UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
anon sequitur

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by anon sequitur » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:56 pm

lovejopd wrote:
Hello, UVA website says that 1Ls "5-9 hours" electives with other "9" required courses(Con, Property, LRW) for the Spring. Does it mean that students SHOULD take at least "2" electives?
Nope, for exactly the reasons you note, 14 is the minimum for 1L spring. You can take 12 per semester starting 2L (though you need to average 13-14 to get enough credits to graduate).

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:03 pm

It's also 5-7 credits, so you really have to take a minimum of 2 electives (although you could do a 4 credit course and a 1 credit short course), and can't take more than 2 (unless you got creative and took a short course, which I don't know why you would if you already had 2 other electives)

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:Can anyone comment on whether Nelson (for civ pro) or Coughlin (for crim law) want you to mention case names on the final?
It's not really important, but you shouldn't ignore it. In civ pro there's no getting around it for some things. Neither are sticklers for using/naming cases or anything though.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:37 pm

5ky wrote:It's also 5-7 credits, so you really have to take a minimum of 2 electives (although you could do a 4 credit course and a 1 credit short course), and can't take more than 2 (unless you got creative and took a short course, which I don't know why you would if you already had 2 other electives)
Any drawback to taking a 4 credit "substantive" course (like corps or Evidence) and a short course as far as OCI?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Br3v wrote:
5ky wrote:It's also 5-7 credits, so you really have to take a minimum of 2 electives (although you could do a 4 credit course and a 1 credit short course), and can't take more than 2 (unless you got creative and took a short course, which I don't know why you would if you already had 2 other electives)
Any drawback to taking a 4 credit "substantive" course (like corps or Evidence) and a short course as far as OCI?
Doubtful. If you do poorly first semester, though, it is likely in your best interest to try to take above the bare minimum of credits in an effort to pull your GPA up

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Br3v wrote:
This is probably the smartest move because you will have only 3 finals, and could save evidence for the last day. I also am uncertain taking less after doing poorly would be smart. Wouldn't you want to go all in at that point?

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Is there really no nightlife on a Sunday night? The corner is dead!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:48 pm

PepperJack wrote:
Br3v wrote:
This is probably the smartest move because you will have only 3 finals, and could save evidence for the last day. I also am uncertain taking less after doing poorly would be smart. Wouldn't you want to go all in at that point?
That's what I said, if you did poorly you shouldn't take the bare minimum.

Also, there's some question of whether you will actually do better with only 3 exams or not. You have to really ask yourself if you will use the extra time to study for your other classes, or use it as time to relax.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:04 am

5ky wrote:
PepperJack wrote:
Br3v wrote:
That's what I said, if you did poorly you shouldn't take the bare minimum.

Also, there's some question of whether you will actually do better with only 3 exams or not. You have to really ask yourself if you will use the extra time to study for your other classes, or use it as time to relax.
Only the methamphetamine dealers in the Central Virginia area could answer that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:59 am

5ky wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Doubtful. If you do poorly first semester, though, it is likely in your best interest to try to take above the bare minimum of credits in an effort to pull your GPA up
Ok, so you don't think it will be a factor if (holding gpa constant) I took 5 elective credits 1L spring compared to 7? How many do most ppl take?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 am

There's no standard and it really doesn't matter. Workload varies by a lot of factors which are more important than credit hours, especially if the variance is only two - pick a pair of classes that sound good and don't worry about the number of credits.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:18 am

Yeah, I don't think # of credits matters. I took 5 because I had done well first semester and wanted to protect my GPA as much as I could.

The downside of taking only 5 elective credits is that you have to make those up somewhere else, which is a pain. I consistently felt like I was behind in terms of credits, and had to take a number of short courses/J terms, which I disliked. They are relatively easy credits, but I could have done without them.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:06 am

So, considering the recent changes to the curve and assuming median grades 1L fall, would it be a good strategic decision to take a course packed with LR kids (like Legislation with Nelson)? The curve moves up to match the average GPA of the incoming students, right?

90% sure the answer is no herp derpington don't do that, but thought I'd ask anyway. Picking classes without having any grades to base decisions on kind of sucks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:09 am

You won't be able to take most gunnery courses anyway (requires LR). Even if the curve floats with the GPA of the students in the class, that would indicate any bump to average grade awarded in the course will come with an exactly matching bump in competition for the grades, neh?

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:11 am

I think with the new system it's not a bad move to take classes with the LR types, and it's not hard to pull an A- in those (though if you need an A it'd be rough). I would take something you're interested in.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:17 pm

North wrote:So, considering the recent changes to the curve and assuming median grades 1L fall, would it be a good strategic decision to take a course packed with LR kids (like Legislation with Nelson)? The curve moves up to match the average GPA of the incoming students, right?

90% sure the answer is no herp derpington don't do that, but thought I'd ask anyway. Picking classes without having any grades to base decisions on kind of sucks.
I think using an above mean curve is discretionary. I would hope all profs do help the students out, but I can't read their minds.

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Has anyone taken Consumer Law and/or a class with Hines? Thinking of enrolling for the spring. Thx in advance.

ALSO Antitrust with McGinnis? There is virtually nothing in course evals about him. Scurry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cfr1225

New

Post by cfr1225 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:03 pm

shibby wrote:Has anyone taken Consumer Law and/or a class with Hines? Thinking of enrolling for the spring. Thx in advance.

ALSO Antitrust with McGinnis? There is virtually nothing in course evals about him. Scurry.
I had a friend who took Consumer Law - he said it was pretty dry because it was pretty statute-heavy.

McGinnis is a visiting prof, so you'll probably be hard pressed to find much about him, since only people in his classes right now will have any insight.

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:26 pm

cfr1225 wrote:
shibby wrote:Has anyone taken Consumer Law and/or a class with Hines? Thinking of enrolling for the spring. Thx in advance.

I had a friend who took Consumer Law - he said it was pretty dry because it was pretty statute-heavy.

McGinnis is a visiting prof, so you'll probably be hard pressed to find much about him, since only people in his classes right now will have any insight.
Ok, thanks. Any chance someone here is in a McGinnis class?

Mack12

Bronze

Post by Mack12 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Any 2/3Ls have any thoughts on taking Jurisprudence with Barzun for 1L spring? I 've heard that its mainly comprised of law review kids and gunners, which isn't ideal. Any truth to this?

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:01 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:How portable is a UVA JD compared to similar tier T14s? I have some ties to a few secondary markets (PNW, Denver, Minneapolis, Houston, Milwaukee) — how does UVA compare to NU or Georgetown in cities outside of DC/NYC?

What about Chicago with no ties?

What about California with no ties?
From experience and anecdoates, in Secondary markets you listed (except Houston probably), if you have median or above grades, you'll probably be treated as someone in top 5-10% of local law school. If you have good grades, they will be skeptical that you really want to come back to that market instead of going NYC/DC.

California without ties is more difficult in some places (OC, SD) than others (LA/SF). But regardless, unless you have LR grades, you'll need a good, convincing reason that you want to be in California (but this is true with most markets anyways).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Mack12 wrote:Any 2/3Ls have any thoughts on taking Jurisprudence with Barzun for 1L spring? I 've heard that its mainly comprised of law review kids and gunners, which isn't ideal. Any truth to this?
Not even close

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:16 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
Mack12 wrote:Any 2/3Ls have any thoughts on taking Jurisprudence with Barzun for 1L spring? I 've heard that its mainly comprised of law review kids and gunners, which isn't ideal. Any truth to this?
Not even close
So then, it is the opposite of gunner LR kids? How is Barzun?

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:17 pm

shibby wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:
Not even close
So then, it is the opposite of gunner LR kids? How is Barzun?
LR classes are easily identifiable by professor, not necessarily subject matter (though there's a strong correlation between the two). Barzun is just not an LR prof (Nelson, Jeffries, Collins, Duffy, Prakash, Schauer...)

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Cool, gracias! If any of you have taken Jurisprudence, did you find it philosophy-heavy to the point of zero comprehension. I can deal with a little bit of density but too much can make my head spin.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”