UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
atlantahoo

New

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by atlantahoo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:10 am

lawandorder2019 wrote:
atlantahoo wrote:Haven't put down my seat deposit yet, but almost certainly attending next fall... any suggestions for dog-friendly housing? I went to UVA for undergrad, so I'm familiar with Cville generally but have never lived anywhere besides the Corner. Do any law students live around Rugby, or is it pretty unusual?
I went to UVA for undergrad too, welcome fellow doublehoo! I thought about living close to where I lived during undergrad but ultimately decided to live on Arlington, by the law school. There are some people that live further away from the law school, but nobody I know of lives near undergrads. I'd recommend for at least 1L year trying to stay closer to the law school than the corner simply because the bus ride is not fun and you'll want to be close for social activities and the ease of getting to school every day. I'd recommend Jeffersonian or Arlington Court Condos. I know Jeffersonian is pet friendly and I believe Arlington Court Condos is as well - though not 100% on that.

awesome, thanks! i'm flying up for a visit soon, so i'll definitely check out both those places.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Could someone who's had Prof. White PM me?
Last edited by Nagster5 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meno

New

Post by Meno » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:23 pm

atlantahoo wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:
atlantahoo wrote:Haven't put down my seat deposit yet, but almost certainly attending next fall... any suggestions for dog-friendly housing? I went to UVA for undergrad, so I'm familiar with Cville generally but have never lived anywhere besides the Corner. Do any law students live around Rugby, or is it pretty unusual?
I went to UVA for undergrad too, welcome fellow doublehoo! I thought about living close to where I lived during undergrad but ultimately decided to live on Arlington, by the law school. There are some people that live further away from the law school, but nobody I know of lives near undergrads. I'd recommend for at least 1L year trying to stay closer to the law school than the corner simply because the bus ride is not fun and you'll want to be close for social activities and the ease of getting to school every day. I'd recommend Jeffersonian or Arlington Court Condos. I know Jeffersonian is pet friendly and I believe Arlington Court Condos is as well - though not 100% on that.

awesome, thanks! i'm flying up for a visit soon, so i'll definitely check out both those places.
Check with the owner of each condo at ACC about pets - some have restrictions. Just called one owner and was told my Aussie is too big for her unit... Should have sent her a picture of him as a puppy. No way she could have said no after that. :D

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Nagster5 wrote:Could someone who's had Prof. White can PM me?
Which one...

logicgames

New

Post by logicgames » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:12 am

#Clueless1LQuestion:

Do we automatically get our exams back, or de we have to ask the professors for them?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:32 am

logicgames wrote:#Clueless1LQuestion:

Do we automatically get our exams back, or de we have to ask the professors for them?
you almost never get your exam back. just grade posted online. i got one of mine back, from cohen, but that was the only one other than paper classes.

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:01 am

logicgames wrote:#Clueless1LQuestion:

You can ask your professor to review the exam. Send them an email, some will direct you to their secretary and others will set up an appointment to talk it over with you.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:45 am

Yardbird wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:Could someone who's had Prof. White PM me?
Which one...
Didn't know there were two, GE

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:56 am

Another clueless 1L question: WHERE ARE MY DANG GRADES?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

atlantahoo

New

Post by atlantahoo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:32 am

Meno wrote:
atlantahoo wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:

Check with the owner of each condo at ACC about pets - some have restrictions. Just called one owner and was told my Aussie is too big for her unit... Should have sent her a picture of him as a puppy. No way she could have said no after that. :D
I have an Aussie as well! Well, half Aussie, half Poodle. I was honestly thinking of trying to get a waiver saying that he's an emotional support animal- I've considered enrolling him in therapy dog training, so now may be the time. I'll definitely start calling around at ACC, though.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:11 pm

don't feel tied to arlington/ivy area. qol is markedly better for first couple months/ first semester 1L year if you live over there (section pregames and other events), but people start falling into corner/ midtown/ downtown/ belmont routines shortly thereafter. so living east of rugby can be just as good for that stuff as soon as 2nd semester. if you'd rather be elsewhere, be elsewhere. there are law students between grady and preston from rugby to 14th fairly consistently year to year, so consider poking around that area too. a bit quieter than grandmarc or wertland but still easily walkable to bars and a pretty easy daily commute. plus some dog friendly places iirc (at least, i know of people who had dogs there).

Wahoo19

New

Post by Wahoo19 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Finished first semester with a 3.51. Does anyone know where that puts me percentile wise? And is law review out of the picture for me already, or do I just need to get an "A" or two?

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Anyone interested in a hapless 1L as a roommate next year? Trying to find someone to reduce COA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Wahoo19 wrote:Finished first semester with a 3.51. Does anyone know where that puts me percentile wise? And is law review out of the picture for me already, or do I just need to get an "A" or two?
That's awful. You should drop out.

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Wahoo19 wrote:Finished first semester with a 3.51. Does anyone know where that puts me percentile wise? And is law review out of the picture for me already, or do I just need to get an "A" or two?
Congrats Wahoo19! You did really well. Keep it up and you'll be in a good spot for OGIs.

Regarding VLR, the cutoff has come up in recent years. I'm in the class of 2017, and our cutoff was in the high 3.7s. In previous years it had been between a 3.71-3.73. Not sure about the current 2L class, but I know of people in the low 3.7s that didn't grade on.

If the same is true for your year, you're probably going to have to pull close to, if not above a 4.0 for your second semester. It's definitely hard, but not impossible. I bumped up from a 3.56 first semester to a semester GPA of 3.85ish for my second semester, but the total wasn't enough for me to make VLR.

Don't forget, you can always write on or grade on at the end of 2L. It will be much easier to bump up into the high 3.7s after three more semesters, rather than one. And even if you don't make VLR, speaking from experience having a GPA just below the cutoff gives you most of the employment benefits for firm selection without the boatloads of work that VLR has in store.

Wahoo19

New

Post by Wahoo19 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:25 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
Wasn't saying that I was disappointed with my grades at all.

Wahoo19

New

Post by Wahoo19 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:27 pm

cornerstone wrote:
Congrats Wahoo19! You did really well. Keep it up and you'll be in a good spot for OGIs.

Regarding VLR, the cutoff has come up in recent years. I'm in the class of 2017, and our cutoff was in the high 3.7s. In previous years it had been between a 3.71-3.73. Not sure about the current 2L class, but I know of people in the low 3.7s that didn't grade on.

If the same is true for your year, you're probably going to have to pull close to, if not above a 4.0 for your second semester. It's definitely hard, but not impossible. I bumped up from a 3.56 first semester to a semester GPA of 3.85ish for my second semester, but the total wasn't enough for me to make VLR.

Don't forget, you can always write on or grade on at the end of 2L. It will be much easier to bump up into the high 3.7s after three more semesters, rather than one. And even if you don't make VLR, speaking from experience having a GPA just below the cutoff gives you most of the employment benefits for firm selection without the boatloads of work that VLR has in store.
Thanks. Glad to know I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Wahoo19 wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:
Wasn't saying that I was disappointed with my grades at all.
Haha, if you were then you'd be the worst. But seriously, congrats on a great first semester. I'm sure a lot of people would kill to trade places with you right now.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:05 am

Hi all! Would someone please give me more information about concentrations, specifically how many classes do you need to take in one concentration to earn it? Are there instances of graduating with multiple concentrations? Or, is this just a way for the school to categorize the classes?

Thanks!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:18 am

I'm pretty sure it's just a categorization tool, like you said

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:34 pm

they offer certificates for completion of certain clusters of classes, but really I don't think there's anything substantive to these, you just get a cert and you can put that on your resume if you want. Except for maybe the law and business one, I don't think employers really care about this, it's mostly a marketing thing to attract 0L's who have been given the idea that specialization/certifications/etc. are important.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:48 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:they offer certificates for completion of certain clusters of classes, but really I don't think there's anything substantive to these, you just get a cert and you can put that on your resume if you want. Except for maybe the law and business one, I don't think employers really care about this, it's mostly a marketing thing to attract 0L's who have been given the idea that specialization/certifications/etc. are important.
Thanks. Yeah, I had a feeling. At least it makes scanning the courses easy.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:00 pm

yeah and you definitely don't get any sort of certificate for the "law and business" program. i never really understood it, there's no certificate or practical benefit that i could really tell. i pretty much took all of those classes anyway but never put anything on my resume about it.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:21 am

Thoughts on living at The Range?

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:51 am

can't beat the location. if the obvious QOL type negatives don't scare you off, you're probably a good fit for it. east side is probably better - gardens are better over there and it's got better access to the corner, plus west side has student groups in hotel c thursdays and fridays that can be annoying if you're near there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”