva will up scholly money if we inform them that we have hys acceptances? at the very least, will they match need-based aid at hys? thanks!
BUMP

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:55 pm

cd7573 wrote:joeshmo thanks for the response. Yeah i knew it would be a little bit of a hike to get to school but was just curious of what experiences people have had with Barracks West. I will be living with my SO and we were thinking about one of the 2br townhouses.
If you're happy to drive, I'd look further afield. There's lots of stuff up along Commonwealth/Georgetown/Hydraulic/Rio that's only a few minutes further away and much nicer. Check our private listings too - you'll get more house for less money.

jwalterweatherman

New

Post by jwalterweatherman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:42 pm

thesealocust wrote:NGSL (North Grounds Softball League - a UVA student organization) runs the tournament and, ostensibly, picks or delegates the picking of the teams. As for being on NGSL, I'd make a joke about there being NGSL talent scouts at every 1L section softball game, but that might actually just be true :D

NGSL is pretty awesome, they run a bunch of different softball related tournaments (1L section tournament, sofball invitational, student faculty games, etc.) as well as leagues (1L sections in the fall, co-rec // mens leagues in the fall and spring, drunk league teams, etc.). UVA is definitely all about softball, and unless I'm mistaken at or near 100% of the organization and planning comes from NGSL.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I played baseball poorly growing up, so the drunk league it is!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Geneva wrote:
Geneva wrote:
BUMP
AGAIN

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:20 pm

thesealocust wrote:NGSL (North Grounds Softball League - a UVA student organization) runs the tournament and, ostensibly, picks or delegates the picking of the teams. As for being on NGSL, I'd make a joke about there being NGSL talent scouts at every 1L section softball game, but that might actually just be true :D

We also plan feb club and organize the Dandelion parade.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:27 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:

We also plan feb club and organize the Dandelion parade.
Que es?

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Maybe something like this?

http://www.tulipfestival.org/

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:32 pm

As important as questions about costume parties and drinking are (yes, Feb club and Dandelion are both defined by drinking and costumes), it would be nice to get an answer to my financial aid question...does anyone know if Virginia match need-based aid offers from Harvard, Stanford, and Yale?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:37 pm

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Geneva wrote:As important as questions about costume parties and drinking are (yes, Feb club and Dandelion are both defined by drinking and costumes), it would be nice to get an answer to my financial aid question...does anyone know if Virginia match need-based aid offers from Harvard, Stanford, and Yale?
Why don't you just email UVA and see? Nobody is going to begrudge you trying to get some free $$. I doubt UVA is going to match need-based money. UVA doesn't do need-based money.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:28 am

albanach wrote:
cd7573 wrote:joeshmo thanks for the response. Yeah i knew it would be a little bit of a hike to get to school but was just curious of what experiences people have had with Barracks West. I will be living with my SO and we were thinking about one of the 2br townhouses.
If you're happy to drive, I'd look further afield. There's lots of stuff up along Commonwealth/Georgetown/Hydraulic/Rio that's only a few minutes further away and much nicer. Check our private listings too - you'll get more house for less money.
Agree. Barracks West is just far enough to be a bear to walk from, but not far enough to get the nicer places for the same price. My fiance and I looked there and as soon as we got in the car we looked at each other and said "It's too far/It's sort of dingy."

P.S. Hey, did you hear about this GENEVA guy? RUMOR is that he GOT IN to one of: HARVARD, YALE, OR STANFORD!?!?!?!?

P.P.S. Holy shit dandelion, I almost forgot about that. Good times. My artistic vision was brilliant, then we drank for 3 hours, and rubbed on each other, then it was just blue paint.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:07 am

Geneva wrote:As important as questions about costume parties and drinking are (yes, Feb club and Dandelion are both defined by drinking and costumes), it would be nice to get an answer to my financial aid question...does anyone know if Virginia match need-based aid offers from Harvard, Stanford, and Yale?
Did it occur to you that (a) maybe no one answered because no one knows, and (b) that the financial aid office at UVA Law will definitely know, and that there is no reason not to ask them?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”