UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
paulinaporizkova

Gold

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote: thanks. eek. i am nervous about this though :(
I know it's a big deal, but the pay off could be really good. You are going to have debt anyway, the job prospect at T10 is worth it, IMO. There are also a lot more things you can do in school to become more competitive post grad, just learn the ropes and work it right, it will help you.

We shall talk about this at the open house ;)
yayy! march 18 right?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:59 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
thanks for the responses. but i heard LRAP wasn't so great at UVA...
I believe they just reformulated it, it is much better now. Honestly, paying full IBR up to 55k and sliding scale from 55k-75k seems like it would be pretty outstanding.

I think that UVA is easily your best option. Whether a 50/50 chance of hitting biglaw is worth the risk of 130k is up to you, ultimately. It depends a lot on your risk aversion and what else you could be doing besides going to law school.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:00 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I know it's a big deal, but the pay off could be really good. You are going to have debt anyway, the job prospect at T10 is worth it, IMO. There are also a lot more things you can do in school to become more competitive post grad, just learn the ropes and work it right, it will help you.

yayy! march 18 right?
Yup! I am going to go to the BBQ on Thurs. night, and mix in a TLS happy hour. Be sure to come!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:01 am

r6_philly wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

yayy! march 18 right?
Yup! I am going to go to the BBQ on Thurs. night, and mix in a TLS happy hour. Be sure to come!
i will!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:03 am

bgdddymtty wrote:Um, have we gotten so distracted by other matters that we have forgotten to complain that nearly all of the remaining 1L evals went up yesterday morning, and we still have not a hint of new grades? SRO, WTF?
People are going to be pissed when they see this thread has jumped a few pages in a short timeframe.

To be honest, I assumed that those grades had been posted by now. Have they not? They didn't post any evals/grades last Wednesday, either, but there was a large update late Friday. I am going to guess that there will be something similar happening tomorrow, with nearly all 1L grades going up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:27 am

5ky wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:Um, have we gotten so distracted by other matters that we have forgotten to complain that nearly all of the remaining 1L evals went up yesterday morning, and we still have not a hint of new grades? SRO, WTF?
People are going to be pissed when they see this thread has jumped a few pages in a short timeframe.

To be honest, I assumed that those grades had been posted by now. Have they not? They didn't post any evals/grades last Wednesday, either, but there was a large update late Friday. I am going to guess that there will be something similar happening tomorrow, with nearly all 1L grades going up.
It's bad enough that (according to a professor of mine) they pushed all 1L professors to have their grades in by last Friday, and yet they still haven't updated grades since then. It's absolutely ridiculous that all those new evals posted at an oddly early time yesterday, and then...nothing. If you weren't going to post the grades, why screw with us by posting the evals?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:08 am

New goal in life: find a job where I can make nearly six figures in a city with a low cost of living, be totally incompetent, and not get fired.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:24 am

Cavalier wrote:New goal in life: find a job where I can make nearly six figures in a city with a low cost of living, be totally incompetent, and not get fired.
And be eligible for the 10-year federal LRAP!

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:10 am

Cavalier wrote:New goal in life: find a job where I can make nearly six figures in a city with a low cost of living, be totally incompetent, and not get fired.
:x that's it
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:57 am

I'm not sure when it happened, but an eval for Verkerke (Contacts, G) is now up.

Well, this eval never ended up getting re-posted, so it's gone now. Another fine effort from our pals in the SRO today, looks like February grades to me!
Last edited by 5ky on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:23 pm

And now ALL of the Fall 2010 evaluations have disappeared from LawWeb. Bang up job, there, SRO.

Hopefully, though, if they're screwing stuff up, that means that they're making changes, so maybe we'll finally see some grades get posted? Or is that just naive and wishful thinking?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:30 pm

ILikeIke wrote:And now ALL of the Fall 2010 evaluations have disappeared from LawWeb. Bang up job, there, SRO.

Hopefully, though, if they're screwing stuff up, that means that they're making changes, so maybe we'll finally see some grades get posted? Or is that just naive and wishful thinking?
This happened last Friday right before they put up a large number of evals (grades followed around 7pm that night). I assume you'll start to see new evals being posted shortly.

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:34 pm

5ky wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:And now ALL of the Fall 2010 evaluations have disappeared from LawWeb. Bang up job, there, SRO.

This happened last Friday right before they put up a large number of evals (grades followed around 7pm that night). I assume you'll start to see new evals being posted shortly.
Good. I still haven't seen a grade. I've been starting to wonder if I actually took classes last semester, or if I just showed up at the same place 3x a week and listened to lectures for the sheer joy of it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:17 pm

I GOT A NEW GRADE!

It's a "YR" in LRW.

Can a brother get a refund up in here?

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:04 pm

2 people from my section, who shall remain nameless, spoke to SRO today. They informed me SRO said that grades had been sent to main campus for processing and nothing will go up until Monday at the earliest.

1. Just what I was told second hand
2. Don't shoot the messenger

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:11 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:2 people from my section, who shall remain nameless, spoke to SRO today. They informed me SRO said that grades had been sent to main campus for processing and nothing will go up until Monday at the earliest.

T_T

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:12 pm

how hard would it be to set up a system where the grades are automatically emailed to students at the same time they're sent to main campus for processing?

(really fuckin easy)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:15 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:2 people from my section, who shall remain nameless, spoke to SRO today. They informed me SRO said that grades had been sent to main campus for processing and nothing will go up until Monday at the earliest.

What does Cary Bennett and the SRO actually do if the main campus processes this stuff? Send out scheduling e-mails and corrections to those e-mails?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Hmm... If main grounds is the source of the holdup, then I feel much more comfortable getting irate. I'd suggest that any 1L's who are waiting on grades and are still in the job seeking process send nicely worded complaint emails to the Dean.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:38 pm

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:01 am

:evil: :evil:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:26 am

biguva needs to reevaluate its priorities :roll:

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:54 pm

omg wrote:

biguva needs to reevaluate its priorities :roll:
I still don't get why it takes more than 2 weeks to grade exams when, from a practical point of view, that is the most important task of a professor.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Terrific...SIS will be down for maintenance tomorrow? I give it 50-50 odds they screw something up and delay grades another week.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:56 pm

So I'm not sure if anyone really talks about this in your class, but would anyone know if a lot of incoming class members are chosen from the WL each year? I just got WL'ed at UVA and I'd really love to attend, however I am not sure if there will be much of a chance of me getting off the WL.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”